HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricerStopDaPuck View Post
Hunter Smith could be an intresting pick, a huge body(6'6 210) and finding an offensive touch to his game. If he is available with our 3rd rounder I wouldn't mind that pick.
That size will likely draw interest in the 2nd round. Especially from a team that has a couple of 2nd round picks.

Old
04-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Draft

How is it possible that Ho-Sang gets 15 games? That's absolutely ludicrous based on the infraction, there has to be something else to the story.

Old
04-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
How is it possible that Ho-Sang gets 15 games? That's absolutely ludicrous based on the infraction, there has to be something else to the story.
He should have pleaded temporary insanity resulting from the intentional stick chop to the neck he received earlier in the series. (Which only got an 8 game suspension by the way).

Old
04-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I think the OHL is essentially announcing a move to suspend on the basis of injuries suffered by the victim here. They've had some past incidents where it wasn't necessarily clear how much of the suspension was due to the injury, or whether they had consistently applied the philosophy of factoring in the injury or not.

Granted, this _could_ instead just be another case of inexplicable inconsistency too.

But I think they have at least a desire to portray the league as a "squeaky clean" one where parents will want to bring their kids to play, knowing that player safety is paramount (even to the extent of unusual calls like this one resulting in lengthy suspensions). They want no unsafe plays, it's part of why they call and suspend all kinds of headshots to a much much higher standard than the NHL or other leagues too. The little push that results in a disastrous collision with the boards has been a hot topic for years, and the OHL seems to be adding that to their list of anathema actions now, with heavy-handed suspensions as their only recourse as a deterrent.

One thing I wonder is how much of this is just Branch's personal vision for the league, and how sustainable it would be after he goes (he's got to be 65 by now?). He has concentrated so much power in his own position that I don't know what the rest of the league administration does, or feels, about the whole safety-paramount crusade or the value of it as a marketing/player recruitment tool. It doesn't sit too well with most blue-collar old-school OHL fans, of course. I would think there's an element at some level in the league that would rather have major junior still be rough and tough old school hockey that prepares kids for the physical intensity and dangers of professional hockey as well, but I have no clue of the balance there or how things might play out down the road in a post-Branch OHL.

Old
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Tim Wallach

Branch has definitely been consistently tough. And he is actually trail-blazing in a lot of ways. How many times have people on this site called for an offender to sit out as long as a victim? Well, Branch is actually wading into those waters.

Is it right or wrong? We can debate that for hours, but the bottom line is that Branch is making it very clear that players will be held accountable for their actions and that his league will be a safe one for parents to send their kids to. And ultimately, that's not a horrible stance to take even though some players will pay dearly.

Personally, I'm okay with it. If Branch were with the NHL, Chara would still be in solitary.

Old
04-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Branch has definitely been consistently tough. And he is actually trail-blazing in a lot of ways. How many times have people on this site called for an offender to sit out as long as a victim? Well, Branch is actually wading into those waters.

Is it right or wrong? We can debate that for hours, but the bottom line is that Branch is making it very clear that players will be held accountable for their actions and that his league will be a safe one for parents to send their kids to. And ultimately, that's not a horrible stance to take even though some players will pay dearly.

Personally, I'm okay with it. If Branch were with the NHL, Chara would still be in solitary.
I'm generally ok with it too. The catch is consistency, and while I think that Branch has been "consistently tough", I'm not 100% convinced of the consistency in degree of toughness. I get the sense that he (and/or his deputy for player discipline) _want_ to be consistent, of course, they always do, but it's difficult to manage that, especially when your league is essentially the pioneer in new degrees of discipline at that highest level of the game.

I assume he would like to see all forms of fighting out as well, but just hasn't had the mandate or support to get away with it... yet. He has made some progressive changes to erode the prevalence of it, though. I could see it being his legacy move to go straight to the NCAA model on fighting, plus have the higher standards on other issues like this one and headshots as the OHL does. It would be quite a legacy if he could pull it off.

Old
04-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm generally ok with it too. The catch is consistency, and while I think that Branch has been "consistently tough", I'm not 100% convinced of the consistency in degree of toughness. I get the sense that he (and/or his deputy for player discipline) _want_ to be consistent, of course, they always do, but it's difficult to manage that, especially when your league is essentially the pioneer in new degrees of discipline at that highest level of the game.

I assume he would like to see all forms of fighting out as well, but just hasn't had the mandate or support to get away with it... yet. He has made some progressive changes to erode the prevalence of it, though. I could see it being his legacy move to go straight to the NCAA model on fighting, plus have the higher standards on other issues like this one and headshots as the OHL does. It would be quite a legacy if he could pull it off.

You're bang on with all of that. And while I said he has been consistent, I just meant consistently tough. But you're right in that not all crimes fit the punishment. And this is his most questionable call yet.

I also totally agree that he'd like to ban fighting but hasn't had the mandate. And while many will argue the pros and cons, as a guy who watches more than 100 live games in the OHL each year, I will give you the pros and cons I've seen so far in the new Branch era.

Pros:
- smaller, skilled players can free-wheel and entertain without fear of head shots and bully/goon tactics like in the 80s and early 90s
- though we still continue to see suspensions and incidents, there is a definite reduction in the number of predatory incidents. Charges like Liambas on Fanelli used to happen a number of times a game. Now they're almost eradicated. Players rarely take runs anymore

Cons:
- there is definitely a down-turn in intensity in the games. It's a friendlier, more benign atmosphere. That's not to say there aren't fights and incidents, but the emotion metre is well down from where it lived in the past era

Old
04-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Mathletic

Central scouting final rankings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Old
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
They have Ehlers ridiculously low. He should be top 6-7, will go top 10 overall for sure.

Old
04-08-2014, 06:03 PM
TrevorTimmins

we need a russian to fill the loss of frere andre

I'd like to see barbashev if hes available or goldobin

Old
04-08-2014, 06:51 PM
pc_md

Quote:
They have Ehlers ridiculously low. He should be top 6-7, will go top 10 overall for sure.
I don't get how 13 is ridiculously low because :

1- It's not really far from your own prediction
2- It's around that position he is placed in a lot of the main rankings...

Old
04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
Ho-Sang just got suspended for 15 games, pretty ridiculous
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Wow that´s the worst suspension I have ever seen !

15 games for something not even worth a 2 minutes ...
Quote:
ridiculous when you think Stolarz got 8 games ... might be less if London's out in the 2nd round ... and this gets Ho-Sang 15 games
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
He should have pleaded temporary insanity resulting from the intentional stick chop to the neck he received earlier in the series. (Which only got an 8 game suspension by the way).
Quote:
I think the OHL is essentially announcing a move to suspend on the basis of injuries suffered by the victim here. They've had some past incidents where it wasn't necessarily clear how much of the suspension was due to the injury, or whether they had consistently applied the philosophy of factoring in the injury or not.

Granted, this _could_ instead just be another case of inexplicable inconsistency too.

But I think they have at least a desire to portray the league as a "squeaky clean" one where parents will want to bring their kids to play, knowing that player safety is paramount (even to the extent of unusual calls like this one resulting in lengthy suspensions). They want no unsafe plays, it's part of why they call and suspend all kinds of headshots to a much much higher standard than the NHL or other leagues too. The little push that results in a disastrous collision with the boards has been a hot topic for years, and the OHL seems to be adding that to their list of anathema actions now, with heavy-handed suspensions as their only recourse as a deterrent.

One thing I wonder is how much of this is just Branch's personal vision for the league, and how sustainable it would be after he goes (he's got to be 65 by now?). He has concentrated so much power in his own position that I don't know what the rest of the league administration does, or feels, about the whole safety-paramount crusade or the value of it as a marketing/player recruitment tool. It doesn't sit too well with most blue-collar old-school OHL fans, of course. I would think there's an element at some level in the league that would rather have major junior still be rough and tough old school hockey that prepares kids for the physical intensity and dangers of professional hockey as well, but I have no clue of the balance there or how things might play out down the road in a post-Branch OHL.
Quote:

The OHL should name it the Warren Rychel Award, a little short of the Windsor Spitfire Award but more likely the appropriate name for the suspension, too bad for Ho-sang though and his actions IMO.

Old
04-09-2014, 12:40 AM
S Bah

Brett Pollock - Edmonton Oil Kings - RHC - 6'2" - 180 lbs, could be a good pick, if C. Chatham is taken already.

Old
04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorTimmins View Post
we need a russian to fill the loss of frere andre

I'd like to see barbashev if hes available or goldobin
Of those three Russian imports, Scherback, Barbashev or Goldobin which is the most likely to be a Timmins pick?

Old
04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I don't get how 13 is ridiculously low because :

1- It's not really far from your own prediction
2- It's around that position he is placed in a lot of the main rankings...
Because it's 13 in NORTH AMERICA, once you include Euros it would drop him to close to 20. He should be a lock to go by #9 or 10.

Old
04-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Brett Pollock - Edmonton Oil Kings - RHC - 6'2" - 180 lbs, could be a good pick, if C. Chatham is taken already.
Central Scouting says he is a LW?

S Bah..... surprised you haven't mentioned Ryan Rehill - RD - Kamloops
A very physical RD who improved skating this year, played in all situations,style very similar to a McQuaid/Tinordi type...good fighter...challeneged Virtanen when Calgary played in Kamloops and JV backed away and declined the invite.

Has moved up 20 spots from mid-season ranking AND moved ahead of Ben Thomas who was a choice for the Top Prospects Game

Oh ya 6'2 215 already

Old
04-09-2014, 03:02 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Because it's 13 in NORTH AMERICA, once you include Euros it would drop him to close to 20. He should be a lock to go by #9 or 10.
I knew you were going to say that: I have never seen you admit you were wrong on any thread in the past, why would it change now ...

Close to 20, really ?

Nylander and Kapanen are very close to Ehlers in most rankings so it's debatable if they would be in front of him...

And the rest is clearly behind him.

So last time I checked 13+2 = 15, not 20.

And if you find "ridiculous" that a player ranked by yourself at 10 gets ranked by someone else or drafted at 15, well, you have never watched a draft in the last 30 years: it happens every year...

On what do you base yourself to call him a top ten lock and call "ridiculous" scouts with twice your experience ?

Old
04-09-2014, 04:01 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Of those three Russian imports, Scherback, Barbashev or Goldobin which is the most likely to be a Timmins pick?
Barbashev IMO.

Good along the boards, plays with some grit, good size and just has a good all around game.

Old
04-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 332
At this point, I'd be pretty happy with Julius Honka, Dylan larkin, or Robby Fabbri

Old
04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Al MacInnis son? Biggest player in the top 50 NA ranked 20.

Anton Karlsson ranked 11 Euro , Erik brother?

Are those guys any good?

Old
04-09-2014, 10:23 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Probably Vladimir Kamenev the 6'2" - 200 lbs. LW/C playing for mike Keenan for Magnitogorsk (KHL), if he can play for "Iron Mike" he can play in the NHL.

Old
04-10-2014, 12:10 AM
dodonpa

I'd love Bleackley in the first round. Dude's a winner. Good skating and shot, go in the corner and in front of the net. He's got some leadership and can be used in any situation. He'd be a safe pick.

Also I like Dysin Mayo. He seems to be flying under the radar as the doesn't get as much attention as Aaron Irving (his partner in Edmonton) does. Timmins could use a 3rd round pick to get him. Fluid skater, good first pass, can hit and is reliable. Reminds me of a more physical Nick Leddy.

Last edited by dodonpa: 04-10-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old
04-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Who do we picked at 30th overall?

Old
04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I knew you were going to say that: I have never seen you admit you were wrong on any thread in the past, why would it change now ...

Close to 20, really ?

Nylander and Kapanen are very close to Ehlers in most rankings so it's debatable if they would be in front of him...

And the rest is clearly behind him.

So last time I checked 13+2 = 15, not 20.

And if you find "ridiculous" that a player ranked by yourself at 10 gets ranked by someone else or drafted at 15, well, you have never watched a draft in the last 30 years: it happens every year...

On what do you base yourself to call him a top ten lock and call "ridiculous" scouts with twice your experience ?
I never ranked him at 10, I said 10 is the latest he would go in my opinion, 5th or 6th would be highest.

I don't care how much experience CSR has every year they are out to lunch on a lot of players. Not sure if they only do limited viewings or overvalue size but every single year there are 4-5 players that are way out of whack.

Old
04-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Who do we picked at 30th overall?
You mean 29th, right? (NJ)

Closed Thread