HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiver Draft - Canucks Protection List (Official)

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 03:46 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
1) I doubt Baumer goes anywhere. He was available last year, no one took him.

5) Just because a guy is on the waiver list? Lots of decent players have been exposed, as well as actually acquired via the waiver list. Maybe we should wait until we see how he actually does this year before we declare him a huge failure again.

6) Boucher, Shields, and Hnilicka would all have sufficed as a backup, and allowed us to keep our 2nd round pick. I still say you build your team in the offseason by signing free agents, and save the trades for *during* the season.
No... sorry.. Hnilicka would not have sufficed.. the guy with a 1.6ish million dollar contract who couldn't even stay with the Thrashers last season doesn't cut it.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:04 PM
cyrisweb

vCash: 500
Quote:
6) Boucher, Shields, and Hnilicka would all have sufficed as a backup, and allowed us to keep our 2nd round pick. I still say you build your team in the offseason by signing free agents, and save the trades for *during* the season.
2 million dollars for Boucher?? who are you kidding..
Hedberg is a clear upgrade over both Shields and Hnilicka..
The entire reason for picking up a guy like Hedberg is because there are so many question marks around Cloutier. Can he stay healthy can he improve his play in the playoffs.. If we just picked up any old scrub off waivers then we end up with another Skudra situation where the coach and the team don't trust him and can not rely on him.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:05 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Boucher, Shields, and Hnilicka would all have sufficed as a backup, and allowed us to keep our 2nd round pick. I still say you build your team in the offseason by signing free agents, and save the trades for *during* the season.
Boucher - Too much money, too little results. 2 million is a lot of money for a backup goaltender. Since his big playoffs he has been nothing but a disappointment. I would rather have Hedberg

Shields - You have a point here. Same salary, close age wise, but Hedberg has proven more and shown the ability to be a #1. Shields hasn't, IMO, even though he has been given many opportunities. Could not grab the #1 for a decent Boston team last year. Having said that, he would have been a good solution to the backup role, and could have pushed Clouts for playing time.

Hnilicka - Little bit more money, but not as good of a goalie. Not the best option for Vancouver.

All in all Hedberg will be a solid addition and will help us more than Shields would have, but I think that improvement is marginal and in a perfect world Burke would have been better served trying to grab Shields and save the 2nd rounder.

However, who knows if Shields even lasts until our pick, and if that was the case and we were walking away from the waiver draft with Tyler Moss as our backup I wouldn't be very happy at all. Then trading a 2nd rounder for Hedberg would look mighty good. This is all in hindsight. I will reserve my final judgement until I see where Shields goes, if at all.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:55 PM
orcatown

I'm with you on that one mecca. I hated playing against Todd Simpson. He is one mean begger. The only trouble is salary - 1.5 mill. and the fact he is very penalty prone. Also something happened (and I've forgotten) discipline-wise last season with Simpson. However, I would like to have him for the toughest and decent skills he brings. Probably long gone before the Canucks could take a pass at him.

As to the goaltenders. I don't see any of these guys including the much passed around Shields as pushing Cloutier. We need someone who can be first string if Cloutier falters.

Another name of interest on the list is Reichel. However doubt anyone takes this obvious salary dump.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:26 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
Oh, and we exposed Leif Rohlin ... how are we going to get through the season without him

Even if I wasn't inebriated (and listening to music from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack ) I think that would make me laught out loud.

Stupid )(*@#*#druken... primadonna...

Old
10-01-2003, 11:30 PM
cyrisweb

If we loose Langdon, how about the idea of picking up Muckalt?
I think he could play a similar role as Klatt did here, but for the money we want to spend. As Muckalt is only $800,000.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:35 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i was just coming to this thread to mention muckalt.. however i see he's already made an appearance..

i think he'd be an excellent addition, and could fill in for an injured player *cough arvedson cough*... at any point and otherwise platoon productively with mike keane (who shouldn't be consistently dressed imo)

Old
10-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Lanny Bohonos!!! Lanny Bohonos!!!

Old
10-02-2003, 12:06 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
calm down lonny :p

Old
10-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
calm down lonny :p
Dammit, it's LONNY... krap.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
i was just coming to this thread to mention muckalt.. however i see he's already made an appearance..

i think he'd be an excellent addition, and could fill in for an injured player *cough arvedson cough*... at any point and otherwise platoon productively with mike keane (who shouldn't be consistently dressed imo)

No to picking up Muckalt....
I'd like him but there nobody we can expose after we picked him up...
We would have to expose a forward...And he really isn't an upgrade over any of our protected forwards...
The only player we have protected that I can see us safely dropping is Slegr...limiting us to picking a defenseman only...

Old
10-02-2003, 07:44 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin
No to picking up Muckalt....
I'd like him but there nobody we can expose after we picked him up...
We would have to expose a forward...And he really isn't an upgrade over any of our protected forwards...
The only player we have protected that I can see us safely dropping is Slegr...limiting us to picking a defenseman only...
first one to mention that we would need to drop a player if we pick up a player (not if we lose a player already exposed).

If we lose Langdon, we can't replace him with anyone, unless we decide to expose another player.... the next on the list is probably Lindgren - is there anyone there to pick up to swap with Lindgren?? IMO no.. when you factor in that he already gives us what we need in his position and role, that it's not really worth it.

also with Mucklat... you think that Crawford has forgotten about him and their very rocky relationship?? he was shipped out of Vancouver in no small part thanks to Crawford's dislike for him... I doubt that Burke would bring him back.

personally with Langdon and Baumer... I'd rather lose Langdon... if we do, I think the team would then sign Keane, and still have a 14th spot open through the season for who ever has earned it for that time from Manitoba... I liked the fact the team carried 13 forwards, instead of 14, after the Warriner deal last year... opened up the door to see King and Reid last season, and without those handful of games they got, they might not be where they are today - both those guys jumped significantly up our depth charts late last season.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Not really anyone I'd like to see us roll the dice on. Bill Muckalt would be a decent pickup, as would someone like Mattias Timmander. But we have cheaper/better versions of them in Mats Lindgren and Jiri Slegr/Nolan Baumgartner.

Personally, I'd like to see Baumgartner get picked off. He wasn't all that impressive last season, and the Manitoba Moose now have a logjam on defense. Langdon, I don't think, will be claimed, but it could happen. If that happens, we could always snag Eric Boulton from the Sabres. :p

~Canucklehead~

10-02-2003, 09:06 AM
TonyTanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Not really anyone I'd like to see us roll the dice on. Bill Muckalt would be a decent pickup, as would someone like Mattias Timmander. But we have cheaper/better versions of them in Mats Lindgren and Jiri Slegr/Nolan Baumgartner.

Personally, I'd like to see Baumgartner get picked off. He wasn't all that impressive last season, and the Manitoba Moose now have a logjam on defense. Langdon, I don't think, will be claimed, but it could happen. If that happens, we could always snag Eric Boulton from the Sabres. :p

~Canucklehead~
But who do you drop to pick up Boulton? If Langdon goes, May dresses every game and Grenier probably gets the call for specific games where a heavyweight might be needed.

The Canucks have had it easy in the past few waiver drafts due to the youth of their team. This year, putting Langdon out there is pretty low risk, next year, I'd imagine the choices get tougher again as more AHL level guys require waivers to go down.

If I'm Burke, I love to have a problem like this, it means the team has made a lot of progress and has too many (if that isn't an oxymoron) NHL calibre players.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
New Jersey Devils
Available

Maxim Balmochnykh, F; Jiri Bicek, F; Alex Brooks, D; Greg Crozier, F; Craig Darby, F; Ray Giroux, D; Steve Guolla, F; Joe Hulbig, F; Steve Kariya, F; Mike Matteucci, D; Scott Clemmensen, G.

Phoenix Coyotes
Available

Frank Banham, F; Chris Ferraro, F; Peter Ferraro, F; Bryan Helmer, D; Brian Savage, F; Gary Shuchuk, F; Todd Simpson, D; Nikos Tselios, D; Mike Wilson, D; Brian Boucher, G; Jean-Marc Pelletier, G.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Available

Lonny Bohonos, F; Harold Druken, F; Maxim Galanov, D; Aaron Gavey, F; Travis Green, F; Josh Holden, F; Brad Leeb, F; Marc Moro, D; Robert Reichel, F; Mike Minard, G.
You forgot to hightlight Josh Holden. :p :p

Old
10-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

One guy I forgot to mention--I wouldn't mind at all if we unprotected Jiri Slegr and claimed Todd Simpson. Simpson's a local boy, crease-clearing defensemen, just the type we need. None of our defenders play a tough game, Simpson can do that. If we lost Langdon, claiming Simpson to replace his toughness wouldn't be a bad move.

~Canucklehead~

Old
10-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Don't know if i post in the right thread ....

Is Justin Kurtz still with us ?

Old
10-02-2003, 04:08 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden

No. I think he signed to play in Europe, but I am not sure where.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:33 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman
You forgot to hightlight Josh Holden. :p :p
Not to mention Mike Wilson, Arturs Irbe, Mark Wotton, Bill Muckalt, Andre Savage, Martin Brochu, and Eric Fichaud (was in Manitoba two years ago).

You can almost make a whole team out of ex-canucks on waivers.

With the protected list as it is, I think it's pretty clear Burkie will *not* be picking up anybody. There's no obvious drop candidate.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden

He's German now :p

Old
10-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
This one kind of stuck out at me ....

Pittsburgh Penguins

Protected

Ramzi Abid, F; Drake Berehowsky, D; Marc Bergevin, D; Matt Bradley, F;
Kelly Buchberger, F; Brendan Buckley, D; Mike Eastwood, F; Rico Fata, F;
Dan Focht, D; Brian Holzinger, F; Milan Kraft, F; Mario Lemieux, F; Steve
McKenna, F; Josef Melichar, D; Aleksey Morozov, F; Michal Rozsival, D;
Martin Straka, F; Dick Tarnstrom, D; Jean-Sebastien Aubin, G; Sebastien
Caron, G.

Available

Patrick Boileau, D; Tom Kostopoulos, F; Richard Lintner, D; Eric Meloche,
F; Toby Petersen, F; Reid Simpson, F; Martin Brochu, G.

Good thing Burkey pulled off that Hedberg trade
I think we could use a temporary fill-in at backup seeing as Hedberg's injured...

Closed Thread