HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2014, 12:25 AM
BleedingOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I love Couturier, but let's not go overboard.

Right now, there's nothing statistical to suggest that Couturier is a better player than Sutter, never mind by boatloads. Even on the ice, if you put Couturier and Sutter face to face, I suspect they'd come out pretty even.

That said, I tend to agree that he holds more value for the Flyers than Sutter does for the Pens. It has nothing to do with who's the better player, it has to do with how their teams employ them on the ice.
He definitely has way more value than Sutter, his upside is much higher. Don't get me wrong, at this point they are pretty even at the NHL level but in two years Couturier will be without a doubt the far superior player.

Old
02-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
You have to be a bit careful in prorating his output. He had 5 points in his first 4 games last year when LA's fourth line could do no wrong. After that his production was more typical of a 4th line guy.

He did put up points in Barrie in the year after he was drafted, but so far there is not much evidence that he has an offensive upside.
If we are going down that slippery slope then we take away Gagner's 8 point game when figuring his PPG in the '11-12 season. I get what you are saying, however I think that he has more offensive skill than most 4th line plugs which is what he's been called by some of our fans.

02-13-2014, 08:04 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If I'm a betting man I'd say Coburn, but I see Philly wanting another D back in the deal. Maybe one N.Schultz?

Also can really tell who watches teams outside the Oilers, lets remember that Couturier shut down Malkin as an 18 year old. He's going to be one of the best 2 way guys in the league in his prime.

And as for the rumour here it goes straight from the 4th period if they're considered credible.

OILERS, FLYERS RE-ENGAGE TRADE TALKS?
TheFourthPeriod.com
Edmonton and Philadelphia could be involved in significant trade discussions, as top members of the Flyers' management brass scouted the Oilers' latest game in New Jersey.
The Oilers and Flyers have been engaged in trade talks for some time; Philadelphia almost traded defenseman Braydon Coburn to the Oilers during the 2013 NHL Draft.

With the Olympic roster freeze in affect, teams are not able to trade players until Feb. 24, but they can continue to negotiate and could agree to terms during the break.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, Assistant GM Ron Hextall, Head of Pro Scouting Dave Brown and Pro Scout Al Hill attended Friday night's Oilers game against the Devils, prompting speculation that serious trade talks between the two clubs are ongoing.

While TFP cannot confirm, at this point, if the two teams are actually involved in trade negotiations, the Flyers have shown interest in Oilers star Jordan Eberle and right wing Ales Hemsky in the past, and the Oilers have been linked to Coburn and teammates Sean Couturier and Luke Schenn.

It's unknown who, if anyone, the Flyers and Oilers are discussing between them, but having Philly's top decision makers attend Edmonton's game has raised eyebrows.

The Oilers have been actively shopping the likes of Hemsky, left wing Ryan Smyth and center Sam Gagner, but have also received plenty of interest in the likes of Eberle and right wing Nail Yakupov.

Hemsky and Smyth are set to become unrestricted free agents July 1.

Holmgren has been on the lookout for a top-line winger to play with captain Claude Giroux and could be targeting Eberle.

The NHL trade deadline is March 5 at 3pm ET.
Thanks for the rumour... I'd also missed it. If we could somehow convince Holmgren to do a deal centered around Yak+ for Couturier and L Schenn, it would be amazing and solve a lot of problems. We could still "lose" that deal long term, but even if Yak becomes a superstar, it would be the type of deal we need to complement our other assets.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If we are going down that slippery slope then we take away Gagner's 8 point game when figuring his PPG in the '11-12 season. I get what you are saying, however I think that he has more offensive skill than most 4th line plugs which is what he's been called by some of our fans.
Clifford had one decent year in his last year of junior on a stacked Barrie team. Beyond that he hasn't mustered any offence at any level. There's no evidence he has any ability in that area.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Clifford had one decent year in his last year of junior on a stacked Barrie team. Beyond that he hasn't mustered any offence at any level. There's no evidence he has any ability in that area.
his "offensive breakout" was ppg in 57 games, good for 8th on his own team. hardly an indicator of offensive ability. I like clifford the player, but people saying he is A. worth gagner and B. potentially a 2-3L PWF are both wrong.

Old
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Yea for sure, but with no hockey for 3 weeks I think everyone is going a little crazy now. I think this thread will probably slow down in a week, then pick up a few days before the Olympics end. Also don't know if it was posted earlier or if guys just started talking about it, but have to think theres a big deal being worked out with Philly for our 1st++. The draft is in Philly so I can see them wanting a top 3 pick even more then a team usually would.

Edit: Thinking about it more maybe we could see two deals made after the trade deadline. One with Philly where we send them our 1st+Hemsky for The Schenns. Then a 2nd where Gagner goes to LA for Clifford+Muzzin? Both deals I think would make sense for each team. Could be being a bit hopeful on the Gagner deal. Lineup after the deals would be:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Schenn-Yakupov
Clifford-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-Smyth-Jones
Arcobello

Muzzin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Marincin-Schenn

I dunno, just spitballing what the potential deals could look like.
I think I'd want more from Philly. Hemsky and Luke both had really low value and I don't think Brayden is worth a top 3 pick

Old
02-13-2014, 01:10 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
I think I'd want more from Philly. Hemsky and Luke both had really low value and I don't think Brayden is worth a top 3 pick
Maybe Philly adds their 1st depending where the pick ends up? If its top 3 then they add their 1st if the pick is 4 or lower they don't.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
OilerFan4Life

Stauffer mentioned the Sharks had been looking at the Oilers closely.

Hmm.....

Hemsky for Havlat was rumored a while back no?

Old
02-13-2014, 02:28 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Let's trade a physically talented winger who has had a history of injury problems for another talented winger who has an even worse history of injury problems

Old
02-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Let's trade a physically talented winger who has had a history of injury problems for another talented winger who has an even worse history of injury problems
Don't forget he's two years older and signed for one more year after this!

Old
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Hmm.....

That deal makes no sense to me unless we are getting another player like Wingels along with Havlat. Havlat is a cap dump at this point.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'd take Havlat, but there better be something coming to us as a bonus.

I wouldn't be shocked if they are looking at cheap options like Smyth and Jones. SJ always seems to be looking for depth at this time of year.

Even N.Schultz could potentially be a target for them.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:28 PM
40oz

Quote:

Hmm.....

I'd be thrilled if the Oilers could get Manbearpig (Kennedy) in return for Hemsky

Old
02-13-2014, 03:33 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Maybe Philly adds their 1st depending where the pick ends up? If its top 3 then they add their 1st if the pick is 4 or lower they don't.
Or maybe instead of their first we could work in Simmonds? We'd have to add something smaller too though

Old
02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:

Hmm.....

Really? Who would the Sharks be looking at on our team? The only person I can think of the Sharks looking at is Hemsky if they need forward depth or else I got no clue who they could be watching.

Old
02-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I really like Chris Tierney from the London Knights, San Jose Sharks prospect.

Hemsky for Tierney would be so much win.

Old
02-13-2014, 07:08 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Havlat and his team of surgeons and medics would be an interesting addition... interesting as in ODD.

Lots of skill and talent but only if you can glue and staple him together long enough to get half a season out of him.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Or maybe instead of their first we could work in Simmonds? We'd have to add something smaller too though
I dunno I can't see Philly adding Simmonds as it would be a pretty severe hit to their wings as they make a bid for the playoffs. Could see another prospect being added though and them keeping their 1st, maybe Laughton. Would something like The Schenns+Laughton for 2014 1st and Hemsky make sense?

Old
02-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Dave

From eklund

Regarding yak
Quote:
There is a certain irony to this rumor, but I am told the Blue Jackets have interest in Nail...Montreal and the Rangers as well.
Regarding Gagner
Quote:
Speaking of....The Kings are still on Gagner but the Lightning and the Sabres are also making calls I am told.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:42 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:

Hmm.....

Think that was Horcoff for Havlat when the lockout ended.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I really like Chris Tierney from the London Knights, San Jose Sharks prospect.

Hemsky for Tierney would be so much win.
What's special about him? He just seems like a typical over-ager in the OHL.

Old
02-13-2014, 11:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

Probably top3 for defensive forwards in the OHL and took a big leap forward offensively.

Old
02-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

Hmm.....

What's the point?

Old
02-13-2014, 11:17 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

I was curious about this as well. His stats seem pretty run of the mill, but I have never seen the guy play.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Probably top3 for defensive forwards in the OHL and took a big leap forward offensively.
Ah thanks dnicks17

Last edited by s7ark: 02-13-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old
02-13-2014, 11:27 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157

PA Parenteau
Kyle Clifford

Sam Gagner
Ryan Smyth (%50)

Jeff Petry
Jake Muzzin

Closed Thread