HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/7/14 7:30pm Sharks vs Blue Jackets -- Happy Birthday Jody Shelley

Old
02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
KKurzCSN 10:50am via Twitter for iPhone Demers in? "All signs point to yes." Niemi starting #SJSharks

PollakOnSharks 10:50am via Twitter for iPhone Niemi first off ice for #SJSharks this a.m.
Seriously Todd... what does Stalock have to do? And how bad does Niemi need to be? Jeez

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Seriously Todd... what does Stalock have to do? And how bad does Niemi need to be? Jeez
You'd basically be telling Niemi he's not the starter anymore and letting him stew on that for 3 weeks. It would be a stupid move to play Stalock tonight unless you've decided he's now the starter, which would be ridiculous at this time.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
You'd basically be telling Niemi he's not the starter anymore and letting him stew on that for 3 weeks. It would be a stupid move to play Stalock tonight unless you've decided he's now the starter, which would be ridiculous at this time.
Yup. I know Stalock is now the savior to most Sharks' fans but Niemi needs to get games.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Yup. I know Stalock is now the savior to most Sharks' fans but Niemi needs to get games.
A) He's not the savior but he is clearly playing better. You reward the guy playing well with ice time.

B) Niemi needs more games? Seriously? If there is a goalie in the entire league who is less in need of more games than Niemi over the last few seasons I'd be surprised.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

3-2 Sharks
Shep-Marleau-Winger
Dubi-Horton

02-07-2014, 02:27 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 50
Quote:
This

Just gotta play in front of him.
Get er done!
Feels like Columbus has owned us for years
SJ - lost last 4
SJ - won previous 4

Feels worse to me.
Haven't beat them since Jan '12 - 6-0 at the Tank

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:32 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

I'm still grumpy at CBJ for ruining my Monty Python GDT with a loss

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Bruinguru

Quote:

B) Niemi needs more games? Seriously? If there is a goalie in the entire league who is less in need of more games than Niemi over the last few seasons I'd be surprised.
From an outside perspective, it sure seems like Niemi didn't start playing badly until they started giving him games off... Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looked that way this year...

Bruinguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
A) He's not the savior but he is clearly playing better. You reward the guy playing well with ice time.

Yeah he does he most likely won't be playing or getting any practice time being the 3rd goalie for Finland.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
stator

Quote:
I would play Stalock tonight (and myself and daughter will be there for our father-daughter dinner and Sharks night... gotta raise our kids right!).

Reason is to let Stalock get refinement and experience. I have a feel'n we'll likely use our backup goalie more in the playoffs this year than years past. Also, this would give Nemo rest for the Olympics which is probably an unwritten guideline.

Speaking of Olympics, did Team Canada get approval from the appropriate olympic committee at Sochi to replace Stamkos? I'd have to say that if this was the USSR back then, that committee would have undue pressure to not approve. The cold war extended to the gold medal count back then, clearly so.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Stash
Gonna miss this guy

4-3 Sharks

Havlat, Wingels, Desjardins, Patty

Johansen, Horton, Anisimov

Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Sharks 3-2

Marleau, Burns, Pavelski
Horton, Umberger

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

4-1 sharks

Burns x2, patty, captain shep
Dubi

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinguru View Post
From an outside perspective, it sure seems like Niemi didn't start playing badly until they started giving him games off... Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looked that way this year...
You can't expect your starter to go all 82 games of the season. The longest time between games Niemi has had was one five day stretch. He's had a four day stretch off three times this season and has started 47 of the 58 games they've had this year. He's just been inconsistent this year. He's had a few three game stretches of great goaltending but that's about as far as it has gotten until had a below average one.

In the case for starting tonight, there really isn't a wrong answer here. Stalock has earned the start and Niemi's probably not going to get much action in Sochi so he needs to start too. Coming off the break, I'd alternate them and go with the hot hand come playoff time unless one is doing fairly poor. It will still be pretty condensed down the stretch so that formula will only have mostly four day breaks between starts with one six day break near the end.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:24 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Despite how well Stalock has played, they aren't going to bench Niemi unless he turns into Cloutier and Stalock absolutely locks it down over a long period of time.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Despite how well Stalock has played, they aren't going to bench Niemi unless he turns into Cloutier and Stalock absolutely locks it down over a long period of time.
Niemi hasn't been able to string together four good games consecutively all year. Stalock has had 11 starts. He was poor in three of them. He was great in all the other eight starts. He's done about as well as you can expect from a backup and is pushing for that starter spot which is what everyone hopes for.

If Niemi gets the start tonight, which indications are saying he will, they'd be better off splitting off the rest of the games to limit his mileage this year. They'll have 24 games after the Olympics to finish. They can either alternate the starts or they can give Stalock a stretch of games and Niemi a stretch of games.

Old
02-07-2014, 04:00 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Niemi hasn't been able to string together four good games consecutively all year.
I guess starting the year 8-1-1 or winning 6 in a row at the end of November and hasn't allowed more than 3 goals in a game since Dec 31st is not stringing together four good games.

I don't think he's been at his best lately, the injuries on the team aren't exactly helping his cause and we all know Doug Wilson holds his playoff experience and cup ring in very high regard. That's mostly why I doubt he will get benched unless he completely stinks up the joint.

Old
02-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

as poor as niemi has been cant go with stalock yet more than likely rask gets the starts in sochi...

Danish Pastry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:08 PM
rangerssharks414

3-1 Jackets

Anisimov, Dubinsky, Johansen
Pavelski

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I guess starting the year 8-1-1 or winning 6 in a row at the end of November and hasn't allowed more than 3 goals in a game since Dec 31st is not stringing together four good games.

I don't think he's been at his best lately, the injuries on the team aren't exactly helping his cause and we all know Doug Wilson holds his playoff experience and cup ring in very high regard. That's mostly why I doubt he will get benched unless he completely stinks up the joint.
When he started the year 8-1-1, the New York game was a blowout where he let in 2 on 20 shots. That's not a good game for a goalie even with the dominant win. The Dallas game that was a loss in the shootout was also not a good game. The Calgary game that the team won 6-3 where he let in 3 on 19 shots was also not a good game. Just because the team performed well enough to win regardless of the goaltending doesn't mean that the goalie's perfomance was good.

The six in a row at the end of November he started off with three very good games but followed it up against St. Louis with a game that wasn't good but the team was good enough to compensate for that. 3 goals on 24 shots is not a good performance. The game after that wasn't good either with 3 goals allowed on 31 shots.

Old
02-07-2014, 04:28 PM
SharksFan1

2-1 Sharks
Marleau, Burns
Dubinsky

SharksFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:30 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
I'm still grumpy at CBJ for ruining my Monty Python GDT with a loss
That was a great GDT too, one of your best. This year mine seem to be during either the best of times or the worst of times, IE Hert's 4 goal game and his injury.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:06 PM
cjod86

Taking a 15 minute break on the pot at work, figured this was a good time for my first post in a while.

1-0 Sharks in the shootout. Shootout goals by Marleau and Boyle (winner).

cjod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:15 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Just because the team performed well enough to win regardless of the goaltending doesn't mean that the goalie's perfomance was good.
When the team performs bad and loses despite the goalie's performance, it doesn't mean it was the goalie's fault either. As I said before, he's not at his best right now but the team in front of him hasn't been helping him out at all.

Old
02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
That's how they do it for every team in the league. Once there is a declared #1, it is very difficult to unseat him. Some dramatically poor choices have been made because of this mindset. A starter is so fragile that benching him for poor play will make it worse while it is OK to do just that to a backup. Better backup goalies have been traded just because a guy has been declared #1.

The difference for the Sharks is that they overplay their starter whether it is Nemo or was Nabokov. Very few coaches play their starters as heavily as do the Sharks. It is not a paradigm with a record of success anywhere except NJ. The one team that stands out against the heavy use paradigm has been rewarded. Boston gives their #1 plenty of rest whether it is Rask or was Thomas.

My last observation is that it would be better to run a different paradigm for resting starters than is common. Not just on back-to-backs or against weaker teams. All goalies play better with regular play. Better to schedule two-week intervals for backup play and let the starter get a month to a month and half straight with the exception of b to b's. The team will experience fewer total games where the goalie is knocking off the rust.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote