HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Next year: Wingers

Old
02-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Next year: Wingers

This position to me has been the main weakness on the team this year, after Pacioretty, it drops off pretty quick to Bourque-Biere-Bournival-Prust as #4-5-6-7 wingers.

I was looking at Toronto's cap situation, it's unlikely they re-sign Raymond and Kulemin given that they pay 4 wingers above 4.25 mil/year already and have other holes to fill.

Both guys would be solid additions on a 2nd or 3rd line, assuming we still want 3 offensive lines. Raymond is on a 1 year 1 mil deal, I think he would probably cost 2-3 years and 2.5-3 mil. He is currently on a 47 point pace and his career high before this year was 53 points. He's a legit 20 goal 45 point depth winger. With the guys on the way 2-3 years would be ideal.

Kulemin is more of a 2 way guy with size, his offense is hard to figure out, putting up 57 points and 30 goals in 10-11 but beyond that his best has been 36 points in 09-10. He is currently on a 29 point pace. Might be a 1 year "prove it" type contract for 1.75-2 mil or 2 years at 4.5-5 mil.

Boyes and Vrbata could be a couple other "under the radar" guys that wouldn't break the bank. Parenteau of Colorado they are trying to move his contract, at 1 mil retained he would be a pretty good addition, only 2 years left.

With Bozon, Hudon, Andrighetto, Gregoire, DLR, Lehkonen, McCarron, Collberg on the way it might be best to not sign a UFA at big money over 4-5-6 years, it's best to go 2-3 years. Center Plekanec Desharnais Eller and Galchenyuk are already in place. On the wings it's open after Pacioretty and Gallagher if Galchenyuk moves to center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 06:27 AM
MXD

Plekanec/Galchenyuk/Desharnais/Eller won't be the centerline next season.

One of them will play wing, and we can already say it won't be Tomas Plekanec.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Plekanec/Galchenyuk/Desharnais/Eller won't be the centerline next season.

One of them will play wing, and we can already say it won't be Tomas Plekanec.
At this point Eller would be the best option, play him LW with Galchenyuk and Briere on a 3rd line.

Old
02-05-2014, 06:36 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
At this point Eller would be the best option, play him LW with Galchenyuk and Briere on a 3rd line.
I think it has amply been shown that Lars Eller is a terrible winger and a particularly terrible left winger.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 06:40 AM
AmeriHab

Toffoli. Sorry Markov... Dreaming.

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I think it has amply been shown that Lars Eller is a terrible winger and a particularly terrible left winger.
He's useless at center right now.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Dagistitsyn

Trade Markov + for Toffoli. Sign AK 1 year 2.5. Andrighetto makes the team. ( Also I think Galchenyuk will still end up top 6 LW. )

If we can get rid of Bourque, then I would try to get Chris Stewart somehow.

More than likely what will happen though : Gionta gets resigned, Thomas stays with the team. Clifford gets added..

Last edited by Dagistitsyn: 02-05-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:49 AM
odishabs

I see one center leaving, Probably Eller or DD. However, if not Eller will be moved to the wing.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Eller - Plekanec - Downie/Stewart/Callahan

Prust - Galchenyuk - Briere

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
He's useless at center right now.
He may not be scoring. But I wouldn't say he's useless at center...
So basically, we'd be putting a guy who only plays good at center. In order to reignite him, we'll put him on the wing, where he's even worse? I get it, he isn't doing well. However putting him at the wing just isn't the way, especially considering he hasn't had decent wingers in a while and won't have a decent center if he's sent to LW. (I'm assuming Galchenyuk is put with Pleks and Gio)

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:14 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Vanek will be very expensive and for a long time but he is the type of high end winger we need to sign. Kind of a risky move, but unless one of our prospect magically gem out, we're screwed at the wing, where we need another elite scorer than Pacioretty. Vanek is big, his specialty is to play right in front of the net, and he has a wicked shot. He may lack acceleration explosivness speed, but so does Galchenyuk. Vanek or nothing ! Don't trade for him, just sign him in the summer.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:16 AM
gusfring

Vanek will end up in Minny - forget about him.

Also, it's becoming more and more clear that Eller is not a top 6 forward. Looks like an average #3 C right now.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:17 AM
ChoseLa

The Olympic break will do wonders for Eller. Sleepover at docteur Guimond's.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Vanek will end up in Minny - forget about him.

Also, it's becoming more and more clear that Eller is not a top 6 forward. Looks like an average #3 C right now.
I don't see Minnesota throwing big money at Vanek. Their team and cap structure would be screwed.

If they spend on a UFA it will probably be a d-man. Adding a 7.5-8 mil UFA means they have too much invested in 5-6 players.

Old
02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Everybody and their dog knows that Desharnais is the one who needs to move to the wing.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Toastman

Vanek just turned down a substantial contract from the Islanders. Any interest in trading for him at the deadline?? He is UFA this July 1st.

I know, I know, it's a huge risk if he doesn't resign, but one of these days me need to take a risk ! He's exactly what we need, a big (6'2) goal scoring winger. Plus, the Islanders are desperate to trade him since he turned down that contract, so I would imagine the asking price wouldn't be as high.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Vanek just turned down a substantial contract from the Islanders. Any interest in trading for him at the deadline?? He is UFA this July 1st.

I know, I know, it's a huge risk if he doesn't resign, but one of these days me need to take a risk ! He's exactly what we need, a big (6'2) goal scoring winger. Plus, the Islanders are desperate to trade him since he turned down that contract, so I would imagine the asking price wouldn't be as high.
Nearly everyone feels he's going to Minnesota in the off-season. Vanek has a house there and his wife's from there too. So the chances are big that he ends up there. I'm not willing to overpay for a top-notch forward just to have him leave soon after, not in our situation.

Old
02-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Everybody and their dog knows that Desharnais is the one who needs to move to the wing.
Desharnais is the best playmaker on the team, would be ridiculous to move him to wing. I guess on here common sense takes a vacation.

Old
02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Nearly everyone feels he's going to Minnesota in the off-season. Vanek has a house there and his wife's from there too. So the chances are big that he ends up there. I'm not willing to overpay for a top-notch forward just to have him leave soon after, not in our situation.
Very few guys play "at home". Lecavalier didn't want to go to Montreal. Cammalleri didn't want to go to Toronto. Lots of athletes would rather play somewhere else and not be in the spotlight all off season. Plus he's probably have to leave a ton of cash on the table.

He will follow the money, I don't see Minny signing another mega deal with Parise Koivu and Suter on the books. At some point you need a 3rd line and a 2nd pair.

Old
02-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Desharnais is the best playmaker on the team, would be ridiculous to move him to wing. I guess on here common sense takes a vacation.
It's common knowledge Eller can't play on the wing. I bet Eller could do just as well if not better than DD if only he had Pacioretty and Gallagher as wingers. Too bad the Dane wasn't given countless 2nd chances like DD did. Besides, DD might currently play/look like our best playmaker, but he still isn't good enough to justify your argument of keeping him center. The Pac-DD-Gall line isn't doing well.

Btw, Plekanec is our best center.

Quote:
Very few guys play "at home". Lecavalier didn't want to go to Montreal. Cammalleri didn't want to go to Toronto. Lots of athletes would rather play somewhere else and not be in the spotlight all off season. Plus he's probably have to leave a ton of cash on the table.

He will follow the money, I don't see Minny signing another mega deal with Parise Koivu and Suter on the books. At some point you need a 3rd line and a 2nd pair.
True, many players will go for most money. But some are willing to take a good amount of money and be on a greater team. Seems like Vanek may want less in order to join his desired team. No idea how much less.
http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/423949

Last edited by Habskrieg: 02-05-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old
02-05-2014, 10:53 AM
HabsFan76

Quote:
Moving Desharnais to wing would be for the best interest of the team. Increased offensive opportunities for Plekanec and Eller which they are in dire need of to break out of their slumps. Also this will allow Galchenyuk to play at center which is his natural position and where he is most effective. Desharnais's playmaking abilities can be utilized on the wings just as effectively since all he does is either pass to Pacioretty or to the point.

HabsFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:55 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Galchenyuk is a better playmaker than DD. People are mad at DD because of Eller... not me, I always thought he lacked vision and creativity. Check my history, last year I wanted to trade Eller for a draft pick to draft Nichushkin, the year before I thought we should trade Eller for Kadri who was unhappy in the AHL, and this year I wish Bergevin would package him with prospects for Yakupov. However, I'm "pissed" of at DD for "stealing" Galchenyuk's PP time and proeminent role on the team, even thought I understand Chucky needs to steal his own chair. When I see Plekanec at center, I see all that ice, and all the amazing stuff he can do with all that space to feed his wingers. I just wish Galchenyuk played center with more ice-time and better wingers and that's why I'm a little crancky at DD...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Do you see my post in the Desharnais thread....he's getting assist without even making any play. 3 of those assist vids are in my post....i can also show 4 assists resulting from winning a face-off.

You know that only Pacioretty, Gallagher, Subban, Markov and Bourque are the only players to have scored with an assist from DD.....i guess our REAL BEST PLAYERS would be totally lost with DD's incredible playmaking abilities...

Galchenyuk is our best playmaker, he's 10 times Desharnais.....and i think Brière showed much more creativity than Desharnais ever was..

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Milhouse40

Gallagher, Pacioretty
Bournival, Briere
Moen, Prust
Weise

Missing two wingers in my book....
I look at one prospect to take a spot (Collberg, Andrighetto, Thomas, Leblanc)
I look at one UFA signing or a center (mostly Galchenyuk) to take the other spot

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:10 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Maybe we should consider De La Rose and/or Andrighetto for our top 9 next year.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:14 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierPsyCHiatrist View Post
Maybe we should consider De La Rose and/or Andrighetto for our top 9 next year.
Both need at least 1 year in Hamilton. I wanna see both burn the AHL.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote