HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keith Allen passed away (and related discussion); former GM and first head coach

Old
02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

vCash: 500
Keith Allen passed away (and related discussion); former GM and first head coach

Keith Allen drafted Bobby Clarke IIRC and mentored him in his early years as GM, yet no mention in any manner was made in the Organization's official statement about arguably Allen's greatest Draft Selection and the man who directly succeeded Allen as Flyers' General Manager. What goes here... I'm at a loss to explain this omission... Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Article Source: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
FLYERS MOURN THE PASSING OF KEITH ALLEN

Flyers first ever head coach passes away at the age of 90
Tuesday, 02.04.2014 / 4:26 PM / News
Philadelphia Flyers

Keith Allen, the first head coach of the Flyers who became the general manager that built the organizationís Stanley Cup championship teams of 1974 and 1975, passed away Tuesday. He was 90.

"Keith was the first coach in the history of the Philadelphia Flyers and a man for whom I have tremendous respect," said Philadelphia Flyers Chairman Ed Snider. "In my mind, he was and always will be one of the greatest General Managers in the history of hockey. He was known as 'Keith the Thief,' I never knew of a bad deal he made. This team would never have reached the level of success we have had over the past 48 years if it were not for Keith.

"Over the years he became one of my closest confidants and one of my best friends. I will never forget all of the many memories we shared together." added Snider. "I would like to extend my condolences to Keith's family, his wife Joyce, their sons, Brad and Blake, and their daughter, Traci, and their four grandchildren, Chelsea, Shay, Jillian, and Chase. He will sorely be missed by all of us."

KEITH ALLEN: 1923-2014

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-05-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Copyright rule
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Allen was named GM on December 22nd, 1969. Clarke was drafted in the 1969 draft which was held on June 11th, 1969. That's according to Wikipedia.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-04-2014 at 05:56 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Allen was named GM on December 22nd, 1969. Clarke was drafted in the 1969 draft which was held on June 11th, 1969
Thanks... that crossed my mind, but the timing didn't jive in my mind... I would have guessed Clarke being drafted later... Thanks.

While I feel better about this, I still think he should have been mentioned as Keith's successor. Just seems wrong, his not being mentioned. It is what it is though.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:02 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Thanks... that crossed my mind, but the timing didn't jive in my mind... I would have guessed Clarke being drafted later... Thanks.

While I feel better about this, I still think he should have been mentioned as Keith's successor. Just seems wrong, his not being mentioned. It is what it is though.
Considering Allen is the one who died and not Clarke, I figure they were a bit more focused on Allen.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 06:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1404
Quote:
Keith Allen drafted Bobby Clarke IIRC and mentored him in his early years as GM, yet no mention in any manner was made in the Organization's official statement about arguably Allen's greatest Draft Selection and the man who directly succeeded Allen as Flyers' General Manager. What goes here... I'm at a loss to explain this omission... Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Article Source: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home
Bud Poile was the team's first general manager. Allen was appointed assistant GM after he stopped being a head coach for the first two seasons. The person mainly given credit for recommending Clarke was a scout named Jerry Melnyk. Mr. Allen was a part of the committee at the time. Melnyk was the western Canadian scout and when Clarke was available, he had the needed guidance of Allen who then convinced Poile.

02-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

FWIW... This was Tweeted by Bobby Clarke's daughter, which seems to go along Clarke being drafted with diabetes... but I suppose it could mean that Keith supported him as the next GM:

Jody Clarke @jodylclarke
Follow
Keith Allen took a chance on my dad when nobody else would. A hockey icon and amazing human being. RIP Mr Allen. #philadelphiaflyers #thief

Old
02-04-2014, 06:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:

Clarke replaced Bob McCammon as GM who replaced Keith Allen.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Considering Allen is the one who died and not Clarke, I figure they were a bit more focused on Allen.
D'ya think?

I certainly believe that to be 100% the case... It's just that if Allen had any responsibility in Clarke's becoming a Flyer, or in Clarke's standing as a GM, then maybe they should include him in the blurb... After all, they did mention all those other players without concern about taking away from Allen's 'moment'... Just sayin'.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Clarke replaced Bob McCammon as GM who replaced Keith Allen.
Thanks, I totally forgot that one year stint... I guess then there there may have been no direct tie between Clarke and Allen... besides his being the captain and arguably best player of Keith's greatest teams. I suppose I may have read too much into Clarke's non-inclusion.

Never Mind.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 02-04-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old
02-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Well, it does look like they built a good section of the write-up on Clarke quotes.

02-04-2014, 06:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Thanks, I totally forgot that one year stint... I guess then there there may have been no direct tie between Clarke and Allen... besides his being the captain and arguably best players of Keith's greatest teams. I suppose I may have read too much into Clarke's non-inclusion.

Never Mind.
Eventually there will be quotes from Clarke somewhere. I think he was ill last week when some of the players from the 70s reunited.

This was Mr. Allen about a year ago with Joe Watson:

http://media.philly.com/images/600*4...allen26z-b.JPG

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-04-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old
02-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, it does look like they built a good section of the write-up on Clarke quotes.
That I believe was added after I made the OP... although I can't prove it, since someone on here with power -- whose name will not be mentioned ((coughcoughMiamiScreamingEaglescoughcough)) -- edited those sections out to keep my arse out of Copyright-Jail.

Old
02-04-2014, 07:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
That I believe was added after I made the OP... although I can't prove it, since someone on here with power -- whose name will not be mentioned ((coughcoughMiamiScreamingEaglescoughcough)) -- edited those sections out to keep my arse out of Copyright-Jail.
Someone else must have done so earlier. I changed the title to add Keith Allen's name in the subject.

Old
02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

It was me

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Someone else must have done so earlier. I changed the title to add Keith Allen's name in the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It was me
Aaah-HA! I've been tag teamed by Chief Jay Strongbow and Brutus Beefcake.

Here is editing note that threw me off, MSE: "Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles; Today at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Copyright rule"

FWIW: I did consider truncating the article... and didn't mention Keith's name for fear running too long in the title. I knew I could count on you guys to keep me honest.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here is the updated article with quotes from Clarke (though Jay G. used the word succeeded):

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
Andre Dupont was sent away to his native Quebec and the Nordiques after a Flyer run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1980 with a sincere thanks reflected in the parachute of a new contract. When it was time for a player to move on, nobody who ever ran an NHL franchise ever recognized it with more skill, daring, dignity and kindness than Allen.

“Keith was a unique man,” said Bob Clarke Tuesday about the GM he succeeded in 1983. “Behind all that strength, he had a grandfather’s kind of gentleness.

“To have him around when I [came straight from the ice to the chair] was not only a necessity, but a great comfort. In addition to an obvious wisdom and experience there was a generosity in sharing with me and ease to him when I asked for his input.

“In a time when teams were bleeping on their players and taking credit for it, the Flyers weren’t like that. A lot of that had to do with Mr. Snider, too, but I can’t think of one guy whom Keith ever traded away who disliked him. They all came back and spent their summers here and visited with him, never seemed to hold a grudge.

“That’s a pretty hard thing to do when you are running a hockey team and have to make miserable decisions.”

Old
02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Phunhog

Why doesn't the passing of arguably the best GM in team history have it's own thread
. Just curious. RIP Mr. Allen.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Why doesn't the passing of arguably the best GM in team history have it's own thread
. Just curious. RIP Mr. Allen.
I assumed that one would be created... so I started this one to address my related question, and it kinda sorta morphed into one.

Why don't you create one?

... And, btw, IMO (along with Mr' Snider's) he was one of the best GMs in all of NHL History.

Old
02-05-2014, 09:18 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Since the original question has been answered, we can concentrate on his passing and legacy here.

Sam Carchidi did a story in today's Philadelphia Inquirer which relates to the photo I posted yesterday:

Quote:
Allen was 89 and his memory was fading quickly when I met him at his residence during the NHL lockout before last season. Former Flyer Joe Watson introduced me to Allen at the Sunrise Senior Living facility in Newtown Square.

We shook hands, and I immediately felt I was in a death grip. Allen, wearing a red Santa hat with “Flyers” spelled in sparkles, did the same thing to Watson.

“You’re trying to break my hand!” Watson bellowed.

“No I’m not,” replied Allen, smiling sheepishly.
While he was still strong physically and still exercising, Allen was battling dementia and having a difficult time remembering the glory days he helped create as the Flyers’ general manager.

Quote:
The players who paid a visit that day included Bobby Clarke, Jim Watson, Bill Clement, Gary Dornhoefer, Bob Kelly, Don Saleski, Orest Kindrachuk and Bob Dailey.

"They all crowded into the TV room and told old war stories," Blake Allen said. "After they had left, I asked Dad, 'Was it fun seeing those guys again?' "

"Let’s do that more!" Keith Allen said, according to his son. "Let’s do that every week!”
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...mUjGLG63Cb8.99
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Keith Allen, the general manager who built the Philadelphia Flyers' two Stanley Cup teams in the 1970s, died Tuesday at age 90.

Allen is best remembered as the architect of the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers teams that won the Stanley Cup in 1974 and 1975. His drafts brought in franchise stalwarts like fellow Hall of Fame member Bill Barber, Rick MacLeish, Bob Kelly and Bill Clement, and earned the nickname of "Keith the Thief" for trades that brought in goaltender Bernie Parent, defenseman Barry Ashbee and forwards Reggie Leach, Terry Crisp and Andre Dupont.

He also hired Fred Shero to coach the Flyers in 1971, and gave Pat Quinn his first NHL coaching job, with the 1978-79 Flyers.

"Keith Allen always found a way to bring exceptional talent to Broad Street and weave it into the fabric of a team that would succeed and endure at the highest level, because in Philadelphia, for his Flyers and their fans, no other level was acceptable," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.

"The National Hockey League sends heartfelt condolences to Keith's family, to his friends and to the Flyers organization, which has lost one of its patriarchs."

Allen joined the Flyers as the team's initial coach for the 1967-68 season after 13 seasons as a coach in the Western Hockey League. The Flyers went 31-32-11 in their first season to win the West Division, which was stocked with the League's six expansion teams.

After two seasons as coach Allen moved into the front office for the 1969-70 season, and replaced Bud Poile as general manager on Dec. 22, 1969. He held that title for 14 seasons. Along the way the Flyers made the playoffs 12 times, won six division titles and advanced to the Stanley Cup Final four times, including three straight years (1974-76). He retired after the 1982-83 season; the Flyers went 563-322-194 (.612 winning percentage) during his tenure.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703682
-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
“Keith was the first coach in the history of the Philadelphia Flyers and a man for whom I have tremendous respect,” Flyers chairman Ed Snider said in a press release. “In my mind, he was and always will be one of the greatest general managers in the history of hockey. He was known as ‘Keith the Thief,’ I never knew of a bad deal he made. This team would never have reached the level of success we have had over the past 48 years if it were not for Keith.”

Allen was the Flyers’ general manager from December 22, 1969 to May 27, 1983.

Allen is responsible for drafting the likes of Bill Barber, Bill Clement, Ron Hextall, Paul Holmgren, Bob Kelly, Pelle Lindbergh and Jimmy Watson.

He also coached the Flyers to a West Division title in their inaugural season of 1967-68. In his two seasons as coach of the team, he had a 51-67-32 record.

In September of 1992, Allen was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the “builders” category, joining Flyers chairman Ed Snider. The Hockey News named him NHL executive of the year in the 1979-80 season.
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...th-allen-dies/

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-05-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old
02-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
FWIW... This was Tweeted by Bobby Clarke's daughter, which seems to go along Clarke being drafted with diabetes... but I suppose it could mean that Keith supported him as the next GM:

Jody Clarke @jodylclarke
Follow
Keith Allen took a chance on my dad when nobody else would. A hockey icon and amazing human being. RIP Mr Allen. #philadelphiaflyers #thief

Well stated. RIP Keith the Thief.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

From the great Scoop Cooper:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=57781

Last edited by Sawdalite: 02-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.