HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Strome Injury Saga

Old
02-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Islanders1932

vCash: 500
Strome Injury Saga

So I came across this story today and I thought others might enjoy the read as much as I did, not sure how serious the injury is, but read the story of the fan who was first to report. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire story: http://letsgonyislanders.blogspot.co...jury-saga.html

Here is a tidbit from the story:

Quote:
I sent out my tweet right before the second period ended, and during the second intermission is when the emails started coming in. While I was sitting in my seat checking the score of the Islanders game on my phone, Sound Tigers Head Coach Scott Pellerin emerged into the tunnel. He immediately started looking around, and when he made eye contact with me, his mood changed. He looked up at me and said, "Are you the one that sent the tweet?" After I said that I was, he lashed out. Here is what the dialogue consisted of. It might be slightly off, but this is what the conversation consisted of:

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 08:17 AM
JeffNYI

From the blog post:

Quote:
Once the third period started, a Times Union Center security guard/usher came over and started talking to me. After reinforcing what Pellerin had just told me, he told me that I had to stop taking pictures and put my phone away.
I fought back, complaining that I shouldn't have to put them away while others continued to use their phones and take pictures. The guard told me, "I'm just saying what the coach told you." While I was talking to him, he just walked away and didn't even bother to listen to what I was trying to say. I didn't want to create a scene by arguing about the First Amendment, so I just sat quietly.
The First Amendment prevents the GOVERNMENT from infringing upon your freedom of speech. It does not prevent your employer, parents, or arena security guards (as was the case here).

Also, I used to operate a website covering a city's sports teams.. never in a million years would I have revealed a specific injury like that guy did - because opponents read the site as well and most teams had a few a-holes that would target injured areas.. especially on the teams' better players..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 08:33 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
So I came across this story today and I thought others might enjoy the read as much as I did, not sure how serious the injury is, but read the story of the fan who was first to report. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire story: http://letsgonyislanders.blogspot.co...jury-saga.html

Here is a tidbit from the story:
badly written, lacks understanding of what is going on (first ammendment?) and horny for twitter stuff= simple kid.

luki here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Islanders1932

Anyone get an update on Strome's injury? I can't seem to find one.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Anyone get an update on Strome's injury? I can't seem to find one.
Last I heard was he'll be re-evaluated later and that he's day-to-day.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
From the blog post:

The First Amendment prevents the GOVERNMENT from infringing upon your freedom of speech. It does not prevent your employer, parents, or arena security guards (as was the case here).

Also, I used to operate a website covering a city's sports teams.. never in a million years would I have revealed a specific injury like that guy did - because opponents read the site as well and most teams had a few a-holes that would target injured areas.. especially on the teams' better players..
Exactly! It drives me crazy when people cry about the 1st (or other amendments) when they're completely ignorant about it. When you're on private property-you give up your 1st rights.

When you go into an arena to watch a game/concert/etc. they're allowed to pat you down, search you for weapons, search your bags, etc. A police officer cannot stop you on the street and do this (without cause) because of the 4th--BUT on private property the owner(s), employees (on orders of the owners) can require you to get searched in order to enter the venue. You don't have to get searched-you have the option of not attending the event.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
From the blog post:

It it truly remarkable how many people do not understand what the 1st amendment is. It's really sad.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Poliz24

This would only happen in minor league hockey!

Poliz24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
If our brilliant GM didnt send him back to bridgeport so he can play a few games during the olympics he wouldnt have gotten injured to begin with.

is the team not holding training sessions during the olympic break?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
If our brilliant GM didnt send him back to bridgeport so he can play a few games during the olympics he wouldnt have gotten injured to begin with.

Pretty sure the NHL and NHLPA agreed to a work stoppage, so any workouts would be voluntary and not a team thing.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:47 AM
macleod50

Quote:

I love this line of thinking.

Who is to say he doesn't get crushed here by a good hit and ends up with a concussion? It's a contact sport, some of you seem to forget that.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:07 AM
OlTimeHockey

If I was on the S.Tigers bench, I'd have every player line up putting bars of soap in their socks to visit this twit. {compliments of Full Metal Jacket}

So Strome can look forward to some two handers in the next few games...schmuck kid.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Isles Junkie

So wait, is Ryan Strome still injured or what?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:29 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If I was on the S.Tigers bench, I'd have every player line up putting bars of soap in their socks to visit this twit. {compliments of Full Metal Jacket}

So Strome can look forward to some two handers in the next few games...schmuck kid.
Give a guy a camera and a Twitter account and he thinks he's Walter Cronkite.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:43 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

Yeah, it's amazing how this stupid kid doesn't think he did anything wrong. You're an Islanders fan and you're tweeting out pictures of exactly where an injury is on a player. The crying about the first amendment thing made me crack up.

Old
02-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Isles Fan

Another good case to support twitter being blown up forever.

Just a kid out for some self promotion. probably running around showing all his buddies how "popular" he is.

Andy Warhol said everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame. Hope he enjoyed it.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 12:55 PM
StrongIslanders90

I'm so confused

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post

I love this line of thinking.

Who is to say he doesn't get crushed here by a good hit and ends up with a concussion? It's a contact sport, some of you seem to forget that.
but atleast here it would be in the NHL and he would be playing pro.

Old
02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
macleod50

Quote:
And still has the possibility of being injured....

Should he have been kept up? Of course. Was sending him down to get a few more games a big deal? No.

Old
02-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
And still has the possibility of being injured....

Should he have been kept up? Of course. Was sending him down to get a few more games a big deal? No.
your point is what exactly? he can get injured playing guitar hero on Jt's couch jamming to Free Bird.

Point is he could be helpful up here instead of Regin. I would rather have Strome here, I dont care about AHL games anymore. He is ready for prime time and these games serve no purpose other then to give him more playing time in the minors. He got hurt in the minors.. Id rather have him here where he could help the team.

Old
02-02-2014, 04:27 PM
macleod50

Quote:
your point is what exactly? he can get injured playing guitar hero on Jt's couch jamming to Free Bird.

Point is he could be helpful up here instead of Regin. I would rather have Strome here, I dont care about AHL games anymore. He is ready for prime time and these games serve no purpose other then to give him more playing time in the minors. He got hurt in the minors.. Id rather have him here where he could help the team.
My point is your logic is awful. And your earlier post was complaining for the sake of complaining. "He only got injured cause he got sent down."

Yeah, Strome was really lighting it up when he was here. His defense is awful. Getting some more games in the AHL over the break was the right decision whether you agree with it or not.

Old
02-02-2014, 06:10 PM
leaponover

I think the point of this whole story is how crappy iphone pictures are

Android FTW!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Thatguystevie

Quote:
He wouldn't really have been "playing" pro... He would've been practicing with a partial team(minus anyone selected for an Olympic team) and still would've been at risk of injury.

I understand everyone thinks the GM of the isles can't do anything right but this is kind of silly.

Thatguystevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Jamming to Free Bird!

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:58 AM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
It it truly remarkable how many people do not understand what the 1st amendment is. It's really sad.
it really is, and thats not the only one thats misunderstood/misinterpreted. people love playing that card when they're doing something that is disruptive, or simply wrong, and its plain ignorance.

i think the guys intentions where in the right spot, but now he comes off as totally disingenuous because he had to make it about himself. my peers(25 and younger) don't seem to know anything about class, and that drives me crazy. He tried saying he was simply reporting on isles news......yea ok. some people have far too much time on their hands.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote