HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Encompassing Mike Gillis Thread

View Poll Results: Rate Mike Gillis
Excellent GM 30 9.12%
Good GM 126 38.30%
Average GM 88 26.75%
Poor GM 50 15.20%
Terrible GM 35 10.64%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Soth

vCash: 500
The All-Encompassing Mike Gillis Thread

I love me some Mike Gillis. I think the guy is amazing, yet I see so many posts around here saying 'How have we not fired this bozo yet?' and I just scratch my head.

Every GM makes mistakes, and Gillis has made a few small ones here and there (My biggest complaint was keeping Raymond over Grabner) but the good far outweighs the bad imo.

5 years without missing the playoffs! 5 Division titles. 2 Pres trophies. The first cup final since 1994, which I really felt we got unlucky with injuries not to win.

I think a lot of people forget the days where the Canucks had bad teams for years and years on end. This guy does something every year to make the team better. This season the cap went down and I really thought he was going to be forced to just 'do nothing' since he had no cap room. But he made some small but effective changes to the line up bring in Santo and Richardson.

I look at Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Buffalo and I see what the canucks used to be and could easily be again without Gillis at the helm.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing if it is just a few noisy posters that dislike Gillis or if there is a majority.

Last edited by thepuckmonster: 02-02-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

vCash: 50
He has made some great moves (Ehrhoff, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Torres, Tanev, Santorelli, etc) and some questionable moves, but overall I feel like he's a good GM.
There are times where I feel like he could have gotten more in a trade (cough Schneider cough), and the timing of some moves I wasn't a fan of (he who shall not be named for Kassian, felt like it would make more sense in the off-season and I felt like we should have been able to get a bit more in return as well), but no GM is perfect.

The good outweighs the bad.

If not for a series of unlucky events I feel like we would have had a much better chance at winning the cup, and if it had happened so many people wouldn't be so anti-Gillis.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar

Last edited by Nuckles: 01-23-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old
01-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
Good GM, his track record speaks for itself.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Said average but rather is above average

Old
01-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Mike Gillis is no Brian Burke... or even Mike Milbury.

Old
01-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Hammer79

He's good, has had some great moves and some questionable ones. No GM wins every trade. He's handled the media very well, without the embarrassing tirades of Burke or some other GM's. I'll bump him up to excellent if his team ever wins the cup.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:12 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

He's been Average.

He's had some really good moves, some good moves, some bad moves, and some really bad moves.

I disagree with the notion that he's handled the media well. I find him to be quite arrogant and condescending. We are an intelligent fanbase, however he treats us like we're stupid. Instead of admitting mistakes or blunders, he blindly defends them and tries to convince us they were the right move when everybody and their grandmother knows that they were huge mistakes.

I think his strengths lie in his signings, he's made some very good acquisitions, from Hamhuis & Garrison to guys like Stanton and Santorelli.

His weakness is obviously in trades. The Hodgson/Kassian trade had horrible timing, and he completely missed the window on Luongo.

Aside from timing, he also lacks the ability to accurately gauge the trade market, which cost him bigtime in the Luongo situation by demanding too much, and again in the Schneider situation by not gaining enough of a return.

It really tells you something when multiple GM's come out and claim that had they known that the player (Hodgson, and then later Schneider) was on the market, they would've offered a better package than what was accepted by the Canucks. The failure of Gillis to start a bidding war on his cheapest and most cap friendly, young and very talented players who were at the height of their trade value was a huge blunder on his part.

Overall i'd say that Gillis started off quite nicely with the Canucks, and his performance as GM in the first few years falls somewhere between Good and Excellent.

However I feel that he's gotten progressively worse over the past three years, with his performance falling to somewhere between Average and Poor.

Arriving at a happy medium, I rated him as Average, but definitely trending downwards.

AV was the first to go (and with good reason), if the Canucks have another poor showing this season, I see no reason why Gillis should have a job with the organization by the summer.

Last edited by SillyRabbit: 01-24-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old
01-24-2014, 05:17 AM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

I think Gillis has made some bad decisions. Choosing players he feels can replace others has been a disaster. Ehrhoff, Grabner and Hodgson were huge mistakes for me. Yes he brought in Ehrhoff which was great but then let him go? The gamble to acquire Ballard at the cost of Grabner and our 1st... who really couldn't see the potential in Grabner? I understand Hodgson had to go based on what we have all heard, and I do believe Kassian can pan out to balance this trade. However, the timing was awful. Hodgson was improving every game and becoming an important contributor for the Canucks. Drop him for a complete question mark? If you can't get a blue chipper who can replace or surpass his production, at least acquire someone who could replace or surpass Hodgson's. Leaving a gaping hole was devastating. He is great at acquiring 'free' assets, possibly good contract negotiations, but I really don't trust his judgement as our GM any longer. I don't think he can make the moves to make us a serious contender during his reign. Very disappointing.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:19 AM
BoHorvatFan

Hard to say because he's one of the few gms's who's never built his own core. So who knows how he'd do if he had to start from the bottom instead of just putting the supporting pieces around the young ready to break out core he inherited. He's never had to worry about his starting goaltending which is a huge advantage. In fact he inherited such great goaltending it became a controversy for being too good! He's never had to acquire a top 6 center which is amazing since he's been our GM for almost 6 years, but what a luxury that is since it's such a difficult position to fill. He's made some good moves and some bad moves, he's average, average Mike.

Since trade deadline 2011 he sure as hell hasn't done a very good job. His failure to bring in scoring help has been his biggest flaw, also letting his transition game fall apart.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:22 AM
ghostingtaro

I disagree on how the Schneider trade made Gillis a horrible GM.

In the end, it did not hurt us fast forward this season and we have a future in Horvat.

Calgary and Edmonton both were interested in Schneider, but they were not willing to move the assets to obtain him.

Gillis looked like he was aiming for Horvat from the beginning and when you take a look at the 2013 draft, most teams in the Top 10 did not look like they were willing to trade away their pick and were not interested in a goaltender as the market has too many of them.

But apparently fans are expecting some HUGE major package back in for Schneider which is a joke.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:23 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Since the SCF he's been pretty bad, nah he's been a mess and with how fast this team has declined since 2011 is proof of that. This team is declining and falling fast and there's no safely net in place. I don't even think Gillis knows what he wants to do. I don't think he'll lose his job cause he can spin this as the other GM core and now he can build his with this core falling apart.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:24 AM
BoHorvatFan

Also I think he will regret the Sedin extensions and all the NTC's going forward. He'll need to make some trades with free agency being so weak, plus he can't sign anyone unless they're from this province anyways.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:27 AM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
He's been Average.

He's had some really good moves, some good moves, some bad moves, and some really bad moves.

I disagree with the notion that he's handled the media well. I find him to be quite arrogant and condescending. We are an intelligent fanbase, however he treats us like we're stupid. Instead of admitting mistakes or blunders, he blindly defends them and tries to convince us they were the right move when everybody and their grandmother knows that they were huge mistakes.

I think his strengths lie in his signings, he's made some very good acquisitions, from Hamhuis & Garrison to guys like Stanton and Santorelli.

His weakness is obviously in trades. The Hodgson/Kassian trade had horrible timing, and he completely missed the window on Luongo.

Aside from timing, he also lacks the ability to accurately gauge the trade market, which cost him bigtime in the Luongo situation by demanding too much, and again in the Schneider situation by not gaining enough of a return.

It really tells you something when multiple GM's come out and claim that had they known that the player (Hodgson, and then later Schneider) was on the market, they would've offered a better package than what was accepted by the Canucks. The failure of Gillis to start a bidding war on his cheapest and most cap friendly, young and very talented players who were at the height of their trade value was a huge blunder on his part.

Overall i'd say that Gillis started off quite nicely with the Canucks, and his performance as GM in the first few years falls somewhere between Good and Excellent.

However I feel that he's gotten progressively worse over the past three years, with his performance falling to somewhere between Average and Poor.

Arriving at a happy medium, I rated him as Average, but definitely trending downwards.

AV was the first to go (and with good reason), if the Canucks have another poor showing this season, I see no reason why Gillis should have a job with the organization by the summer.
Agree strongly. Saw this after my post...
The Lu situation was embarrassing, the return for Schneider was pretty weak as we could have got more than the one pick. MG basically letting AV mistreat Ballard all that time after all those assets were given up?

Old
01-24-2014, 05:30 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Also I think he will regret the Sedin extensions and all the NTC's going forward. He'll need to make some trades with free agency being so weak, plus he can't sign anyone unless they're from this province anyways.
Gillis has no trades to make, he won't ask players to waive and everyone who has value has a NTC, not only is he giving those things out like candy he's now attaching them to horrible cap hit contracts like Sedins at 7 million for 4 more season, I thought the idea with NTc is to get the player cheaper.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:32 AM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
This too. He started good, that all went to hell.

Old
01-24-2014, 05:53 AM
CanuckLuck

Gillis has created a winning culture. He's able to identify the problems on our team and often has a solid solution. For this he is a good GM.

There have been questionable decisions along the way, but if there weren't, i'm afraid he wouldn't be doing anything. The nature of the business is to screw up too - It's just whether or not you do more harm than foul that dictates how good you are.

If you think this Gillis is doing a terrible job it is simply not possible for any man in his position to satisfy you.

Old
01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Gillis has created a winning culture. He's able to identify the problems on our team and often has a solid solution. For this he is a good GM.

There have been questionable decisions along the way, but if there weren't, i'm afraid he wouldn't be doing anything. The nature of the business is to screw up too - It's just whether or not you do more harm than foul that dictates how good you are.

If you think this Gillis is doing a terrible job it is simply not possible for any man in his position to satisfy you.
Maybe try posting something tangible to explain why you think this instead of making a blanket statement with buzzwords that don't mean anything.

Old
01-24-2014, 07:38 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Going to say excellent, despite some serious issues.

Worst thing the organization has done is get away from what they were building that was so successful in 2011 and lost in game 7 of the cup final.

After that they decided they needed to be more like the Boston's/LA's of the world and have made an emphasis of trying to get big fast guys who don't necessarily have the top end skill to be point producers consistently.

The only real other move that frustrated me was the Roy trade at last year's deadline, only because the Canucks were not close and it was just throwing away a 2nd round pick a-la Nonis/Burke eras.

Old
01-24-2014, 07:42 AM
MikeK

vCash: 417
I think he's a good GM

Old
01-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Moore Money

average to below average for sure. A good GM addresses team needs.

Old
01-24-2014, 08:11 AM
thenextone

I think Gillis wanted a youth movement but ownership would rather have the 2 games of playoff revenue

Old
01-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think he is a good GM, but sometimes you just run your course at the helm too long is all. That said, he's done nothing to get himself a worthy canning yet. He had an excellent draft last year, IMO. I may have said the same last summer, but this next offseason are where all the marbles lie. Fans may get restless being a (trying to find correct words) bubble playoff team. I can't speak for others but making it to the playoffs to find yourself ousted in the first round with so little resistance gets disappointing.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:06 AM
J Canuck
Canuck Lifer

Slightly above average, enough that I voted 'good'. Some good moves, some bad ones. I regret losing some of the D, but it hasn't really hurt us. This is a terrible trade market for a GM to maneuver in. Can anyone think of a GM around the league that's really shining this year for comparison?

Old
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Bleach Clean

I'll rate him as excellent. No GM is infallible. I didnt like the Schneider deal, but beyond that one, theres a real methodology to what he does. A focus. Unlike most GMs in the league.

He can be largely conservative, and then pull out a Hodgson/Kassian trade. So he's got patience, but will take risks now and again. Not a lot of GMs are like that, more erring on the side of caution.

Overall, he's got to continually improve the drafting to leave his mark on this team.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

When he can pick up two guys like Santorelli and Stanton, while giving up no assets, and the team really feels it when those two are out of the line up, I think he's doing something right.

Closed Thread