HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Report: Canadiens show interest in Hamrlik.

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Jean Beliveau

vCash: 500
Report: Canadiens show interest in Hamrlik.

The Montreal Canadiens may not be finished trolling the free agent market.

The New York Post reports that the Canadiens have had preliminary talks with free agent defenseman Roman Hamrlik. The newspaper reports Montreal GM Bob Gainey has spoken recently with Hamrlik's agent.

The New York Post reports the Canadiens are believed to be offering Hamrlik a two year deal worth between $ 5-million and $6-million.

Carolina and Boston are also said to be interested in Hamrlik.

However,the Canadiens could find themselves in a position of having to deal away a player in order to fit Hamrlik into their plans.

Old
08-07-2005, 02:56 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

I would think that he'd want more than 2.5 to 3 million a year. Maybe about 4

Old
08-07-2005, 02:58 PM
boredmale

Yeah if he signs i am guessing somebody will give him closer to 3.5. No way he would accept a 2 year deal for 5-6. He might be willing to take less salary for more years.

Old
08-07-2005, 02:58 PM
hockey_nut

i'd love him in montreal... but i too think he'd be looking for about $4M a year

Old
08-07-2005, 03:00 PM
craig1

I think he would be a good fit in Montreal. He would definately help out in their transition game......open thinks up for Koivu, Kovalev, etc.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Defensemen who can speed up the transition game with their skating and outlet passes are going to be key this season (they've always been important, but this year it's even more), which is why I find it strange that no one has signed Hamrlik yet. He'll probably sign pretty soon. Although why this news is in the NY Post and not a Montreal paper...

Old
08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
But I thought Gainey was done shopping.

Seriously, he'd be great there. So much of an improvement over Breeze-by, it isn't even funny.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:07 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94
He'll probably sign pretty soon. Although why this news is in the NY Post and not a Montreal paper...
because he was on the islanders last season, perhaps?

does anyone have a link... i can't find it anywhere

Old
08-07-2005, 03:11 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau
However,the Canadiens could find themselves in a position of having to deal away a player in order to fit Hamrlik into their plans.
Hockey_nut did the math here
Habs are at 35M with Theo making 5.5M. So we wouldn't 'have' to deal away a player.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
SabresFan44

Actually Buffalo has been rumored to take him more then all of those other teams.

However knowing our GM it wont be us

Old
08-07-2005, 03:21 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
i'd love him in montreal... but i too think he'd be looking for about $4M a year
Well, maybe that's why he's not sign yet. 4M$ for a guy who doesn't show up every night, I don't think so !! In the new market, I think he's 3M$ max player, no more !!

Habs need an offensive D, so Habs need Hamrlik, nice fit with all the tchek and slovak on there line-up. GO BOB !!

But they also need a big grinder/leader like Scott Stevens who can show a fiew thing to Komisarek !! and Rivet

any news on Scott future guys ??

Old
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
hockey_nut

Stevens, if he comes back, isn't going anywhere else but New Jersey... so forget about that

Old
08-07-2005, 03:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

makes no sense. Unlike Bobby Clarke, Bob Gainey isn't a liar. He said he's done shopping, I beleive him. Also, the habs don't have the cap room to sign Hamrlik, especially since they said they were looking forward to next year's free agent corps. Plus, Hamrlik is left handed, with Souray, Markov, Bouillon, Hainsey and Streit already under contract, it makes no sense to sign yet another left handed blueliner.

The habs will also not do any kind of deal. They're very commited to keep their core. They haven't really dealt any core players for a while. They're too sissy to move them, so forget about it.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry
makes no sense. Unlike Bobby Clarke, Bob Gainey isn't a liar. He said he's done shopping, I beleive him. Also, the habs don't have the cap room to sign Hamrlik, especially since they said they were looking forward to next year's free agent corps. Plus, Hamrlik is left handed, with Souray, Markov, Bouillon, Hainsey and Streit already under contract, it makes no sense to sign yet another left handed blueliner.

The habs will also not do any kind of deal. They're very commited to keep their core. They haven't really dealt any core players for a while. They're too sissy to move them, so forget about it.

it's easier for a left hander to play on the right side then a right hander to play on the left side !

Old
08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry

gainey said he was done but he was going to keep his " ear to the ground"

he left the door open

Old
08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
He can come to Pittsburgh. I've asked for him for a while now.

Old
08-07-2005, 04:13 PM
yvan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Vic
But I thought Gainey was done shopping.

Seriously, he'd be great there. So much of an improvement over Breeze-by, it isn't even funny.
Gainey only said 5-6 days ago that he didn't have any offer on the table for any players! That doesn't mean he is done shoping or wasn't in talk with players!

Old
08-07-2005, 04:47 PM
not quite yoda

I don't believe this for 2 reasons.

1. This would leave us with little or no cap room and Boivin already stated we wouldn't spend up to the max. The above link does not take into account salaries of guys like Higgins, Plekanec, Hossa and Vandermeer which willgo against the cap.

2. With Hamrlick, we would have too many NHL Ds signed on. Without Hamrlick we already have 8. We only need 7. Souray, Komisarek, Markov, Rivet, Bouillon, Dandenault, Hainsey, Streit.

Also, I'd like to see a link.

Old
08-07-2005, 04:55 PM
StanAjax

If this rumor comes from the NY Post, it should come from Larry Brooks.

Larry Brooks is the only columnist that can compete Bruce Garrioch from the Ottawa Sun in the "dumb trade rumors champion" category.

Old
08-07-2005, 05:12 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax

Larry Brooks is the only columnist that can compete Bruce Garrioch from the Ottawa Sun in the "dumb trade rumors champion" category.
Yeah but Larry Brooks did not write today.He is currently on vacation

Some posters like to play games

Old
08-07-2005, 05:19 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:

he's ufa, no one talked of a trade.
Saying the Habs show(ed) interest in most of the defenceman out there is hardly news.

Old
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Yeah but Larry Brooks did not write today.He is currently on vacation

Some posters like to play games

OK, shame on me.

I don't believe the rumor though.

Old
08-07-2005, 06:23 PM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvan74
Gainey only said 5-6 days ago that he didn't have any offer on the table for any players! That doesn't mean he is done shoping or wasn't in talk with players!

I thought he said they were done? Either way, I wasn't taking a shot at anyone. It was more of a comment on never believing anbything GM's say.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:10 PM
reckoning

Quote:

Slightly off-topic, but most of Garrioch`s "rumours" turn out to be false. He`s been wrong at least as often as ******, so how come he`s not censored?

Old
08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
henri2014

I think Bob will wait until Koivu Theo Ribeiro Ryder Markov and Komisarek are signed before signing another UFA. If Hamrlik is gone by then well we stil have a strong team and space under the cap but if he is there we know exactly how much money we can to spend.

Closed Thread