HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Lecavalier wants to stay in Tampa Bay, sign a long term deal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2005, 01:08 AM
  #1
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 34,734
vCash: 500
Lecavalier wants to stay in Tampa Bay, sign a long term deal

Lecavalier wants long-term deal
TheFourthPeriod.com

The Lightning may have lost Nikolai Khabibulin, but if Vincent Lecavalier has his way, he'll be in Tampa for a long time.
According to the St. Petersburg Times, Lecavalier, who could be an unrestricted free agent after this season, said he wants a long-term contract.

"That's my preference," he told the paper.


http://www.thefourthperiod.com/

The convential wisdom around here had him almost a given as going to Montreal next year didn't it? Gives me a bit of hope about the similar convential wisdom about Crosby.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 01:11 AM
  #2
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,207
vCash: 500
I can understand that. He's still young, so any long term deal isn't going to be his last, unless it's an Alexei Yashin type deal, but I highly doubt that. With Nash getting on average $5.4 mil from the BJ's today, I can definitely see Lecavalier getting at least that from the Lightning. Maybe something like a $27.5 mil over 5 years?

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 01:21 AM
  #3
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
That's extremely surprising, because I really don't think Vincent Lecavalier wants to be back in Tampa Bay. I understand there are reports which say the exact opposite, but it's simply my feeling and I thought he would've wanted to test unrestricted free agency next summer.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 01:31 AM
  #4
Vincent_TheGreat
Registered User
 
Vincent_TheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Lecavalier wants long-term deal
TheFourthPeriod.com

The Lightning may have lost Nikolai Khabibulin, but if Vincent Lecavalier has his way, he'll be in Tampa for a long time.
According to the St. Petersburg Times, Lecavalier, who could be an unrestricted free agent after this season, said he wants a long-term contract.

"That's my preference," he told the paper.


http://www.thefourthperiod.com/

The convential wisdom around here had him almost a given as going to Montreal next year didn't it? Gives me a bit of hope about the similar convential wisdom about Crosby.

First of all Agent has told him to sign 1 year deal, just like Thornton. Lecavalier said all this before Kahbi was gone. I don't see him staying next year unless they pick up a big time goalie. They will suffer bad without Khabi. Also Lecavalier may very well sign a longterm deal to stay in TB, but not this year. Not a good source to use either!

Vincent_TheGreat is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 01:37 AM
  #5
Release The Lehner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
The source is the St.Petersburg Times Newspaper.
I'd think that would be the best possible source to use since they own the TB arena dont they?

Release The Lehner is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 01:50 AM
  #6
djzeus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Country: United Nations
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
They don't own the arena, but they do own the naming rights: hence the St. Pete Times Forum. For what its worth, IMO the Times is far superior to the Tampa Tribune when it comes to hockey (or anything else for that matter).

djzeus is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 02:11 AM
  #7
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
First of all Agent has told him to sign 1 year deal, just like Thornton. Lecavalier said all this before Kahbi was gone. I don't see him staying next year unless they pick up a big time goalie. They will suffer bad without Khabi. Also Lecavalier may very well sign a longterm deal to stay in TB, but not this year. Not a good source to use either!
His agent told him to sign a one year deal? You got a source for that? I haven't seen it anywhere in the reports on Lecavalier, unless you know his agent personally. That quote came in Saturday's edition, after Khabibulin signed with Chicago. He wanted a long term deal before Khabi left and still wants a long deal after Khabibulin left. The St. Pete Times is a TERRIBLE source for information on Lecavalier's status with the Lightning, probably should use RDS since they are VERY reliable when it comes to Lecavalier information (hint: sarcasm used in this sentance).

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 02:44 AM
  #8
Vincent_TheGreat
Registered User
 
Vincent_TheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
His agent told him to sign a one year deal? You got a source for that? I haven't seen it anywhere in the reports on Lecavalier, unless you know his agent personally. That quote came in Saturday's edition, after Khabibulin signed with Chicago. He wanted a long term deal before Khabi left and still wants a long deal after Khabibulin left. The St. Pete Times is a TERRIBLE source for information on Lecavalier's status with the Lightning, probably should use RDS since they are VERY reliable when it comes to Lecavalier information (hint: sarcasm used in this sentance).
RDS is a legit source, so stop bashing them! As for the source I have no idea what the source was, it was on one of the Lecavalier threads, there's just way to many of these threads to remember which one. I wish we could just have 1 Thornton and 1 Vinny thread, would make things easier!

Vincent_TheGreat is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 05:29 AM
  #9
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I can understand that. He's still young, so any long term deal isn't going to be his last, unless it's an Alexei Yashin type deal, but I highly doubt that.
What was Yashin's deal?

Phousse is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 05:33 AM
  #10
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
His agent told him to sign a one year deal? You got a source for that? I haven't seen it anywhere in the reports on Lecavalier, unless you know his agent personally. That quote came in Saturday's edition, after Khabibulin signed with Chicago. He wanted a long term deal before Khabi left and still wants a long deal after Khabibulin left. The St. Pete Times is a TERRIBLE source for information on Lecavalier's status with the Lightning, probably should use RDS since they are VERY reliable when it comes to Lecavalier information (hint: sarcasm used in this sentance).
RDS actually has significant hockey coverage. Don't confuse talk in shows with RDS as a whole.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 05:36 AM
  #11
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,722
vCash: 500
hopefully if he does sign it will put an end to those mtl rumors once and for all. I don't want him, they guy is overrated. Look at his career stats, nothing special. He always played rather poorly in the playoffs last season, with the only round that saw him produce at any level at all really being the conference semis against montreal.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 05:37 AM
  #12
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Lecavalier wants long-term deal
TheFourthPeriod.com

The Lightning may have lost Nikolai Khabibulin, but if Vincent Lecavalier has his way, he'll be in Tampa for a long time.
According to the St. Petersburg Times, Lecavalier, who could be an unrestricted free agent after this season, said he wants a long-term contract.

"That's my preference," he told the paper.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/

The convential wisdom around here had him almost a given as going to Montreal next year didn't it? Gives me a bit of hope about the similar convential wisdom about Crosby.
Even if he wants to leave and go to the Habs or whatever team, do you really expect him to come out and say he wants out of tampa? The key is what he is telling his agent, family and friends, not what he's telling a reporter. Most of the time players just BS the press. Saying "That's my preference" is hardly a ringing endorsement. Alot of guys have said the same type of thing and still bolted as soon as they could.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 06:37 AM
  #13
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,019
vCash: 500
He has at least one more season in TB, if he really wanted to leave, he would never say anything to the contrary, it would be a PR disaster, ala Brisebois.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 10:01 AM
  #14
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
hopefully if he does sign it will put an end to those mtl rumors once and for all.
It won't. He could sign a ten year deal here with a no-trade clause (if it were possible) and we'd still have people pulling Vinny to Montreal rumors out of their collective backsides every week.

People wanted to see it from the horse's mouth, there it is, yet they still dispute it. Unreal.

__________________
Boltprospects: Your online source for Tampa Bay Lightning Prospect News
Sotnos is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 10:08 AM
  #15
Isles_Goal
Registered User
 
Isles_Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Goal
I'll believe it when I see it.

When the offers start rolling in that Tampa Bay can't or won't match he'll change his mind.

Isles_Goal is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 10:10 AM
  #16
HABsurde
Registered User
 
HABsurde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
It won't. He could sign a ten year deal here with a no-trade clause (if it were possible) and we'd still have people pulling Vinny to Montreal rumors out of their collective backsides every week.

People wanted to see it from the horse's mouth, there it is, yet they still dispute it. Unreal.
Oh yeah, i forgot, because it's publish in a newspaper, it absolutely has to be true.

Of course Vincent would like to stay in Tampa, does this mean that he will necessarely sign a long term deal this year? Nope, if he's smart, he'll sign for one year, see what Feaster does in term of goaltending, and if the situation is right for him, sign a long term extension during the season and if not, test the UFA market next season and go where he'll be the most wanted money wise or where he really wants to play, which could mean back to Tampa or also, sorry for the one who refuse to believe it, maybe Montreal.

So the rumor will effectively not die unless he signs a long turn deal with the Bolts.

HABsurde is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 10:22 AM
  #17
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,952
vCash: 500
There isn't a doubt in my mind that Lecavalier will remain a Bolt for AT LEAST one more long-term contract (5 years).

The Khabibulin to Chicago move sealed the deal, as far as I'm concerned.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 10:30 AM
  #18
rwilson99
Registered User
 
rwilson99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TAMPA, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
hopefully if he does sign it will put an end to those mtl rumors once and for all. I don't want him, they guy is overrated. Look at his career stats, nothing special. He always played rather poorly in the playoffs last season, with the only round that saw him produce at any level at all really being the conference semis against montreal.
He also set up the cup winner against Calgary.

But he's no Brad Richards though.

rwilson99 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:09 AM
  #19
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99
But he's no Brad Richards though.
Thank goodness. A good team needs a line-up of different types of talent.

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:21 AM
  #20
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde
Nope, if he's smart, he'll sign for one year, see what Feaster does in term of goaltending, and if the situation is right for him, sign a long term extension during the season and if not, test the UFA market next season and go where he'll be the most wanted money wise or where he really wants to play, which could mean back to Tampa or also, sorry for the one who refuse to believe it, maybe Montreal.
If Vincent is smart, he'll look at the whole picture, not just the one you present.

What if he signs a 1-year deal, blows a knee & ends his career or cannot recover sufficiently to garner the massive contract? (God forbid.)

What if, as most expect, revenues aren't what are predicted and the salary cap goes *down,* taking the 20% max salary down with it?

What if, as it looks right now, many clubs are stupid enough to blow their entire budget for years on long-term, high paying deals for players this year, leaving so little cap room that any deals they can offer might well be for less than what he could get long-term, guaranteed, here?

What if he'd prefer to play for a Stanley Cup contender, where at least 2-3 of his best friends play, than for a possible bottom dweller?

He'd be foolish not to examine all the alternatives and their consequences, which, sorry for those who refuse to believe it, just may be a long-term deal with Tampa Bay.

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:22 AM
  #21
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
RDS is a legit source, so stop bashing them! As for the source I have no idea what the source was, it was on one of the Lecavalier threads, there's just way to many of these threads to remember which one. I wish we could just have 1 Thornton and 1 Vinny thread, would make things easier!
RDS is a legit source.... I'm still waiting for Khabibulin to sign with Phoenix because he has a house there (reported on RDS) and it was RDS who started the rumor about Lecavalier signing a one year deal and then bolting to Montreal (which sources close to the negotiation said was more media creation than fact). RDS has created false rumors before and reported them as fact so some (I'm not the only one) do not take them seriously. If his agent was telling him to sign a one year deal, there would have been something in the local papers. I have yet to see that in the local papers, all I've seen is Vinny interested in a long term deal.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:23 AM
  #22
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Goal
I'll believe it when I see it.

When the offers start rolling in that Tampa Bay can't or won't match he'll change his mind.
To my knowledge, there have been zero RFA offer sheets for anyone so far. Have you heard rumors that some are on the way for Vinny? If so, which teams are contemplating doing so?

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:26 AM
  #23
Resolute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Vinny is human and a hockey player.

Fact is, with about 99% of players in this game, "I want to stay with x and sign a long term deal" actually means "I want to stay with x and sign a long term deal for what I feel I am worth."

If Tampa doesnt give Vinny the numbers he wants, he is going to go somewhere else in a year and proclaim how he always wanted to be there.

If Tampa does give him the numbers he wants, then Tampa gets him long term.

Resolute is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:30 AM
  #24
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
First of all Agent has told him to sign 1 year deal,
That's fascinating, and Vincent needs to fire his agent immediately. Giving this kind of advice without even having opened negotiations with the team is pretty irresponsible (his agent has had scheduling conflicts and they have yet to discuss any contract terms -- they are to meet and begin negotiations tomorrow).

Can you sustantiate your revelation or is this just wishful thinking on your part?

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
08-07-2005, 11:30 AM
  #25
Hawksfan_27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
They all say that in their last year. That way the fans don't boo him the whole season. Then he leaves after the season. Happens all too often

Hawksfan_27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.