HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
2 summers ago, the consensus on nhl radio on xm was that Stewart was going to lead the nhl in goal scoring. He was a lock for 40 and had a legit shot at 50

That was the argument, how much he would lead the league in goal scoring by. The experts on xm were unanimous in their praise of him.
Well I don't really know who these experts were on xm radio or what makes them the be-all and end-all of determining players' potential, but I don't really care about what he's supposed to be in some panel's eyes'. I care about what he is now, which is a streaky power forward capable of scoring 25 goals a season, give or take 5. There's a reason Lucic got paid, Clowe got paid, and Clarkson got paid. It's a valuable commodity that few teams have but every team wants. The Oilers downfall is their lack of variety in their top 6. You need those big players to compliment the small, skilled ones.
Everybody that was calling for Clarkson last offseason should be all for getting Stewart.

Old
02-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Well I don't really know who these experts were on xm radio or what makes them the be-all and end-all of determining players' potential, but I don't really care about what he's supposed to be in some panel's eyes'. I care about what he is now, which is a streaky power forward capable of scoring 25 goals a season, give or take 5. There's a reason Lucic got paid, Clowe got paid, and Clarkson got paid. It's a valuable commodity that few teams have but every team wants. The Oilers downfall is their lack of variety in their top 6. You need those big players to compliment the small, skilled ones.
Everybody that was calling for Clarkson last offseason should be all for getting Stewart.
Clarkson plays a bit different game he's a little tougher and plays a little chippier. In games where either one is having an off game I think Clarkson does more to involve himself in the play. Stewart though is the far superior talent and he is actually a surprisingly good fighter.

I was pretty much leading the parade against trying to acquire him last off-season, I just felt he was playing a bit over his head in the shortened season and wouldn't keep it up. Now that he has taken a step back down more in line with his career norm, it would be a great time to acquire him, Blues have a great team and they need to ensure they keep the core of their team together and can't have many players who aren't carrying their weight from a payroll perspective.

Old
02-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Bergeron47

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=443384

Leo Komarov wants back in the NHL. Anyone see him play? I don't think I have.
Apparently he's a chippy bottom-6 pest.

Old
02-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:

Komarov would be an awesome signing. I just think that he is going back to the leafs.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:

I'd love him in the bottom six. He was physical and hit everything that moved, played on the PK and was generally a good pest.

XXXX-Gordon-XXXX
Komarov-Hendricks-Pitlick
Gazdic

02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Hypothetically if Spezza is available, would you be interested? If so, what would you guys be willing to give up?

Old
02-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Hypothetically if Spezza is available, would you be interested? If so, what would you guys be willing to give up?
Ottawa is probably looking for a center as part of the return package. So that leaves us with RNH or Gagner.

RNH is hands off in that deal, so that leaves Gagner. What would we have to add to Gagner to make it work for Ottawa.

Gagner+Eberle+Klefbom
for
Spezza+Cowan

Is something I look at, but again Spezza is only locked down till the end of next year. Might be a tad overpayment on our behalf as well.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Oilers4life1987

I keep hearing about this Fedor Malykhin in europe. Would he be a good fit for the Oilers

Old
02-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Ottawa is probably looking for a center as part of the return package. So that leaves us with RNH or Gagner.

RNH is hands off in that deal, so that leaves Gagner. What would we have to add to Gagner to make it work for Ottawa.

Gagner+Eberle+Klefbom
for
Spezza+Cowan

Is something I look at, but again Spezza is only locked down till the end of next year. Might be a tad overpayment on our behalf as well.
Spezza and Cowen are struggling mightily.

I am very much in the trade Eberle camp, but not for that return.

Last edited by Valic: 02-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old
02-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Gagner+Eberle+Klefbom
for
Spezza+Cowan

I like spezza but no chance I'd make that trade at all.

Old
02-09-2014, 10:47 AM
SchultzSquared

Gagner + EDM 1st for Schenn + Couturier

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Couturier-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Smyth-Arcobello-Gazdic/Joensuu

Ference-J. Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Belov-Schenn

N. Schultz for 2nd rounder... Hemsky for 3rd+

Old
02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:

Gagner+Eberle+Klefbom
for
Spezza+Cowan

That's not necessarily true. The reason why would Spezza be available is because of Turris developing into their new #1C and Zibanejad showing he can be a capable #2.
After Bobby Ryan, their winger depth is paper thin. Especially if Michalek tests free agency.
If I'm Ottawa I'm slightly worries that Clarke MacArthur is my 2nd best winger.

Old
02-09-2014, 05:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'd love him in the bottom six. He was physical and hit everything that moved, played on the PK and was generally a good pest.

XXXX-Gordon-XXXX
Komarov-Hendricks-Pitlick
Gazdic
Don't forget he speaks like 8 languages, so he can chirp pretty much anyone in the league. I'd LOVE to bring in Komarov

02-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Komarov would be a good bet, and there's the Marlie connection with Eakins so that may give us one of the first cracks at signing him.

Regarding the Ottawa rumors, what would people think of a Gagner for Lazar based swap? I know it's a magic beans trade, but MacT is on the record a couple times as really loving Lazar (pre-draft and again in the Staples mega-interview), and he ticks a lot of the proverbial boxes.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:02 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Komarov would be a good bet, and there's the Marlie connection with Eakins so that may give us one of the first cracks at signing him.

Regarding the Ottawa rumors, what would people think of a Gagner for Lazar based swap? I know it's a magic beans trade, but MacT is on the record a couple times as really loving Lazar (pre-draft and again in the Staples mega-interview), and he ticks a lot of the proverbial boxes.
Yeah so Ottawa is not doing that... BOTH teams have to want to make a trade remember...

Old
02-09-2014, 07:47 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:

Easy yes. Zero chance Ottawa does that.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:18 PM
40oz

Quote:
Komarov also bailed on Eakins and the Marlies after 14 games and went to Russia. Granted he may like the guy, but Komarov is going to go to which ever team pays him the most money and gives him the biggest opportunity.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Hemsky4PM

Komarov is like Niemenen and Jarkko Ruutu. Not a bad 4th liner. I would rather have him than Jones or Joensuu.

2 year deal at 800k per would seem reasonable. Could fit well on a line with Lander, Horak, Gazdic, Hendricks in a rotation (I say Hendricks as he could get 3rd line ice as well).

Old
02-09-2014, 08:31 PM
shogun99

Quote:

Ottawa already has their version of Gagner in Turris.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:35 PM
armandh01

MacT needs to focus on the defense and stop trying to fix the bottom 6, which seem to be doing OK now.

Without D this team will spin its wheels. Whether they develop, trade or sign a free agent.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:44 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
MacT needs to focus on the defense and stop trying to fix the bottom 6, which seem to be doing OK now.

Without D this team will spin its wheels. Whether they develop, trade or sign a free agent.
I don't mind him tinkering with the bottom 6. It's definitely easier than getting a couple of top pairing defensemen.

xxx-xxx
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

That's not easy to address mid season.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:47 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't mind him tinkering with the bottom 6. It's definitely easier than getting a couple of top pairing defensemen.

xxx-xxx
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

That's not easy to address mid season.
He doesn't even need top pairing guys, I know they're hard to get but there has to be a Dman available superior to the illustrious Elder Schultz, Fraser, Larsen, Belov, Ference (not that Dear Capitan will be moved).

Despres for example if he's on the outside looking in. Can't be worse. He also needs to stop signing guys like Fraser who really do 0 for this squad. He needs to stop acquiring zero factor players.

An appropriate partner for Justin and Ference is what is needed imo. Martinez would of been a good guy for Schultz imo, if that deal went down.

X - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Ference - Y

Old
02-09-2014, 08:49 PM
workedforme

Quote:

Gagner+Eberle+Klefbom
for
Spezza+Cowan

I'm not really interested in Spezza but if MacT could swing Gagner+ for Cowen I'd be ecstatic.

Old
02-09-2014, 09:30 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Sam Gagner, larsen and Taylor fedun for hjalmrsonn and mcneil

Jones for a 5th
Potter for 6th

Draft Bennett

Hall-rnh-yakupov
Perron-Bennett-EBERLE
Mcneil-Lander-joensuu
Caron-gordon-pitlick
Horak
Gazdic

Ference schultz
Marincin petry
Klefbom- hjalmrsonn
Belov
Fraser

Scrivens
Bryz

Sharp-Gagner-kane
Saad-toews-hossa
Bickell-bouchard-versteeg
Regin-handzsus-Shaw

Keith-seabrook
Leddy-oduya
Rozsival-larsen

Crawford
Rantaa

Old
02-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Bergeron47

LOL, Gagner the #1 center on the top team in the West

The Hawks have been screwing Brandon Pirri since the start of the season. He was the AHL scoring champ last year and only 22 years old.

He put up 5 points in his first 7 games, and went through a stretch of scoring points in 5 games from a 6-game stretch in November. Yet all season he's only been given 12:15 TOI/game, with 54 seconds of PP time/game. That's 4th line centerman numbers.

Why? Because Joel Quenville is a nazi for defense. Pirri has all the tools of an offensive NHL player, but has been sent down twice to work on his deficiencies. What are his deficiencies? His foot speed and his defence. Michael Handzus has been playing the #2 role instead strictly because he's responsible defensively.
Brandon Pirri's salary is 870,000.
Does Sam Gagner sound like a player that the Hawks would want, for $4.8M?

Closed Thread