HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The 1920 SUMMER olympics

Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
The 1920 SUMMER olympics

What a number of oddities in a competition really.

1.Ice hockey was played at the summer olympics..

2. With seven players on the ice for each team. One being the rover of course

3. Canada was represented by a team of players with a history of having problems getting on other teams because of "racial issues".

4. Those racial issues were because of a large number of players had... ICELANDIC descent..

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Ice hockey was played at the summer olympics..
In hindsight you can call them "Summer Olympics", but the Winter Olympics didn't even exist back then, so it's an anachronism to look at 1920 with our notion of "Summer Olympics" vs "Winter Olympics" in the mind. Back then it was just THE Olympics (held from April to September!). That's why you have winter sports (figure skating 1908, ice hockey 1920) at "Summer" Olympics.

The push for Winter Games was against one of the Olympic Ideas: all participants, from all the countries and all the disciplines, should come together at one actual place (Olympic Village). But in the end strive to include more winter disciplines prevailed. In January/Februar 1924 an "International Winter Sports Week" was held before the Olympics (May-July) with figure skating and ice hockey plus several new disciplines (bobsleigh, nordic combined etc). It was only retroactively (1925) that this event was declared the first Olympic Winter Games however. From then on we have Winter Olympics. Before that they didn't exist.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Tmu84
- Tmuussoni

My favourite sport from this era was men's dueling with pistols

Tmu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Great tourny.

I'll share to the boards some high resolution pictures of all the teams inside the Palais de Glace d'Anvers in Antwerp.

Courtesy of the great site winnipegfalcons.com

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 02:25 AM
the edler
Inimitable

As for the "racial" issues it probably had more to do with language issues, or cultural issues, I think. I've read Frank Fredrickson, captain of that Olympic team, didn't speak a word of english until he was 6 years old, and identified himself very strongly as an Icelander throughout his life. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you only speak your own language at home as a kid or teenager it gets a bit tougher to fully integrate with the rest of the community or city. Fredrickson got signed by Lester Patrick and the Victoria Cougars in 1920 at 24–25 years of age when he came back from the war. Defenseman Haldor "Slim" Halderson from that same team Olympic team signed with the Cougars in 1921, so that Olympic gold opened up a lot of possibilities for those players.

But, Carol "Cully" Wilson won a Stanley Cup with the Toronto Blueshirts already in 1914. Wilson was a 100 per cent Icelander, born in Winnipeg, Fredrickson's & Halderson's home city, as Karl Erlendson. His family later changed names. Wilson played for the all-Icelandic teams Winnipeg Vikings & Winnipeg Falcons and even played 2 games for the Kenora Thistles in 1910–11.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Yes, the "racial" issues are often overstated. The Icelandic players generally kept to themselves in Winnipeg, and it is a fact that when an Icelandic team applied to join the main league around 1901 they were rejected, however that rejection was ostensibly based on the quality of the team, and that reason holds water. A few years later on the best Icelandic team was not able to beat a junior-level city team.

Cully Wilson never played for Kenora, but he did move from the Winnipeg Falcons to the Monarchs in 1910/11. Fred Oleson played goal for the Winnipeg Vics in 1903, including their Stanley Cup challenge that year. So it wasn't really a matter of race but of the quality of player. The Icelandic population took up hockey later, and so needed more time to produce players of top calibre.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
What a number of oddities in a competition really.

1.Ice hockey was played at the summer olympics..

2. With seven players on the ice for each team. One being the rover of course

3. Canada was represented by a team of players with a history of having problems getting on other teams because of "racial issues".

4. Those racial issues were because of a large number of players had... ICELANDIC descent..
Yeah, these are not oddities.

Olympics were separated in two in early '90s.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 04:42 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Cully Wilson never played for Kenora, but he did move from the Winnipeg Falcons to the Monarchs in 1910/11. Fred Oleson played goal for the Winnipeg Vics in 1903, including their Stanley Cup challenge that year. So it wasn't really a matter of race but of the quality of player. The Icelandic population took up hockey later, and so needed more time to produce players of top calibre.
How you know Wilson didn't play for Kenora? Only curious to know. A Bio of his in the canadian-icelandic paper Lögberg-Heimskringla, written by two of his descendants, says he did. As do most stats sites out there like hockey-reference, eliteprospects.com, nhl.com, hhof.com. In the Manitoba Independent League, MIPHL. I'm not a SIHR guy though so I don't have access to all the secret stuff out there.

Old
02-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Wow. What a fascinating story Edler. A part of history & the history of hockey I was unaware of, that the new immigrants & 1st generation of Icelandic immigrants faced that kind of discrimination in Manitoba. Very similar in some respects to the German community in & around Kitchener (earlier called Berlin of course) Ontario.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 06:20 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmu84 View Post
My favourite sport from this era was men's dueling with pistols

Yeah they shot at dummies. But the fencing competitions at the time tended to result in actual fencing duels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing...ummer_Olympics

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
How you know Wilson didn't play for Kenora? Only curious to know. A Bio of his in the canadian-icelandic paper Lögberg-Heimskringla, written by two of his descendants, says he did. As do most stats sites out there like hockey-reference, eliteprospects.com, nhl.com, hhof.com. In the Manitoba Independent League, MIPHL. I'm not a SIHR guy though so I don't have access to all the secret stuff out there.
I know because I researched every game of that league-season myself. There was an R. Wilson who played for Kenora, but Cully was playing for the Falcons in the same league. In fact the two Wilsons played against each other on January 13, 1911 so there's no chance they're the same player.

Old
02-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
I haven't read that whole thing yet but they needed a fact-checker. In reference to Wilson playing for the Monarchs in 1910/11 and 11/12 it says that "The Monarchs were the elite Winnipeg team at the time..." But 1910/11 was their first year in senior hockey, and they went 0-5-0 that season. In 1911/12 the Monarchs were 1-7-0. I would suggest that one win in 13 games (all against other Winnipeg teams) means the Monarchs were certainly not the elite Winnipeg team at the time.

Old
02-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

And another...the Vikings and Falcons were not the two Icelandic teams in Winnipeg. The Vikings and IAC (Icelandic Athletic Club) played against each other for a number of years, like the Vics and Winnipegs before them, and the Falcons were the result of these two clubs amalgamating. The Vikings and Falcons never co-existed.