HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I Hate Sather with a burning Passion!

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Original6

vCash: 500
I Hate Sather with a burning Passion!

Why is slats still around? Honestly if he wanted to rebuild why did he pick up guys like Martin "I have sucked for the last 2 seasons" Straka! We could have atleast signed one big name UFA. Satan was available, and I really don't know how those fisherman in Nassau County got him when they are in huge cap problems. Why couldn't Slats pick up the phone and call Vancouver for sopel? That guy is a good young defense man and was given away for free basically.

We are so going to get whipped by those Fishsticks!

Old
08-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Korpido

At this point I dont care how we do against the isles... The rangers are in the process of building for the FUTURE... guys like straka have a thing or two to teach balej, jessiman, hopefully immonen, ETC.

I'll take this team and a deep farm system over the fishies slightly better NHL team and their crappy farm system anyday..

Old
08-06-2005, 09:23 PM
broadwayblue

and what makes you think the isles are better than us? how many times did they beat us last year? and they are a significantly worse team today than they were then. if anything, my guess is we beat them more than any other team this year.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
Why is slats still around? Honestly if he wanted to rebuild why did he pick up guys like Martin "I have sucked for the last 2 seasons" Straka! We could have atleast signed one big name UFA. Satan was available, and I really don't know how those fisherman in Nassau County got him when they are in huge cap problems. Why couldn't Slats pick up the phone and call Vancouver for sopel? That guy is a good young defense man and was given away for free basically.

Trust me, SOpel on the Isles helps the Rangers more than it helps the Isles.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
and what makes you think the isles are better than us?
LoL, who are we kiddding?

Old
08-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
and what makes you think the isles are better than us? how many times did they beat us last year? and they are a significantly worse team today than they were then. if anything, my guess is we beat them more than any other team this year.
Isles aren't significantly worse.

Old
08-07-2005, 06:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The Isles are somewhat improved for a couple of reasons - (1) the acquisition of Satan puts a legitimate goal=scorer on a line with Yashin; (2) the trade of Peca removes the ugly dynamic from the locker room; and (3) getting Mike York adds a good player to their lineup. Their defense is a wash at best- Hamrlik/Aucoin/Jonsson as opposed to Zhitnik/Sopel. The Flyers got Forsberg, but their signings on D do not impress me. The Pens have taken themselves out of the lottery territory. The team that strikes me as going backwards are the Devils. The loss of Neidermayer hurts. The Rangers are destined for last.

Last edited by jas: 08-07-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old
08-07-2005, 09:14 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The Isles are somewhat improved for a couple of reasons - (1) the acquisition of Satan puts a legitimate goal=scorer on a line with Yashin; (2) the trade of Peca removes the ugly dynamic from the locker room; and (3) getting Mike York adds a good player to their lineup. Their defense is a wash at best- Hamrlik/Aucoin/Jonsson as opposed to Zhitnik/Sopel. The Flyers got Forsberg, but their signings on D do not impress me. The Pens have taken themselves out of the lottery teritory. The team that strikes me as going backwards are the Devils. The loss of Neidermayer hurts. The Rangers are destined for last.

I agree here but the Devils always seem to find someone from within. None will be as good as Niedermeyer but that guy Paul Martin looks like he'll be a good one. I was pissed when we didn't take him in the second round.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:28 AM
King Nothing*

But you just contradicted yourself. You said that why did he pick up guys like Martin Straka and thought he was going to rebuild but then you are saying that we are going to get so whipped by the Islanders? You can't have it both ways. If we are going to rebuild then, YES, we are going to bet our butts handed to us by the division. It is expected. We will finish 28th this season. And you know what? That is perfectly fine by me. As long as he sticks to the game plan.

Sather signed Straka and the other guys because they were willing to accept 1 - 2 year deals. Take a look out there and see what all the other free agents have been signed to. 3, 4, 5 year contracts. WE, as an organization, do not want that. If Straka sucks then seeya next year. If not, then sign him for another year. You've got to understand his motives before tearing him apart. His motive for signing Straka is the same motive for hiring Adam Graves. Experience, information, learning, practice.

I bet you wished they signed Brian Leetch.

Quote:

Old
08-07-2005, 09:31 AM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpido
At this point I dont care how we do against the isles... The rangers are in the process of building for the FUTURE... guys like straka have a thing or two to teach balej, jessiman, hopefully immonen, ETC.

I'll take this team and a deep farm system over the fishies slightly better NHL team and their crappy farm system anyday..

And i didn't even read any further than that one post and look at this. The exact thing was said about Strake. EXCELLENT point. This is exactly how I feel also. DO Korpido and I know for a fact this why he signed him? NO. But, it makes sense to me.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:33 AM
otto1219

just curious is there anyone here who likes glen sather, or maybe not necessarily hates him?

Old
08-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
maybe he wants to finnish last to be able to draft Phil Kessel.. he certainly is looking like that... Imagine Kessel an american the closest thing to Crosby in New York... uhmmm maybe that could be his plan..

anyway, good luck NY as long as you are not ahead of my habs i have no problem !

Old
08-07-2005, 09:46 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
just curious is there anyone here who likes glen sather, or maybe not necessarily hates him?
I just want him out of the way. Maloney and Renney are doing the heavy lifting. Sather seems nothing more than a figurehead at this point.

Old
08-07-2005, 10:34 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

We can also count the games against the leafs. Weekes is a leaf killer.

Old
08-07-2005, 10:39 AM
natureboy*

The upsetting thing about sather is that he really doesn't appear to have a set plan. On the surface it appears that he wants to wait for next years free agents, but it has been reported in a number of publications that he offered contracts to Forsberg, Aucoin and Naslund which would contradict his original plan for next year.

Old
08-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
i dont think any ranger fan can honestly say they like sather.

Old
08-07-2005, 11:40 AM
chosen

Quote:
Why is slats still around?
I wholeheartedly agree with you but others here don't like such talk.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Why is slats still around????

Ask Mr. Dolan. He seems to have a very tight relationship with him.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
But you just contradicted yourself. You said that why did he pick up guys like Martin Straka and thought he was going to rebuild but then you are saying that we are going to get so whipped by the Islanders? You can't have it both ways. If we are going to rebuild then, YES, we are going to bet our butts handed to us by the division. It is expected. We will finish 28th this season. And you know what? That is perfectly fine by me. As long as he sticks to the game plan.

Sather signed Straka and the other guys because they were willing to accept 1 - 2 year deals. Take a look out there and see what all the other free agents have been signed to. 3, 4, 5 year contracts. WE, as an organization, do not want that. If Straka sucks then seeya next year. If not, then sign him for another year. You've got to understand his motives before tearing him apart. His motive for signing Straka is the same motive for hiring Adam Graves. Experience, information, learning, practice.

I bet you wished they signed Brian Leetch.
They got straka to keep Jagr Happy. Sather didn't get any quality guys. Mattheiu Dandenault anyone?

Guy really doesn't have any plans and is just trying to buy time. For what? for who?.... I think for his job.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
They got straka to keep Jagr Happy. Sather didn't get any quality guys. Mattheiu Dandenault anyone?

Guy really doesn't have any plans and is just trying to buy time. For what? for who?.... I think for his job.
Not for his job--he doesn't need the job and he's certainly gotten enough money in his career to last his family for a very long time. Sather is trying to restore his reputation as a hockey genius. He was going to come here and create an exciting, winning team on his own terms. And what happened? He's now the laughing stock of the hockey world. This isn't about money, this is about his place in hockey history.

Old
08-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Entrancemperium

Bring back.....

Mike Keenan for gm

Old
08-07-2005, 04:44 PM
neversummer

I don't care who the GM is because the organization is doing what I've wanted for years, youth movement with accountability. At this point, the less the GM does the better until we have a few home grown players to be proud of.

Old
08-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer
I don't care who the GM is because the organization is doing what I've wanted for years, youth movement with accountability. At this point, the less the GM does the better until we have a few home grown players to be proud of.

Old
08-07-2005, 07:25 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Ask yourself these questions

Quote:

did he sign those euros to soothe Jagr's ego, or

did he sign them because they have experience playing without the red line?

did he sign them to short term deals so that come next year and the year after when much younger players are available he has room under the cap to go acquire some real talent with the possibility of theior having their best years still to come?

Why would you sign someone who doesn't fit the profile of the type of player you want and have gone out of your way to draft and trade for?

Answer these and you will have your answers. You are still a UFA junkie. Sign up for a fantasy league and you can still get your fill. because it ain't happening here this year.

Old
08-07-2005, 07:26 PM
broadwayblue

A fresh start for the new Rangers...

i agree with many of you that this team has been an abomination on just about every level for nearly the past 10 years. despite that, and the fact that Sather remains allowed within 100 miles of MSG, i actually feel like things may be turning around. we finally have some decent prospects coming up through the system. we aren't signing any past their prime stars to long term contracts. we're building from goalie out. the short term outlook might be bleak, but if they stay the course things can be totally different in 2 or 3 seasons. should we have gone in this direction years ago...absolutely. but you can't change the past. we can either continue to do what we've been doing and go nowhere, or learn from our mistakes and move forward.

and despite what people are saying about big name free agents not wanting to come here i have to disagree. first of all, we don't want them here now anyway so who really cares. guys like forsberg aren't going to be a part of the new Rangers. we're going to start by building from within and that's going to take a little time. but look at the big picture, say 2 years from now, when guys like Lundqvist or Montoya are giving us solid play between the pipes, and our young defensive corp of Staal, Tjutin, Sauer, and others are helping to keep our goals against below 2.5 for the first time in many years. you'll see a team that is playing like a team. now look to the forwards and see a couple guys from the likes of Jessiman, Dawes, Korpikowski, Balej, Lundmark and the rest finally starting to reach their potential. now you've got a team with a positive attitude that is ready to start winning. a team that plays with heart and gives a solid effort for 60 minutes every night. that's when we're going to be able to start signing the key free agents for solid money...because there's going to be good things starting to happen and we're going to have cap money to spend. and because New York City is one of the best places to live in if you're a professional athlete with millions of dollars. and as the saying goes..."if you build it they will come."

so look at this season as the beginning of the end of the old days. there are plenty of tough days ahead, but we're finally going to turn the page. a new chapter of NYR hockey is about to begin. that's my take at least.

Closed Thread