HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Compensation?

Old
02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
waitin425

vCash: 500
Compensation?

Simple question...does the IOC compensate any of the pro leagues for the use of their players during the Olympics and is it a possibility?

I realize the spirit of the Olympics is Amateur Sport, but lets be realistic here. The IOC probably makes a boat load off of NHL talent playing in the Olympics, and the NHL owners stand to lose money from stopping the league for a couple of weeks. Now I know the argument is that the NHL gains exposure from the Olympics, which is a big reason why they send their players.

Does anyone envision a scenario where the NHL refuses to send their players to Korea, and the IOC, realizing that they are losing an important revenue stream, offers compensation to the NHL to sweeten the pot so to speak.

I for one will not watch Olympic hockey with a bunch semi-pro players. Juniors probably, but I know a lot of people who would not.

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

I would watch a semis and medal games any time of the day before I would watch an NHL game with little impact on actual season/Stanley cup winner. Even if it's player by Glen Metropolis of the world.

It's great to be a Canadian and expect nothing less than to beat everyone else in our national sport which is hockey.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:47 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Simple question...does the IOC compensate any of the pro leagues for the use of their players during the Olympics and is it a possibility?

I realize the spirit of the Olympics is Amateur Sport, but lets be realistic here. The IOC probably makes a boat load off of NHL talent playing in the Olympics, and the NHL owners stand to lose money from stopping the league for a couple of weeks. Now I know the argument is that the NHL gains exposure from the Olympics, which is a big reason why they send their players.

Does anyone envision a scenario where the NHL refuses to send their players to Korea, and the IOC, realizing that they are losing an important revenue stream, offers compensation to the NHL to sweeten the pot so to speak.

I for one will not watch Olympic hockey with a bunch semi-pro players. Juniors probably, but I know a lot of people who would not.
It's not NHL talent, it's the best hockey players of each one of the 12 qualified countries (or at least, in the teams GMs/coaches minds...).

If the NHL didn't exist, the players would still exist. Hockey would probably be a lesser sport though (something like hand-ball or rugby). They would still be an important part of the Winter Olympics, as the only "true" team sport (as in a team going against another team, not a best time/score thing).

And the NHL doesn't lose anything, they still play 82 regular season games per team and full playoffs. It's not as if there was a lock-out.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
almostawake

See the thing people need to realize about the involvement of NHLers in the Olympics is it is a deal negotiated between 3 parties, the NHL, the NHLPA and the IIHF.

Whatever your opinion of the deal is, it is irrelevant. They've all got together and come up with something that works for all of them.

And whatever was come up with, I assure you, the NHL has a very good idea in dollars and cents how much the IOC is making off the NHL players and they're fine with it. The owners are very rich men with millions of dollars on the line, I'm certain they a) have better information than you b) are better businessmen than you.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
waitin425

Okay so maybe I wasnt clear enough.....2 simple questions....

1) Is there compensation?
2) If not, is it possible that the IOC/IIHF would attempt to entice the NHL with compensation to allow future participation

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:44 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
If the NHL didn't exist, the players would still exist. Hockey would probably be a lesser sport though (something like hand-ball or rugby).
Hockey is not any bigger than rugby, and only marginally bigger than handball if at all.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
jekoh

Quote:
2) If not, is it possible that the IOC/IIHF would attempt to entice the NHL with compensation to allow future participation
1) No.

2) No.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Hockey is not any bigger than rugby, and only marginally bigger than handball if at all.
On popularity yes. Rugby is quite similar in fact. Low number of big national teams, but rugby is big in these countries. Hand-ball is better spread (in Europe mostly). But not such a big thing. Maybe in Germany ? In France, despite the great results of the national team, it's still way behind soccer, rugby and basket-ball when we look at the whole news coverage.

Though, I had more in mind what top players earn. NHL players earn more than top rugby players, who themselves earn way more than top hand-ball players. In that sense, without the NHL available to any good European player, European hockey would probably look like European rugby. Big in few countries, with the revenues that come with the popularity, not much considered in most though...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Okay so maybe I wasnt clear enough.....2 simple questions....

1. There is compensation. While the NHL won't let you look into details of their deal with the IOC, why do you think they had those negotiations? It was all about the NHL trying to squeeze more out of the IOC. That was also the main reason for all the whinig by NHL officials about "difficulties" they'd face letting the players play in the Olympics. All negotiation tactics. You can be sure the NHL has got a share.

2. While there is compensation already I don't think it is in any way appropriate. If I was on the IOC I would basically tell the NHL to back off with any claims. The Olympics is bigger, much bigger than any league in the world.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote