HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Got to like December

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
Got to like December

Well, here we go AGAIN. A month that comes every year, you can see it coming. It's the one after November. It's known as the month of the great slide. The last few seasons injuries caused the great slide, last year it was the rain. This year may be blamed on bigfoot. DT is still happy huh? He must be a fan of eggnog, because he's drinking something affecting his judgement. By the end of this month, the beloved Kings will be fighting for one of the last remaining playoff spots where in November they held one comfortably. In March will pick up an inaffective aging vet to help stabilize a hurting PP and lagging offense. But the Vet will have a tough time fitting in and tweaks the chemistry to start the finger pointing.

IT's begun.

Solution;
Blow the team up before it blows itself up. We are not really close to compete for the cup realistically anyway. Time for the often talked about youth movement.

10 things to do

1. Change the locks on the door so Luc can't get in.
2. Dump JR.
3. Move a highly prized Demetra for high end young D talent.
4. Move Army, Miller for picks or prospects.
5. Move Matty for top picks and\or prospects.
6. Replace Van......... and any other coach not taking responsibility for this annual suck fest.
7-10. Other stuff that I'm not smart enough to think of

Old
12-15-2005, 10:07 AM
took420s

Wow!

I mean wow have you jumped ship or what?

Grab ahold of yourself man! Its bad but let's not get carried away. Changes need to be made obviously but blow up the team?

That is crazy talk.

Old
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
mrc23

We need Jamie Storr.

Old
12-15-2005, 11:43 AM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc23
We need Jamie Storr.
Please tell me yur joking.

I think Potvin and Cechmanek are avaliable also!

Old
12-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
Wow!

I mean wow have you jumped ship or what?

Grab ahold of yourself man! Its bad but let's not get carried away. Changes need to be made obviously but blow up the team?

That is crazy talk.
Why is it crazy to talk this way? Maybe you like what you're seeing in this years team?

I see the same type of team that we've had for the last few seasons. Aging vets, inconsistant scorers, poor special teams. Yep, seems like the same team we've had for 3-4 years. Blow it up, keep all the kids, add more young talented kids, cut the fat. What the worst thing that will happen, not make the playoffs..again?
Don't get me wrong, it's great to look like we're competing for the cup. The reality is that LA is going to compete for a 7-8th playoff spot, again. Meet up with a club that is top 5 in PP and PK. And we'll be 1 and done. I say try and get as much young stud talent as possible, and compete for real in 2-3 years Call me crazy.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Why is it crazy to talk this way? Maybe you like what you're seeing in this years team?

I see the same type of team that we've had for the last few seasons. Aging vets, inconsistant scorers, poor special teams. Yep, seems like the same team we've had for 3-4 years. Blow it up, keep all the kids, add more young talented kids, cut the fat. What the worst thing that will happen, not make the playoffs..again?
Don't get me wrong, it's great to look like we're competing for the cup. The reality is that LA is going to compete for a 7-8th playoff spot, again. Meet up with a club that is top 5 in PP and PK. And we'll be 1 and done. I say try and get as much young stud talent as possible, and compete for real in 2-3 years Call me crazy.
I liked the first 2 months and I think that it was not a fluke. Changes need to be made but blowing up the team just sounds too drastic at this point IMO. If we are at this point in Feb. I will say I was wrong.

I hope I'm not cuz I have many more games to go to.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:32 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
1. Change the locks on the door so Luc can't get in.
It won't do any good.

Robitaille died during the lockout. It's his ghost that now haunts the ice in Staples Centre-floating around, passing through corporeal objects like pucks, and the majority of the time, you can't see him but on occasion you'll see something at the corner of your screen and ask yourself:" W...Was that a Robitaille?" But he's gone in a flash, so you just convince yourself that it was just an optical illusion, your mind playing tricks on you...but he's there, oh yes, he's there and he won't rest until the record for most franchise goals is his...MUWAHAHAHAHAAHA

Old
12-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
I liked the first 2 months and I think that it was not a fluke. Changes need to be made but blowing up the team just sounds too drastic at this point IMO. If we are at this point in Feb. I will say I was wrong.

I hope I'm not cuz I have many more games to go to.

You and me both. I really like our core of young players (Gleason, Avery, Fro , Brown, Camm), even our goalies have been decent. What's hurt the last few weeks has been our vets JR, Luc, Army and Pavel to name a few. Very little production from them. Vis has also been missing from the score sheet during this time. I like how Miller and Matty have been playing, even if Matty hasn't been steller. I'm just saying that if we can get some young players like Jbo for Pavel, Matty and even Conroy, why not do it? JR and Luc are both done whether they know it or not. So, it's really not blowing up the team in whole. Just the older part of it.

Old
12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
SLang

Quote:
JR and Luc are both done whether they know it or not. So, it's really not blowing up the team in whole. Just the older part of it.
So you don't believe that a good team requires veteran leadership off the ice? I mean it WOULD be nice if they were leading with their words AND their actions, but it wouldn't be the first time low producing veterans have been kept on board for the benefit of the youngsters. Playoff experience is critical when you get to the playoffs. Many young, good teams with no playoff experience have been eaten alive in the first round by older, slower teams. So if that happens three years straight, where are these young kids going to get their playoff experience - with other teams after the Kings have traded them for dead, or they've been whisked away by free-agency?

Old
12-15-2005, 04:01 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang
So you don't believe that a good team requires veteran leadership off the ice? I mean it WOULD be nice if they were leading with their words AND their actions, but it wouldn't be the first time low producing veterans have been kept on board for the benefit of the youngsters. Playoff experience is critical when you get to the playoffs. Many young, good teams with no playoff experience have been eaten alive in the first round by older, slower teams. So if that happens three years straight, where are these young kids going to get their playoff experience - with other teams after the Kings have traded them for dead, or they've been whisked away by free-agency?
Valid points, but veteran leadership shouldn't come at the cost of being liability. With JR, for the most part, it doesn't(except in terms of the payroll). With Luc, there are games where he's been really hurting the team...he's been taking alot of penalties lately(or so it seems).

I do hope he returns to form and starts showcasing what made him the top LW in the game again. It really is difficult to tell if he's just caught in the 124 slump or if he's just not able to play in the NHL anymore.

Old
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
SLang

After all these years, I'd hate to see Luc be one of those guys who's waited a year too long to hang them up. There's nothing worse. On the other hand, maybe he's just in a slump. He's often been a defensive liability, and he's taken dumb penalties as long as I can remember. One of those calls last night against him, though, was clearly NOT a penalty.

He's also the only one on this team that has seen a playoff run all the way through that resulted in holding the cup above his head.

Old
12-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
I see what you're saying. What I'm suggesting though is to move these guys while they have more value in a trade than they do in the locker room imo. It's just an opinion. I still see LA as a 7-8 and bounced early. We won't have Luc, JR and possibly Matty next season. Why not move Matty, Miller and Pavel while they have high value for a cup contender? They will help us be a playoff contender. We have strong character in our youth, why not add to that so we can be a cup contender for years ahead?

Old
12-15-2005, 04:28 PM
SLang

Quote:
I see what you're saying. What I'm suggesting though is to move these guys while they have more value in a trade than they do in the locker room imo. It's just an opinion. I still see LA as a 7-8 and bounced early. We won't have Luc, JR and possibly Matty next season. Why not move Matty, Miller and Pavel while they have high value for a cup contender? They will help us be a playoff contender. We have strong character in our youth, why not add to that so we can be a cup contender for years ahead?
Hey, your opinion is as valid as mine, so I hope you don't take my comments as anything more than a devil's advocate's. I can see the desire to move Matty as it appears he may not be fitting into the "new" system well, but if we see it, so do other GM's and that doesn't bode well for what we'll get for him. As far as Miller, you could maybe get something more for him but at the same time the Kings need SOME veteran defense, too. I'm not feeling the desire to trade Demitra, who at 31 is in the prime of his career and is playing pretty well, if a little streaky. And I see a LOT of grief sent Joe Corvo's way which I don't understand considering the guy is 4th in the league in +/-.

Trying to decide what the Kings need is a frustrating job. If you go all youth, history says you won't do well in the playoffs. If you go all veteran (hard to do now with the cap), you better win in year 1 or maybe 2 because otherwise the tank is empty. As far as personnel go, I think the Kings are ok in their youth vs. veterans mix. It's the coaching adjustments, scouting of other teams systems and tailoring ours to match up (we seem to play the same game regardless of opponent), and the acquisition of one key defenseman and 1 key forward that could really push the Kings to the next level. I don't really think the team is THAT far off the mark.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Fat Elvis

Fair enough SLang, more people probably see it the way you do. I get ansy seeing LA do nothing and talk like everything is dandy. It would be nice to add those pieces you wrote about. We may very well be not too far off. Next season there will be a strong crop of ufa's, and I'm sure we can add there. I'd like to see something done sooner rather than later.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Moving Demitra would be stupid.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
SLang

Quote:
I'd like to see something done sooner rather than later.
I'm with you 100% there. For starters, I thought letting Kariya go to Nashville during the last ufa spree was a crime. You didn't have to be a Hockey MBA to know speed would be king under the new rules structure. I felt the Kings could have done a lot more, a lot earlier in the process. Last summer/fall was a wasted opportunity. A lot of key players slipped through our grasp. I wasn't here back then, what was the general attitude of this forum while that was going down?

Old
12-15-2005, 06:21 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Moving Demitra would be stupid.
Thank you finally someone says it. Yes lets move our questionable MVP/best player up till now. My dearest apology if being 2nd in west for pts isn't good enough for you. Seriously what you said is some of the dumbest crap I've heard. Everyone agrees with JR, Luc, Army but otherwise lets keep the team how it is. That being said Luc we can't trade nor JR and if we trade either who you want to put in instead?

Old
12-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
I'm with you 100% there. For starters, I thought letting Kariya go to Nashville during the last ufa spree was a crime. You didn't have to be a Hockey MBA to know speed would be king under the new rules structure. I felt the Kings could have done a lot more, a lot earlier in the process. Last summer/fall was a wasted opportunity. A lot of key players slipped through our grasp. I wasn't here back then, what was the general attitude of this forum while that was going down?
The general attitude was\is the same. Same people like the team as is, others want change (some want to change little things, I'd like to change more). It is a topic that really brings out the passion of the fan base for sure. They all have their favorite players that they have fallen in love with and would never part ways with. Good debate none the less.

Old
12-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Osprey

I thought that this was going to be an analysis of why the Kings always tank in December, so I'll reply to that, anyways. There's something about AM's coaching style that seems to get really old after a couple of months. Every season, the team listens to him, repeats his slogans and is onboard with him. By the time December rolls around, it's always over. AM could be the best coach during the winning months, but the fact that he loses his players and a major mid-to-late-season shakeup is always needed to get them back onboard is a serious issue. Good teams (like the Wings) merely add missing pieces to a solid roster for the playoffs. Good teams aren't forced into shakeups to right a sinking ship.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-15-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old
12-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Thank you finally someone says it. Yes lets move our questionable MVP/best player up till now. My dearest apology if being 2nd in west for pts isn't good enough for you. Seriously what you said is some of the dumbest crap I've heard. Everyone agrees with JR, Luc, Army but otherwise lets keep the team how it is. That being said Luc we can't trade nor JR and if we trade either who you want to put in instead?

Actually, LA is 6th in the west. And no, that's not good enough for me. Is it for you? Like being mediocre do you? Is this still the dumbest crap you've heard? LA is 3-7 in it's last 10 games, the next 14 are against our conference. If LA doesn't go at least .500 we will not have a plyoff spot. Still stupid huh? So you'll wait til then to make a move huh? Good luck then. Because teams are making moves right behind LA and they are improved. But let's keep the team as is since we must just be in a funk.

Old
12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I thought that this was going to be an analysis of why the Kings always tank in December, so I'll reply to that, anyways. There's something about AM's coaching style that seems to get really old after a couple of months. Every season, the team listens to him, repeats his slogans and is onboard with him. By the time December rolls around, it's always over. AM could be the best coach during the winning months, but the fact that he loses his players and a major mid-to-late-season shakeup is always needed to get them back onboard is a serious issue.
Agree, but since the "fire the coach" thread is being discussed in another thread, I hought I'd try a different angle.

Old
12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Agree, but since the "fire the coach" thread is being discussed in another thread, I hought I'd try a different angle.
Fair enough. Maybe I should've posted there, instead.

Old
12-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Fair enough. Maybe I should've posted there, instead.
Not at all. Maybe the problem IS closer to what you wrote and not what I did. But every season this same crappy play rears it's ugly head around the same time. This year we don't have a list of injuries for an excuse. It's either the players, or the coach, or both. Maybe there should be a poll?

Old
12-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Actually, LA is 6th in the west. And no, that's not good enough for me. Is it for you? Like being mediocre do you? Is this still the dumbest crap you've heard? LA is 3-7 in it's last 10 games, the next 14 are against our conference. If LA doesn't go at least .500 we will not have a plyoff spot. Still stupid huh? So you'll wait til then to make a move huh? Good luck then. Because teams are making moves right behind LA and they are improved. But let's keep the team as is since we must just be in a funk.
He said that Demitra is 2nd in the western conference in points scored, so moving him is indeed stupid.

Old
12-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
He said that Demitra is 2nd in the western conference in points scored, so moving him is indeed stupid.
Giving him away would be stupid, getting very high end young talent in return *could* be smart. You guys may very well be right. Just an thought I had and wanted to discuss. Pavel is proably our most tradeable asset in terms of what we could get back for him. Is it stupid to do it? Probably, I've never proclaim my brain power to be great. I'm just looking down the road and what may be best for the club. A player like Mez(D) from Ott + Mirnov(lw) would be a good get imo for the long run. A puck moving D and a lighting fast forward with skills would be nice. Is that a good trade , I completely suck at this stuff. Understatement I know.

Last edited by Fat Elvis: 12-15-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Closed Thread