HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who do you associate Red Kelly with more?

Old
02-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Ret
Allegedly Boychuk

vCash: 500
Who do you associate Red Kelly with more?

I was in a debate with a friend about this one. Would you associate him more with the Red Wings or Leafs?

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Uncle Rotter

With Pyramid Power

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
With Pyramid Power
... yep. That too really. As a Coach. But as a player, and I grew up watching him as a Leaf with no recollection of him in a Red Wings uniform, I for some strange reason do think of him in red & white & not blue & white. Ive read up on Red Kelly, his life & career, time at St.Mikes in Toronto & so on, seemed a natural for the Leafs however they passed on him, Detroits gain Toronto's big loss. So I think of him in his prime as an All Star Defenseman with those great Red Wing teams of the 50's first & foremost... secondarily as a Leaf & his second career as a Defensive Center, Member of Parliament, proponent of the Helmet.... then his 3rd incarnation, returning to Toronto as Coach & a damn good one he was. Shame he just like everyone before & after had to suffer through the insufferable with Harold Ballard second guessing their every move, dissing them publicly after a loss, heck, even wins sometimes.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:07 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

His parents. I remember watching a show on CBC and he was being interviewed by June ? (can't recall her name) and Red was asked about who he missed the most and he said his parents. This interview revealed the man Red Kelly, not just the hockey player. True gentleman.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
His parents. I remember watching a show on CBC and he was being interviewed by June ? (can't recall her name) and Red was asked about who he missed the most and he said his parents. This interview revealed the man Red Kelly, not just the hockey player. True gentleman.
I'll bet your thinking of June Callwood, a long time journalist & reporter with the Globe & Mail, CBC etc, and who was married to noted Canadian sports journalist Trent Frayne. In 1954/55 they had a 15 minute "Sports Talk Show" that aired just prior to the CBC News. On that show, they interviewed various sport celebrities & likely Red included, or, perhaps later when she sometimes was on Front Page Challenge, later still sometimes as guest host of CBC Radio's As It Happens. Other shows in the 80's, early 90's perhaps but yes, well known TV, Radio & Print journalist...

Old
02-16-2014, 06:35 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Yes, June Callwood! The interview was more recent though. Maybe late 90's early 00's. I think her show was an hour in length.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ She was active up until the early 00's, maybe that show called The Canadians circa late 90's. Cant find any links on youtube, archived.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:02 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I associate him more with the Red Wings. His prime as a hockey player was clearly with that team - for a brief period of time, there was a strong minority opinion that he was in the same class of player as Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard, and that was all with Detroit.

Due to a very messy breakup with the Wings, Kelly himself associates much more with the Leafs.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Due to a very messy breakup with the Wings, Kelly himself associates much more with the Leafs.
Yep. The Wings tried to trade him & Billy McMillan to New York for Bill Gadsby & Eddie Shack, but both Kelly & McMillan refused to report. Kelly vowing to retire instead. However the Leafs came calling and somehow despite his not liking to play at Maple Leaf Gardens managed to convince him, they also convincing Detroit to accept Marc Reaume in exchange for Kelly, done deal. I doubt it, but I guess its also possible that Kelly mightve had some lingering resentments towards the Leafs organization over Scout Squib Walkers assertions back in the 40's when Kelly was at St.Mikes that he wouldnt last 20 games in the NHL. Red unlike a lot of his team mates at St.Mikes wasnt there on a Leafs Scholarship. Wasnt given the same respect really as those who were yet as history has shown, a far superior player be it Defenceman or Forward.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Sorta unrelated, but how could one be an active NHL player and serve in Parliament at the same time?

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Big Phil

I am a Leaf fan, so I am going to choose the obvious one..............the Red Wings.

Look he won 4 Cups on each team, but he played less than 7 years as a Leaf and 13 as a Red Wing, not to mention distinguishing himself as one of the finest at his position in Detroit. He was more prominent in the Red Wings dynasty than the Leafs dynasty.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordski View Post
Sorta unrelated, but how could one be an active NHL player and serve in Parliament at the same time?
Ya, thats interesting isnt it? After Kelly was traded to Toronto he was put up at the Westbury Hotel at first & ran into a Liberal Powerbroker by the name of Keith Davey. They got to talking, asked if Red would ever consider running for Parliament as they were also working on joint Maple Leaf community projects & so he said sure. Got permission from Imlach & the powers that be at the Gardens, just dont miss practices, games, Training Camps, and if it interferes you'll have to quit hockey or politics.

So he ran as a Liberal in York West in a by-election in 62 & won, then the next year in a full election he ran again, and his opponent was none other than R. Alan Eagleson who was running for the Conservatives. Beat him of course, elected to a 4yr term that expired in 65. While this was going on, the Leafs were winning Stanley Cups and wife gave birth to 3 children. Between the travel to & from Ottawa & elsewhere around the country, the practices & games, the Cups, Parades etc etc etc, a beyond hectic time in his life to say the least.

The Liberals under Pearson at this time were engaged in a campaign to change the Canadian Flag from the Red Ensign later adopted by Ontario to the red maple leaf. There was a lot of blowback on that one, and leading the charge in Toronto was Conn Smythe. He'd stepped back from the Leafs by then, selling his interests to his Son Stafford in 61 after handing over the reigns in the late 50's. He had retained an office at the Gardens and did get in Kellys face over the flag & other issues however according to Red Kelly was always a Gentleman about it.... there have been other players in politics in Canada. Charlie Conacher, Howie Meeker, Frank Mahovlich etc. Believe the only thing Kelly missed was the 64 Training Camp, and he did have some close calls in making to games on-time, often arriving last minute.