HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Not Stiff Skates - some suggestions?

Old
01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
moreoutdoor

vCash: 500
Not Stiff Skates - some suggestions?

I've had the opportunity to try some of the newer skates (APX, RBX...) and still come back to skates with less stiff boots. For me, I get better control of maneuvers, with no lose of skating power.
Coming from a pr of Graf 605s (good, but perennial lace bite...).
I'm on the lighter side for my size - 160 lbs, 5' 11", and an old fart (64).
Very acquainted with old school skates...
I'm on a budget.
Everything feels the same to me in the shop (stiffness-wise) and until I get some ice time, it's hard to tell how a skate will work.
I skated a lot on Tacks, Super Tacks & Langes... Bauer Supremes (old steel holders) were also quite fine.
Narrow foot (C), 11 shoe, very high instep, med.width heel. Lace bite seems an issue with some of the new stuff - my Grafs were snarky with that.
Any suggestions for mid price models I should look at ???
noting some good deals on Bauer Vapor X 60, Reebok White K Pump... thoughts, comments appreciated

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:44 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Air-90...item3a8a8f1608

Or some old Bauer Supremes.. tons of cheap pairs on ebay

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 09:39 AM
AIREAYE

Lower end skates?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
moreoutdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maupin Fan View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Air-90...item3a8a8f1608

Or some old Bauer Supremes.. tons of cheap pairs on ebay
Thanks, but I think you may not have read my intent properly.
I'm fully aware of what old school brings, but really don;t want to turn back the clock...
Nor am I interested in mismatched sizing.
'Budget' means I'm not going for something over $450. More like $250-$350, if I buy from a shop. I'm skating once a wk, and any 'play' is shinny. I'm not about to commit set time to a league schedule...
I just want to fool around and have some fun on the ice.

Online is not 'out', but then it's got to be under $2 bills to make the 'experiment' worthwhile - hence the reference to the Reebok White Ks.
I'm fine with buying something on spec, online, as long as it's ball park and if it doesn;t work out I can 'spin' them and call the difference 'education'.
The Grafs were the right stiffness, skated fine, but the lace bite was never fully handled, so I'll pass on Grafs this time around.

so, thoughts, suggestions ???

Old
01-27-2014, 07:37 PM
SacredPetra

If you liked everything else about the Grafs, could you get thicker tongues put on?

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:45 PM
moreoutdoor

Grafs were OK. But I guess I'd like to try something else. Yes, I have put in lacebite pads, and they work somewhat. And I'll keep the Grafs, to use and compare.
I was sortta hoping that some of the members here, who have some extensive equipment/skate experience might find it interesting to compare differences in skate stiffness. After all, a skate for my size will feel and skate very different for another guy who might be 30-50 lbs heavier. Not everyone skates 5 days a wk, not everyone does best with frankenstein boots. There's a point of fine ankle and foot control that helps skating performance. Hence my question about 'not űber stiff' skate boots...

Old
01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Chip39

How about easton rs? It's a lower cut for more maneuverability and it's on sale. The reason I didn't go with it was it's not as stiff as I wanted but still has high end features.

Chip39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
MattGTI

I noticed you mentioned the Reebok WHite K's, and that they are on clearance on a lot of websites.

I know they aren't a top model skate. However, I love mine. They are extremely comfortable, and virtually had zero break in time. They have held up well over the past year too.

I would go and try a pair on if I were you. As I said, I love mine.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Hooah4

+1 for Reebok. Just got a pair of 16k's on sale. wore them last night fo rthe first time...no pain, no real break in feel. Perfect

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I have a high instep and the only skates I could find that fit my feet decently were from the CCM U+ series. Don't have lace bite issues anymore and I crank my skates tight. Maybe have a look at those?

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Nuge93
Stuck in a "Rebuild"

Got Bauer APX 7.0's with 10 hours skated on them prior, I love them. I skate 6 days a week and have never felt any pain with them.

Nuge93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:42 AM
moreoutdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I noticed you mentioned the Reebok WHite K's, and that they are on clearance on a lot of websites.

I know they aren't a top model skate. However, I love mine. They are extremely comfortable, and virtually had zero break in time. They have held up well over the past year too.

I would go and try a pair on if I were you. As I said, I love mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I have a high instep and the only skates I could find that fit my feet decently were from the CCM U+ series. Don't have lace bite issues anymore and I crank my skates tight. Maybe have a look at those?
Interestingly, what got me started was a recent emergency trip back east. I was there for over a month, and needed some exercise. Since it was absolutely Polar cold, skating seemed like a good idea.
I was able to borrow some skates - CCM u +06; and was amazed how good they were. Aside from being baked for another foot, they really performed well and without any lacebite (I have some ideas on that - will report back when I know more...). But they were a bit spacious. However I think a good baking could take up some of the space. I then went to a skate shop and tried the RBX on - WAY TOO High volume for my foot. Although, I think I could make a U+ older version work. Reebok prolly might present the same issues and same advantages - so I'm definitely considering them.
Anyway, the U +06 stiffness was just perfect!
Problem I run into now, back in Central Coast CA, is that the nearest skate shop is 50 miles away at the rink and pretty much carries Bauer. So I'll spend some time and check out Bauers (APX already tried and seems way too stiff for my needs).
But to try on others, I'll need to travel down to Hell-A, something anyone from my area hates to do...
Easton - haven;t even been able to handle a pair, much less find one in my size...
So do I find a closeout pr of U+ CCMs? buy some reeboks and call it an experiment? see if I can find a Bauer which can work.
...with my narrow feet, even many top-end skates don;t come in narrow...
custom - way too much for just shinny and foolin around.
anyway, skate shopping is proving to be some fun.

Old
01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
goodriddance628

Have you tried on the Bauer Nexus line? not as stiff as the other lines of skate and have that old school feel, I was pretty much on the same search as you but ended up with the CCM RBZ 90's after a failed attempt with Graf's and couldn't be happier with the new CCM line. like AIREAYE said lower end skates in most lines are not as stiff as the mid to upper end

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:53 AM
IonizedCookie

Send a message via MSN to IonizedCookie Send a message via Skype™ to IonizedCookie
Find the best skate available and have them mold it to your feet right there at the shop. I always found that Bauer skates were the nicest skates on the feet. Currently I have a pair of Bauer Nexus 1000 skates and they're a beaut.

IonizedCookie is offline   Reply With Quote