HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1904 McGill Hockey - Action Picture

Old
01-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1904 McGill Hockey - Action Picture

Interesting photo from 1904, a hockey game in progress on the lower campus rink at McGill University in Montreal. seems that there are three distinct jerseys on the ice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1904McGillhockey.jpg‎ (20.3 KB, 30 views)

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting. Could be a few reasons for that.

1) They didnt have enough striped or solid jerseys to go around but as both were dark, just mixed them up against the lights worn by the opposition or;

2) It was deliberate, the Defenseman wearing a dark solid, the Rover & Forwards wearing stripes or...

3) That photographs been re-touched.

At least they werent playing Skins vs Shirts huh? Looks a bit cold for that?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

The goalie is in a pretty good athletic crouch; leaning forward a bit. I find that interesting because I recall seeing pictures of goalies in the early days of the NHL standing very tall with hardly any crouch. Might have just been the pose for the picture though.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Well, fact is it looks like a daguerreotype photograph of a pen & ink rendering of that era. A picture of a print or a print. Not sure which. The scene though looking natural enough upon further scrutiny seeming far to posed for my liking.... Yes, Im calling it a fake LBD... ya hear me C58? Lets see your provenance on that sucker. Wheres the photographers signature on the plate? Its too "perfect". And sure, I see the flaws there. Looks like water or acid stain droplets. Nice touch.... Just what are you trying to sell here Mister?

Old
01-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Cruor

With the risk of outing my ignorance, how far back does professional hockey date in Canada? Most association football clubs in Europe have their founding dates in the late 19th century for comparison.

Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Canadiens1958

Provenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ Well, fact is it looks like a daguerreotype photograph of a pen & ink rendering of that era. A picture of a print or a print. Not sure which. The scene though looking natural enough upon further scrutiny seeming far to posed for my liking.... Yes, Im calling it a fake LBD... ya hear me C58? Lets see your provenance on that sucker. Wheres the photographers signature on the plate? Its too "perfect". And sure, I see the flaws there. Looks like water or acid stain droplets. Nice touch.... Just what are you trying to sell here Mister?
Provenance:

Source: Library and Archives Canada/Library of Parliament collection/C-017831
Public Domain. Credit: Notman and Son.
nlc-5766

fairly well known .

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Aha. Theres the clue I needed. Wm Notman & Son produced over 450,000 photographs & (heres the answer) composite photographs throughout the 19th Century. A composite photograph which is what I believe this to be is using a painted background plate. You then lay in individual photos mixed with further individual subjects that are also painted or drawn in pen & ink in a realistic scene. So some of its real photography, some of it drawn & painted by hand, then a full photo taken of the entire plate & scene.... so those guys in the striped jerseys likely lay-in photos, the other grouped players in solid dark & lights photos as in a collage. The spectators as well likely real people, real photos & dropped in. Primitive photoshop.

Old
02-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting. Could be a few reasons for that.
They weren't very strict about uniforms back in the day, sometimes some players of a team would have new sweaters while other still wore their older ones, as long as they were reasonably similar. In this case it looks like white versus dark, so there would be no trouble with different sweaters being use.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
They weren't very strict about uniforms back in the day...
No they wouldnt have been, come as you are, just wear dark or light, old or new, no matter, make do. Though in this case I do wonder if it isnt early photoshop. Some of those players seem out of step, out of time & out of place.