HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings looking at Markov

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Which ones were for PMD Defensemen?

Which ones actually turned out well for the buying team?
That's also key here. In the last few years, deadline rentals all turned out pretty meh. GMs do have that in mind right now, for sure.

That can create a sort of cascade effect, because if no one dares to go all in first, the other GMs will notice and rather stay put as well.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:20 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

Quote:
Woooo. Take a chill pill, PB.

Bergevin HASNT DONE ANYTHING about Markov yet. Why hate him over something that is just a RUMOR at this point?!
ARGH

Old
02-04-2014, 02:20 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The pot can only get sweeter as we get closer to the deadline. I can't see a move being done unless the habs get a d-man/prospect back with 1st pairing potential. I mean, guys like markov dont grow on trees, and the habs may have to wait many years before they find a player of his ilk again.
Exactly. There are ZERO players that go UFA these days. We should sell VERY high. Doughty and Markov on the PP would be amazing.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHabs View Post

Andrei Markov - 50%
Brandon Prust

Matt Greene
Jordan Nolan
Dwight King
Pick
No, just no. Rather get 1st round picks or prospects than grinders for Markov even if LA is high in the standings.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:23 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Markov is another thing completely. Bergevin would, logically, ask for a very good return to move him. This guy is still extremely useful to us short- or mid-term (next 2-3 years).
And what if Markov wants a five year deal? What do you do then? Anybody think that Markov WON'T get a five year, $25 million offer from some lunatic GM on July 1st?

Markov fired Don Meahan at the beginning of the year and is negotiating himself, or with the help of his Russian agent. Meahan is largely viewed as a moderate, reasonable, honorable man, in a field that is largely devoid of all of the above. That makes Markov a wildcard. Bergevin has been negotiating with him since early January, and while we don't know what terms are being discussed, we also don't know that Markov won't go back on his word the day after the deadline and suddenly demand the moon because he has all the leverage. We think he won't, but then we all thought Shayne Corson wanted to stay with us too.

What would be a "fair" offer to Markov? Three years, $15 million? See the offer from the hypothetical lunatic above. That's a TEN MILLION DOLLAR difference. That's a lot of money even for a professional athlete. Bergevin may not have a choice but to trade him.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
A 1st round pick in 2014 or 2015 should be at the start of any negotiation between the two teams.

Then you add at least one player who can play regular on our top-nine forwards or top-four d-men.

King or Muzzin should be part of this potential deal.
Muzzin would be a secondary piece. King I don't see much value there, fringe player. He's struggled to produce with Kopitar and Richards.

Quote:

Andrei Markov - 50%
Brandon Prust

Matt Greene
Jordan Nolan
Dwight King
Pick
Why the hell would we do that? Greene is useless right now. That would be a horrible trade, no real good assets.

Quote:
Which ones were for PMD Defensemen?

Which ones actually turned out well for the buying team?
Bouwmeester, Kaberle, Oduya, Zidlicky off the top of my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
No way the Kings give up Toffoli. They can't score as it is. We'd have a better shot at getting Brown and his overinflated contract (he can start roiding again after the Olympics and be the player he was). He'd be amazing next to Plekanec.
Toffoli went 12 games without scoring and was sent to the AHL, he's not even on their roster.

Maybe he is untoucheable but that had no impact on here and now.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:26 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
And what if Markov wants a five year deal? What do you do then? Anybody think that Markov WON'T get a five year, $25 million offer from some lunatic GM on July 1st?

Markov fired Don Meahan at the beginning of the year and is negotiating himself, or with the help of his Russian agent. Meahan is largely viewed as a moderate, reasonable, honorable man, in a field that is largely devoid of all of the above. That makes Markov a wildcard. Bergevin has been negotiating with him since early January, and while we don't know what terms are being discussed, we also don't know that Markov won't got back on his word the day after the deadline and suddenly demand the moon because he has all the leverage.

What would be a "fair" offer to Markov? Three years, $15 million? See the offer from the hypothetical lunatic above. That's a TEN MILLION DOLLAR difference. That's a lot of money even for a professional athlete. Bergevin may not have a choice but to trade him.
He's not going to be taking a paycut, that's for sure. More like $6m per. Especially with the numbers he's put up.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:28 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Toffoli went 12 games without scoring and was sent to the AHL, he's not even on their roster.

Maybe he is untoucheable but that had no impact on here and now.
They are trying to work him in with Kopitar and Carter now and they are looking good. They are definitely high on him.

Old
rockjngo

Just want to point out that LA Kings currently does not have the cap space to take on Markov. At the deadline however they will have $2.5 mil cap room. Moving Clifford would free up $1 million extra. In the summer losing a 37 year old Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene and resigning Markov at $5 million could be an option for them.

Old
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
No, just no. Rather get 1st round picks or prospects than grinders for Markov even if LA is high in the standings.
I know, it was a joke post.

I stated in a reply,

I know Markov could get us a 1st and a great prospect. Especially if Murray could get 2 2nd round picks.

So I loaded up a deal with 3rd and 4th liners and bottom pairing dman for our top dman and fan favorite grit guy. According to other fan bases we need to focus on that type of deal or keep dreaming for a 1st and a prospect for a supposedly "done" dman.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:30 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Agreed that there's no way Markov fetches us Toffoli. He's by far their best forward prospect.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:31 PM
JohnLennon

Well, we've got two scouts at the Sabres-Oilers game today (Rick Dudley and Vaugh Karpan).

19 NHL scouts at the game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BflW78LIcAArHTZ.jpg

Old
02-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Just want to point out that LA Kings currently does not have the cap space to take on Markov. At the deadline however they will have $2.5 mil cap room. Moving Clifford would free up $1 million extra. In the summer losing a 37 year old Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene and resigning Markov at $5 million could be an option for them.
We woudl just keep a bit of salary to help the trade

Old
02-04-2014, 02:32 PM
tinyzombies

LA is not the only team that needs dmen..

Old
02-04-2014, 02:32 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to WhatJustHappened
Quote:
Why would it diminish? Players' value goes up closer to the deadline.
Ya why would it? Not like Markov is in his prime.
Keep him because next year he'll break out.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:33 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Well, we've got two scouts at the Sabres-Oilers game today (Rick Dudley and Vaugh Karpan).

Markov for Ville Leino.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post

Markov fired Don Meahan at the beginning of the year and is negotiating himself, or with the help of his Russian agent. Meahan is largely viewed as a moderate, reasonable, honorable man, in a field that is largely devoid of all of the above. That makes Markov a wildcard. Bergevin has been negotiating with him since early January, and while we don't know what terms are being discussed, we also don't know that Markov won't go back on his word the day after the deadline and suddenly demand the moon because he has all the leverage. We think he won't, but then we all thought Shayne Corson wanted to stay with us too.

I would expect he wants around 5.5-6 mil over 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
That's also key here. In the last few years, deadline rentals all turned out pretty meh. GMs do have that in mind right now, for sure.

That can create a sort of cascade effect, because if no one dares to go all in first, the other GMs will notice and rather stay put as well.
Zidlicky and Bouwmeester are still there. Kaberle helped Boston win a cup.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
Agreed that there's no way Markov fetches us Toffoli. He's by far their best forward prospect.
I don't know that we can't get him, just that it wouldn't be as easy. He has a nose for the net and real upside.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
Lol I know. It's not really any help, just figured I'd put it there considering most people are saying from other fan bases that Markov isn't worth as much as we think.

So I put all bottom pairing and 3rd and 4th liners. That's they way they're talking so this is what we get lol.

I know we should get a 1st and great prospect but supposedly Habs fans need to keep dreaming according to others.
Markov has always been an underrated player on this board. Quite honestly, if markov played in florida, and I didn't see him much, the injury history would be a big red flag for me, and I would not know exactly how good he is either.

But dont worry, scouts around the league are much smarter as a whole when it comes to assessing players than people on this board. They know what he can do.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
tinyzombies

If we trade Markov does this mean we are rebuilding and cannot make any meaningful trades or UFA signings?

Old
02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Ya why would it? Not like Markov is in his prime.
Keep him because next year he'll break out.
I was talking about his value this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
If you can't get Toffoli, keep him or trade him elsewhere. No point in moving him to add a bunch of B prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
They are trying to work him in with Kopitar and Carter now and they are looking good. They are definitely high on him.
I have seen him 4-5 times and he looks like Dustin Penner, big, slow and soft.

Old
rockjngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post

Notice Dudley is sitting next to a san jose scout? lol that doesn't mean anything.

Old
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Bouwmeester, Kaberle, Oduya, Zidlicky off the top of my head...
Let's take a look..

- Bouwmeester: The Blues did not had a glorious cup run with him. 1 point in 6 games..

- Karberle: I don't think anyone in Boston can say he was worth it

- Odyua: Actually damn good acquisition for Chicago. 2nd and 3rd round pick. Woah, they paid CHEAAAAP

- Zidlicky: Not actual trade deadline; was traded 24th Feb

Old
02-04-2014, 02:39 PM
poytri

Clifford, Pearson and a first. Yes please!

http://i.imgur.com/6Tgk45w.gif

Let's hope others gm overpay for him at the deadline although I would be pretty satisfied with this offer.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Nooooooooo! I want Markov to retire as a Hab!

I ****ing hate Bergevin.
He needs to put his name out there and see what's available. Possibly even build a bidding war. I like Markov just as much as anyone, but right now even if we extend him 2 years I don't see us competing for the Cup in that time frame. Depending on the return, we have to consider this big time

Closed Thread