HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Lars Eller?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
  #251
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
EGG was our most consistent line before it was broken up so why can't Pac/DD/Gally be broken up?
Thqat's not true. Plekanec's line was the most productive line when Gallagher was put with DD and Pacioretty.

Losing Gallagher shouldn't stop Galchenyuk and Eller from putting up points. If that's the case then he is a star and they are both massively overrated. Pacioretty-Deshranais have produced with different RW the last 3 years.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:33 PM
  #252
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Thqat's not true. Plekanec's line was the most productive line when Gallagher was put with DD and Pacioretty.

Losing Gallagher shouldn't stop Galchenyuk and Eller from putting up points. If that's the case then he is a star and they are both massively overrated. Pacioretty-Deshranais have produced with different RW the last 3 years.
wrong, Gallagher stopped producing since with DD... with Eller he was doing fine...

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:37 PM
  #253
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Gallagher was moved around a lot in the first 20 games. Eller spent < 33% of his time with him. You keep claiming he spent 50% of his time with him. 33% != 50%



So why was the EGG line broken up before game 4? Was it not productive enough in the first 3 games of the season?
You guys need to get your facts together. One says the EGG line was the best before Gallagher was put with Pacioretty-Desharnais and the other says they didn't really stay together, which is it?

Still pathetic for people to call themselves Habs fan and bend over backwards for a guy with no points and -10 in the last 14 games and would send the guy with 26 in 34 games to the ECHL at the drop of a hat.

How many of you were blaming linemates or saying Desharnais was great defensively when he wasn't producing early on?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:39 PM
  #254
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
wrong, Gallagher stopped producing since with DD... with Eller he was doing fine...
So he's been playing with Eller the last 3 games? ...while picking up 4 points?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:41 PM
  #255
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
So he's been playing with Eller the last 3 games? ...while picking up 4 points?
exactly, he's played with DD for only the last 3 games...


and it's 4 points in 4 games... get your facts straight.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  #256
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
exactly, he's played with DD for only the last 3 games...


and it's 4 points in 4 games... get your facts straight.
For a guy that stopped producing he had a nice January...13 GP 4-5-10, his best month of the season.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  #257
cphabs
It complels you!
 
cphabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WNY
Country: United States
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
He didn't change his name to Elleau

cphabs is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  #258
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r View Post
It's not like Desharnais produced any better playing on the third and fourth line. Give the guy some offensively gifted wingers and Eller will produce.
without checking nhl.com, im pretty sure dd did

MasterDecoy is online now  
Old
02-04-2014, 06:07 PM
  #259
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
For a guy that stopped producing he had a nice January...13 GP 4-5-10, his best month of the season.
in 2014, since January, with DD and Patches, 10 points in 15 games, -1

first 15 games of the season, on the EGG line, 10 points in 15 games, +3



good thing he had his best stretch of the season away from Eller

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
  #260
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Eclipse View Post
Actually, one of the funniest things about Desharnais' supporters on this board is that they all preface their arguments with "I'm not a Desharnais fan"
I am a Habs fan first.

I want DD and Eller to succeed equally because both of them having success means that the team is having success.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 06:52 PM
  #261
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You guys need to get your facts together. One says the EGG line was the best before Gallagher was put with Pacioretty-Desharnais and the other says they didn't really stay together, which is it?

Still pathetic for people to call themselves Habs fan and bend over backwards for a guy with no points and -10 in the last 14 games and would send the guy with 26 in 34 games to the ECHL at the drop of a hat.

How many of you were blaming linemates or saying Desharnais was great defensively when he wasn't producing early on?
It's not personal, or it shouldn't be, because it's about the team's success.

The Habs were garbage two seasons ago when Desharnais had a good year. Last season the Habs surprisingly were among the best teams, and Desharnais was just so-so if not irrelevant. This year the Habs started off well, even though Desharnais was putrid. Now the Habs are so-so if not mediocre, but Desharnais is the team's top centre.

Maybe that's all just coincidence. But I think it's more than that. They've decided to build around Desharnais, from the 4 year extension, to the ridiculous theory of signing Briere, to the line changes and icetime this season. I've seen nothing in the team's performance to make me think that's a good vision for the team.

To me, this whole debate is about Eller last year and the first part of this year representing a different potential vision for the team. With a Good Eller, I think the team is simply better than it is with Desharnais as the team's Designated Top Centre. And I also think the disappearance of Good Eller has something to do with management thinking and acting like Desharnais is the guy to build around, despite the team results not being there to support it.

Souffle is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 06:54 PM
  #262
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,821
vCash: 500
Eller thread = Thread about DD to make excuses for Eller.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 06:59 PM
  #263
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
3 points in his last 27 games.

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 06:59 PM
  #264
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Imho its a question of role and line mates
Since the beginning of the season all the lines have been messed with

Re-unite the EGG line and give them a role an identity, call them the second line the checking line the havoc line or whatever else you want and you'll see a change in production and play.
Not only for Eller but all the wayward souls on this team.

If they broke up the egg line in an effort to get pacioretty and desharnais going now then can re-unite the egg line to get eller and gallagher going

AntonCH is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
  #265
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You guys need to get your facts together. One says the EGG line was the best before Gallagher was put with Pacioretty-Desharnais and the other says they didn't really stay together, which is it?

Still pathetic for people to call themselves Habs fan and bend over backwards for a guy with no points and -10 in the last 14 games and would send the guy with 26 in 34 games to the ECHL at the drop of a hat.

How many of you were blaming linemates or saying Desharnais was great defensively when he wasn't producing early on?
So your argument for misleading people about how much Eller and Gallagher is we need to get our facts straight? Maybe you should take your own advice or better yet since this isn't the first time you've made the same false claim and been called out and been shown to be wrong you should just stop.

So it's pathetic for people to defend Eller during his slump, but Desharnais's slump is something that should be be treated as if it never happened.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:07 PM
  #266
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,002
vCash: 591
He hogs the puck too much

JayKing is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
  #267
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Poor Lars. I can still remember that four goal game. It seems like a long time ago that happened.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:28 PM
  #268
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souffle View Post
It's not personal, or it shouldn't be, because it's about the team's success.

The Habs were garbage two seasons ago when Desharnais had a good year. Last season the Habs surprisingly were among the best teams, and Desharnais was just so-so if not irrelevant. This year the Habs started off well, even though Desharnais was putrid. Now the Habs are so-so if not mediocre, but Desharnais is the team's top centre.

Maybe that's all just coincidence. But I think it's more than that. They've decided to build around Desharnais, from the 4 year extension, to the ridiculous theory of signing Briere, to the line changes and icetime this season. I've seen nothing in the team's performance to make me think that's a good vision for the team.

To me, this whole debate is about Eller last year and the first part of this year representing a different potential vision for the team. With a Good Eller, I think the team is simply better than it is with Desharnais as the team's Designated Top Centre. And I also think the disappearance of Good Eller has something to do with management thinking and acting like Desharnais is the guy to build around, despite the team results not being there to support it.
Well said. Having a DD centered offensive line and 2 shutdown lines just isn't as good as a balanced top-9.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
  #269
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Well said. Having a DD centered offensive line and 2 shutdown lines just isn't as good as a balanced top-9.
Looking at how fewer goals are scored when DD is on the ice compared to Eller, maybe DD should be on a defensive line.


Sorinth, its the system, not DD that is hurting Eller this season.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
  #270
c3z4r
Registered User
 
c3z4r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Imho its a question of role and line mates
Since the beginning of the season all the lines have been messed with

Re-unite the EGG line and give them a role an identity, call them the second line the checking line the havoc line or whatever else you want and you'll see a change in production and play.
Not only for Eller but all the wayward souls on this team.

If they broke up the egg line in an effort to get pacioretty and desharnais going now then can re-unite the egg line to get eller and gallagher going
The thing is that Pacioretty has shown he can produce points with other centres, while Desharnais has never shown that he can produce at the same pace without Pacioretty. Pacioretty, unlike DD, got injured by Orr in the first game, then came back too early and injured himself again. That's the only reason he started the season so slowly, while the same can't be said about Desharnais.

c3z4r is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 07:46 PM
  #271
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Looking at how fewer goals are scored when DD is on the ice compared to Eller, maybe DD should be on a defensive line.


Sorinth, its the system, not DD that is hurting Eller this season.
it takes too much off the other two lines to bring DD to average level. Most of the PP time, the two best wingers offensively, more zone starts, etc... all that so he can produce 50 pts.

too much is asked for the result it bring... and when you play your lines that way, forcing the other 3 lines to be more defensive minded, well... you end up a grinding team with ONE scoring duo, a grinding team that doesnt have the players to play such a style...

bot more importantly, the actual structure does NOT provide wins, and yet MT refuses to change it (although he didnt mind breaking other lines when we needed to in the past).

think about it this way...

before breaking up the EGG line and putting Gallagher with DD...

Eller was on pace for 50+ pts
Galchenyuk was on pace for 50+ pts
Gallagher was on pace for 25+ goals and 50+ pts...

now, since breaking up the EGG line
DD MAY reach 50 pts
Patches is on pace for 50+ pts
Gallagher is producing at a 35 pts pace
Eller is producing at a 10 pts pace
Galchenyuk also produced less (pace harder to measure since he's injured)


you think it's worth it to keep the actual DD line together ? ? ?

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 08:07 PM
  #272
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Desharnais is playing at a 0.61 ppg pace since 2010-2011, excluding nothing.

That means he can be counted on for 50 points a year, he is a poor man's Saku Koivu.
You are kidding right. Were you even old enough to remember Saku playing with a comment like this. Saku played against the opponents top line, we didn't need home ice advantage. Saku was sent out and who cares who was out against him he was 56% on the draw and was a force offensive and defensive. Should have won a selke and didn't mostly due to having Petrov as his best winger. Yeah Oleg Petrov vs Patches? Hmmm compare that. If saku had patches he would have put up 100 points a season. DD is nothing I repeat nothing like Koivu. Embarrassing to even have this conversation.

Doc McKenna is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 08:16 PM
  #273
Lafontaine
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Eller, like Subban and Plekanec, is taking a massive step back this year,
The fact you picked out, of all players, Plekanec as having had a step back this year, pretty much disqualifies you from making valid comments on this topic.

Lafontaine is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 08:17 PM
  #274
Riggins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,280
vCash: 500
Eller is massively overrated on this board. You can't blame everything on his linemates and Therrien. He's simply not playing well right now and his vision and hockey sense are poor.

Desharnais' hockey sense in Eller's body would make for a great player.

Riggins is offline  
Old
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
  #275
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
3 points in his last 27 games.
After going 47 points in 71 games where the Habs were top 10 in the NHL in 5 on 5 play. Interestingly enough, the last 27 games coincides with the overplaying of Desharnais and the putrid demise of the 5 on 5 play resembling the 11/12 season which also had the overplaying of Desharnais and poor play from everyone else. Hmmmmm...

Also interesting to note, the forward that Murray plays the most with is Eller.

Watsatheo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.