HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nash Resigns with Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
sparr0w

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHA
I believe that Nash will be a top 5 player and 5.4 million is not expensive for a superstar
Then pay him when he becomes a superstar and not 2-3 years early.

I believe Nash's game will never round out and he'll be a 30-40 goal guy that never reaches 70+ points.

Why put the farm on your assumption when mine can come true as well?

Old
08-06-2005, 11:15 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Now my Thrashers are looking at having to allocate at least $60 million for Heatley and Kovalchuk over the next five years.
Your Thrashers just signed Bobby Holik for 4.25 million per season. The same Holik who has never scored 30 goals in his career.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:18 PM
MHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick

I believe Nash's game will never round out and he'll be a 30-40 goal guy that never reaches 70+ points.

Why put the farm on your assumption when mine can come true as well?
He is 21 now and he showed in Switzerland and in the WC that he is a superstar. He will be a top 10 scorer and amongst the top 3 goal scorers. He is a stud and you need to lock him up. I would take Nash right now over Naslund (6 mil a year). He is big, strong, has a great shot, and has good quickness. He scored 41 goals as a 19 year old on a crappy team. This guy is awesome. Also, I could careless about the blue jackets.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:19 PM
MHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Toronto radio made Doug "spends like a drunken sailor" MacLean to sign Nash to this outrageous deal? Give me a break!

But Ohio does swallow all the George W Bush bull ****, so why not some from the Blue Jackets as well.
oooh the Toronto radio. Tell me one hockey expert on the fan 590. These are all sportswriters who know crap about the actual game.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:
Toronto radio made Doug "spends like a drunken sailor" MacLean to sign Nash to this outrageous deal? Give me a break!

But Ohio does swallow all the George W Bush bull ****, so why not some from the Blue Jackets as well.

Again, hypocrites. Drooling over Nash, then saying he's not worth signing to a long-term contract.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:21 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
You don't get it. In 2-3 eyars his price would be at least 7 millions per year. Blame Iginla for it.
Quote:
You can believe whatever you want. I believe you're wrong for example.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:27 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Columbus should look at the story of Alexander Daigle and Alexie Yashin in Ottawa. Yashin quite possibly never holds out if Ottawa didn't donate $12.5 million dollars to Alexander Daigle. Could we have the story of Zherdev and Nash?

Columbus' payroll is well within the cap, sure. But is that a playoff team? I think not. If your content wasting extra money on players, thereby making sure you never make the playoffs, then you should be happy. If you want to make the playoffs, then no. This isn't the NBA were 1 player makes or breaks a team.
Believe me I understand the point your making - why overpay a guy when you can save a million and put it elsewhere. I think for every team its a case-by-case basis. For ours, your right - we haven't made the playoffs. We are a new market. We want to keep our star happy. We want him to lead us to the playoffs.

In our market apparently it is worth it to MacLean to overpay Nash a little now so that we lock him up for an extended perioid of time. For season ticket holders they now know Nash will be in a CBJ sweater for 5 years. No holdouts, no bad blood, no trade talk. Its an invaluable investment for a team like this one - especially from a marketing perspective. The guy's face is on every ticket, brochure, flyer, poster, cup that is produced to market this team. Hell, his noggin is even blown up on the entrance to Nationwide. Moving forward with him is a huge key to this franchise's success both on the ice and on the bottom line. We are seeing what Crosby is doing in terms of ticket sales in Pitt. That situation is not to dis-similar in C-bus. He puts butts in the seats and attracts season ticket holders.

Under a cap system, every team has or is only going to be able to afford a couple of high priced players. Sure they can go the route of filling out their roster with all 2 mil dollar type players, steering clear of the big names and some may be successfull at that. MacLean has chosen to sink his dollars into his true star and then build a team around him with his remaining funds. Sure he overpaid some but Nash is happy, MacLean is happy and believe me the guys who pay the bills (fans/sponsors) are happy.

MacLean has also made it abundantly clear that he has budgeted cap space in the future to retain our kids (as he puts it). Believe me Zherdev will be part of the Blue Jackets' long term future. As we lose veteran players such as Richardson/Sanderson those holes will be filled with cheaper young guys like Picard and Aaron Johnson. The key is to balance the franchise players you want to keep and continue to draft well and fill the holes of the guys who leave. Yeah we are probably going to lose some guys we want to keep but you'd be kidding yourself if you think you can retain everyone in a capped system.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Egil

Iginla was about to become an UFA, BIG difference. Iginla has won the heart trophy and just guided his team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Rick Nash is no Jerome Iginla.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:31 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol
Nash would be a UFA after 4 years. His first season is 2002-03. He's eligible for UFA market after 7 years in the NHL, in 2009. This contract keeps him in Columbus through 2009-10. Or they don't count lock-out year?
somebody pointed this out to me above, yes a 4 year deal would be the worst. I would have signed him for 3 years then for the exact reasons i stated.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
He puts butts in the seats and attracts season ticket holders.
Not according to the NHL.
My own anecdotal evidence tells me that winning attracts fans much more than any one player. Or at least that is what I gathered when Avalanche jerseys started popping up everywhere and when I first learned that New Jersey had fans in 1995.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Egil

Quote:
Believe me I understand the point your making - why overpay a guy when you can save a million and put it elsewhere. I think for every team its a case-by-case basis. For ours, your right - we haven't made the playoffs. We are a new market. We want to keep our star happy. We want him to lead us to the playoffs.
Great, but its alot easier to make the playoffs if you sign Nash for $2.5 mil and someone else with the remaining $3 mil. Your depth guys count for more in Hockey than any other sport. It is crucial to spend as little as possible on the top end talent in order to get better depth so that you can make the playoffs.

Quote:
In our market apparently it is worth it to MacLean to overpay Nash a little now so that we lock him up for an extended perioid of time. For season ticket holders they now know Nash will be in a CBJ sweater for 5 years. No holdouts, no bad blood, no trade talk. Its an invaluable investment for a team like this one - especially from a marketing perspective. The guy's face is on every ticket, brochure, flyer, poster, cup that is produced to market this team. Hell, his noggin is even blown up on the entrance to Nationwide. Moving forward with him is a huge key to this franchise's success both on the ice and on the bottom line. We are seeing what Crosby is doing in terms of ticket sales in Pitt. That situation is not to dis-similar in C-bus. He puts butts in the seats and attracts season ticket holders.
Great, so your team will spend extra money for marketing purposes. I call that a bad idea, but whatever. I would prefer if my team spent the money to get better, not just to sell tickets. And nothing sells the NHL better than making the playoffs.

Quote:
Under a cap system, every team has or is only going to be able to afford a couple of high priced players. Sure they can go the route of filling out their roster with all 2 mil dollar type players, steering clear of the big names and some may be successfull at that. MacLean has chosen to sink his dollars into his true star and then build a team around him with his remaining funds. Sure he overpaid some but Nash is happy, MacLean is happy and believe me he fans are happy.
Yeah, you can afford a few high price guys. So why make a guy high priced if you don't have to? I could defend signing Shaun Van Allen to a $5 mil a year deal using that logic.

Quote:
MacLean has also made it abundantly clear that he has budgeted cap space in the future to retain our kids (as he puts it). Believe me Zherdev will be part of the Blue Jackets' long term future. As we lose veteran players such as Richardson/Sanderson those holes will be filled with cheaper young guys like Picard and Aaron Johnson. The key is to balance the franchise players you want to keep and continue to draft well and fill the holes of the guys who leave. Yeah we are probably going to lose some guys we want to keep but you'd be kidding yourself if you think you can retain everyone in a capped system.
So MacLean is prepared to pay Zherdev $5.4 mil a year for 5 years? If Zherdev gets more points than Nash next year (which is quite possible), he is going to happily take the reasonable offer of $2 mil CBJ sends his way? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old
08-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:
Hehe...I just regret that there's not enough interest down here to even know who your Prime Minister is to fire back a response.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Iginla was about to become an UFA, BIG difference. Iginla has won the heart trophy and just guided his team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Rick Nash is no Jerome Iginla.

Not yet he's not but he did tie him in goals scored last year. He did it on a last place team, not a team that went to the Cup finals. He did it playing with players that belong in the AHL, he did it before he could legally buy a beer. Iginla has been around 10 years, Nash 2. Give him a few years then compare them! BTW its the HART Trophy.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
If you want to give Zherdev $5.4 mil next year as well, go for it. Maybe I need to spell out what happened in Ottawa, all those years ago.

Be warned if Zherdev does much better than Nash. And at 57 pts, it is certainly possible for Zherdev to do so.

Somewhere Zherdev's agent is rubbing his hands in anticipation....

Old
08-06-2005, 11:48 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Great, but its alot easier to make the playoffs if you sign Nash for $2.5 mil and someone else with the remaining $3 mil. Your depth guys count for more in Hockey than any other sport. It is crucial to spend as little as possible on the top end talent in order to get better depth so that you can make the playoffs.
*sigh*

Show me your ideal team/signing and I'm sure I can punch just as many holes.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Yeah, you can afford a few high price guys. So why make a guy high priced if you don't have to?

How do you know he didn't? Do you know the details? Do you know if he had to match or beat another offer? Do you know if he would have offered half of that another team wouldn't have swooped in and offered 5-6 mill to get him? Toronto has been drooling for 2 years to get this kid, even to the point of saying when his "sentence" is over in Columbus he will be where he belongs, in Toronto. If the Leafs could have him for this same contract, they would do it in a second.

You actually know nothing more than what was reported by ESPN. You make a good case for 'mouth runneth over'

Old
08-06-2005, 11:55 PM
OlliMackBjugStud
Touch My Donskoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol
Your Thrashers just signed Bobby Holik for 4.25 million per season. The same Holik who has never scored 30 goals in his career.
other than the positions, HOlik is to ATL what Foote is to CLB.
dr

Old
08-07-2005, 12:00 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I don't have the patience to read through this whole thread so forgive me if I'm repeating something someone else might have said.

I'm a Jackets fan. I think this deal is too high. I like the term fine, but I agree that it is high for a 2nd contract.

Here's my point -- if this does prove to be soooo out of line, then it'll be an abaration, not the standard, in terms of setting other young players contracts. i.e. just because Holik signed a ridculous contract with the Rangers didn't mean two-way centers suddenly were asking for $6 million plus a year -- it was an aberation.

If this is an aberation, the Jackets will pay for it by not being able to lock up guys like Zherdev and Brule in the next few years.
So, my point is, relax, put the pitchforks down.
If this contract truly sucks as much as people think, MacLean will eventually lose his job and the Jackets other young talent will skate off to other teams.
Be happy. This could be a good day for you.

This is why there is a cap. Those who get out of line pay for it. If MacLean is out of line, he and the Jackets will pay. Just chill and wait for it...

Old
08-07-2005, 12:00 AM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHA
He is 21 now and he showed in Switzerland and in the WC that he is a superstar. He will be a top 10 scorer and amongst the top 3 goal scorers. He is a stud and you need to lock him up. I would take Nash right now over Naslund (6 mil a year). He is big, strong, has a great shot, and has good quickness. He scored 41 goals as a 19 year old on a crappy team. This guy is awesome. Also, I could careless about the blue jackets.
In Switzerland he was outscored by such offensive dynamos as Randy Robitaille, Hnat Domenichelli, and Stacy Roest. At the WC he was on a fairly stacked Team Canada (yet still shut out in the Final). When will he be a top 10 scorer? When you figure that out you can pay him the big bucks.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:06 AM
sparr0w

Quote:
*sigh*

The one that broke earlier in the day. Milan Hejduk's 5 year deal. I was thrilled when it came down because it was an elite RFA with a very reasonable contract (Detroit is having issues with Datsyuk who wants $4-5M/yr). Plus Hejduk had a hell of a lot more leverage as he was one year removed from being completely unrestricted, yet he takes LESS than the qualifying offer over 5 years. Here I was hoping the RFA market was going to be a bit more reasonable than the UFA market (Tanguay taking the $3.23M was nice too) and then Nash's deal breaks.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:08 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Acutally, let me restate a little...

If MacLean truly proves to be a dumbass for this contract, than any GM that follows suit in this day, with the cap, is an equal dumbass and they deserve the same fate.

The cap ensures that it'll work itself out this way.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Egil

Quote:
*sigh*

Marian Hossa - We signed him to a 4 year $8.8 mil deal off a 56 pt season when he came off his entry level deal.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:16 AM
bizzz*

This is gonna be the best signing DM has ever made if Nash will become a superstar.
1.This deal keeps Nash in Columbus for 1 year beyond his free-agency age.
2.MacLean overpays about 1.5 million per year now, when the Jackets have a salary cap room, but at the same time he saves at least 4 millions for 2008-10 seasons, when CBJ will need some cap room for Z, Brule and co.
3.Everybody is sure that Nash stays in Columbus for at least 5 years.
4.Toronto radio stations can find another topic to talk about.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:19 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Marian Hossa - We signed him to a 4 year $8.8 mil deal off a 56 pt season when he came off his entry level deal.
Bravo. You get a gold star. You should be in great position to sign Nik Zherdev in a few years if this deal blows up in the Jackets face.
Like I said .... relax.

I know you and a lot of others want to scrap about this tonight, but this'll play itself out. You're not getting an answer now.
You'll get it in a few years and we'll revisit this debate.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:19 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
You overpaid. Do you now how much Penguins paid to Mario when he came off his entry level deal? If you dont - call to Toronto radiostation, they know everything about hockey.

Closed Thread