HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers looking at Callahan for Chris Stewart

Old
01-31-2014, 10:59 AM
rangers1314

vCash: 500
Callahan for Stewart, one of Joel Edmundson/Jani Hakanpaa and Edmontons 2nd Rounder.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
If the OP is the actual tweet by Dreger
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

yes

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
1. My preference is to add and do something like
Cally + Girardi at 50%, + conditional ranger 1st if BOTH don't resign

for

Shattenkirk

can add small potatoes for further balance.

2. If Shatty were untouchable here, then
I'll take Blues 2014 1st and Edmonton 22014 2nd, both obviously late, for Callahan only, no conditionals, etc.
Wait you want us to give up Shattenkirk for two UFAs and conditional first that is only a first if we lost both of them? Are you out of your mind?

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
He's averaged 25 goals a season where a large portion of his time has been spent on a team where he obviously doesn't fit. Dramatic changes in production are not just because of development, there are far more factors at work, not the least of which are the system you play in, average competition you play against, and confidence level. he doesn't fit in St. Louis, that doesn't mean he's garbage it has no value.
What else does he do well? Hockey is a complex game and players are asked to do other things during the course of a 60 minute tilt.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Newsflash - the Blues won't be the only team in on this. If we're STARTING this discussion at Chris Stewart, what's to stop Anaheim from swooping in and one upping you? Why wouldn't Chicago start talking about one upping them?

This is the way the chess match is played every March. Who wants it more? Who's willing to put more on the table for that chance I'm talking about. If you don't want the chance, we'll gladly hand it to someone who does - and hurt your chances in the process. As amazing as Callahan to STL would be for you is exactly how devastating it would be if it ends up being Callahan to CHI.
I'm not stupid. Quit insinuating that I am. I know how this works. You just can't seem to understand that we don't want to move Stewart and Jaskin/Rattie for Callahan. It's as simple as that. So stop acting like it's the end of the world if we don't get Callahan. It's not. Period.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:03 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I'm not stupid. Quit insinuating that I am. I know how this works. You just can't seem to understand that we don't want to move Stewart and Jaskin/Rattie for Callahan. It's as simple as t
What's simple to me is that you're not Doug Armstrong. You're not going to be the one getting the call saying "Chicago's got Callahan right now". You're not the one under the pressure to actually do something and make some noise in the playoffs.

Nothing in this game is simple. Stop suggesting it is, because that's just way, way too black and white.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:04 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
Well, then we only know that the Rangers are looking at Stewart. No rumor on the Callahan part.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
SchwartzBluesFirst

Ok Rangers fans are saying Blues fans are low-balling them? Wasn't it the Ranger who started asking the Blues? Not the other way around, sheesh.

SchwartzBluesFirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
SIU LAW

As a Blues fan, I would like to see this deal go down. While I don’t think I would add a top prospect or 1st rounder, I wouldn’t fault the Blues adding something to make the deal happen. As some Rangers fans have suggested, I think Callahan would garner a lot of interest, so the Blues will have to have an acceptable bid to obtain him. Then again, how many teams can offer up a 25+ goal scorer like Stewart?

With that said, Callahan would undoubtedly be helpful for the Blues, but he would be luxury (an extremely nice luxury to have though) in light of other two-ways forwards, so hopefully they will not completely overpay for him.

Quite frankly, I think Stewart would do well in the East.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Yeah because we all know adding one player guarantees a cup. Give me a break.
It doesn't guarantee anything, but to win a cup teams generally need to take some type of risk with player decisions. The risk here is that he doesn't sign after the season. But if you do win a cup, none of that will matter.

Old
01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Why are you so opposed to a rental? The Blues have hovered around the top of the Western Conference for awhile now. Gotta take a shot to go all the way sometime, right? Don't wanna end up like the Sharks who had many great teams but not much to show for it. Say the deal was Stewart+1st for Callahan. You have a definitive upgrade, and trade a late 1st for a player who won't impact your team for years. By the time that late 1st rounder is likely to make the NHL, your core players will likely be leaving/have already left their primes. To boot, the Blues have some of the best prospect depth in the league to supplant their roster with young talent.
So much wrong here.

Why opposed to rentals? We aren't. There is a discussion to trade our leading scorer from last season fur a rental. The issue is price. The Blues have over paid for rentals in the past and have nothing to show for it.

No issues with taking a shot. Again, the issue is price. Cost benefit analysis. Blues can't keep up with a sky rocketing cap over the next few seasons. Cost controlled talent is vital to the Blues success.

The Sharks have nothing on the Blues in terms of great teams with nothing to show for it. Try looking more than five - ten years in the past.

You did get one thing right, although it appears to be a typo. If we trade Stewart and a 1st for Callahan, we will have traded "a late 1st for a player who won't impact the team for years." The Blues current scouting staff has done well with late first round picks, and is likely to find an NHL player there who can contribute while being cost controlled.

As you say, by the time that pick would be ready, much of the core of the team will be leaving our post they're prime. All the more reason to have cost controlled NHL talent ready to step in and contribute.

As as the prospect pool, it isn't as deep as you think with Tarasenko and Schwartz nit counting anymore. We have Jaskin and Rattie up front, and nobody on defense in the AHL. There is a reason we signed Coliaicovo when Leopold went down. Everyone else is a couple years out at the earliest.

The Blues have made a move for the "missing piece" a number of times in their history. Not only has it never worked, it usually sets the franchise back significantly. (See exhibit A: Garth Butcher. See exhibit B: Wayne Gretzky)

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
See: Ryan Clowe, Doug Murray, Jaromir Jagr, Robyn Regehr, Jordan Leopold....I could go on.

Cally will easily return a 2nd. He'll likely return a 1st, unless something else signifcant is coming the other way.
If he's traded for picks alone, sure. But if he's being traded for Stewart, there won't be a significant plus on either side.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:09 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
So much wrong here.

Why opposed to rentals? We aren't. There is a discussion to trade our leading scorer from last season fur a rental. The issue is price. The Blues have over paid for rentals in the past and have nothing to show for it.

No issues with taking a shot. Again, the issue is price. Cost benefit analysis. Blues can't keep up with a sky rocketing cap over the next few seasons. Cost controlled talent is vital to the Blues success.

The Sharks have nothing on the Blues in terms of great teams with nothing to show for it. Try looking more than five - ten years in the past.

You did get one thing right, although it appears to be a typo. If we trade Stewart and a 1st for Callahan, we will have traded "a late 1st for a player who won't impact the team for years." The Blues current scouting staff has done well with late first round picks, and is likely to find an NHL player there who can contribute while being cost controlled.

As you say, by the time that pick would be ready, much of the core of the team will be leaving our post they're prime. All the more reason to have cost controlled NHL talent ready to step in and contribute.

As as the prospect pool, it isn't as deep as you think with Tarasenko and Schwartz nit counting anymore. We have Jaskin and Rattie up front, and nobody on defense in the AHL. There is a reason we signed Coliaicovo when Leopold went down. Everyone else is a couple years out at the earliest.

The Blues have made a move for the "missing piece" a number of times in their history. Not only has it never worked, it usually sets the franchise back significantly. (See exhibit A: Garth Butcher. See exhibit B: Wayne Gretzky)
I'd argue that's not true. It's not the rising cap that's going to do in the Blues - it's the rising floor.

Cost controlled talent is wonderful, but within 2 years the cap floor will be today's ceiling. How are the Blues going to keep up with that?

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
What else does he do well? Hockey is a complex game and players are asked to do other things during the course of a 60 minute tilt.
He good off the rush and is extremely dangerous if given space or has a good passer on his line. Hockey is a complex game for sure, but it's a mistake to think that goals aren't the biggest metric there is for value. It's not a big stretch to think he should be a 30 goal guy in the east, especially playing in a more loose system than what he plays now.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:12 AM
JTRAIN1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Moulson's a 3-time 30G scorer. Stewart's never even hit 30G in a season. From a statistical pov, Stewart isn't a better Moulson.
Put him with Tavares, & he'd probably be a 35+ goal scorer !

JTRAIN1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Thesensation19

I feel like thats a dumb trade... Dreger even goes onto say that be an amazing trade for St. Louis.

Im going to forget stats because I am sure many others will comment on that...

Stewart is widely inconsistent player. If hes trade talk for the Blues than his inconsistency has a lot to do with work ethic over just stats. And I dont like that.

Though Stewart is a tough guy, hes no where near as much of a role player as Callahan serves who blocks shots and makes statements with his hits.

Theres just not many guys like Cally out there and I def dont want it for Stewart. Hes our captain.... Simple as that.

I think Sather purposely puts these things out there to get his way in contract talks lol

If Callahan goes onto the Blues with this trade. i would have them as SC favorites immediately

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:16 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
1. My preference is to add and do something like
Cally + Girardi at 50%, + conditional ranger 1st if BOTH don't resign

for

Shattenkirk

can add small potatoes for further balance.

2. If Shatty were untouchable here, then
I'll take Blues 2014 1st and Edmonton 22014 2nd, both obviously late, for Callahan only, no conditionals, etc.

Two UFAs and a conditional pick for a top fifteen puck mover in the league on one of the best contacts and locked up for three more years?

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-31-2014 at 09:54 PM.
bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I'm glad to see that Blues and Rangers fans are getting along so well. Almost as well as how Blues and Sabres fans get along.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:20 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
I'd argue that's not true. It's not the rising cap that's going to do in the Blues - it's the rising floor.

Cost controlled talent is wonderful, but within 2 years the cap floor will be today's ceiling. How are the Blues going to keep up with that?

The Blues are spending more on salary than the Rangers so uhhhh...

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:20 AM
UncleOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRAIN1966 View Post
Yeah but, Armstrong has shown that he's not the type of GM, that overpays !
Maybe that's why they haven't been able to make it over the hump. People always say the Sharks choke come playoff time, but the Blues have had some really good teams in the past several years that haven't done much in April/May. They need a little boost to get them over the top. You can't necessarily worry about signing a guy next season, you have to try and win a Cup now. If it means making a trade that only works for now and doesn't work for later (like the Rangers trading Gartner, Amonte and Marchant for guys like Matteau, Anderson and MacTavish), sometimes you have to do it. I like the Blues, and I really think a guy like Callahan for Stewart+ could help them win the Cup.

UncleOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Mentosman42

As a rangers fan I would pass on this trade without some more value. Callahan has more value as a player but the UFA does make an impact. Only problem with Stewart for me is that we trade Cally for a player that will give us the same problems callahan is giving us now in one year. Stewart will be looking for a Callahan type deal next year(5.5+) and I dont see the point of trading a comparable player for Callahan when we are going to have to sign him to the same money that we dont want to sign Callahan for now.

I would rather just resign Callahan than trade him for Stewart and then have to move Stewart next year or give him the same contract.

For me, Stewart has more value to the blues as their leading scorer last year than he has for the rangers.

Mentosman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Give me a ****ing break. I never said Callahan sucks. And I'm not judging him on his stats. One would think that you'd realize Blues fans can appreciate a heart and sign player like Callahan since we've got two in Bakes and Steen, especially Steen. But nevermind that. News flash... We don't need Callahan. Would I like him? Absolutely. But we certainly aren't going to give up Jaskin, who I might add, our GM is on record as saying is off the table, for a UFA rental. This concept is not hard to understand. It's funny that you call my response snarky when mine wasn't, and yours clearly was. I simply stated an opinion.
Your opinion that Stewart (with one year left on his deal) and Callahan (pending UFA) are close to equal assets for a contending suitor is ridiculous. You are on the cusp and the league knows it. If you want the type of player that can make the difference between a 2nd round oust and a Cup run you will have to give up alot more than Chris Stewart who has no winning pedigree or recognizeable value other than he can score. The rest of his game is unreliable.

Old
01-31-2014, 11:24 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOscar View Post
Maybe that's why they haven't been able to make it over the hump. People always say the Sharks choke come playoff time, but the Blues have had some really good teams in the past several years that haven't done much in April/May. They need a little boost to get them over the top. You can't necessarily worry about signing a guy next season, you have to try and win a Cup now. If it means making a trade that only works for now and doesn't work for later (like the Rangers trading Gartner, Amonte and Marchant for guys like Matteau, Anderson and MacTavish), sometimes you have to do it. I like the Blues, and I really think a guy like Callahan for Stewart+ could help them win the Cup.
This is very, very true. Due to the nature of this site, posters often overvalue the future while undervaluing the present. GMs have to balance them more than that.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
The Gaustad trade messed up HF's expectations. Everyone is expecting a 1st round pick at deadline now, as if they aren't expensive but a throw-in.

First of all, it was in the old CBA with the old lottery rules. First round picks are worth more these days. Secondly, everyone knows Preds wildly overpaid because they had to prove to Suter they were going for it to try to get him to stay. It was a unique situation that made the return larger than it should be.

Stewart or a 1st round pick + medium prospect seems like a reasonable return for Callahan.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 11:25 AM
KirkOut
Activate the Omega13

vCash: 50
Callahan>Stewart by a noticeable but not huge margin.
1 year left>0 years left, so that makes up some of the difference.

I'd be ok with the Stewart+3rd/2nd if he re-signs for Callahan deal (although I really don't want him to sign with the Blues this offseason).

KirkOut is online now   Reply With Quote