HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

positioning during point shot

Old
04-16-2014, 07:46 PM
rh71

vCash: 500
positioning during point shot

Need some positioning advice in general. Whether as a winger or as a center, I find myself trying to screen the goalie when our point-men are passed the puck. I'm not a huge guy, but the opposition D-men in beer leagues don't necessarily hack and whack so bad that I wouldn't want to be there. But is this the right play? As a winger, if I go to the net, it closes off a passing option to my wing and basically forces a D-to-D pass or a shot with traffic in front - not always the best play. As a center, I may be trapped behind the play should the puck get blocked in front of me.

I'm also terrible at retrieving the puck behind the net if I'm trying to screen the goalie with possibly an opposition D between me and the goalie. Another reason I'm wondering if I should even be there.

I see in the NHL big-body players collect garbage chip-in goals by standing directly in the goalie's face. Then there are garbage goals that someone like Crosby scores standing at the side of the net instead. I feel like rebounds hardly ever just drop dead to the side there at our level.

What's the right or better play for either position? Last night I found myself in front of the goalie with point shots coming so often but was never able to do anything to actually "get in the play". Pucks were either sent wide or the goalie gobbled it up with no rebound. Deflections don't come easily, obviously.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Pacifist Goon

I'm no expert, but an ugly goal banged in from a rebound by someone screening the goalie counts just the same on the scoreboard as someone scoring going end to end and turning the opposition inside out.

I'm always going to the front of the net and getting in the road of the goalie, because it makes the goalies job harder in terms of being screened, distracts the opposing defence away from the play and towards me and it creates chances and space for team mates that they might not otherwise get when you're drawing a lot of attention.

You've got to play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses where you can. What your strengths are should determine where you're looking to be.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:32 PM
JulianHopper*

If you want to go to the front of the net then you go if there isn't already someone there.

The shots will be coming as you're saying. You're doing your job just being there, you'll get a deflection or a rebound. You can also work on getting better position and deflect point shots with your stick.

You also have to read the play and be able to get back in your other position if your team is in trouble and needs to pass it to you.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Maccas

Get your rear end right in the goalies face, so much so that he can smell what you had for lunch!
We have a lad on my team who probably hasn't scored from outside about 4ft from the goal and he has put up more points than the majority of the team!
Are you big/strong enough to hold your own if there is pushing and shoving? I've only got a small frame so when I do play wing or centre I tend to float in and out of the crease quite a lot rather than getting tangled up with the D men, this normally leads to the Crosby like chances (Not that I am even close to finishing them 1/10th as well!). As has been said it's best to just play to your strengths.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote