HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 5-2

Old
02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
I feel bad for him. Even he knows his coaching career is going downhill, based on that gesture.
I was surprised how the Canucks looked uninspired for a passionate coach like him. I mean the Rangers looked a much more tough team to play against when he coached there.

Anyway i'm happy for the win. Habs almost looked like last year last night.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Great win last night. Price is in some kind of zone right now!

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:57 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
to quote maher: how far up your ass did you have to go to find this one?
Maybe for the benefit of your reading skills I should have used a

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Kriss E

I cannot believe we allowed 40+ shots yesterday versus such a depleted Nucks team. If that was their actual team, they'd be a lottery team.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 06:48 AM
le_sean

Yes, Plekanec dove on the penalty that led to the first goal. But I find it quite amusing when Kesler of all players threw his arms up complaining about it.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:14 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
Nothing wrong about it. Meanwhile this little pot or kettle goes out of his way to bash Halak on a regular basis, even when the guy gets a shutout YOU said its because of his awesome defense. The guy is a good goalie that can elevate his game. Nothing wrong with saying it. But I saw just yesterday on this board -for no reason-people still bringing up Halak and saying he is complete garbage now. How is that even justified.
Halak is a whole other story. He hasn't played well for a while now. And I think St. Louis will go and get another goalie. It's not that Halak is bad, but he's not playing well right now and their window is open. They have to do something about it.

People probably wouldn't even bother talking about Halak if he wasn't on a team favoured by many to win the cup. It is a big topic of discussion over there dude. No secret they're trying hard for Miller either so I don't see why this would bother you. That's just "around the league" kind of talk that happens on every message board.
Quote:
Either let it go, or stop whining when people rightly critique price when he lets in a softie or blows a game.
I have zero problem when people "rightly" criticize Price for blowing a save. Happened twice the other night against Winnipeg. When they say he "blew" the game though... it's not justified. Can't think of too many games Price has blown this season dude. And for whatever weird reason, there's still a few folks who seem upset about it. Don't know why, but for some folks it's there.

And like I said, if he starts and loses at the Olympics, those folks will be back in full force talking about how he can't win. Book it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I cannot believe we allowed 40+ shots yesterday versus such a depleted Nucks team. If that was their actual team, they'd be a lottery team.
I was surprised by the shot total. Didn't seem like Price was peppered yesterday. Lots of shots but the scoring chances aren't as crazy as some of the other games we've seen recently. Price was solid but he didn't have to make those crazy saves that he has in recent weeks. And we actually looked like the better team for most of the game. Team went to sleep in parts of the 3rd but otherwise we were in control most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yes, Plekanec dove on the penalty that led to the first goal. But I find it quite amusing when Kesler of all players threw his arms up complaining about it.
Pleks definitely dove on that one.
Quote:
Because they weren't bandwagoners. Price was putrid at times and deserved to be critisized. It only Price homers like yourself that see it otherwise. Price had a bad stretch recently but he has played very goo the rest of the year so I didn't bother> funny how its the price jock riders that are the one who always bring up Halak to bash him. When CP gets past second round I will call him a great goalie, till then he is a good regular season goalie. Nothing more nothing less. You have to elevate your game in the post season, he has yet to do that. Same old same old.
You can elevate your game all you want. If you're behind a crappy team you won't advance. This team without Price is a lottery pick. We shouldn't be going into the postseason at all.

Stupid to sit there and point to him if we don't go to the 2nd round.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Maybe. But I thought he simply lost his balance and slipped when he tried to make a tight turn. Either way, it was a bad call. One that worked in a favor.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I was surprised by the shot total. Didn't seem like Price was peppered yesterday. Lots of shots but the scoring chances aren't as crazy as some of the other games we've seen recently. Price was solid but he didn't have to make those crazy saves that he has in recent weeks. And we actually looked like the better team for most of the game. Team went to sleep in parts of the 3rd but otherwise we were in control most of the time.
I saw half the game and felt it was pretty even. Price had to make some key saves from guys in the slot quite a few times. They weren't highlight reel saves, but tough nonetheless and still showed how poorly positioned we were. Saw the same defensive breakdowns.
Maybe it was different in the 1st and halfway through the 2nd.

If we weren't constantly getting outshot, I wouldn't really care because games like this will happen, but this is too much of a recurring theme.
Our possession numbers aren't good.

Last edited by Kriss E: 02-07-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:34 AM
brian70

Quote:
Halak is a whole other story. He hasn't played well for a while now. And I think St. Louis will go and get another goalie. It's not that Halak is bad, but he's not playing well right now and their window is open. They have to do something about it.

People probably wouldn't even bother talking about Halak if he wasn't on a team favoured by many to win the cup. It is a big topic of discussion over there dude. No secret they're trying hard for Miller either so I don't see why this would bother you. That's just "around the league" kind of talk that happens on every message board.

I have zero problem when people "rightly" criticize Price for blowing a save. Happened twice the other night against Winnipeg. When they say he "blew" the game though... it's not justified. Can't think of too many games Price has blown this season dude. And for whatever weird reason, there's still a few folks who seem upset about it. Don't know why, but for some folks it's there.

And like I said, if he starts and loses at the Olympics, those folks will be back in full force talking about how he can't win. Book it.

Pleks definitely dove on that one.
Like Desharnais?

I've criticized DD quite a lot in the past, saying this team would never make it with him as a center. I must admit he's gained his confidence back and is producing quite a lot. So, as much as I prefer Eller as a center and hate the way he's been treated (remember how Halak was pushed aside despite good performances for the benefit of Price?), Desharnais is doing what he needs to do to help the team and that's creating scoring chances.

I've defended Halak, although I didn't want Price to be the one traded, just like I've defended Eller. Yet, David deserves a lot more praise for his contribution than hate when he's not producing or when he loses the puck.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:36 AM
No Team Needed

People who think we're a lottery team without Price have no idea how bad the eastern conference is.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Halak is a whole other story. He hasn't played well for a while now.
Totally OT, but it's like you missed the entire month of January, when he was 6-2 with a 1.70 GAA and 0.939 SV%. Or stopped 36/38 in an OT win against the Bruins last night.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
Like Desharnais?

I've criticized DD quite a lot in the past, saying this team would never make it with him as a center. I must admit he's gained his confidence back and is producing quite a lot. So, as much as I prefer Eller as a center and hate the way he's been treated (remember how Halak was pushed aside despite good performances for the benefit of Price?), Desharnais is doing what he needs to do to help the team and that's creating scoring chances.
Desharnais produces some scoring chances but is he helping the team? Goes back to what I've been saying.... Name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back.

As for Halak being "pushed aside" sure seems like the right decision now doesn't it? And we got Eller for him. Not sure why people keep bringing him up in this thread either.
Quote:
I've defended Halak, although I didn't want Price to be the one traded, just like I've defended Eller. Yet, David deserves a lot more praise for his contribution than hate when he's not producing or when he loses the puck.
DD does get hate when he produces and I don't understand it.

But count me among those who thinks the team would be better off without him. If you want an explanation as to why, you can read my posts on him. Its not personal, but he's not really helping us win the way you might think he is. But that's a topic for the DD thread I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
People who think we're a lottery team without Price have no idea how bad the eastern conference is.
29th in 5 on 5 scoring and 24th overall... Against Washington we get outshot 25-3 halfway through the game... I mean we have stunk out the joint a lot this season. We've been fighting for our lives for a playoff spot WITH Price playing great hockey.

We've been terrible this year man. We'd be a lottery team without a doubt.

Old
02-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Totally OT, but it's like you missed the entire month of January, when he was 6-2 with a 1.70 GAA and 0.939 SV%. Or stopped 36/38 in an OT win against the Bruins last night.
I don't think he's a bad goalie. As I said long ago, he turned out to be a pretty solid starter in his career. But hot streak or not, there's no way St. Louis trusts this guy right now.

I have Halak in my hockey pools btw, I've been watching the numbers. I'm glad he's picked it up and I wish him success. He exceeded all my expectations and has carved a good career out for himself. But no, I wouldn't want him leading my team into the playoffs if I were St. Louis. I don't think they trust him either and I think they'll deal for Miller if they can.

Old
02-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
It's been shown that this Guy has missed the good part of half a decade .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
It's been shown that this Guy has missed the good part of half a decade .
Right,

Tell us again how we have the best defense in the league. Tell us again how we should dump Price for peanuts. And tell us again how drafting Fucale will save us from the dark days of goaltending that we've had to suffer through.

Go back to your cave.

Old
02-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
hot streak or not
Funny, but not unexpected to see you attempt to reduce it to that. Without a short rough patch in December (which still included stopping 25/26 shots in a 5-1 win against us, you may have forgotten), his numbers for the entire rest of the year (31/39 games at least) are 2.05 GAA, 0.922 SV%, 4 SO. So... that's some "hot streak".

Old
02-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Jesse Alexander

Quote:
29th in 5 on 5 scoring and 24th overall... We've been terrible this year man. We'd be a lottery team without a doubt.
From 5th in 5-on-5 scoring last year to 29th this year.

From a top 5 possession team to a bottom 5.

Therrien is working his magic once again.

Jesse Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Uber Coca

POV on last night's win :

+
Price
Beaulieu
Murray
Pacioretty
Desharnais
Gallagher
Plekanec
White
Bourque

-
Subban (better than most players still, but expectations are higher)
Brière

All in all, not the Canadiens best game but they got the job done against a weaker opponent for once. This season, I'm more worried when we're facing Calgary-like teams than Boston-like teams. Important win since Toronto and Ottawa are playing great hockey as of late.

Also, Diaz isn't a bad hockey player. Montreal just didn't need his presence anymore. Weise, on the other hand, brings something refreshing on the fourth line. Still early to judge... but I'm glad the crybabies will keep it shut for a while, at least during the Olympic Break.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Funny, but not unexpected to see you attempt to reduce it to that. Without a short rough patch in December (which still included stopping 25/26 shots in a 5-1 win against us, you may have forgotten), his numbers for the entire rest of the year (31/39 games at least) are 2.05 GAA, 0.922 SV%, 4 SO. So... that's some "hot streak".
You think I don't like Halak? I do. I'm not "trying to reduce" anything with him. I like the guy but I just don't think that he's a guy I'd want to go with if I was St. Louis. And dude... forget this "without this stretch" or "that stretch" stuff... the guy lost his job to Elliot for a while there. He's sitting at .915 on the year with one of the best teams in the league in front of him.

Be honest, would you want to go into the postseason this year if you were the Blues?

Here's his gamelog man. He's been good lately but you're seriously stretching it if you think that was just a little blip in December. He's been inconsistent:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3734/gamelog/

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You think I don't like Halak? I do. I'm not "trying to reduce" anything with him. I like the guy but I just don't think that he's a guy I'd want to go with if I was St. Louis. And dude... forget this "without this stretch" or "that stretch" stuff... the guy lost his job to Elliot for a while there.
You and Watsatheo make a good team. You're the one who said "hot streak aside", completely glossing over his much larger overall body of work this year.

Quote:
Be honest, would you want to go into the postseason this year if you were the Blues?
Why wouldn't I? He's 24-8-4 and playing above replacement.

Old
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Doublechin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
on pace for less than 50 pts is NOT good...
Slow start

Since then 36-9-21-30

That's an almost 68 point pace, can't really criticize that and such a challenged team when it comes to scoring goals.

Doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:30 AM
brian70

Quote:
Desharnais produces some scoring chances but is he helping the team? Goes back to what I've been saying.... Name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back.

As for Halak being "pushed aside" sure seems like the right decision now doesn't it? And we got Eller for him.
Considering he sets up Pacioretty like no other, he is helping the team. The reason Max likes him so much is probably because DD is always looking for him. But it works, doesn't it?

As for Halak being pushed aside, I was referring to the previous season to the playoffs run (2008-2009) when Price would get the start despite Halak doing better.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:35 AM
PricePkPatch

Someone has news on Bournival?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:40 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post

Also, Diaz isn't a bad hockey player. Montreal just didn't need his presence anymore. Weise, on the other hand, brings something refreshing on the fourth line. Still early to judge... but I'm glad the crybabies will keep it shut for a while, at least during the Olympic Break.
You're joking? Right? The Weise-Diaz trade thread is up to part 3 and there were posts in it this morning.

I would have thought that Diaz's excellent () performance last night would put an end to the whining about the trade but apparently I was wrong.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You and Watsatheo make a good team. You're the one who said "hot streak aside", completely glossing over his much larger overall body of work this year.
Substitute 'whether he's been hot or not' for "hot streak aside"... I'm not picking and choosing his hot and cold spots man.

Why do you think that I'd try to slag him? Halak has far exceeded what I thought he'd be. I think he's a solid starter but not in that top tier of goalies that I think St Louis needs to win.
Quote:
Why wouldn't I? He's 24-8-4 and playing above replacement.
Okay, I wouldn't. I'd try for an upgrade in goal. I think he's a solid goalie and he's shown that when he plays at his best he can be a difference maker. But I would go after Miller hard if I were the Blues.
Quote:
Considering he sets up Pacioretty like no other, he is helping the team. The reason Max likes him so much is probably because DD is always looking for him. But it works, doesn't it?
Other players can set up Max though. And they can play defense and score themselves while doing it.

Does it work? I don't think so. I think we're playing an inferior player in a scorng position. Our offense was doing well last year and at the start of this year when other players were given more offensive opportunity. Since we started favouring DD our offense has fallen off a cliff. So no, I don't think it's that beneficial to the team.

There's little doubt that Max seems to like DD a lot on a personal level (kind of like how Kessel likes Bozak) but that doesn't mean he should be centering our top line.
Quote:
As for Halak being pushed aside, I was referring to the previous season to the playoffs run (2008-2009) when Price would get the start despite Halak doing better.
Price had a great previous season and started that year on fire as well before getting hurt. When he came back he sucked. Coaches were banking on him returning to form and it didn't happen. Can't blame them for that though and the next season Halak (deservedly) got the starts.

I don't fault a team for going with it's starter even if that starter is slumping. Every case is different though... depends on the circumstances. And in any event, that was the year Markov got hurt right at the end and we were embarassingly outplayed by Boston in the postseason. Gongshow from top to bottom on that one.