HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2014, 12:44 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
MacT talked about "getting our picks back".. Clifford + Edm 3rd 2014 for Gagner could be a possibility. Gags usually turns it up at the end of season so lets se how he starts after this break. Hopefully he heats up and increases his value.
I keep Gagner if that is what they are offering

Old
02-27-2014, 12:52 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

If the rumours surrounding Kesler are true then (Gagner + something more) for (Kesler + something less) could be a decent trade match up.

Canucks are going to miss the playoffs at the rate they are going and need some sort of reboot.

Does Gagner give them anything they really need though at the expense of losing Kesler?

I also think a team out East like the Flyers (everything comes back to the Flyers it seems like ) would be in on Kesler and would likely outbid the Oilers.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:54 PM
rockinghockey

I am ok with moving Gagner but not going to give him away like the LA deals I hear

Old
02-27-2014, 12:55 PM
rockinghockey

I would do Gagner and Klefbom/Marincin

Old
02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If the rumours surrounding Kesler are true then (Gagner + something more) for (Kesler + something less) could be a decent trade match up.

Canucks are going to miss the playoffs at the rate they are going and need some sort of reboot.

Does Gagner give them anything they really need though at the expense of losing Kesler?

I also think a team out East like the Flyers (everything comes back to the Flyers it seems like ) would be in on Kesler and would likely outbid the Oilers.
This would never happen. I doubt Kesler would ever wave to come to Edmonton. And Gillis has already shown it would take a massive overpayment to send anyone to a rival. He was asking for Yakupov when trading Schnieder

Old
02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 50
I see Kesler ending up on Toronto if anything to play with Kessel/Van Reimsdyk

Kadri+Gardiner/1st

Old
02-27-2014, 01:36 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
This would never happen. I doubt Kesler would ever wave to come to Edmonton. And Gillis has already shown it would take a massive overpayment to send anyone to a rival. He was asking for Yakupov when trading Schnieder
While I agree with your sentiment, Gillis didn't ask for Yakupov - they asked for the #7 pick + a 2nd + a prospect (believed to be Marincin):

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ory-schneider/

Old
02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
MacT talked about "getting our picks back".. Clifford + Edm 3rd 2014 for Gagner could be a possibility. Gags usually turns it up at the end of season so lets se how he starts after this break. Hopefully he heats up and increases his value.
lol

Thousands of posts and a couple threads later and the dial is still turned to this trade.

The only thing likely to "heat up" with Gagner having wingers like Hemsky and Eberle is GA.

I wonder the over/under is for this line staying together.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:45 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Exactly. Gillis made it well known he doesn't want to deal with Edmonton in a deal, accepting a 9th overall pick instead of a 7th.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
Would you want one player, not named Shea Weber eating that much of your cap?
If that player is PK Subban, sure.

Quote:
I also, don't know how PK Subban would handle being the top paid player in the league. Would that go to his head? To me, he seems like a player who can get a "big head", given the opportunity.
Meh. It's weird how there are plenty of other guys with attitudes (Karlsson in Ottawa for example) who never get these kinds of questions about their character. They must be doing something white er right.

Quote:
What's the compensation for a deal like that? Two 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd, isn't it? That takes away a lot of our trading pieces in up-coming years. We are still looking for a #2 C.
I don't know what the current set up is. Anyone else?

Quote:
If your giving that up for She Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, sure. I'm not sure I'm ready to put PK Subban in that class of defenseman, yet.
The guy who won the Norris isn't in the same class as the guys who have not?

Subban, IMO, is right in with that group. He's elite.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:05 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
I think Subban is overrated.

He just won the Norris because he plays in the land of a thousand registered award voters known as Montreal. They have the most voters per capita by far because they have english and french writers that pander the same thing.

He is a less explosive Karlsson that throws hip checks occasionally. He forces plays and goes full Dion Phaneuf all the time. There is a reason Weber, Doughty, and Piet played over him at the Olympics.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:05 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Who says that Reinhart or Bennett would be a downgrade? RNH is his rookie season was already an upgrade on Gagner, why is it a given that they'd be downgrades on Gagner?

Arcobello might not give you the same amount of offense but he is better at draws, better defensively, wins more puck battles and is a hell of a lot cheaper. I would have no issue playing him and dealing Gagner. The bottom line is that neither is a long term fit here so MacT needs to go shopping for an actual 2C, not a 2C in the offensive zone only. As for Clifford any players career could end in short order, that said I'd rather add a player like that to our bottom 6 than have a player like Sam in our top 6.

Bingo, trading Gagner does 2 things, it forces management to actually look for a better fit at 2C and it clears cap space and rids ourselves of one of the easiest players to play against in the NHL and one of the worst defensive sieves.

not gonna bother getting into a gagner argument with you (or liquor for that matter).... you guys have long ago made up your mind in regards to gagner, as have i as well ... no point in arguing about something that neither of us will change our opinions on, lol

Old
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If it was the Kesler of 2-3 years ago, it would be a fantastic move.

This Kesler is going downhill fast and, I mean, it's Kesler

Old
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post

He just won the Norris because he plays in the land of a thousand registered award voters known as Montreal. They have the most voters per capita by far because they have english and french writers that pander the same thing.

He is a less explosive Karlsson that throws hip checks occasionally. He forces plays and goes full Dion Phaneuf all the time. There is a reason Weber, Doughty, and Piet played over him at the Olympics.
Lets be clear here EVERYBODY played over Subban for TC. Fortunately.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post

Cite?

Old
02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Trade the entire line of Hemsky-Gagner-Eberle for Kassian-Edler-Kesler

Would you do it?

Old
02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
The Oilers SHOULD be interested in Kesler. He fits the Oilers needs to a 'T'. The only problem is, we've already seen the premium Gillis puts on trades that are within the division from the Schneider deal. It would take quite a bit for anyone to get him out of Vancouver, but for the Oilers, it would cost a mint (I would imagine).

It would be nice if we could get him for Gagner and Klefbom, but that's not happening.

New York seems like a fit. Both HCs have had success with the other team's roster and could definitely be canvasing the GM for "their guy".

I just know that if we see a Kesler for Staal deal (or something like it), I'll lose my mind because we could use both players.

02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Musashi

Canucks never would

Old
02-27-2014, 02:43 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Imagine the Sedins with Hemsky. Could help rejuvinate that line.

Eberle+Gagner gives them secondary scoring which they need.

The loss of Edler isn't huge as they have Garrison/Bieksa already.

Kassian is a caveman who everyone here loves to hate but it certainly can't be denied the Oilers could more cavemen in the lineup.

Canucks get an offensive boost... Oilers get more toughness/grit and a top 2 dman.

Disregarding cap hits (because the Nucks would basically be hard against the cap... but nothing a bit of salary retention couldn't solve)... the deal is probably reasonably fair for both teams.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:44 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Trade the entire line of Hemsky-Gagner-Eberle for Kassian-Edler-Kesler

Would you do it?
That's a no-brainer.

I would throw-up watching Kesler play for the Oilers, but they'd be a better team.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:49 PM
armandh01

Oilers should go for Edler, he'd be cheaper than Kesler due to his current lack of quality play. We could use a dman on our pitiful back end.

He'd be an ideal pairing for Schultz and we can finally relegate Ference to the bottom pair where he belongs.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Cite?
Its always been this way. Why else do you think the Eastern conference, despite for the longest time having an inferior collection of hockey clubs, have monopolized and made up the majority of the NHL's All-star teams and awards?

For example, Jose Theodore of the Canadiens won the Hart Trophy one year over league leading goal and point scorer Jerome Iginla. Hell, Ovechkin made both Allstar teams as both a RW and a LW last year... How is anyone supposed to take any of these awards seriously?

Anyone who has watched the four defenceman play knows Subban is the most inferior of the four by far.

The whole PHWA is a gong show. They dont publicize anything, when realistically you'd expect these kind of things to have transparency in order for their to be any merit involved with them. All that is actually known is that the number of Eastern Conference writers is about 3 times as much as the western conference.

As for my comment about montreal in particular, it is assumptious. While I have no physical proof, I could probably spend hours going over how over represented Montreal is in actual awards.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
oilman9482

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Oilers should go for Edler, he'd be cheaper than Kesler due to this play imo. We could use a dman on our pitiful back end.

He'd be an ideal pairing for Schultz and we can finally relegate Ference to the bottom pair where he belongs.
Edler has struggled this season. I could see us getting him straight up for Gagner.

Old
02-27-2014, 03:03 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Of course, the voters didn't make up Subban's impact on Montreal's offence.

Old
02-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Imagine the Sedins with Hemsky. Could help rejuvinate that line.

Eberle+Gagner gives them secondary scoring which they need.

The loss of Edler isn't huge as they have Garrison/Bieksa already.

Kassian is a caveman who everyone here loves to hate but it certainly can't be denied the Oilers could more cavemen in the lineup.

Canucks get an offensive boost... Oilers get more toughness/grit and a top 2 dman.

Disregarding cap hits (because the Nucks would basically be hard against the cap... but nothing a bit of salary retention couldn't solve)... the deal is probably reasonably fair for both teams.
Vancouver would be in riots again if that happened. Just based on the value the players hold to the league

Kesler > Eberle
Edler >>> Gagner
Kassian >> Hemsky

They would not move that package for two scraps waiting to be traded on one of the leagues worst teams and a one dimensional top 6 winger. I don't even think our package alone would be enough to entice the Nucks to move Kesler at all. Maybe something could be done around Eberle for Edler but I'm not too big of a fan of Edler and would look to target a different dman for Eberle.

Closed Thread