HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Avalounge: Where Everybody Knows Your Name! (Cheers Theme Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Hai gaiz

Old
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Hai gaiz

OMG! Chibi's alive and hasn't forgotten us!

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

Yeah, but I have no idea what he said... Is he speaking East Korean?

02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Alright gentlemen, I believe that it is time...

Spoil:

For an official FM 14 avs league.

That's right, I believe that we should stop setting our FM ambitions against the CPU, and against each other.

Here is my proposition:

We choose one league to play in. Each player is randomly assigned a team. In the spirit of fairness any team that is recently promoted, recently relegated, or a champion/runner up in the league are not eligible to be assigned. There may be other restrictions. For example, if we play the Portuguese league I contend Sporting should be considered an "off limits" team.

I am more than glad to host, just let me know if you are in.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
How did you know.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helton4Hall View Post

Spoil:

For an official FM 14 avs league.

That's right, I believe that we should stop setting our FM ambitions against the CPU, and against each other.

Here is my proposition:

We choose one league to play in. Each player is randomly assigned a team. In the spirit of fairness any team that is recently promoted, recently relegated, or a champion/runner up in the league are not eligible to be assigned. There may be other restrictions. For example, if we play the Portuguese league I contend Sporting should be considered an "off limits" team.

I am more than glad to host, just let me know if you are in.

Hell Yeah, I'm in!!!!

But seriously, I'm not interested even one iota.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helton4Hall View Post
If only there was a good hockey version instead of this soccer nonsense... If I knew more about soccer I would be game (even if I am not a fan of the sport), but as I sit now I would be Oilers of the league.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Hai gaiz
My favorite mod is here!!!!!!

Spoil:
If we get enough people, I think it would be cool. A small group, about 4 people is fine . If we want more, we can always go to the soccer forum and get more people

Old
02-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
If only there was a good hockey version instead of this soccer nonsense... If I knew more about soccer I would be game (even if I am not a fan of the sport), but as I sit now I would be Oilers of the league.
One day that will be FHM. Give it two years.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:48 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

Whats with all the spoiler talk.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:52 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Whats with all the spoiler talk.
FM talk... there was some nonsense about people not liking it and thinking it should be in another thread... bickering ensued.... so spoiler is now FM talk.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
Also the spoilers are for how great D2M is....since no one wants to read that, we put that in spoilers as well.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:57 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

What's fm?!

Old
02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
Also the spoilers are for how great D2M is....since no one wants to read that, we put that in spoilers as well.
who the ****s D2M?

Old
02-26-2014, 12:04 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
What's fm?!
Football Manager... a soccer GM simulation video game.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:04 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
FM talk... there was some nonsense about people not liking it and thinking it should be in another thread... bickering ensued.... so spoiler is now FM talk.
Not that this matters but it's not "nonsense" if there's a number of people who don't like it and are told to just "Deal with it". A question was asked, the answer to that question was negative and that's that. I wasn't trying to piss people off.

The spoiler tags aren't necessary either.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Not that this matters but it's not "nonsense" if there's a number of people who don't like it and are told to just "Deal with it".

The spoiler tags aren't necessary either.
That was said in jest because in the end... it really doesn't matter. There are a number of things that people don't like and have to deal with. I don't like certain things, but it isn't my board, nor am I a mod... so my opinion really doesn't matter in the end nor should it.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:14 PM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

Yeah get that FM crap out of my thread.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Alive yes, just got stuck in "no external network traffic" hell and couldn't get out. But that company laid me off, so now I can go on HFBoards yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
East Korean is like East German. The bestworst kind.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
What happened to all my Nathan Sturgis posts?

Old
02-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Awesome I like this free pass to talk about anything I want. If people don't like it, tough.

So let's talk more about beer, since some people don't like it..

I'm 2 months into my brewing experience, and just finished my 4th batch - an extract Kwak clone. I've built a 4 tap kegerator and have went through a lot of trials and tribulations so far it's safe to say. Just wanted to post my lessons learned for all to see and maybe comment on. Who the hell knows - maybe it will help someone who just started.

1 - Create Your Brew style
I will preface this whole thing by saying that you're going to create your own style in brewing, and what I do is different from how my friends probably do it. How you set your equipment up, what you do during the brew process, etc...You're going to get your own method to your madness. So take ideas from this site, but don't take 100% of what you read as gospel either.

2 - Brewing is Pretty Forgiving
My first batch of beer was a mess. With little precision and a whole lot of mass confusion, I somehow managed to get some wort into a fermenter. I didn't know if my wort had been boiled, I spilled a bunch during the chill process, and I only had cleaner and NOT sanitizer. I was scared to death that I infected the stuff. One week later I did a quick taste test and it was fine. Two months later I am getting compliments right and left on that beer. There's so much science to this art, numbers and calculations being thrown around and hundredths of an ounce grain measurements. For at least your first few brews, chill out. Enjoy the experience. Know that whatever comes out of these first batches, you're probably going to make them better and better every time you try. And if you screw up something, you're still probably going to end up with some good beer. And if you DO screw up and it tastes awful, it just means you get to brew that second batch even quicker and speed up your learning curve.

3 - Make your own Wort Chiller
The wort chiller is probably one of the most complex steps to brewing. The reason that I highly recommend making your own Wort Chiller is that you can select the size of the hoses that are specific to your situation. In my instance, I am brewing in the backyard of my house. The garden hose faucet is literally 15 feet away. My wort chiller is therefore sized with 20 feet on one side, and only 5 feet on the other (I take the 5 foot hose and put it into a cooler where I do some of my sanitizing and cleanup). The LAST thing you want to do during the chilling process is lug around a 5 gallon pot of boiling water. It's dangerous, it's unsafe on so many levels, and lastly - you don't want to drop all that beer you just spent 2 hours making. Build your own wort chiller, and size your hoses appropriately to your water source and to your water dump-out point. Save yourself some trouble for the same (or even cheaper) price.

4 - Know your boiling point
This one is close to home for me, living in Denver Colorado. I guess it's pretty obvious when something boils, but for the life of me I was always shooting for a higher temperature all the while not knowing that water boils at only 202 degrees here in Denver. Getting to the boiling point is absolutely key to all of this. You'll spend 60 minutes at least in the boiling point zone. Know what temp you are shooting for.

5 - Corny Keg vs. Sanke
This argument seems to be like Republican vs. Democrat. I use Sankes, and I swear by them. About 5-10 years ago you could get corny kegs really cheap. They became really popular with homebrewers. In short, the prices have skyrocketed on them and you'll probably find 80% of people on here use them. I believe it's to the point where corny kegs are now more expensive than Sankes. I use the slim 1/6 barrel sanke and most of the time when I have found them it's because someone is going to corny kegs. Corny kegs in my mind are the new wave while Sanke's are still reliable but just a little more to work. I will tell ya though - I fought with my sanke kegs for about 3 nights in a row. But with some tips and watching a lot of youtube videos, the sankes are not a problem for me anymore. I can get one unlocked and locked in less than 2 mins now. And I swoop in like nobody's business when I see someone dumping them off cheap to get a corny. The best parts of sankes? Few parts, cheaper now than cornys, and can take them anywhere. I'll be bringing two of them with me to Moab next month. No jockey box required. That's convenience. But to each their own. Just know there's options is the bottom line.

5 - Get a tool like Beersmith
All of those crazy numbers I reference in #1 come to fruition in Beersmith and other tools like it. If you want to progress and become scientific with your brewing, this is the way to do it. Also, there's usually a ton of recipes on these programs for you to use and play around with. I'd say they definitely take you to the next horizon with your brewing.

6 - Three Keys to Brewing
So when I went to pick up one of my Sankes I met a really great guy who had beers with me. He was a random craigslist guy, but had been brewing for 15+ years. Very knowledgable cat, and he gave me these three tips to great brewing:
1 - Your fermentation temp should be controlled/steady at the manufacturer suggested temp
2 - Make a yeast starter, and always make sure you have enough yeast
3 - Join a brew club
I haven't done #3 yet, but #1 and #2 are very important. Read the yeast manufacturer's website for the temperatures it should be at. And if you're brewing a strong beer, make sure you have enough yeast. This is one point where I'd say - don't always trust a recipe in these regards. I'd go by the manufacturers website for a yeast temperature over an internet form posted recipe any day of the week, and you should as well. If you're brewing a strong beer, chances are that you will probably need more than just 1 pack.

7 - I don't get MFL's
I went out and bought a ton of MFL's thinking it was better than barb connections. MFLs seem to be the craze and in that same trend area as corny kegs. Still to this day I don't understand the benefit of them. I am told they are "quick connect/disconnects" but they seem just as cumbersome as beer nuts to me (except the nut is even smaller). If I had to do it over again, I would have just saved the dough and bought these. Now if they made a wing nut for the little MFL nut, it would be a different story....But in general, I have found the MFL route is a big waste of $$$. I wish it were different, since I now own a whole bunch of them.

8 - Shop around for your services
Pretty self explanatory. If you're kegging beer and need CO2, most people here use AirGas. I've found much cheaper family-owned operations that save me some bucks. If you're using a turkey fryer burner to heat your kettle/wort, you're going to go through a ton of propane. Don't switch your propane bottle out!!!!! Go get it refilled by a local propane shop. I just paid $1 per lb today for a propane fill-up, and every fifth fill up for me is free. Bottom line - explore for small family owned places for some of these resources. This is one activity/hobby I've found where it pays to go to the small guy.

Anyways, that's lessons learned so far. Good luck with brewing and if you have any questions let me know. Hopefully this helps someone.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:35 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Awesome I like this free pass to talk about anything I want. If people don't like it, tough.

I'm 2 months into my brewing experience, and just finished my 4th batch - an extract Kwak clone. I've built a 4 tap kegerator and have went through a lot of trials and tribulations so far it's safe to say. Just wanted to post my lessons learned for all to see and maybe comment on. Who the hell knows - maybe it will help someone who just started.

1 - Create Your Brew style
I will preface this whole thing by saying that you're going to create your own style in brewing, and what I do is different from how my friends probably do it. How you set your equipment up, what you do during the brew process, etc...You're going to get your own method to your madness. So take ideas from this site, but don't take 100% of what you read as gospel either.

2 - Brewing is Pretty Forgiving
My first batch of beer was a mess. With little precision and a whole lot of mass confusion, I somehow managed to get some wort into a fermenter. I didn't know if my wort had been boiled, I spilled a bunch during the chill process, and I only had cleaner and NOT sanitizer. I was scared to death that I infected the stuff. One week later I did a quick taste test and it was fine. Two months later I am getting compliments right and left on that beer. There's so much science to this art, numbers and calculations being thrown around and hundredths of an ounce grain measurements. For at least your first few brews, chill out. Enjoy the experience. Know that whatever comes out of these first batches, you're probably going to make them better and better every time you try. And if you screw up something, you're still probably going to end up with some good beer. And if you DO screw up and it tastes awful, it just means you get to brew that second batch even quicker and speed up your learning curve.

3 - Make your own Wort Chiller
The wort chiller is probably one of the most complex steps to brewing. The reason that I highly recommend making your own Wort Chiller is that you can select the size of the hoses that are specific to your situation. In my instance, I am brewing in the backyard of my house. The garden hose faucet is literally 15 feet away. My wort chiller is therefore sized with 20 feet on one side, and only 5 feet on the other (I take the 5 foot hose and put it into a cooler where I do some of my sanitizing and cleanup). The LAST thing you want to do during the chilling process is lug around a 5 gallon pot of boiling water. It's dangerous, it's unsafe on so many levels, and lastly - you don't want to drop all that beer you just spent 2 hours making. Build your own wort chiller, and size your hoses appropriately to your water source and to your water dump-out point. Save yourself some trouble for the same (or even cheaper) price.

4 - Know your boiling point
This one is close to home for me, living in Denver Colorado. I guess it's pretty obvious when something boils, but for the life of me I was always shooting for a higher temperature all the while not knowing that water boils at only 202 degrees here in Denver. Getting to the boiling point is absolutely key to all of this. You'll spend 60 minutes at least in the boiling point zone. Know what temp you are shooting for.

5 - Corny Keg vs. Sanke
This argument seems to be like Republican vs. Democrat. I use Sankes, and I swear by them. About 5-10 years ago you could get corny kegs really cheap. They became really popular with homebrewers. In short, the prices have skyrocketed on them and you'll probably find 80% of people on here use them. I believe it's to the point where corny kegs are now more expensive than Sankes. I use the slim 1/6 barrel sanke and most of the time when I have found them it's because someone is going to corny kegs. Corny kegs in my mind are the new wave while Sanke's are still reliable but just a little more to work. I will tell ya though - I fought with my sanke kegs for about 3 nights in a row. But with some tips and watching a lot of youtube videos, the sankes are not a problem for me anymore. I can get one unlocked and locked in less than 2 mins now. And I swoop in like nobody's business when I see someone dumping them off cheap to get a corny. The best parts of sankes? Few parts, cheaper now than cornys, and can take them anywhere. I'll be bringing two of them with me to Moab next month. No jockey box required. That's convenience. But to each their own. Just know there's options is the bottom line.

5 - Get a tool like Beersmith
All of those crazy numbers I reference in #1 come to fruition in Beersmith and other tools like it. If you want to progress and become scientific with your brewing, this is the way to do it. Also, there's usually a ton of recipes on these programs for you to use and play around with. I'd say they definitely take you to the next horizon with your brewing.

6 - Three Keys to Brewing
So when I went to pick up one of my Sankes I met a really great guy who had beers with me. He was a random craigslist guy, but had been brewing for 15+ years. Very knowledgable cat, and he gave me these three tips to great brewing:
1 - Your fermentation temp should be controlled/steady at the manufacturer suggested temp
2 - Make a yeast starter, and always make sure you have enough yeast
3 - Join a brew club
I haven't done #3 yet, but #1 and #2 are very important. Read the yeast manufacturer's website for the temperatures it should be at. And if you're brewing a strong beer, make sure you have enough yeast. This is one point where I'd say - don't always trust a recipe in these regards. I'd go by the manufacturers website for a yeast temperature over an internet form posted recipe any day of the week, and you should as well. If you're brewing a strong beer, chances are that you will probably need more than just 1 pack.

7 - I don't get MFL's
I went out and bought a ton of MFL's thinking it was better than barb connections. MFLs seem to be the craze and in that same trend area as corny kegs. Still to this day I don't understand the benefit of them. I am told they are "quick connect/disconnects" but they seem just as cumbersome as beer nuts to me (except the nut is even smaller). If I had to do it over again, I would have just saved the dough and bought these. Now if they made a wing nut for the little MFL nut, it would be a different story....But in general, I have found the MFL route is a big waste of $$$. I wish it were different, since I now own a whole bunch of them.

8 - Shop around for your services
Pretty self explanatory. If you're kegging beer and need CO2, most people here use AirGas. I've found much cheaper family-owned operations that save me some bucks. If you're using a turkey fryer burner to heat your kettle/wort, you're going to go through a ton of propane. Don't switch your propane bottle out!!!!! Go get it refilled by a local propane shop. I just paid $1 per lb today for a propane fill-up, and every fifth fill up for me is free. Bottom line - explore for small family owned places for some of these resources. This is one activity/hobby I've found where it pays to go to the small guy.

Anyways, that's lessons learned so far. Good luck with brewing and if you have any questions let me know. Hopefully this helps someone.
Take it from a pro, nice write up.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Quote:

Just an FYI there is a beer thread in the lounge I look at that has some pretty knowledgeable people if you ever had any questions. Might help you out.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
All good advice. I would throw in there one more though... don't be afraid of dry yeast if you are just brewing a simple American or British style beer. The US-05 and S-04 are very good yeasts and require so much less work (no starter most of the time). When I use those I usually just measure out the amount I need, let it re-hydrate and dump it in. Both work like a champ every time. Now if you want a specific strain for like a tripel, saison, etc then you have to go liquid and a starter.

#2 is probably the most important one. If you don't want to fiddle with numbers or making your own recipes, just follow some that are out there and enjoy yourself. I have only had 1 issue in my time brewing and that was a stuck fermentation that may not have really been stuck... just my stupidity.

Just thought of another thing... don't be afraid to try new things. If it doesn't work you are not out that much money, and if it does you can have something completely new. For instance, I am trying to make a beer that compliments a breakfast meal... I am trying to pull the flavors of a cinnamon roll and put them into a beer. My first attempt wasn't great, but gave a solid base as to where to go from there. My second attempt is probably going to be pretty damn good from the preview that I have had.

On another note, I am going to switch over to electric brewing... I'm tired of propane, sitting in the cold to brew, inconsistency with evaporation, etc. I have an idea that I am going to try with 3 kegs and 5500w elements... going to be costly, but should be the end all be all for my home brewing setup.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Spoil:
JB: I am interested, but not until the summer

Closed Thread