HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Old
02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
yeah, chan won't win gold, three falls, and all he had to do was skate relatively clean... doesn't deserve gold

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, chan won't win gold, three falls, and all he had to do was skate relatively clean... doesn't deserve gold
neither does the other guy. Pretty underwhelming performances.

That said how bad is the ice?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Except this here is Olympic judging. I thought the judges gave Hanyu too high a score in the previous skate.

Chan did nail his earlier program and oddly was still second. Which again means its Olympic judging.

What other nation could have a 3time in a row World Champion skate a perfect skate and NOT get the highest score? If Chan was Russian his first skate score would've gone through the roof. Even if he fell..

edit; spoiler;

not a good skate from Chan.
Agreed. It's gotten better in the last decade but the reputation of bias and unfair judging is still fairly deserved. Such a heavy political influence has tainted this sport.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

Patrick Chan choked. Unbelievable.

Old
02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
The Japanese skater was amazing and flawless in his first program. Chan fell. That's why he was second, seems pretty obvious. You're basically saying Chan should be judged on past success.

And Chan was not good today I don't think. Doesn't look like he's going to get gold.
?? Chan fell in the first skate? I could swear I watched that yesterday and that he skated a clean program.

What I'm saying is other countries, with favorable judging (and this often takes place in Olympics) have their skaters win gold in less than best performances. Olympics skating has a tradition of this biased judging.

Old
02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
?? Chan fell in the first skate? I could swear I watched that yesterday and that he didn't.

What I'm saying is other countries, with favorable judging (and this often takes place in Olympics) have their skaters win gold in less than best performances. Olympics skating has a tradition of this biased judging.
He stumbled on one jump. He was still close to a personal best. Hanyu was perfect.

As an aside, I hope we're not going to start trashing Canadian athletes again for not meeting our expectations. They try their hardest, we should be supportive regardless of how many medals they bring home. I mean, who really cares how many medals Canada wins? Doesn't change my life one way or another.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 1499
Major choke by Chan
The pressure got to his head

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
#ualberta

Too bad he couldn't get the gold

I guess we'll settle for silver, better than nothing

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

Quote:
He stumbled on one jump. He was still close to a personal best. Hanyu was perfect.

As an aside, I hope we're not going to start trashing Canadian athletes again for not meeting our expectations. They try their hardest, we should be supportive regardless of how many medals they bring home. I mean, who really cares how many medals Canada wins? Doesn't change my life one way or another.
I'm sorry, that's a loser mentality and a completely defeatist attitude. When an athlete chokes, trying their "hardest" and being "supportive" of failure is the antithesis of why these athletes train and work so hard for a once-every-four-year opportunity. If it "really" doesn't matter, why compete in sport at all. Everybody should just go out there and have fun and not worry about results.

Might as well disband Own the Podium and Road to Excellence initiatives and stop pumping money into sports if this is the majority opinion.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
bs

You stated he fell in the earlier program which was absolutely not the case. When called on it you change "fell" to "stumble". So hard to take your comment seriously at all. Chan skated a clean program in the first skate as I stated. He had the briefest pause after one jump which he totally had under control and didn't get a deduction. But still he was mysteriously awarded second in that skate while being the perennial world champ. Explain that, because it happens to few other WC's in Olympic judging. Whenever theres a doubt in Olympic judging the World Champs usually get the nod.

What happened basically was the judges for some reason blowing their load at Hanyu in the previous skate and presumptuously awarding him the abnormally high score. essentially leaving little room for Chan who skated later, skated a clean program, and a more difficult program.

Now without the pressure of Chan having to Better Hanyu in the final and fighting Hanyu's highly unusual score in the first skate who knows how it would have unfolded differently.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old
02-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
I'm sorry, that's a loser mentality and a completely defeatist attitude. When an athlete chokes, trying their "hardest" and being "supportive" of failure is the antithesis of why these athletes train and work so hard for a once-every-four-year opportunity. If it "really" doesn't matter, why compete in sport at all. Everybody should just go out there and have fun and not worry about results.
And describing finishing second as "failure" is the antithesis of the values of sportsmanship that these games are supposed to represent.

OMG this guys is only the second best in the world. What a loser.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
And describing finishing second as "failure" is the antithesis of the values of sportsmanship that these games are supposed to represent.

He's the best mens skater in the world hands down. Today doesn't change that.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post

Oh please, no need to be so dramatic.

Chan will probably be the first to tell you that he lost Gold today and didn't win Silver.

Replacement; Chan didn't even have to skate a clean program to take Gold today. Hell, his last world title he fell twice in his free program and still won which led to a lot of uproar and criticism about favoritism in judging towards Chan which a lot of the figure skating world believe exists because he's such a gifted technical skater. It really does slice both ways, especially in this sport... fact is, even with the first mistake today, had he been able to rise to the occasion he still would've guaranteed himself a gold.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
bs

You stated he fell in the earlier program which was absolutely not the case. When called on it you change "fell" to "stumble". So hard to take your comment seriously at all. Chan skated a clean program in the first skate as I stated. He had the briefest pause after one jump which he totally had under control and didn't get a deduction. But still he was mysteriously awarded second in that skate while being the perennial world champ. Explain that, because it happens to few other WC's in Olympic judging. Whenever theres a doubt in Olympic judging the World Champs usually get the nod.

What happened basically was the judges for some reason blowing their load at Hanyu in the previous skate and presumptuously awarding him the abnormally high score. essentially leaving little room for Chan who skated later, skated a clean program, and a more difficult program.

Now without the pressure of Chan having to Better Hanyu in the final and fighting Hanyu's highly unusual score in the first skate who knows how it would have unfolded differently.
Whatever, he didn't skate clean, he stumbled after one of his jumps. I would assume he lost points for that. Poor choice of words to say he fell, but he didn't skate as clean as Hanyu regardless. He deserved second. He still could have won today.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Chan will probably be the first to tell you that he lost Gold today and didn't win Silver.

Replacement; Chan didn't even have to skate a clean program to take Gold today. Hell, his last world title he fell twice in his free program and still won which led to a lot of uproar and criticism about favoritism in judging towards Chan which a lot of the figure skating world believe exists because he's such a gifted technical skater. It really does slice both ways, especially in this sport... fact is, even with the first mistake today, had he been able to rise to the occasion he still would've guaranteed himself a gold.
No, I agree. The skate today wasn't worth of a Gold but the point is neither was Hanyu.

My point of concern in this competition is that an inflated score to Hanyu in the first skate (and that score was abnormally high) put Chan under pressure even before he performed a first skate. Chan, the World champ, skates a flawless program in the first skate, a more difficult program, and finished second to Hanyu in the earlier skate.

Which impacts the rest. that's my point of contention.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Whatever, he didn't skate clean, he stumbled after one of his jumps. I would assume he lost points for that. Poor choice of words to say he fell, but he didn't skate as clean as Hanyu regardless. He deserved second. He still could have won today.
Thank you.

But obviously due to Chan skating the most challenging program of anybody out there he ought to have had the higher score yesterday. We'll agree to disagree on that point.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:

Might as well disband Own the Podium and Road to Excellence initiatives and stop pumping money into sports if this is the majority opinion.
Jesus, go up to Chan and tell him to his face that he's a choker and blew it for Canada. These people aren't perfect. Patrick Chan is apologizing to Canada right now for winning a silver medal, how ridiculous and sad is that? As if we are somehow entitled to his success.

It's up to the Canadian people and government if they want to support the athletes. Just because they decided to does not mean that the athletes owe us anything in return.

And to answer your question, it matters to the athletes involved in the event. How many medals Canada wins has no affect on any non-athlete's life. Do you puff out your chest when you walk around or something if Canada wins 15 gold medals instead of 6?

Old
02-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Jesus, go up to Chan and tell him to his face that he's a choker and blew it for Canada. These people aren't perfect. Patrick Chan is apologizing to Canada right now for winning a silver medal, how ridiculous and sad is that? As if we are somehow entitled to his success.

It's up to the Canadian people and government if they want to support the athletes. Just because they decided to does not mean that the athletes owe us anything in return.

And to answer your question, it matters to the athletes involved in the event. How many medals Canada wins has no affect on any non-athlete's life. Do you puff out your chest when you walk around or something if Canada wins 15 gold medals instead of 6?
I guess you don't care whether the Oilers win or lose either? Would you not puff out your chest if they won the Stanley Cup?

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:47 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Lol, second place is not choking. Could have he done better? Worse? Yes.

I'm happy with a silver. No medal would be much worse and could be argued as choking.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Gopper

Quote:
Patrick Chan choked. Unbelievable.
Nah, Kurt Browning choked, Chan at least won Silver.

Gopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Because your initial post was just the soul of restraint? Good lord.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Soundwave

Feel bad for Chan.

You don't have to apologize to Canada bro, you gave it your best.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:58 PM
SephF
See you next time

Glad to see he still got silver. I thought while watching it he might fall off the podium all together.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 02:59 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if anything chan should apologize to canada for having to watch his skate on split screen during a hockey game when cbc has 7 other channels he could have been on.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I guess you don't care whether the Oilers win or lose either? Would you not puff out your chest if they won the Stanley Cup?
I root for Canada just like I root for the Oilers. But if I see an Oiler on the street I'm not gonna tell him that he's an embarrassment to me, nor will I think I'm somehow better than a fan of a different team if the Oilers win a cup.