HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Lars Eller?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Winter Eclipse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I am a Habs fan first.

I want DD and Eller to succeed equally because both of them having success means that the team is having success.
Which has nothing to do whatsoever with what I posted.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Lafontaine

There is definitely something wrong with Eller this year. When there is this great a shift in playing level, it can really only be attributed to mentality, which could be coaching or confidence, or both.

His skills didnt just disappear, but after that hit last year he doesn't have the tenacity he had and doesn't seem to have the trust in himself when he has the puck anymore.

Sadly reminds me of what happened to Zednik. Eller was briefly reaching a whole new level before a freak incident and now he seems to be reset back to average.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:26 PM
DAChampion

Should I have written in "poor" in all caps?

Am I misunderstanding the expression "poo

Old
02-04-2014, 08:28 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
The fact you picked out, of all players, Plekanec as having had a step back this year, pretty much disqualifies you from making valid comments on this topic.
Plekanec is on track for one of the worst seasons of his career.

47 points, he should be on track for ~65 points.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Lafontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Yah, on a team whose leading scorer will likely end up with about 55 points. He seems to have gotten his wheels and a bit of desire back this year. Has been on in almost every game I've watched this season, reminds me of his play a few seasons ago. Does everything for this team, plays against other teams top lines, PP, PK., and never gets to play with our best wingers. Stats mean very little in this case.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:36 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Yah, on a team whose leading scorer will likely end up with about 55 points. He seems to have gotten his wheels and a bit of desire back this year. Has been on in almost every game I've watched this season, reminds me of his play a few seasons ago. Does everything for this team, plays against other teams top lines, PP, PK., and never gets to play with our best wingers. Stats mean very little in this case.
He has been in the whole time I have followed him as a hab, nevertheless plekanec is having one of the worst seasons of his career.

The difference between a standard plekanec and a 47 point plekanec is possibly a playoff spot. Stats mean a lot.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Lafontaine

Quote:
He has been in the whole time I have followed him as a hab, nevertheless plekanec is having one of the worst seasons of his career.

The difference between a standard plekanec and a 47 point plekanec is possibly a playoff spot. Stats mean a lot.
In that case the two players everyone is flaming for their bad contracts (Gorges and Emelin) must be proving everyone wrong. Gorges is 2nd in the NHL in blocked shots and Emelin would be second in hits based on his per game average.

With stats like that, I guess we must have one of the top defensive pairings in hockey.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Riggins

vCash: 50
Nice play Larry. Better hope they kill this 5 on 3 off!

Old
02-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
It means he's taking too much defensive responsibilities to be able to produce offensively and getting the lowest PP TOI of his recent career despite always being the teams best PP forward.

Old
02-04-2014, 08:50 PM
gusfring

Quote:

Hypothetically, how many points would he have playing with legit top 6 forwards?

Old
02-04-2014, 08:53 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Hypothetically, how many points would he have playing with legit top 6 forwards?
Plekanec has twice shown that he will produce ~70 points when treated as a first line center.

He did this with Kovalev, Kostitsyn, Cammalleri, spare parts.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
There is definitely something wrong with Eller this year. When there is this great a shift in playing level, it can really only be attributed to mentality, which could be coaching or confidence, or both.

His skills didnt just disappear, but after that hit last year he doesn't have the tenacity he had and doesn't seem to have the trust in himself when he has the puck anymore.

Sadly reminds me of what happened to Zednik. Eller was briefly reaching a whole new level before a freak incident and now he seems to be reset back to average.
He was fine at the beginning of this year, in fact better than ever, then our entertaining chef again showed he doesn't like eller and gave him scrubs and moved him everywhere including the wing. Having a vote of confidence is very helpful. MT never liked him and said so. When you get stripped of your line, when you are on fire, then for a long long stretch get no help and more 4th liners, you have to wonder what you did wrong. Hard to do it by yourself unless you are very gifted.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:25 PM
LyricalLyricist

I fear Eller will get more **** than necessary here. Not sure why there's this many posts about him so soon.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:31 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I fear Eller will get more **** than necessary here. Not sure why there's this many posts about him so soon.
Look above, and you'll see quickly notice that a very impressive chunk of the posts do not primarily relate to Lars Eller.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
And yet just last page you were saying this thread was all about making excuses for Eller!

Old
02-04-2014, 09:42 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
it takes too much off the other two lines to bring DD to average level. Most of the PP time, the two best wingers offensively, more zone starts, etc... all that so he can produce 50 pts.

too much is asked for the result it bring... and when you play your lines that way, forcing the other 3 lines to be more defensive minded, well... you end up a grinding team with ONE scoring duo, a grinding team that doesnt have the players to play such a style...

bot more importantly, the actual structure does NOT provide wins, and yet MT refuses to change it (although he didnt mind breaking other lines when we needed to in the past).

think about it this way...

before breaking up the EGG line and putting Gallagher with DD...

Eller was on pace for 50+ pts
Galchenyuk was on pace for 50+ pts
Gallagher was on pace for 25+ goals and 50+ pts...

now, since breaking up the EGG line
DD MAY reach 50 pts
Patches is on pace for 50+ pts
Gallagher is producing at a 35 pts pace
Eller is producing at a 10 pts pace
Galchenyuk also produced less (pace harder to measure since he's injured)

you think it's worth it to keep the actual DD line together ? ? ?
With the lack of an aggressive forecheck and a non-puck possession approach to offense, Therrien could move DD off that line or move Gallagher off that line with little difference in results.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Look above, and you'll see quickly notice that a very impressive chunk of the posts do not primarily relate to Lars Eller.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Eclipse View Post
Which has nothing to do whatsoever with what I posted.
On an Eller thread, you prefaced your post by saying "Desharnais supporters". I support DD and Eller.

Hockey is not a zero sum game. DD can score and so can Eller. DD is not playing against Eller. They are on the same team. It is silly and fanboyish to bash DD in an effort to prop up a struggling Eller.

They are both Habs. I wish them both success.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Lafontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
He was fine at the beginning of this year, in fact better than ever, then our entertaining chef again showed he doesn't like eller and gave him scrubs and moved him everywhere including the wing. Having a vote of confidence is very helpful. MT never liked him and said so. When you get stripped of your line, when you are on fire, then for a long long stretch get no help and more 4th liners, you have to wonder what you did wrong. Hard to do it by yourself unless you are very gifted.
Agreed. When did he say he didn't like him though?

Old
02-04-2014, 09:53 PM
rockjngo

Eller is such a strange player. He's polished in the defensive zone. Yes he could win the Frank J. Selke trophy, but in the offensive zone he looks a bit lost.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Agreed. When did he say he didn't like him though?
Last year at the beginning of the season right before he benched him, Wasn't "his kind of player"

Old
02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
On an Eller thread, you prefaced your post by saying "Desharnais supporters". I support DD and Eller.

Hockey is not a zero sum game. DD can score and so can Eller. DD is not playing against Eller. They are on the same team. It is silly and fanboyish to bash DD in an effort to prop up a struggling Eller.

They are both Habs. I wish them both success.

I didn't "preface" my post with a reference to Desharnais supporters; you really should know the meaning of a word before you use it

The subject of my post was Desharnais' supporters, which was in direct response to a post that explicitly referenced how the fan base loves DD.

And I love how relentlessly bashing Eller while fawning over Desharnais is now the gold standard for being a "true Habs fan". So glad we have the Desharnais Division here to hand down regulations on how to properly respond to posts and how to acceptably be a fan of the Habs

Old
02-04-2014, 10:11 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
With the lack of an aggressive forecheck and a non-puck possession approach to offense, Therrien could move DD off that line or move Gallagher off that line with little difference in results.
agressive forecheck ? Plekanec line is used as the defensive line, therefore they will not go heavy on the forecheck, the strategy by the coach is for them to defend...

sure, Eller with Bourque and Prust can forecheck harder but it still doesnt allow them to be a possession line as outside Eller there's little offensive talent on that line...

there was a line though that was solid on the forecheck while having decent possession numbers and decent defensive awareness... t'was the EGG line.

they actually had everything Habs fans like to see from the forwards, skating hard, heavy forecheck, crashing the net, backcheck hard, chemistry, good possession numbers, decent productivity...

cant have that anymore, MT decided that our 1st line would be a finesse line, and as expected 2nd and 3rd line are following the lead given by the "top players".

Old
02-04-2014, 10:15 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Eclipse View Post
And yet just last page you were saying this thread was all about making excuses for Eller!

I'm not sure why there's even a discussion about him.

He gets plenty of excuses and now criticism.

Seems like bad expectations for Eller are causing this.

He's still a very good player.

Old
02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Eller is such a strange player. He's polished in the defensive zone. Yes he could win the Frank J. Selke trophy, but in the offensive zone he looks a bit lost.
He can't with the Selke, you kidding me?

Guy is a nice player to have but I wouldn't go that far.

Plekanec has a hard time winning it, seems far fetched Eller would.

Closed Thread