HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Old
02-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
"Best ever start" was padded a little by some early medals in the brand new slope style skiing and snowboard events.

We might still win the same amount of medals as Vancouver (it seems like a stretch though), but there are new events this year, and we will come nowhere close to the number of gold medals.

The short track team gassing multiple medals has pretty much killed any chance of this Olympics being comparable to Vancouver.
They're still on pace to match the medal totals from Vancouver right now. There are quite a few strong events still left.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 07:11 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
China disqualified, Canada gets silver in women's short track relay
How the **** can korea get away with tripping italy in the change?... It is not allowed to widen your legs after a change, again and again we have seen disqualifications based on that action. That would have meant disqualification in any race other than this one apparently. Ridiculous. Canada gold, Italy silver in my book (not that it counts but still).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
4 medals guaranteed in hockey and curling.

I'm sure we'll get a couple more.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Women's hockey and curling are pretty much a lock. Id say Men's curling is very likely. But I think that Men's hockey is still up in the air. To much potential for an upset to take this for granted.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:

For me, this is my ONLY expectation of Canada, in terms of medals, in the Olympics, after that I hope the favourites win, and everyone achieves their best.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:01 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:

men have to beat a stingy Swiss team then the powerful U.S to guarantee a medal....it's not a lock

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:10 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 50
Regarding corrupt judging, I don't feel any activity that is judged to get points should be part of any world sport event. All results should be open and shut. I'm not talking reffing because all sports need that but when opinion decides the results always there can be no clear cut winner.

The way it's going might as well have Olympic beauty pageants. Dancing of all genres. Cooking. Heck why not painting and sculpting.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Spawn

Crazy that a guy who wins a gold medal will likely look back at this Olympics as a disappointment. Started out so good for Hamelin, but yikes, rough last week or so .

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Crazy that a guy who wins a gold medal will likely look back at this Olympics as a disappointment. Started out so good for Hamelin, but yikes, rough last week or so .
Indeed, it's hard not to feel for the guy.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

The only guarantee here is at least a silver from the women's hockey team.

Jennifer Jones losing two in a row after going 9-0 in the round robin would be very surprising and disappointing, but nothing is in the bag yet.

Saying Jacobs or especially men's hockey are guaranteed medals is presumptuous at this point. Don't jinx it!

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:41 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
men have to beat a stingy Swiss team then the powerful U.S to guarantee a medal....it's not a lock
latvia beat swiss

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:47 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i really hope our girls can beat the americans again

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:34 PM
#ualberta

In Vancouver, Canada earned 14 gold 7 silver 5 bronze for a total of 26 medals
Now keep in mind a bunch of new events were added as already mentioned above, so finishing with 26 medals again should be considered worse than we did in Vancouver because it's a smaller percentage of all the medals that were available, if that makes sense.
Also it will be much less gold which sucks because it's all about the gold thats why medal tables list countries by most gold medals not total medal count

Everything I said above is very obvious I know, point is Canada is not doing very well this Olympics as of now still a lot of time to turn things around though

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:51 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
latvia beat swiss
I wrote that before the upset

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
They're still on pace to match the medal totals from Vancouver right now. There are quite a few strong events still left.
What doesn't get stated, ever, in these comparisons is its not the same, its never the same.

Each Olympics theres several more events, more medals, disciplines and higher potential for medal counts.

Canada has already won several medals in events that weren't even part of the Vancouver games. So how is that a valid comparison?

Canada, and pretty much most nations should be expected to exceed what they got before given how many more medals are being handed out.

Simply matching the previous medal count is actually falling behind.

edit sorry, 402 nailed this already as well. I didn't note that immediately.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:49 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Regarding corrupt judging, I don't feel any activity that is judged to get points should be part of any world sport event. All results should be open and shut. I'm not talking reffing because all sports need that but when opinion decides the results always there can be no clear cut winner.

The way it's going might as well have Olympic beauty pageants. Dancing of all genres. Cooking. Heck why not painting and sculpting.
I cant believe ski jumping it judged. Frig, let em fly and see who goes the farthest. If someone goes into a cannonball front flip position but goes the farthest and lands it, he wins.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Soundwave

To be honest I really don't care about the end medal count. You can't continually top the previous Olympics.

As a whole we're doing well at the games ... consider Russia has like 4 times our population, Germany has 2 1/2 times the population, US has 10 times the population.

Norway is amazing considering their population size.

We've come a long way from the days of Calgary '88 where the entire country was just hoping for ONE gold medal, lol.

It's more for the athletes ... they're the ones that train for 4 years, I want to see them be happy with their performance, the overall medal count is not that big of a deal for me especially if we're coming home with a pretty sizable number of them anyway.

If they can match/exceed Vancouver, great, if they don't, no big deal.

Last edited by Soundwave: 02-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
What doesn't get stated, ever, in these comparisons is its not the same, its never the same.

Each Olympics theres several more events, more medals, disciplines and higher potential for medal counts.

Canada has already won several medals in events that weren't even part of the Vancouver games. So how is that a valid comparison?

Canada, and pretty much most nations should be expected to exceed what they got before given how many more medals are being handed out.

Simply matching the previous medal count is actually falling behind.

edit sorry, 402 nailed this already as well. I didn't note that immediately.
Fair enough. It seems like they'll finish top 3 in total medals, so personally I don't think finishing with a bit lower percentage of medals, characterizes this as a bad Olympics or not doing very well.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Over a quarter of Winter Olympic medals involve cross country skiing at least partially. We need to convince ourselves to get off our ***es and out in the cold to do one of the hardest endurance sports out there. Shouldn't be too hard.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:26 PM
ChaoticOrange

All of your silver are belong to us.

However disappointing the last 3 or so days have been, the Americans are having a very subpar Olympics, with most of their medals being bronzes.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:37 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I wrote that before the upset
I know, you seemed pretty sure of yourself though

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:41 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
All of your silver are belong to us.

However disappointing the last 3 or so days have been, the Americans are having a very subpar Olympics, with most of their medals being bronzes.
The silver-lining for us (pun-intened) is that if you count gold + silver we are tied for the most. I think were doing decent overall. Just a little disappointing with the lack of golds. Hopefully have some more coming in sports we usually excel in.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
Fair enough. It seems like they'll finish top 3 in total medals, so personally I don't think finishing with a bit lower percentage of medals, characterizes this as a bad Olympics or not doing very well.
Right now we're 5th or 6th in medal count. Even lower in gold count.

We're the 3rd most represented (athlete contingent) nation afairc. So yeah to some respect going any lower is disappointing. Its just that for decades we were conditioned to much worse from Canadian athletes. AKA as next to zero medals.

Heres a thought. No other nation other than Russia now has invested so heavily in the winter Olympics and including Canada hosting two Olympics in recent decades and with facilities for both widely available still. Canada should own quite a few events at the Olympic level. We have some of the best training facilities found anywhere and several other nations actually use our training facilities and many cases to better degree.

I'll tell you one thing that is most predominate in Canada even doing as well as it has in this Oly. This is the non drinking games. Sochi Olympic area is like a sleepy Mormon town. If the Canadian contingent was out partying hard, and theres lots of past games where that was on, then the medal count would likely be dismal.

We've come a long way and we haven't.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Right now we're 5th or 6th in medal count. Even lower in gold count.

We're the 3rd most represented (athlete contingent) nation afairc. So yeah to some respect going any lower is disappointing. Its just that for decades we were conditioned to much worse from Canadian athletes. AKA as next to zero medals.

Heres a thought. No other nation other than Russia now has invested so heavily in the winter Olympics and including Canada hosting two Olympics in recent decades and with facilities for both widely available still. Canada should own quite a few events at the Olympic level. We have some of the best training facilities found anywhere and several other nations actually use our training facilities and many cases to better degree.

I'll tell you one thing that is most predominate in Canada even doing as well as it has in this Oly. This is the non drinking games. Sochi Olympic area is like a sleepy Mormon town. If the Canadian contingent was out partying hard, and theres lots of past games where that was on, then the medal count would likely be dismal.

We've come a long way and we haven't.
Eh, I think that's kind of a strawman arguement. A person is going to train for 4 years and then sabotage their medal chances by going to some (likely) crappy bar the night before their event? Nah.

I mean I'm sure the athletes would be open to partying after their event is over but that's about it.

We have come a long way, there's no doubt about it.

Also in the past how many medals were we probably denied because we weren't allowed to send our best athletes from our best sport (hockey)? I'm sure the Germans or Norwegians would throw a nice fit if the best athletes from their top sport were suddenly not allowed to compete.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Eh, I think that's kind of a strawman arguement. A person is going to train for 4 years and then sabotage their medal chances by going to some (likely) crappy bar the night before their event? Nah.

I mean I'm sure the athletes would be open to partying after their event is over but that's about it.

We have come a long way, there's no doubt about it.

Also in the past how many medals were we probably denied because we weren't allowed to send our best athletes from our best sport (hockey)? I'm sure the Germans or Norwegians would throw a nice fit if the best athletes from their top sport were suddenly not allowed to compete.
In the 70's 80's into the 90's Canadian Athletes had very much the attitude that it wasn't about winning or losing it was about competing, being there, and the Athletes stressing wanting to enjoy the experience and this usually involving being front center in the parties of which Canadian Athletes, particularly, were known for. This debate actually went on with the public calling out athletes and athletes defending their actions as they've earned it. That they're adults making decisions and none of peoples business what they do. (which I'd be fine with if they paid all their own way)

The Montreal Olympics and Calgary Olympics being a cluster**** performance on home soil that few people were pleased with and with plenty of athletes cited as partying before or between events at prior or subsequent Olympics. Canada as a whole in the 70's was a party nation so hard to blame the athletes but the difference being nobody was paying me, Fred, or Sam to go thousands of miles to a beautiful foreign country all expenses paid and party my face off.

Canadians en masse were fed up with Olympic spending for a number of years subsequent to Montreal and Calgary and many changes took place in expectation, in own the podium, in achieving competitive qualifying results etc. Gone were the days where it was simply going out and having the time of your lives at taxpayers expense.

Canada was that country with that Athlete entitlement. Don't kid yourself. I knew dozens of Olympic Athletes back in the day. I trained with several of them, drank my face off with several of them. It was a good gig with very little expectation back in the day. Being a Canadian athlete didn't used to be about winning. It was about a lifestyle, much of it paid for, and spending months in Europe training and competing.

The Canadian Athlete training earnestly in 1970's while everybody else is at an Olympics partying would've been viewed as a too serious by half Toews like Pariahs.

AS for your latter comment on us not being able to send our best I can think of about one sport where that applied.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-19-2014 at 12:42 AM.