HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Jan. 30, 2014| Flyers 3 at Ducks 5

Old
01-31-2014, 09:38 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
For some reason, I don't hate this loss so much. We put up 3 goals against a great team, got some ****** bounces and defense that **** the bed (especially Timonen and Grossmann). Happy to see Gus doing very well.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
I am confident that there are teams out there that would want Grossmann as if you have a highly mobile d core he would be a great addition as a shutdown guy !!!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I am confident that there are teams out there that would want Grossmann as if you have a highly mobile d core he would be a great addition as a shutdown guy !!!
I think a move involving Grossmann would have to wait until the offseason when the cap goes back up. Teams are pretty tight up against the cap right now & he's still signed for like 3 years after this one so there's still an opportunity for teams to acquire him at a later date.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The good:
-Pretty good effort all around
-Gustafsson looked like prime Kimmo lite tonight
-Lecavalier was solid

The bad:
-Timonen is sad to watch now
-Grossmann is literally immobile
-****** deflections

The ugly:
-Bouncing pucks. Seriously, wtf.
Lecavalier was not solid. He was terrible. I'm not sure what you were watching.

5 on 5 Corsi...

Corsi for: 4
Corsi against: 13

... The 4th line also got killed in Corsi. The Couts line and the G line did very well in Corsi.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post

5 on 5 Corsi...

... The 4th line also got killed in Corsi. The Couts line and the G line did very well in Corsi.
Maybe he was watching the game and not some advanced stat sheet. He did score a goal after all. If that's terrible, I'd take that every game.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:01 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Maybe he was watching the game and not some advanced stat sheet. He did score a goal after all. If that's terrible, I'd take that every game.
Oh horray! He scored a goal! Well than it is ok to be horrible for the rest of that game and then the next 10 games! That is the formula to be a good hockey player! Don't play any defense or battle! Score once in a while on the PP, while adding next to nothing else for the team and we are cool! Let me guess, you were a Danny Briere fan the last couple seasons also? Because that is pretty much what Vinny is becoming!

Old
01-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Funf

You know, I'm not terribly upset about last night's loss. Get a bounce here or there, and we'd be looking at a different outcome. Aside from a few key plays, I thought we played generally solid hockey. That's a good enough effort last night to beat most teams in the NHL, but when a team is 'locked in' like Anaheim right now, you just have to be perfect to win.

I still don't think this team has what it takes to go deep into the playoffs, but it's nice to watch good hockey for a change, even if we end up on the wrong end.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
You know, I'm not terribly upset about last night's loss. Get a bounce here or there, and we'd be looking at a different outcome. Aside from a few key plays, I thought we played generally solid hockey. That's a good enough effort last night to beat most teams in the NHL, but when a team is 'locked in' like Anaheim right now, you just have to be perfect to win.

I still don't think this team has what it takes to go deep into the playoffs, but it's nice to watch good hockey for a change, even if we end up on the wrong end.
exactly... and well said.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:06 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Oh horray! He scored a goal! Well than it is ok to be horrible for the rest of that game and then the next 10 games! That is the formula to be a good hockey player! Don't play any defense or battle! Score once in a while on the PP, while adding next to nothing else for the team and we are cool! Let me guess, you were a Danny Briere fan the last couple seasons also? Because that is pretty much what Vinny is becoming!
It's scary, but he could potentially be worse with the back slowing him down. I was never a big fan of Briere, but at least he could get from point A to point B. He didn't always want to, especially if B was the defensive zone, but he could.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:06 PM
PhillyPhaithful

So happy to hear Gus played well again I have always been a big fan of his.

PhillyPhaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:07 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Streit-Grossmann pairing is getting destroyed. Would like to see the Gustafsson/Schenn pairing get more time. They are playing good hockey. Havent seen good chemistry like that in awhile.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

5 on 5 Corsi...

Lol, so much irony right here.

I love advanced stats, but people like you are the ones who give advanced stats guys a bad rep. Lecavalier played a solid game. He scored a goal and generated quality scoring opportunities. For $4m a year, I ask nothing more of him.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

I love advanced stats, but people like you are the ones who give advanced stats guys a bad rep. Lecavalier played a solid game. He scored a goal and generated quality scoring opportunities. For $4m a year, I ask nothing more of him.
Vinny might have some bad games here and there, like EVERY other player does, but last nite was not one of them..

he was as good as anyone could ask.

in fact he damn near potted 2 goals, save for a miraculous glove by andersen.

if anyone had a horrific game it was Kimmo and Streit, good lord both were awful

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Stizzle

Quote:

We're going to have to agree, to disagree on this one. He isn't generating anything. Gus is the one that generated the scoring chance. I will give Vinny much credit for burying it, though. But he has not been burying enough to make-up for the rest of his game, which is lackluster.

Here are the Flyers bottom 3 forwards (with more than 20 games played this season) in Relative Corsi 5 on 5...

Lecavalier: -12.6
Hall: -15.6
Rinaldo: -18.4

... and the next guy on the list is B. Schenn at -6.2, which is about 2x better than Lecavalier. It shouldn't be shocking that B. Schenn is next worse, considering he is put on a line with Vinny so often.

Last edited by Stizzle: 01-31-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old
01-31-2014, 01:37 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

missed most of the game but caught the second half.

the ice looked pretty terrible and it killed any chance at a comeback late in the game.

those corsi stats are pretty relevant for schenn and vinny when you consider they were out there for the ducks first two goals, the second of which was pretty deflating after a good first period for the flyers (from what i gather). hopefully they can find a spot for vinny in the lineup but he brings schenn down quite a bit.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Hiesenberg

Vinny has looked good lately.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
hopefully they can find a spot for vinny in the lineup but he brings schenn down quite a bit.
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Vinny-Simmonds

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:33 PM
blinds

Looking at it again, Giroux really **** the bed on that shorthanded goal. He and Winnik started from the same position at the same speed, Giroux just didn't keep up and gave him the shot uncontested.

Really would like to see better effort from the captain, it's been a problem this year.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:35 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Vinny-Simmonds
This makes so much more sense just for the speed of the players. Schenn is too fast for Vinny and Simmonds (not as much), while Hartnell is too slow for Giroux and Voracek. For all the different combinations they've tried, why is it Schenn never gets a shot with Giroux? I don't understand why they like slotting rookies on that top LW spot.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Looking at it again, Giroux really **** the bed on that shorthanded goal. He and Winnik started from the same position at the same speed, Giroux just didn't keep up and gave him the shot uncontested.

Really would like to see better effort from the captain, it's been a problem this year.
His backchecking hasn't been too great this year to put it nicely, some times because of effort & some times because of poor defensively play.

I really do think a move to the wing in the future would benefit him & the team more to where he can just focus on offense & not have to carry the defensive responsibilities that comes with being a center on a line.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

Except for the fact that Giroux was facing the opposite direction as Winnik from the starting point. It's not exactly easy to catch someone under those circumstances, especially when your just an average skater like Giroux is.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Funf

Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't know if the effort wasn't there, or he was gassed, or what, but it would've been nice had he covered Winnik.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 05:51 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Except for the fact that Giroux was facing the opposite direction as Winnik from the starting point. It's not exactly easy to catch someone under those circumstances, especially when your just an average skater like Giroux is.
Not really, watch it closely and they both take almost the exact same first strides at the same time. He slows down in the neutral zone when he could've kept up. He didn't have to catch him, just keep up.

Old
01-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Garbage Goal

I just watched the highlight and yeah Giroux definitely slows down towards the end of the backcheck there even though he could have just put the pressure on at least.

Giroux has a tendency to do that lately it seems with slowing down his backchecks in situations like that. I have no idea why he does it, but it's irritating honestly.

Seeing where this team is at with it's center lineup I would actually be a big fan of Giroux switching to wing. It's where he played at times when Carter and Richards were here and Giroux doesn't have an especially strong defensive game or even a strong face-off ability so what is the reason to keep him at center really? Other then his name being Giroux?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
gto64dr

I said Kimo is dumb because he continues to do the same stupid thing game in and game out. Passes cross ice from the top of the slot. Just shoot the puck or throw it deep. But he gives up the shot and throws it cross ice. It ruins our PP and sometimes loses us the game. He's lost a step but that's not the biggest problem. He can't check either. He is a drag on the team. I'd sooner have a young guy brought up, I could live with mistakes as long as he learns.

gto64dr is offline   Reply With Quote