HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders, 1/31: Rubber Match

View Poll Results: Choose your 3 stars pls
The King 114 88.37%
The Real Benny Poos 0 0%
BrassGod 25 19.38%
The Zuke of Earl 82 63.57%
Cross Krooder pls 10 7.75%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Rick Nash 4 3.10%
Carlos Hagelin 1 0.78%
Beaver Boy Brad Richards 2 1.55%
Ryan Callahan 1 0.78%
Byron Boy 12 9.30%
Dom Moore 0 0%
Daniel Carcinogen 3 2.33%
Don Jaroodi plams 7 5.43%
Ryan McLympics 10 7.75%
Marc Staal: 2011 Edition 90 69.77%
Anton Strawman 0 0%
Hollywood Actor Kevin Klein 1 0.78%
John Moore 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2014, 02:45 AM
  #151
Krams
Banned User
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: [unknown]
Country:
Posts: 5,516
vCash: 69
Wow, great win. A few thoughts:

1) Aside from that horrific second period, I saw flashes of a Stanley Cup contender in this game, particularly in the third.

2) Zuccarello is the real deal and an absolute pleasure to watch. While I'm not old enough to have ever watched Gretzky in his prime, Zucc had a shift at around 7:00 remaining in the third that was almost identical to how I imagine #99 looked on a shift-to-shift basis. Just total control of the pace of play.

3) What a well-deserved empty-netter by McDonagh at the end, there. He, Staal, and Girardi were all absolutely outstanding tonight.

4) Besides a few horrendous offensive-zone penalties, both Brassard and Pouliot were good again, for the most part.

5) Henrik Lundqvist, holy ****. Despite the goal against, that may have been one of his best performances I've ever watched.

6) I really like these Stadium Series jerseys. They look very late-90s, and it's making me nostalgic. As pretty and classic as the current heritage jerseys are, I wonder if these new ones will take over as the default alternate jersey one day.

7) Did anybody else hear anything about Sam Rosen celebrating his 30th anniversary in broadcasting today?

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 04:48 AM
  #152
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 14,424
vCash: 500
That goal by Brassard was all Zucc! That was maybe the best goal I've seen this season. Great puck recovery behind his own net, getting hooked but still skates into the O-zone, turns, stays calm, passes to Staal who puts it right there where Brassard can tip it in. Magnificent goal and I was cheering. Probably woke the neighbors but who cares?!

Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 04:48 AM
  #153
The Lunatic Fridge
Registered User
 
The Lunatic Fridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,717
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post

5) Henrik Lundqvist, holy ****. Despite the goal against, that may have been one of his best performances I've ever watched.
Looks like someone didn't watch rangers vs canucks in vancouver last year. (or was it 2 years ago?) 4-0 score but should have been like 4-10

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 04:49 AM
  #154
Kahuna Nanu
Ninja Technique
 
Kahuna Nanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 63,475
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Looks like someone didn't watch rangers vs canucks in vancouver last year. (or was it 2 years ago?) 4-0 score but should have been like 4-10
He said one of

__________________
Kahuna Nanu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 06:01 AM
  #155
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 500
Nash is barely mentioned, but it was his play that got us back into the game and pushed the Islanders back.

Nice to see Zucc really take controll.

Boyle needs to up his game on more of a regular basis. Why wait 2/3 or 3/3 of a season before starting to play? Carcillo BTW is playing perfectly acceptable hockey. Better 5 on 5 than Dorsett? Almost...

Staal's play on the blueline before Boyle's goal probably won us this game. A year ago that play was "banned". You never saw it and the explanation came when there was a mic on the bench when Torts jumped McD for making a play like it even after we scored. Unbelievable.

The Islanders were better than us. We are on a good record here, we do some thing real well. But we definitely could be a more consistent at playing our game. Teams like Boston, Pitt and Tampa will make us play unless we are able to constantly get up ice on them...

Brassard again worked real hard for us and played well. Our 3rd easily out works our 2nd on a regular basis.

Kreider got a good shift or two in at the end, he was not good before that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 06:16 AM
  #156
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 500
One question, when you play 4 on 4 in the NHL, and the ref got his arm in the air, is it really right to just don't call that penalty if a goal is scored? That is not the case under IIHF rules. If a goal is scored, you let in the guy in the box and call the new penalty.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 07:41 AM
  #157
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 30,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
I would bet he has a broken finger or two.


Tavares is one of the only Islanders I don't hate.

But that's disgraceful. He slashed to hurt him. Didn't even try to go for the puck.

Don't expect a suspension though.

__________________
"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 07:53 AM
  #158
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Tavares is one of the only Islanders I don't hate.

But that's disgraceful. He slashed to hurt him. Didn't even try to go for the puck.

Don't expect a suspension though.
Reminded me of when Graves slashed Lemieux.

My only disappointment with the Rangers recently is that Kreider is back to gliding and has been for quite some time.

He is great at controlling the puck behind the net and he is a far better passer than anyone expected but he is almost utterly uninvolved physically, which is a crime at his age and with his body, and for all of the first line ice time he is getting his scoring has been a vast disappointment over the last 10-15 games.

I fully expect him to wake up, but in his last 7 games he has only gotten a point in one of them, while his linemates are putting up points.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:13 AM
  #159
yrrebbor
Registered User
 
yrrebbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
He if definitely in a funk. Pretty much since Nash started warming up.

yrrebbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:13 AM
  #160
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Tavares is one of the only Islanders I don't hate.

But that's disgraceful. He slashed to hurt him. Didn't even try to go for the puck.

Don't expect a suspension though.
It's okay. The next game we play against him, he dies..



ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:21 AM
  #161
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 24,001
vCash: 500
I like how a game can have long stretches where one team dominates, and then that switches and the other team dominates, and then some periods of approximately even play, and fans will be like "my favorite team dominated all night long except for those paltry 5 minutes!"

(mainly talking about reading the Islanders board here)

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:25 AM
  #162
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 24,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I don't know what it is, but boy do the Rangers look really bad for long stretches, and then really good for long stretches against the Islanders
I feel like they look tentative and conservative against the Islanders too much and then suddenly they get a good attack, score a goal, and went for the kill.

It's like they're worried about messing up and giving Tavares too much to operate with, so they don't attack the puck hard in the offensive and neutral zone. Then something goes their way and they remember "oh yeah that's how we score goals...being fast and aggressive on the puck" and bam they suddenly score goals.

To be fair, you don't want to be too loose against the Islanders, they are one of the better offensive teams in the league, but you gotta hang onto the puck and make plays when you have it

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:29 AM
  #163
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdj10 View Post
Every time Zucc has the puck I just ****.
Then why doe's he get so little ice time? I don't get it.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
  #164
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
4pts back of tampa. Unfortunately we've played the most games out of any team in the playoff picture (and only NYI has played more games overall in the east)

we need other teams to start losing games.
Yeah, and 5 pts to like the 11th spot in the East and most teams got games in hand...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
  #165
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 24,001
vCash: 500
^^^^ - the plus side is that the Rangers have been one of the hottest teams lately and that makes me much more comfortable about their position. All you can do is win the games you have and if you win most of those then games in hand don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
4pts back of tampa. Unfortunately we've played the most games out of any team in the playoff picture (and only NYI has played more games overall in the east)

we need other teams to start losing games.
Washington has been losing games lately despite getting a loser point last night. If I have to guess it'd be that Columbus and Carolina are the division teams the Rangers have to worry about, with Washington and Philly falling out of it and NJ also coming up short just a bit. But...yeah, more loses, fewer loser points, no three point games

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
  #167
NHRangerfan
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
Entire team sucked. Fire AV. Trade em all. Can't believe we lost this one.....

Oh we won. Going off this whiny board I thought we got blown out.
Seems like the coaching staff agreed with many of the posters in the GDT...After the 2nd period Arniel said the Rangers were not showing enough compete after the first 7 minutes of the 1st through the entire 2nd...33 minutes of a 60 minute game....hmmm...maybe it wasn't whiny

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:07 AM
  #168
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 30,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Reminded me of when Graves slashed Lemieux.

My only disappointment with the Rangers recently is that Kreider is back to gliding and has been for quite some time.

He is great at controlling the puck behind the net and he is a far better passer than anyone expected but he is almost utterly uninvolved physically, which is a crime at his age and with his body, and for all of the first line ice time he is getting his scoring has been a vast disappointment over the last 10-15 games.

I fully expect him to wake up, but in his last 7 games he has only gotten a point in one of them, while his linemates are putting up points.
Kreider's line has to be broken up, I think.

Nash is controlling possession on that line, and Kreider passes up a shot too often for my liking.

Problem is, who do you beak up? Kreider won't be able to do anything on Richards' line. Zuccarello and Kreider could go great together, but do you want to mess with that line right now?

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:15 AM
  #169
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Hold my baby, man.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 19,110
vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Kreider's line has to be broken up, I think.

Nash is controlling possession on that line, and Kreider passes up a shot too often for my liking.

Problem is, who do you beak up? Kreider won't be able to do anything on Richards' line. Zuccarello and Kreider could go great together, but do you want to mess with that line right now?
I've been thinking this for a while now. Kreider was hot and Steps and Nash were cold, now Nash is hot and Steps is playing better and Kreider is cooling down.

I'm not really worried about Kreider, he's still a great player, but I do think switching something up might help him out. I wish Zucc was a center.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:20 AM
  #170
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 12,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
One question, when you play 4 on 4 in the NHL, and the ref got his arm in the air, is it really right to just don't call that penalty if a goal is scored? That is not the case under IIHF rules. If a goal is scored, you let in the guy in the box and call the new penalty.
A delayed penalty is a delayed penalty, whether 5 on 5 or 4 on 4. Play will be blown dead as soon as the infracting team touches the puck, therefore the team with the puck is able to pull their goalie and have a manpower advantage on the ice. If they score during that manpower advantage, they don't then get a subsequent manpower advantage to score a second time.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:21 AM
  #171
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I've been thinking this for a while now. Kreider was hot and Steps and Nash were cold, now Nash is hot and Steps is playing better and Kreider is cooling down.

I'm not really worried about Kreider, he's still a great player, but I do think switching something up might help him out. I wish Zucc was a center.
Kreider and Stepan are always looking to pass to Nash and Nash is always looking to dangle through 3 defenders. Tough to generate consistent offense chances that way.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:51 AM
  #172
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?
 
Antithesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Then why doe's he get so little ice time? I don't get it.
He has the 3rd most minutes of NYR forwards, 5th in TOI per game, and 2nd in PP TOI per game.
[
The reason it isn't higher still is because he has found chemistry with inconsistent, defensively poor players, which dictates his line as the "third" line.

Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:56 AM
  #173
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: France
Posts: 30,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I've been thinking this for a while now. Kreider was hot and Steps and Nash were cold, now Nash is hot and Steps is playing better and Kreider is cooling down.

I'm not really worried about Kreider, he's still a great player, but I do think switching something up might help him out. I wish Zucc was a center.
Maybe try a line of Kreider-Richards-Zuccarello? Slot Hagelin up to the 1st line, slot Callahan down. Lets see how well Brassard and Pouliot play without Zuccarello.

I'm not sold on resigning Pouliot until I'm sure he can function w/o Zucc.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:17 AM
  #174
Dactyl*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 17,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Boyle needs to up his game on more of a regular basis. Why wait 2/3 or 3/3 of a season before starting to play? Carcillo BTW is playing perfectly acceptable hockey. Better 5 on 5 than Dorsett? Almost...

Staal's play on the blueline before Boyle's goal probably won us this game. A year ago that play was "banned". You never saw it and the explanation came when there was a mic on the bench when Torts jumped McD for making a play like it even after we scored. Unbelievable.
Honestly I don't understand why we have these Dorsett or Carcillo talks. I would rather have both of them. I doubt we resign both Boyle and Moore. If we can keep on of those centers and those 2 gritty players, I think we would have a really good 4th line.

I honestly believe that torts hates offense. He never showed any emotion when we scored. He refused to practice the PP, it's amazing what a little practice did to our PP. Good riddance torts.

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:19 AM
  #175
Dactyl*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 17,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Maybe try a line of Kreider-Richards-Zuccarello? Slot Hagelin up to the 1st line, slot Callahan down. Lets see how well Brassard and Pouliot play without Zuccarello.

I'm not sold on resigning Pouliot until I'm sure he can function w/o Zucc.
I wouldn't mess with the lines. The Richards line is completely killing our momentum half the time, but I would rather keep the suck together than spread it throughout the lineup.

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.