HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
It was pretty high profile.

Andy Strickland after Kariya signed in St.Louis had a partial blog post up about how he was going to expose the Oilers over a bunch of fraudulent promises made to Kariya to persuade him to join the Oilers, but then the Nylander thing broke and he never posted the second part.

The Oilers threw a ton of money around between 2007 - 2009, very few actual bites.
Ah Andy Strickland. The guy who made up the rumour about Oiler fans burning Chris Pronger's furniture in the streets. What a hack lol.

Old
02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
Hossa was actually close wasn't it in that time frame, didn't we offer him 9x9. If I remember right it was down to us and Detroit and one other team I think
That was the year after, shortly after Katz became owner of the team in 2008.

It wasn't really all that close either. He chose professional success and happiness over huge amounts of money with one of the worst run(not to mention heavily anti- player/PA) franchises in the league.

They didn't even bother revisiting anything a year later when he was a UFA signing with Chicago despite the fact the team was still operating under the silly premise that they were one star player from contending for a cup; they knew he wasn't interested.

Old
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Horak and Gagner.

Giterdun.

Your Gagner hate has reached a new low Liquor.

Can we include you in this deal as well.

Old
02-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
My scenario on Smid

Smid said the wrong things around the team and had to go / wanted out. There was poor demand for him at that time but he had to go. Worked a deal with Calgary that they would get him until he had value at the trade deadline, unbeknownst to Smid. Chose Calgary because Smid wants to stay in Alberta for personal reasons. Oilers were lucky to get anything, not because of his play but because of timing. Calgary took a risk and gave up minimal knowing he would be worth more at trade deadline. Calgary had the upper hand but took a bit of a risk. They will get a trade pick for him. Oilers had no choice other than waive him or buy him out or this deal.

We will see who won out in a week or two. Smid, Calgary or Edmonton. I would bet on Calgary. Smid got suckered. Edmonton did the best they could no options.
My take on Smid:

The Oilers management saw that he was the worst of our "top 4" dmen and had a moderately difficult cap hit to move. MacT was never a huge fan of Smid to begin with.

Old
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Well this is great. Really.
Anybody who's watching knows that Hemsky is playing on the Oilers "shutdown" and he hasn't had shoulder related injury problems for years. Did you watch any of the Czech games at the Olympics? Hemsky is dynamite.
I'm glad for your sake that Hemsky had a couple good Olympic games, I hope you pvr'd them. B4 this olympics he had 19 points in 32 games with their men's team, and that wasn't in a checking role. I don't know what his stats were at this olympics.

If you think the Oilers can trade him sweet, I'm so done with that guy here and the Oilers being a bottom feeder.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I'm glad for your sake that Hemsky had a couple good Olympic games, I hope you pvr'd them. B4 this olympics he had 19 points in 32 games with their men's team, and that wasn't in a checking role. I don't know what his stats were at this olympics.

If you think the Oilers can trade him sweet, I'm so done with that guy here and the Oilers being a bottom feeder.
I guess you glossed over the first part there where I mentioned he's not playing in a scoring role with the Oilers this year... Which kind of segue'd naturally into my second point where I said when playing a scoring role (like he is with the Czechs) he's been dynamite...

Old
02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
My scenario on Smid

Smid said the wrong things around the team and had to go / wanted out. There was poor demand for him at that time but he had to go. Worked a deal with Calgary that they would get him until he had value at the trade deadline, unbeknownst to Smid. Chose Calgary because Smid wants to stay in Alberta for personal reasons. Oilers were lucky to get anything, not because of his play but because of timing. Calgary took a risk and gave up minimal knowing he would be worth more at trade deadline. Calgary had the upper hand but took a bit of a risk. They will get a trade pick for him. Oilers had no choice other than waive him or buy him out or this deal.

We will see who won out in a week or two. Smid, Calgary or Edmonton. I would bet on Calgary. Smid got suckered. Edmonton did the best they could no options.
If he manages to get traded out of Calgary as well I would say Smid won (unless he gets shipped to Buffalo).

Old
02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Anyone know the exact day and time the trade freeze is over? I assume it's after the Olympics are officially done... after the gold medal in hockey is awarded... but anyone know the specific time that teams can trade again?

Old
02-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
I guess you glossed over the first part there where I mentioned he's not playing in a scoring role with the Oilers this year... Which kind of segue'd naturally into my second point where I said when playing a scoring role (like he is with the Czechs) he's been dynamite...
Hemsky sucked the life out of the Oilers for 9 years on the 1st line.

Maybe he learned something from playing as a checker here that he should have learned 10 years ago, I dunno. I don't care, I would never experiment with that guy as a top line nhl'er again. If someone else wants to then that's groovy.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

I just saw the replay of Hemsky's first goal and I'm not happy. He just went to the front of the net without the puck which he hasn't done in 12+ years with the Oil. He plays like the world's biggest wussy here.

He has 10 goals in only 32 games b4 this olympics, that would be 26 goals in the nhl.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I just saw the replay of Hemsky's first goal and I'm not happy. He just went to the front of the net without the puck which he hasn't done in 12+ years with the Oil. He plays like the world's biggest wussy here.

He has 10 goals in only 32 games b4 this olympics, that would be 26 goals in the nhl.
Are you kidding me?!
Take the blinders off. Literally 30 seconds of youtube searching will provide you with TONS of evidence to the contrary.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Are you kidding me?!
Take the blinders off. Literally 30 seconds of youtube searching will provide you with TONS of evidence to the contrary.
He takes the puck to the net on the rush if he can get there, he never stands in the front of the crease like that. He would average more than 14 goals a season if he went to that spot in the nhl.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
Fair point, but Gagner's value also seems to be the lowest it's been in a long time. I suppose there is some risk that it could drop even lower, but I think there's a much stronger possibility he continues to rebound.
Just like with Hemsky, the only place Gagner's value has been high in the last couple of years is here. Other teams have real scouts and after seven years they know who he is. Assuming the rumors were true before the Olympics and that Mactavish was close to pulling the trigger for Clifford, wouldn't that be a pretty good indication of what he is being offered and what the rest of the NHL thinks of Sam Gagner the player? Gagner's value may rise at some point but it isn't going to happen while he is a 4.8 million dollar cap hit. What does Mac T do? The team can't win with him as the 2C but he still has another two seasons on his deal. Can't get much more than a fourth liner for him this season. Next season he has a NTC. If an asset is lost here, the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the guy who gave him that ridiculous contract last summer.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Anyone know the exact day and time the trade freeze is over? I assume it's after the Olympics are officially done... after the gold medal in hockey is awarded... but anyone know the specific time that teams can trade again?
@BroadStBull
For those asking, NHL trade freeze started yesterday afternoon and runs to Feb. 23 at 11:59 p.m.

Edit: I assume that's eastern since he's from there.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
That was the year after, shortly after Katz became owner of the team in 2008.

It wasn't really all that close either. He chose professional success and happiness over huge amounts of money with one of the worst run(not to mention heavily anti- player/PA) franchises in the league.

They didn't even bother revisiting anything a year later when he was a UFA signing with Chicago despite the fact the team was still operating under the silly premise that they were one star player from contending for a cup; they knew he wasn't interested.
I remember earlier this week that Stauffer mentioned that KLowe and co were pitching the young guns (Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson) as comparables to Chicago's core of Toews, Kane & Hossa when they were trying to trade for Dany Heatley. Dany knew better.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I remember earlier this week that Stauffer mentioned that KLowe and co were pitching the young guns (Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson) as comparables to Chicago's core of Toews, Kane & Hossa when they were trying to trade for Dany Heatley. Dany knew better.
Heh, yeah

It's be hilarious if the same people that were fumbling around without a clue back then weren't still in charge of the team.

It's just straight up depressing now.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Hemsky sucked the life out of the Oilers for 9 years on the 1st line.
What the **** are you talking about? This is demented.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Well he specifically said Dany's camp saw the Oilers young guys as the next Tyler Arnason and Mark Bell

which, in Nilsson's case, was kinda right. The other two ended up better but not amazing.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
He takes the puck to the net on the rush if he can get there, he never stands in the front of the crease like that. He would average more than 14 goals a season if he went to that spot in the nhl.
You know who played as his line mate those first 7 years? He was an Oiler who really liked to stand in front of the net. Made it his office, sort of shaped his entire game around it. You suggesting it would have been beneficial to Hemsky to stand in front of the net with Smyth and let Horcoff take care of the rest?

You're talking in circles and you have no idea what you're talking about to begin with here guy. Hemsky has never been a goal scorer, he's primarily a play maker.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 71
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I though he was offered a short term deal at $9M. Like 1-3 years.
Could be wrong.
No, you're wrong. It was 9x9. The short term deal was the one he accepted in Detroit. One year for significantly less than the dollar amount the Oilers offered. I can't remember the exact amount but I don't think it was much more than 4.5.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Del McPreston
5-14-6-1

vCash: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
No, you're wrong. It was 9x9. The short term deal was the one he accepted in Detroit. One year for significantly less than the dollar amount the Oilers offered. I can't remember the exact amount but I don't think it was much more than 4.5.
Detroit signed Hossa for $7.45 million.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:34 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Your both wrong, Kevin Lowe admitted afterwards that the numbers floated by the media were highly exaggerated. They were offering 7-7.5M long term and Hossa chose to sign one year in Detroit for the same as he would have here. Hossa wanted a cup so not going to rag on the guy for choosing to go somewhere besides Edmonton.

Old
02-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Your both wrong, Kevin Lowe admitted afterwards that the numbers floated by the media were highly exaggerated. They were offering 7-7.5M long term and Hossa chose to sign one year in Detroit for the same as he would have here. Hossa wanted a cup so not going to rag on the guy for choosing to go somewhere besides Edmonton.
Wasn't it speculated that Hossa never actually planned on signing the deal with the Oilers and (he or his agent) just used them to get a better deal out of Detroit.

Old
02-21-2014, 12:52 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
Wasn't it speculated that Hossa never actually planned on signing the deal with the Oilers and (he or his agent) just used them to get a better deal out of Detroit.
They were both talking, from what I heard Detroit wasnt willing to pay him more then Lidstrom. Hossa had to decide if he wanted long term stability or the chance at a cup. He took the latter and it didn't work out in Detroit but by not signing here he was able to land in Chicago where he's won two cups, so hard to say he made the wrong move. I think if we still had Pronger, and had made a dent in the playoffs in 2008 that Hossa signs with us. I think once this team turns the corner and we start going deep yearly we'll have no problem attracting guys who want to win.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:20 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Are you kidding me?!
Unless you play like Kyle Clifford you're viewed as team cancer around here.

Hemsky is a fantastic player and considering he's been largely anchored on the third line with Gordon (who starts nearly all his shifts in the d-zone), the fact he's put up the amount of points he has is remarkable really.

Hemsky goes to the dirty areas, is one of our better defensive players and is talented and creative to boot.

But he's no Kyle Clifford.

Closed Thread