HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers looking at Callahan for Chris Stewart

Old
02-01-2014, 06:55 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkOut View Post
Don't worry we know the drill. I'll beat you to the punch. Rangers fans: We will enjoy watching you enjoy watching us having another 1st round exit.
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the blues. They're one of the teams I follow outside of the Rangers.

However, the last time they made the conference finals, Ray Bourque was still playing. So let's not act like the Blues have been an elite franchise.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the blues. They're one of the teams I follow outside of the Rangers.

However, the last time they made the conference finals, Ray Bourque was still playing. So let's not act like the Blues have been an elite franchise.
If I understood him correctly he is saying the Blues will go out in the 1st round, their fan base is probably more jaded than ours.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Brooklanders*

What I like about Stewart is he's young and his career high in points are better than Cally. He has two 28 goal seasons.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:04 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
If I understood him correctly he is saying the Blues will go out in the 1st round, their fan base is probably more jaded than ours.
I think it's the other way around. He's being flippant about the common theme of fans of other teams insisting that the Blues are stupid not to overpay for rentals, and then saying they hope the Blues lose because Blues fans aren't amenable to that.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I think it's the other way around. He's being flippant about the common theme of fans of other teams insisting that the Blues are stupid not to overpay for rentals, and then saying they hope the Blues lose because Blues fans aren't amenable to that.
Ah, I've always picked up on this "We've been a dominant reg. season team before and watched it all go up in flames in the post-season, so why would it turn out any different?"-vibe from Blues fans. Is there legitimate optimism brewing among the ranks this year?

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:03 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

As much as I don't want the Rangers to re-sign Callahan, trading him straight up for Stewart would be an awful move.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
As much as I don't want the Rangers to re-sign Callahan, trading him straight up for Stewart would be an awful move.
I am unsure they can get better than Stewart and a high pick.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Is there legitimate optimism brewing among the ranks this year?
Every fanbase is sometimes cursed with a sudden influx of Pollyannas during times of unusual good fortune. That attitude often invades the typical, more jaded fan and gives a sudden, nauseating dose of optimism.

Sometimes all you can do is hope the crashing down to earth does not get anyone injured.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

In a perfect Blues world: trade Stewart for Callahan, then trade picks/Halak for Miller. Let Callahan walk at the end of the year and fill his spot with Jaskin. Use the savings to try and resign Miller long term.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
In a perfect Blues world: trade Stewart for Callahan, then trade picks/Halak for Miller. Let Callahan walk at the end of the year and fill his spot with Jaskin. Use the savings to try and resign Miller long term.
Then I would rather trade Stewart for picks/prospects in the offseason. Callahan would be nice but he's not a need. Why waste the assets on somebody you are not going to re sign?

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
What I like about Stewart is he's young and his career high in points are better than Cally. He has two 28 goal seasons.
Caveat emptor. Stewart has a ton of talent but goes MIA for long stretches. He's not exactly a banger either.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Not sure a perfect Blues world involves Miller signed for more than 3 years.
Also there is a substantial lack of trading Stewart and a second rounder for Getzlaf at 50% contract.
Perfect world and all that.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:26 AM
CaptainCally

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Then I would rather trade Stewart for picks/prospects in the offseason. Callahan would be nice but he's not a need. Why waste the assets on somebody you are not going to re sign?

It's called making a push, contenders usually do that. Stewart, morrow comes of the books, you could afford to resign Callahan. Not sure about Roy's deal and when it ends, but that's more $. Callahan is an upgrade over Stewart. He'll do more good in a push, as a leader and defensively than Stewart will. He's great on the PP too.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:30 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
It's called making a push, contenders usually do that. Stewart, morrow comes of the books, you could afford to resign Callahan. Not sure about Roy's deal and when it ends, but that's more $. Callahan is an upgrade over Stewart. He'll do more good in a push, as a leader and defensively than Stewart will. He's great on the PP too.
We won't be spending $ on Cally when he doesn't fill a need at all, we have other holes to fill and two way wingers is one of our main strengths

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Crease

Could we see a sign-and-trade? Rangers willing to go 5x6=30. Callahan reportedly wants 7x6=42. Find out if another team is willing to invest in him long term, extend him at 8x5.5=44 and then trade him for a better return than a rental. Works out for both teams.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:32 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Could we see a sign-and-trade? Rangers willing to go 5x6=30. Callahan reportedly wants 7x6=42. Find out if another team is willing to invest in him long term, extend him at 8x5.5=44 and then trade him for a better return than a rental. Works out for both teams.
Not for the Blues

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
As has been staged before, we have much more pressing issues than upgrading our third line right wing spot, especially with Callahan's supposed demands. Plus, within the next two years we will have both Schwartz and Taraenko to re-sign and they are probably going to get pretty significant raises. We need a center much more.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
If Callahan was something we needed this would make sense. We have plenty of two way wingers. If we add to make a push it should be a top 6 center.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Unless Callahan can all of a sudden play center we will not be signing him. We have a plethora of wingers but a shortage of quality centers.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The whole thing is the Rangers and their fans love Callahan, he's their captain. If a team that LOVES the guy can no way in hell justify 7x6 or something long term like that -- and remember this is the New York Rangers of hockey who don't exactly have a reputation for being shy about those kind of contracts -- then how could the Blues consider it? And, if Callahan WERE willing to come down from his term and price demands, especially term, why wouldn't he come down from those demands to stay with the team and situation he loves?

For this reasoning, if he went to the Blues he'd be a pure rental. Which is ok because he slightly upgrades Stewart this year and Jaskin upgrades Stewart next year, but by the same token we won't overpay for him.

I think the Rangers would be wiser to trade him to a team who WOULD offer the 7x6 after this year. Frankly they're very smart to openly let his agent negotiate because I get the sense they want to keep him, and they want him to essentially test the free agency market while he's still on the team, and when he finds out nobody's going to pay him that because of his injury risk (same reason the team that most wants to keep him wont pay him that) then he comes down off his demand and works out a deal to stay in New York. Or, he finds out that yes, there is a team who'll pay him that, then the Rangers can get value out if trading him to that team. Honestly, smart by the Rangers here to either call the bluff or do this before the deadline to get value.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

This is a tough one.

NY is not a good place for a team to be without a true leader. Guys can hide here. Personally I am an advocate for trading Callahan. Not because I don't like the player only because the contract could be crippling in terms of length. But who then is going to lead? That needs to be addressed.

Stewart has all the tools to be one of the best hybrids in the game. He's a big physical kid with a legit skillset that is top 6 worthy. He takes nights off.

Callahan is a small physical player who is also a hybrid with legitimate skillset who never takes a shift off.

If Callahan had Stewarts size he be Better than Backes.
If Stewart had Callahans heart he'd could be the best power forward in the game.

It's a very respectable return, but I think you have to factor "what is" over "what it could be".

Blues need to add...

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Actually, the rumor is that the Rangers are looking at Stewart. The Callahan part was speculation on Dreger's part.
People keep saying this, but there is also a rumor that the Blues have expressed interest in Cally.

Blues are looking at Cally.
Rags are looking at Stewart.

It really is just putting one and one together.

Granted they are all just rumors, so anything we discuss is all just speculation.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Tell that to your fellow fan that just called him flat out lazy before.

I've seen Stewart more than enough to know that you'll never know what Chris Stewart you're gonna get.
Work ethic and character are not the same things.

Stewart from all reports is an excellent guy in the locker room and will stand up for his teammates both vocally and through fighting. His character seems to be an asset.

Now, if you want to contest his compete level, then I will not be standing up for the guy. But, to question his character seems off base.

Old
02-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Ah, I've always picked up on this "We've been a dominant reg. season team before and watched it all go up in flames in the post-season, so why would it turn out any different?"-vibe from Blues fans. Is there legitimate optimism brewing among the ranks this year?
Not nearly as much as one would think.

Most believe we have a small chance, but are not convinced we likely to win.

I think a majority believes the Blues are still missing pieces. Those pieces being a #1-3 center (this ranges depending on the poster) and an upgrade to our starting goaltending (some don't agree).

Old
02-01-2014, 01:32 PM
the_fan

Rangers will lose the trade big time by giving up the hard working captain of the team for a lazy player Stewart.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote