HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers 5 Devils 4 in OT

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2003, 04:46 PM
  #1
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Flyers 5 Devils 4 in OT

Roenick scored in OT to give the Flyers a 5-4 win over the Devils. I know it's preseaon but it's still good to wupp-up on those Devils.
goals by, Handzus 2G, Gagne 1G, Sharp 1G, Vandermeer 1G

Also, from what it sounded like, Stevens tried to layout Brashear with a big hit and Brashear didn't like it to much and decided to ***** slap him around.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 04:50 PM
  #2
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,503
vCash: 500
Yeah, it's good to get the win, but I'm still kind of worried about being up by 3 goals and then still having to go to OT.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 04:57 PM
  #3
IronMarshal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Who was in goal for the Debbies?

IronMarshal is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 04:59 PM
  #4
sandman441
Registered User
 
sandman441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ALASKA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
it was schwab and then clemmenson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=230926015

sandman441 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
  #5
IronMarshal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441
Yeah, thanks. I just checked the Flyers site and saw the box score (duh on me).
Schwab and Clemmenson, big deal.
This team has to get better or it is nowheresville again.

IronMarshal is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 05:56 PM
  #6
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMarshal
Yeah, thanks. I just checked the Flyers site and saw the box score (duh on me).
Schwab and Clemmenson, big deal.
This team has to get better or it is nowheresville again.
Firstly, they weren't in "nowheresville" last year so how could they be there again, this year? Secondly, they have a good pre-season so far and in camp most of the guys have been playing pretty well - plus they actually WON the game.

What in the heck are you whining about?

Brad* is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:27 PM
  #7
Rails
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: LBurg and FBurg, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rails
How many goals has Handzus had in the entire preseason? Has he been playing with Williams and Gagne the whole time? If so, it looks like that line is clicking pretty well.

Rails is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:32 PM
  #8
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
Firstly, they weren't in "nowheresville" last year so how could they be there again, this year? Secondly, they have a good pre-season so far and in camp most of the guys have been playing pretty well - plus they actually WON the game.

What in the heck are you whining about?
My guess is that he wants something more than a second round playoff appearance. I wouldn't think that's too much to ask if I were a Flyers fan. After all, most Devils fans and probably everyone in their organization would consider a second round exit as "nowheresville." Why should the Flyers and their fans set their sights lower?

For how long do you want to play second fiddle behind the Devils in this division, especially since the Devils have always spent less money in being better? Personally I don't blame IM for wanting hard proof that things have changed.

dedalus is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:15 PM
  #9
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne
How many goals has Handzus had in the entire preseason? Has he been playing with Williams and Gagne the whole time? If so, it looks like that line is clicking pretty well.
So far he's got 3 goals and 1 assist in 4 games. They've been playing together pretty much all of the time except for the game that Gagne missed.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:31 PM
  #10
swflyers8*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upper Darby, PA
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Tonight's game was a great game. I sat 8 rows up from the ice. Great seats. Philly got off to a fast start with Zeus scoring and then Sharp. After that, the Flyers seemed to be tired and the Devils seemed to come on. Without fail, Therien at least made 3 or 4 bad plays in his own zone.
Woywitka was ok. Dennis took the checks pretty well, there was a lot of them. The Stars and Stripes look good. Made Leclair actually look like he had some speed. The Young guns (12-14-26) also was a good line, very fast. Rico, KJ, Jimmy V were good tonight. Brashear did get the best of Stevens. He tried to sandwich him between him and another player, Donald wasn't having it. They dropped the gloves. They both got a few shots and then Donald just started to pound on him. Finally, Stevens threw him to the ground. Crowd when nuts when he did that. Great win in overtime. I wish I had those seats all the time.

swflyers8* is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 08:36 PM
  #11
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
My guess is that he wants something more than a second round playoff appearance. I wouldn't think that's too much to ask if I were a Flyers fan. After all, most Devils fans and probably everyone in their organization would consider a second round exit as "nowheresville." Why should the Flyers and their fans set their sights lower?

For how long do you want to play second fiddle behind the Devils in this division, especially since the Devils have always spent less money in being better? Personally I don't blame IM for wanting hard proof that things have changed.
nowheresville?? the Flyers aren't even close to being in nowheresville. nowheresville is a place for teams like the Rangers although there aren't to many teams that pathetic.

the Flyers won the game and dominated the first half of it till the Devils came alive. the Flyers have looked good in the pre-season and Hitchcock has been trying different things to open up the offence more which is working. the pre-season is all about getting guys ready and evaluating were your players are at and the team as a whole, nothing more.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:00 PM
  #12
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
nowheresville??
the Flyers aren't even close to being in nowheresville. nowheresville is a place for teams like the Rangers although there aren't to many teams that pathetic.

the Flyers won the game and dominated the first half of it till the Devils came alive. the Flyers have looked good in the pre-season and Hitchcock has been trying different things to open up the offence more which is working. the pre-season is all about getting guys ready and evaluating were your players are at and the team as a whole, nothing more.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:11 PM
  #13
JasonMacIsaac
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
They beat a team that had Hale, Martin, Pihlman, Suglobov, Foster, Hulbig, Pikkarenen, Clemmensen, Schwab all in the game, Bravo.

Flyers need to start gaining some good chemistry up front, It looks like they won't be scoring too many goals if they don't. Hackett has to play better. I hope Pitkanen will do well also, I hope he doesn't end up like Klesla.

 
Old
09-26-2003, 09:40 PM
  #14
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
They beat a team that had Hale, Martin, Pihlman, Suglobov, Foster, Hulbig, Pikkarenen, Clemmensen, Schwab all in the game, Bravo.
again, it's about evaluating the team more than it is winning, which they did. also, Hitchcock is trying to open up the Flyers offense with some different systems, not the team defensive system that they are used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Flyers need to start gaining some good chemistry up front, It looks like they won't be scoring too many goals if they don't.
the Flyers have been scoring goals, they have scored 15 goals in 4 games and one of them they were shutout by the Devils so, that's alot of goals. if the Hitchcock can add more offensive punch to the Flyers stifling defensive sytem, then they will be alot better and more dangerous this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Hackett has to play better.
yup, he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I hope Pitkanen will do well also, I hope he doesn't end up like Klesla
he won't.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:57 PM
  #15
Gags1288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I hope Pitkanen will do well also, I hope he doesn't end up like Klesla.
What the heck does that mean? Rotislav is a heck of a defenseman already and he's going to be a great player. Does Joni have more potential, I think he does by a little, but I wouldn't mind if Joni turned into the top 15 defenseman that Klesla still looks like he's going to be.

Gags1288 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:06 PM
  #16
Qubax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,033
vCash: 500
I think it's pretty obvious that Pitkanen will become a top 15 defenseman...I also would be surprised if he isn't in his prime a better defenceman then Klesla....but I mean there both Studs....

Qubax is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
  #17
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
I think that deep down, any true die hard flyers fan knows that they can go as far as their goaltending takes them this year.
They have the horses up front and on the blueline to make a serious run. If Hack can stay healthy and Esche gets into enough games to stay sharp I think they can win the East (that is a maybe as I am picking the senators) but the flyers wouldn't be a bad bridesmaid to ottawa IMO)

donpaulo is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 01:33 AM
  #18
Liquidrage*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
I, as a Flyers fan, consider getting whooped in Rnd 2, "Nowheresville".

We have a huge payroll. We're been able to land quality UFA's. And we get bounced in Rnd 2. Thats no where.

We should be a cup contender. I'd settle for being an "A" team. Right now and last year, we're a B team. Capable of good regular seasons. Capable of making the playoffs. Lacking in too many areas to make a real serious playoff run. Goal was a problem and still will be. I've very dissapointed Malek wasn't signed. At least with him there's potential to maybe be the guy. Esche, maybe there's the potential. Hackett? No.

What gives me hope if the blue line. We have Johnsson + 4 quality young defenseman. Quality doesn't do them justice. 1 mega-blue chip in Pitkanen, 1 legit blue chip in Woywitka, 1 highly skilled came out of no where prospect in Seidenberg and Vandermeer is the most steady of them all right now and could be a legit Top 2 paring when it's all said and done.

And who cares that we won the game? It's preseason.
What matters most is Stevens got his rear handed to him.
It's about time. Should have happened from us 5 years ago.

Liquidrage* is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:02 AM
  #19
JasonMacIsaac
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I am not a real big Klesla fan, I don't think he turned out to be anything that Columbus thought he would be, they expected alot more offense from him.

 
Old
09-27-2003, 06:53 AM
  #20
SouthFlyer82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I am not a real big Klesla fan, I don't think he turned out to be anything that Columbus thought he would be, they expected alot more offense from him.
Your way off base. Its to early and hes to young to even come close to say what he has or has not turn out to be. He just turned 21, a lot of defensemen are just coming into the league at that age.

SouthFlyer82 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:35 AM
  #21
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Is Pitkanen playing tonight?

blah is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 08:44 AM
  #22
FlyersFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
What in the heck are you whining about?
I think what IM means is that a victory against the Debs doesn't matter much unless Brodeur was in net.

At least thats what I got out of his comments, and I agree with that. Yeah, its always great to beat them, but with Schwaab & Clemmenson is net, should the game really have needed to be decided in OT?

Suppose Brodeur plays tonite and we lose, what does that mean? That the Flyers can beat Schwaab and/or Clemmenson, but not the netminder who matters. Thats what I'm concerned about, and I THINK thats what IM is concerned about as well.

FlyersFan is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 09:46 AM
  #23
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I was in attendance at the game last night.

First things first....traffic was insane. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to drive 7 miles from my home in Delaware county.

But anyway, the Fly guys were impressive. The Devils goals were scored when guys were bunched around the net and screened Hackett, but the Flyers got most of their goals off impressive wrist shots into the corner of the net or off a deflection.

By the way, Brashear beat the living **** out of Stevens. Brashear got about 25 complete jabs in and Stevens got about 5 in.

ObeySteve is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 09:59 AM
  #24
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Is Pitkanen playing tonight?
I don't think so. I read somewhere earlier this week that they were going to keep him out of both of the games on Friday and Saturday.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 10:59 AM
  #25
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I, as a Flyers fan, consider getting whooped in Rnd 2, "Nowheresville".

We have a huge payroll. We're been able to land quality UFA's. And we get bounced in Rnd 2. Thats no where.

We should be a cup contender. I'd settle for being an "A" team. Right now and last year, we're a B team. Capable of good regular seasons. Capable of making the playoffs. Lacking in too many areas to make a real serious playoff run. Goal was a problem and still will be. I've very dissapointed Malek wasn't signed. At least with him there's potential to maybe be the guy. Esche, maybe there's the potential. Hackett? No.

What gives me hope if the blue line. We have Johnsson + 4 quality young defenseman. Quality doesn't do them justice. 1 mega-blue chip in Pitkanen, 1 legit blue chip in Woywitka, 1 highly skilled came out of no where prospect in Seidenberg and Vandermeer is the most steady of them all right now and could be a legit Top 2 paring when it's all said and done.

And who cares that we won the game? It's preseason.
What matters most is Stevens got his rear handed to him.
It's about time. Should have happened from us 5 years ago.
making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs is "nowheresville"?? wow! there is 2 teams better than us in our conference IMO and they are Ottawa and the Devils, yeah that's "nowheresville". the Devils won the Cup last year and is always in the running to win it so won't find another team better. with Hitch in his 2nd year as coach, I also think that we will be better than we were last season. also having the lineup mostly intact from last year should develope better chemistry and a strong TEAM game. I will wait to judge Hackett but the fact is, I don't think we were ever going to win anything with Cechmanek in net.

finally, all you guys can whine all ya want about this team being in "nowheresville" but they could be alot worse off. it's just the "win it all" or your losers attitude that makes me laugh.

FlyersGuy69 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.