HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers protected/avail list released

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Trottier]As an NYI fan, I can assure you that it is a positive sign. The guy who just a few years back was this team's top offensive gun (on a pitiful team), has been surpassed in camp by some promising young players (Papineau, Hunter, etc.). Whether that translates into any success whatsoever for the team once the regular season starts remains to be seen. But Chow is deadwood, a safety net signed in the event none of the kids impressed.
QUOTE]

You could look at it that the kids have impressed... I think its probably more so that the polish prince just sucks right now. He was a decent player but that time has long passed. I dont know what MM was thinking. When an AHL team has someone sitting at the end of the bench it should be a sign.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:05 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

certainly an interesting day for hockey fans... puts the Lindros for Cujo rumors to bed now doesn't it ?
I think the two most surprising teams were Montreal and Florida, with the habs exposing dykhuis and Traverse, while the panthers let novoseltsev and bednar go up front, with trnka available on the blueline.

I think trnka, dykhuis and traverse all can help the rangers blueline.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Therien - what is his injury history? something tells me he's slowing down but he's probably a better fit than malakhov.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
You could look at it that the kids have impressed... I think its probably more so that the polish prince just sucks right now. He was a decent player but that time has long passed. I dont know what MM was thinking. When an AHL team has someone sitting at the end of the bench it should be a sign.
Or both! :p

Actually, Papineau apparently really has been looking good. (I say apparently because no Isle pre-season games are televised. All we have are satellite shots from the Voyager spacecraft and sporadic reports from Mexican radio. :p

But, your take on Chow is likely spot on. A few NYI fans cling to the glory years of 1998-2000 , when Chow was collecting shiny individual offensive stats...on the worst team in the league. (There's a few guys like that league-wide, and they are all overrated, IMO: Berezin, Savage, Audette, etc.) He always was a uni-dimensional player, who adds nothing if he is not scoring. Perhaps he's even lost that, who knows? Had a feeling he might fail miserably in Stirling's defensive system, and the coach intimates as much in tomorrow's Newsday.

Bottom line: you don't win with players like that.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Or both! :p

Actually, Papineau apparently really has been looking good. (I say apparently because no Isle pre-season games are televised. All we have are satellite shots from the Voyager spacecraft and sporadic reports from Mexican radio. :p

But, your take on Chow is likely spot on. A few NYI fans cling to the glory years of 1998-2000 , when Chow was collecting shiny individual offensive stats...on the worst team in the league. (There's a few guys like that league-wide, and they are all overrated, IMO: Berezin, Savage, Audette, etc.) He always was a uni-dimensional player, who adds nothing if he is not scoring. Perhaps he's even lost that, who knows? Had a feeling he might fail miserably in Stirling's defensive system, and the coach intimates as much in tomorrow's Newsday.

Bottom line: you don't win with players like that.
Agreed, you dont win with those guys.

It's probably a combo of Czerkawski sucking and Papineau looking good in pre-season. Why they wasted money on Chow is beyond me... doesnt exactly fit the defensive style the Isles are playing.... would have spent there money better grabbing a guy like Arvedsson.... oh well, another bad move by mad mike, he really should get fired, i think hes terrible. just looks at his trades, most of them were a joke (Luongo, Bertuzzi, Jokkinen to name just a few.) Altho this coach he brought in looks good so far.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:11 PM
BLACKBURN

Id definitely pick up Lihtner and expose nycholat. Even just as deph in hartford it would be a good pick up.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:17 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Litner signed in Sweden and would not be available for this season

Old
10-02-2003, 04:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Id definitely pick up Lihtner and expose nycholat. Even just as deph in hartford it would be a good pick up.

I think that any player you claim in the waiver draft you have to keep in the NHL for the entire season.

10-02-2003, 04:43 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
Therien - what is his injury history? something tells me he's slowing down but he's probably a better fit than malakhov.
Therien doesn't have an injury history, he's about as durable a player the Flyers have. Also hasn't lost a step.

Good solid defensive defenseman, only thing that will frustrate you is that he doesn't use his size as much as he should. IMO every bit the defenseman that Kaspar & Bobo are, better than Purinton, and not all that far behind De Vries.

Therien is +130 in his career (in the top 10 in the NHL over the past 9 years) that has been spent playing against the opponents top lines on a regular basis.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I think that any player you claim in the waiver draft you have to keep in the NHL for the entire season.
I don't believe that is true. The only caveat to sending a waiver claim player to the minors is that he must go through waivers to get there. This is perfectly fine if you were the only team that wanted said player, not so if other teams desired him as well.

If I remember correctly, we claimed Fata through the draft and sent him to the minors that year, but he had to clear waivers to do so.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
...Good solid defensive defenseman, only thing that will frustrate you is that he doesn't use his size as much as he should...
Ooh, perfect fit then. He'll fit in quite well with Poti, Malakhov, and Mironov.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf
I don't believe that is true. The only caveat to sending a waiver claim player to the minors is that he must go through waivers to get there. This is perfectly fine if you were the only team that wanted said player, not so if other teams desired him as well.

If I remember correctly, we claimed Fata through the draft and sent him to the minors that year, but he had to clear waivers to do so.

I don't think Fata was a waiver draft claim. He was just a claim.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf
Ooh, perfect fit then. He'll fit in quite well with Poti, Malakhov, and Mironov.
Not as physical as you would like, but still good defensively.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:49 AM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Alot of you are forgetting that we got Andres Johansson in the waiver draft and that year he was in sweden, the next year he was signed and played with the Rangers.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39
Alot of you are forgetting that we got Andres Johansson in the waiver draft and that year he was in sweden, the next year he was signed and played with the Rangers.

So?

There is no way that I would pick up someone who is not going to play on this team this season and then have to expose another player who is going to play here this season.

Old
10-02-2003, 10:09 AM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
So?

There is no way that I would pick up someone who is not going to play on this team this season and then have to expose another player who is going to play here this season.

Yes I agree. I hope we pick up a player or 2 so we can expose Simon and I hope Heerema dont get picked, If we lose Petrovicky so be it, I wish Simon was unprotected, he just takes dumb penalties.

Old
10-02-2003, 10:25 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39
I hope we pick up a player or 2 so we can expose Simon
You're living in dreamland. Even if we pick up more players, do you really think that Jackass would expose his $1.5m new toy?

Old
10-02-2003, 10:48 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
You're living in dreamland. Even if we pick up more players, do you really think that Jackass would expose his $1.5m new toy?
Like it or not, Simon is here to stay. Without him, Barnaby once again becomes the Rangers resident enforcer assuming Scott is a part time player at best. That would not work.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:27 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Like it or not, Simon is here to stay.
That's my point.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:06 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Not as physical as you would like, but still good defensively.
And FAR more physical than any of the cream puffs listed. He doesn't play mean, but he's more physical than any Ranger D-man other than Kasper and Purinton. And he doesn't take himself out of the play looking for the big hit like Kasper does.

He'd be an upgrade and this is the last year on his contract.

IMO he's a no-brainer pick-up for this team. I'm not sure he gets down that far, however. He's a good veteran with mileage left. I think he'll be taken before the Rangers get their chance.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:18 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
For the first pick id want D Todd Simpson and expose Dale Purinton
For the second pick id want Sheldon Keefe or Ivan Novosetsev and expose Malakhov

Old
10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
dedalus

Oh yeah, and Therian is also pi$$ed off at the Flyers because he found out he was left unprotected through reporters rather than in a phone call from Clarke. Said Therian, "I think I'm going to be valuable for whoever I play for this year."

A guy who is motivated to excel against a division rival works well for me.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
On the subject of Chris Therien:

I wouldnt mind picking him up.. but who do we expose? (sather wont expose Simon, best bet would be Malakhov)

But, where do we play him? hes a no doubt upgrade over Purinton so without leetch, he cracks the lineup. With a healhty Leetch, would you remove bobo or Malahkov for Therien?

Old
10-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
wait a second, we cant pickup Therien, the rule states you cannot take anyone from your own division

Old
10-02-2003, 05:42 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 26
wait a second, we cant pickup Therien, the rule states you cannot take anyone from your own division
So lets Pick Todd Simpson. He is more physical than Therian and will fight and has more skill too.

Closed Thread