HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rangers looking at Callahan for Chris Stewart

Old
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If NYR needs a lopsided proposal to trade Callahan, which is their total right, just don't expect it from us, which is our total right.

The whole thing is the Rangers being potentially interested (enough to scout, anyway) in acquiring Stewart for some unknown price. Not so much what do the Blues need to overpay to get Callahan in a down year as a rental.
I don't expect it from anybody. That's the subject, so that's what I'm talking about.

The whole thing is whatever we want to talk about in the thread. As a Rangers fan, I'm thinking about how the Rangers can work on the rumored trade without screwing themselves. I'm not talking about overpayment, I'm talking about an even trade where both teams come out without getting totally screwed. Callahan for Stewart straight up is a screw job. I hope Sather would be smart enough to realize that.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:17 PM
SchwartzBluesFirst
Darth Jar Jar

vCash: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't expect it from anybody. That's the subject, so that's what I'm talking about.

The whole thing is whatever we want to talk about in the thread. As a Rangers fan, I'm thinking about how the Rangers can work on the rumored trade without screwing themselves. I'm not talking about overpayment, I'm talking about an even trade where both teams come out without getting totally screwed. Callahan for Stewart straight up is a screw job. I hope Sather would be smart enough to realize that.
You'd rather let Cally walk for nothing than get Stewart,a pick, and a possible decent prospect?

I don't see how that helps in the long run.

SchwartzBluesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

With all due respect you're not talking about an even trade because literally one post prior you said it was a lopsided trade. The exact same trade just went from being lopsided to even in one post, which is kind of impressive.

Yes, Stewart and one of our top two prospects (who was one period from being runaway Memorial Cup MVP had his team won eight months ago) for a banged up rental in a down year and a second round pick. Hey we're just talking about even trades!

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Stewart averages 25 goals and 50 points per season.

There is also a market for players who are 6'2'' 230 and can fight.

He led the Blues in scoring just last season, and since his arrival he is only 2nd to Alexander Steen in goals out of anyone that's worn the Bluenote.

Yes he struggles in Hitchcock's system but he still has value and would likely perform much better on an Eastern Conference team. I know Avs fans like to think he's worthless though, but that's not really the case.
He's not a 25 goal scorer. He scored 25+ goals once. Projections are just that.

There's a market for big players who use their size well. Stewart's size is absolutely wasted in his game.

Lots of players and teams did things last year that they shouldn't be counted on to do again. It was a weird year.

Stewart is an alright player. On ice, he's not even close to what he is on paper.

Old
ThisYearsModel

Can any Blues fan give us a read on Stewart? He hit the NHL hard originally with Colorado nd was in the deal for EJ in which you got Shattenkirk (The best player in the deal by now). There was talk that he was bullying Duchene in the Av's LR and that was the reason they got rid of him. My concern is that he has failed now with 2 teams. I am unsure of who the "real" Chris Steward is. Callahan is a valuable piece to give up, even as a UFA to be. Thanks.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
Quote:

There's a market for big players who use their size well. Stewart's size is absolutely wasted in his game.

Lots of players and teams did things last year that they shouldn't be counted on to do again. It was a weird year.

Stewart is an alright player. On ice, he's not even close to what he is on paper.
He's scored 28 twice and 18 during the lockout, and one of those 28 goal seasons was when he lost time due to breaking his hand in a fight.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

Bolded: are you sure about that?

Old
01-31-2014, 02:22 PM
BlueDream

Quote:

Your first sentence is wrong.

I mean everything else I agree with though. Stewart should be a lot better than he is and leaves a lot to be desired, I'm not disagreeing with that.

But he scores and fights and GM's are always looking for more size whether they use it as effectively as they should have or not. Plus he's still only 26.

I'm not sure what he'll return in a trade, I'm just saying I think there's definitely still teams that would have interest in acquiring him.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He's scored 28 twice and 18 during the lockout, and one of those 28 goal seasons was when he lost time due to breaking his hand in a fight.
You're right. Misread the stat sheet with the trade involved. Still, the guy is streaky and I wouldn't trade Callahan for him 100/100 times.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:24 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Can any Blues fan give us a read on Stewart? He hit the NHL hard originally with Colorado nd was in the deal for EJ in which you got Shattenkirk (The best player in the deal by now). There was talk that he was bullying Duchene in the Av's LR and that was the reason they got rid of him. My concern is that he has failed now with 2 teams. I am unsure of who the "real" Chris Steward is. Callahan is a valuable piece to give up, even as a UFA to be. Thanks.
He's a good locker room guy. He's very close with Shatty and Tarasenko and those 2 are the one's responsible for getting Tarasenko out of his shell and more comfortable in the states.

As a player, he's just a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. He's needs to be in a rushing offensive system with a playmaking linemate that works behind the net. He is not a powerforward, he is a finese sniper that just happens to have size. He'll fight, but he'll lose most puck battles. His overall game isn't great, but it's much better that it was when we got him. In the right system, he'd be a valuable piece and look a lot better than he does with us.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:25 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Your first sentence is wrong.

I mean everything else I agree with though. Stewart should be a lot better than he is and leaves a lot to be desired, I'm not disagreeing with that.

But he scores and fights and GM's are always looking for more size whether they use it as effectively as they should have or not. Plus he's still only 26.

I'm not sure what he'll return in a trade, I'm just saying I think there's definitely still teams that would have interest in acquiring him.
Quote:
Bolded: are you sure about that?

You guys are all correct. I misread the stats the year with the trade. However, I still stand by the rest of my post. The guy is a serial underachiever and his size is meaningless the way he uses it.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
You're right. Misread the stat sheet with the trade involved. Still, the guy is streaky and I wouldn't trade Callahan for him 100/100 times.
Which is perfectly reasonable.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:34 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
I hope the Rangers do this, Callahan has been a pain in the ass for years against the Devils

Old
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Keep in mind we have more need for a 3d line center than a winger, so from the Blues fan side of things we weren't putting together Stewart for Callahan type deals, we were having ideas like Stewart for Legwand, or Stewart + Berglund for Plekanec + 2d/3d type offers. However, most of us are of the school of thought that Stewart probably isn't traded before the deadline.

The only reason we're talking about it today is Dreger reporting Ranger interest in Stewart, and we don't need D and you aren't trading Lundy, so that means a forward, and what do you have available who makes sense for us, given our playing style and the need for someone to fit into it seamlessly? Well, Callahan who's a rental and so we're haggling on the balancing.

You will get no argument from us that you SHOULD want Stewart. We can point to his high rate of success against Eastern opponents and suggest that 54 games in the East with you guys versus 32 against the East with us, and maybe that's one aspect the Rangers like, especially needing scoring. But you very well may be able to do better than Stewart in a Callahan trade. No argument.

We're only going off the report from a credible reporter that you DO have some interest. The thing from us is, if we can fill a more important need at center by trading Stewart straight up for Legwand (a player we'd stand a solid chance of re-signing), why would we add much more to the Stewart side of the ledger in a trade for Callahan? I think we all agree we'd add something but certainly not one of our top prospects. We have no reason to do that.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Calad
Section 422

There is no way the rangers are looking at Stewart at the cost of Ryan Callahan. Sorry

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Miller Time NYR

Id pass on Stewart, but he wins fights so it's probably a no brainer for half the ranger fans around here.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
Id pass on Stewart, but he wins fights so it's probably a no brainer for half the ranger fans around here.
No, he'd have to be a goon

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:11 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Keep in mind we have more need for a 3d line center than a winger, so from the Blues fan side of things we weren't putting together Stewart for Callahan type deals, we were having ideas like Stewart for Legwand, or Stewart + Berglund for Plekanec + 2d/3d type offers. However, most of us are of the school of thought that Stewart probably isn't traded before the deadline.

The only reason we're talking about it today is Dreger reporting Ranger interest in Stewart, and we don't need D and you aren't trading Lundy, so that means a forward, and what do you have available who makes sense for us, given our playing style and the need for someone to fit into it seamlessly? Well, Callahan who's a rental and so we're haggling on the balancing.

You will get no argument from us that you SHOULD want Stewart. We can point to his high rate of success against Eastern opponents and suggest that 54 games in the East with you guys versus 32 against the East with us, and maybe that's one aspect the Rangers like, especially needing scoring. But you very well may be able to do better than Stewart in a Callahan trade. No argument.

We're only going off the report from a credible reporter that you DO have some interest. The thing from us is, if we can fill a more important need at center by trading Stewart straight up for Legwand (a player we'd stand a solid chance of re-signing), why would we add much more to the Stewart side of the ledger in a trade for Callahan? I think we all agree we'd add something but certainly not one of our top prospects. We have no reason to do that.
What kinda drives me crazy about this rumor is that the Rangers, too, have a need at center that is far, far more pressing than their need on the wing. At this point, I'd bet that there's a very near 0 chance that Girardi and Callahan both get traded. It seems today that Callahan is more likely to go. Given that circumstance, the Rangers should be trying to get a center for him. They have two movable assets with decent value, one is going to go, that one should be used to fill the biggest need IMO.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:12 PM
BPD

Quote:
What kinda drives me crazy about this rumor is that the Rangers, too, have a need at center that is far, far more pressing than their need on the wing. At this point, I'd bet that there's a very near 0 chance that Girardi and Callahan both get traded. It seems today that Callahan is more likely to go. Given that circumstance, the Rangers should be trying to get a center for him. They have two movable assets with decent value, one is going to go, that one should be used to fill the biggest need IMO.
Wouldn't mind thinking about something around Berglund.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:17 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Wouldn't mind thinking about something around Berglund.
Berglund only moves for a center upgrade.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Hero
Uncle Leo

vCash: 1350
My god the Blues would be even more frustrating to play against.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:36 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

The tweet was they are gathering intel. It could come from other West teams because the Rangers are contacting other teams asking for their opinion of Stewart.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Monument
Start The Shooting

Quote:
The tweet was they are gathering intel. It could come from other West teams because the Rangers are contacting other teams asking for their opinion of Stewart.
The Rangers are a tight-lipped organization and even post JD from what I've heard, still have connections with the Blues.

While possible, I highly doubt the Rangers would go around asking about Stewart instead of scouting him on their own. This is an organization that places a big emphasis on character. I doubt they'd be interested in Stewart due to that.

Monument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:53 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
The Rangers are a tight-lipped organization and even post JD from what I've heard, still have connections with the Blues.

While possible, I highly doubt the Rangers would go around asking about Stewart instead of scouting him on their own. This is an organization that places a big emphasis on character. I doubt they'd be interested in Stewart due to that.
There is nothing wrong with his character.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Monument
Start The Shooting

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with his character.
Tell that to your fellow fan that just called him flat out lazy before.

I've seen Stewart more than enough to know that you'll never know what Chris Stewart you're gonna get.

Monument is offline   Reply With Quote