HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letang had a stroke

Old
03-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
Sure, it's a guess...but Martin was stickhandling and shooting today and working out with Kadar...doesn't sound like someone who will be out another month.
Oh I guess I missed that. Of course, Bennett has been stickhandling with Kadar for well over a month. But yeah, you're probably right.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjake5 View Post
Two stroke victims, Teddy Bruschi and Brian Mullen. Teddy came back and played four seasons. Brian tried to come back but suffered another seizure and retired. What will Letang's fate be??? And any doctor worth his salt will tell you I DON'T know!!!
True. I see a lot of people opining on whether Letang should or shouldn't return, but I would be as bold as to say that none of us on this board is expert enough to have a worthwhile opinion.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:57 PM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandvag View Post
The factor is his permanent brain damage and how his brain will respond to playing a fast game with reaction time being a huge aspect
I'm not a doctor, but I'm not sure this is how a stroke affects you, necessarily (stroke equals diminished reaction time). When you have a stroke, it is my understanding that you have a tiny blood clot that travels to the brain, through an artery, into a smaller artery, and eventually into smaller and smaller capillaries, until it travels into a small enough capillary that it gets stuck -- and thus cuts off blood flow to THAT SPECIFIC part of the brain. So, it's that specific part of the brain that has the damage. The rest of hte brain is undamaged. The smaller the clot, the smaller the capillary that the clot gets trapped in, and thus the smaller the portion of brain that is damaged. Thus, all strokes are different, affecting all different portions of the brain, and all different-sized areas of damage. So, it would be my understanding that if Letang's stroke did not affect a "motor skills" part of the brain, there may be little effect on reaction time at all, once he's healed and back to normal. Also, while part of the brain is "damaged," new neural pathways and such can form, such that "recovery" -- even for the portion of the brain that is damaged -- is also possible.

Like I say, I'm not a doctor, but this is my understanding through knowing several friends and family members who have had brain-type injuries...

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Joejosh999

Strokes are in two modes.
Blood CLOT as you describe.
Vs. blood LEAKAGE where a blood vessel breaks somewhere in the brain and causes bleeding which causes pressure as the blood spillage fills space.....

The danger in diagnosis is determining one vs the other : if CLOT you give blood thinners.....if LEAK you do NOT.

It's clear Letang is in the Clot category.

He may have been subject to mini clots all his life, which resulted in his history of migraines.
All of these events cause microscopic damage to the brain, visible as "white spots/matter" on scans.....all are risk factors for dementia onset later.

Women on birth control undergo these same risks as clots are a side effect.

If the Drs are still not certain if the PFO is the cause, I hope Letang does NOT return until thee is more clarity.
Next event could be far more serious.

Joejosh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:03 PM
joeyjake5

[QUOTE=Joejosh999;81861555]Strokes are in two modes.
In response to JOEJOSH999
If mini clots were the cause of his migraines, it seems to me the only way to prevent it again is to keep him on blood thinners. But now, he is off blood thinners so IMO he is likely still to have migraines caused by the mini clots that could possibly lead to another stroke. I hope his doctors know what they are doing.

]

joeyjake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
robitaille20

Kind of off-topic, but when was this? I don't even remember him wearing 20 in the preseason?

EDIT: Never mind. It was the 2007 Rookie Tournament. Man, the second I ask the question, I find the answer on my own...

robitaille20 is offline   Reply With Quote