HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2014, 07:36 PM
  #551
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Steve Armitage I think.

Fantastic broadcaster. Very underrated.
Yes your right I did some googling
He's been with CBC for almost 50 years
His passion and emotion is terrific

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:02 PM
  #552
Starbuds
You like muscles?
 
Starbuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
That Denny Morrison is one sexy man. No homo.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 09:23 PM
  #553
ConYak
Registered User
 
ConYak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beside my neighbor..
Country: Canada
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Thank goodness for Morrison. Two somewhat surprising medals to offset the short track bed-pooping.

Pretty insane that a 1500m skate comes down to a photo finish time adjustment. Skate nearly a mile and the gap between Gold and Silver is in the millimeters, go figure.
Here's a pic of the very first Olympic speed skating,

in Chamonix France in 1924..Timing was.."I think the big in the suit guy won.." "Let's ask the crowd....'

Here's a chart of the 1924 Olympic Hockey scores...



Last edited by ConYak: 02-15-2014 at 09:31 PM.
ConYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 09:30 PM
  #554
Declassified
Valkyrie Pedalworks
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Apparently we have very different definitions of "puffing out your chest". Mine is simply being proud that your team won, it seems your definition stretches into the realm of arrogantly belittling opposing fans, which I don't approve of.
well man the very definition of puffing out your chest is an arrogant act in which to show supremacy... Might of just been a poor choice of words on your part, but puffing out the chest really only has one meaning, same as peacocking

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:53 AM
  #555
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy
 
Mcnofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
10 DNFs in the men's Super G.

And, incredibly, Jan Hudec, Canada's third best medal hope in their Alpine men's division, ties with Bode Miller from USA to get bronze.

What a weird, weird finish, and congratulations goes out to the incredible race that Hudec put up.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:33 AM
  #556
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,005
vCash: 500
Figures that Hudec would be the one to break the Canadian alpine medal drought. Guay and Osborne-Paradis just never seem to get it done in the Olympics.

Big medal for Canada though. It might be a freak occurrence but it's an important medal.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:40 AM
  #557
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,005
vCash: 500
Maltais wins silver in snowboard cross. Medal count starting to pile up but we really could have used those medals in short track and Ricker could have made it a double medal in snowboard cross too.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 07:54 AM
  #558
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy
 
Mcnofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Maltais wins silver in snowboard cross. Medal count starting to pile up but we really could have used those medals in short track and Ricker could have made it a double medal in snowboard cross too.
She had a broken wrist, I'm not terribly surprised she didn't get on the podium.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:11 AM
  #559
LTIR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,097
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoEakins View Post


Here's a pic of the very first Olympic speed skating,

in Chamonix France in 1924..Timing was.."I think the big in the suit guy won.." "Let's ask the crowd....'

Here's a chart of the 1924 Olympic Hockey scores...

That Canada flag ... Never knew we had that

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:49 AM
  #560
Doomsday Device
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
I can't help but think that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would make a very good figure skater with how great his edgework is and how fluid he is as a skater. Plus he, uh, kind of looks like a figure skater.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
  #561
Ser Woof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30,240
vCash: 50
Virtue and Moir are battling against corrupt judging and Davis/White. Looks like the Russian-US vote swapping scheme had credence... surprise, surprise. 2.6 points ahead is a joke.

Ser Woof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
  #562
Replacement
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Virtue and Moir are battling against corrupt judging and Davis/White. Looks like the Russian-US vote swapping scheme had credence... surprise, surprise. 2.6 points ahead is a joke.
After the Sale Pelletier saga I don't even know how the corruption and judging scandal can be disputed.

Canada doesn't have the same connections, cache, and fix money that the Euros seem to have.

I maintain if Chan is from anywhere else he has the gold Medal on a chain. Possibly two.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 12:57 PM
  #563
Replacement
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
I can't help but think that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would make a very good figure skater with how great his edgework is and how fluid he is as a skater. Plus he, uh, kind of looks like a figure skater.
Lets be clear here. He has the build of a singles figure skater. Not a pairs figure skater. I don't know that he could throw a midget over his back..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:08 PM
  #564
Ser Woof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
After the Sale Pelletier saga I don't even know how the corruption and judging scandal can be disputed.

Canada doesn't have the same connections, cache, and fix money that the Euros seem to have.

I maintain if Chan is from anywhere else he has the gold Medal on a chain. Possibly two.

Seems that Canada has always gotten the extra ****** end of the stick though, more-so than most. Orser, Stojko, Bourne & Kraatz can also be added to the list of robberies as well.

You think they wouldn't make it so obvious though. In the ice dance, V/M skate their best routine of the season, don't equal their season best. The Russians better their season best by 4 points and the Americans, Davis & White set a new record.

Ser Woof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:12 PM
  #565
Replacement
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Seems that Canada has always gotten the extra ****** end of the stick though, more-so than most. Orser, Stojko, Bourne & Kraatz can also be added to the list of robberies as well.

You think they wouldn't make it so obvious though. In the ice dance, V/M skate their best routine of the season, don't equal their season best. The Russians better their season best by 4 points and the Americans, Davis & White set a new record.
Its about one thing.

Ka-ching

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:04 PM
  #566
McDangler97
5-14-6-1
 
McDangler97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,001
vCash: 50
Virtue and Moir getting robbed
This is why figure skating is a joke

McDangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:32 PM
  #567
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy
 
Mcnofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Virtue and Moir getting robbed
This is why figure skating is a joke
Not only that, there's no way the other Canadian team did that badly.

Virtue and Moir's was an incredulous mistake. Bigger mistake was Davis and White. The biggest were the Russians.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:35 PM
  #568
Oi'll say!
Read this now!
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
I can't help but think that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would make a very good figure skater with how great his edgework is and how fluid he is as a skater. Plus he, uh, kind of looks like a figure skater.
Yup. Tessa Virtue.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
  #569
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Figures that Hudec would be the one to break the Canadian alpine medal drought. Guay and Osborne-Paradis just never seem to get it done in the Olympics.

Big medal for Canada though. It might be a freak occurrence but it's an important medal.
Kind of makes sense in a "pseudo-scientific" way since he was born in Europe. Certain cultures/gene pools just have that extra little something in certain events. Central Europeans and alpine skiing is one example, just something in their blood.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 03:49 PM
  #570
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
It wouldn't surprise me if the fix is in for ice dancing.

After 2002, nothing would surprise me. It's even easier now since judging is anonymous.

I think the only way for Canada to win is if the US makes blatant errors that can't possibly be excused by the judges. Even then, I'm sure they'll do their best.


Last edited by Hockey Nightmare: 02-16-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:27 PM
  #571
Ukgoalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Belov has been pretty good so far from what I've seen

Ukgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:37 PM
  #572
0ilerman
The King
 
0ilerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Capital City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,205
vCash: 500
Tessa virtue is my favorite. Everything about her. Perfect

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:11 PM
  #573
Rafters
Registered User
 
Rafters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Medicine Hat
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,330
vCash: 500
Russian curling team ain't ugly..especially the second


Last edited by Rafters: 02-16-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:13 PM
  #574
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Kind of makes sense in a "pseudo-scientific" way since he was born in Europe. Certain cultures/gene pools just have that extra little something in certain events. Central Europeans and alpine skiing is one example, just something in their blood.
Pseudo-scientific? Sounds like bunk to me.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 04:51 AM
  #575
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Where the medals at

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.