HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
What the **** are you talking about? This is demented.
Talking about how much the Oilers relied on Hemsky and how poor of a hockey player he actually was, all things considered. He can carry the puck at an elite level if he gets a bit of separation but outside of that he's at or below average in every facet of the game, especially compete level.

Disregard Eakins' sell job of Ales, he's just doing something that MacT never learned to do... talk positively about players who are on the trading block.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Just like with Hemsky, the only place Gagner's value has been high in the last couple of years is here. Other teams have real scouts and after seven years they know who he is.
You missed the whole point.
Quote:
Assuming the rumors were true before the Olympics
They probably weren't
Quote:
and that Mactavish was close to pulling the trigger for Clifford, wouldn't that be a pretty good indication of what he is being offered and what the rest of the NHL thinks of Sam Gagner the player?
Are you actually hoping that he has low trade value?
Quote:
Gagner's value may rise at some point but it isn't going to happen while he is a 4.8 million dollar cap hit.
Last season Gagner started off with a ten game point streak and points in 25 of his first 29 games. He had 27 points in that span, and that was from the 2nd line.

There are only a handful of players who have done that from the 2nd line in the nhl in the last 30 years (Malkin, Forsberg, Fedorov, Kelser, etc), and he's probably the only one to do it while outscoring the #1 center. If he doesn't get his face smashed in by an "errant stick" again, and has another season similar to his 23 yr old season, what would his trade value be?

Quote:
What does Mac T do? The team can't win with him as the 2C
The team could have done a whole lot better last season if Sam, our worst player(?), wasn't our 2nd best point producer. Theoretically guys on the first line should be able to outscore him. IE, he played well enough for the team to win a lot more games.

Quote:
Can't get much more than a fourth liner for him this season.
Hmmm, what to do...?

Old
02-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Talking about how much the Oilers relied on Hemsky and how poor of a hockey player he actually was, all things considered. He can carry the puck at an elite level if he gets a bit of separation but outside of that he's at or below average in every facet of the game, especially compete level.
I am going to assume that Ales Hemsky ran over your cat or something because this is just unhinged. Its one thing to dislike a player but the criticisms should, you know, have some basis in reality.

Old
02-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Hemsky4PM

Oi'll Say, I think you overestimate the skill level of the average NHL player. Hemsky is not a great player, but he's not below average. He's about average in my view. That makes him a no 6-8 forward, which he is on most teams now that his offense is way down from his career peak.

Old
02-22-2014, 05:24 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Oi'll Say, I think you overestimate the skill level of the average NHL player. Hemsky is not a great player, but he's not below average. He's about average in my view. That makes him a no 6-8 forward, which he is on most teams now that his offense is way down from his career peak.
The day he leaves Edmonton, he will be back at his career peak. Hemsky can easily be a 50-60 point player in this league still, he just needs a change of scenery. He will be motivated and gets a fresh start. He went from being our number 1 to our number 6-7 guy in the span of 4 years. The oilers should've traded him the season that lead to us drafting nuge or even the season leading up to us drafting yak. I can understand why he wasn't moved last year, we were buyers, in a playoff hunt etc. Whoever lands Hemsky will be getting the steal of the deadline. He will be moved for relatively cheap and is a top 6 forward who can make an impact on any team. It's gonna suck seeing him go but he will flourish once he leaves.

Old
02-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Paralyzer008

Some tidbits from the new hockey news, trade deadline edition:

"They may trade Eberle, but they have to trade Gagner, he needs a new look" - Eastern Conference pro scout

They suggest LA, Washington, and Phoenix as good fits, with a 80% chance of trade

"He's in that second tier of wingers available after Vanek and Moulson, you're not dealing for him to be a long term top six forward, so the offer you make for him probably won't be a big one" - Western Conference GM

They suggest LA, Phoenix, Detroit and Pittsburgh as good fits, with a 70% chance of trade

They suggested the Oilers as a fit for Dany Heatley, because of the assets that could come with taking his cap hit on, but that's a joke

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 02-22-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old
02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
What would the Oilers get back for taking on Heatley's contract for the rest of this season?

Maybe a second round pick?

Old
02-22-2014, 11:51 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
What would the Oilers get back for taking on Heatley's contract for the rest of this season?

Maybe a second round pick?
He's got 11 points in his last 13 games.

If we're expecting to get something decent for Hemsky, I don't think Heatley would need a plus to be given away.

Old
02-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Haha imagine if we ended up with Heatley

Old
02-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Unless you play like Kyle Clifford you're viewed as team cancer around here.

Hemsky is a fantastic player and considering he's been largely anchored on the third line with Gordon (who starts nearly all his shifts in the d-zone), the fact he's put up the amount of points he has is remarkable really.

Hemsky goes to the dirty areas, is one of our better defensive players and is talented and creative to boot.

But he's no Kyle Clifford.
I'm quite glad someone finally agrees with me on this board

Old
02-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
His offense is down because of the role he's playing with the Oilers. Hemsky can still produce, he was dangerous just about every time he hit the ice with the Czechs with incredibly limited ice time. For some reason the Czech coach thought Nedved was still 28.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Hemsky sucked the life out of the Oilers for 9 years on the 1st line.

Maybe he learned something from playing as a checker here that he should have learned 10 years ago, I dunno. I don't care, I would never experiment with that guy as a top line nhl'er again. If someone else wants to then that's groovy.
Ales Hemksy made Shawn Horcoff a very very very rich man.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
and Horcoff made a lot more money than Hemsky as well.

Old
02-22-2014, 05:05 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No Horcoffs great play in our playoff run and the couple years after before his injury made him rich. Your hate for Horc is funny.

Old
02-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
If it's true that the Sabres are interested in Gagner what kind of return could we get.

I would love to pick up M.Pysyk he has great potential.

Old
02-22-2014, 06:34 PM
hellacious

Pysyk would be sweet and i totally would not put it past the Oilers to acquire him. Sign me up.

Old
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Oi'll say!

You guys are talking about Mark Pysysk?

22 yrs old
2013-2014 SABRES 42gp: 1g-5a-6pts, -11

The Sabres don't have anyone we want. The Oilers need to keep focusing on C-Bus.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:03 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
If it's true that the Sabres are interested in Gagner what kind of return could we get.

But another D prospect (albiet good) who is still not a consistent NHL middle pairing D.

Theres a complete log jam of D prospects and need to give them opportunity too.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:52 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
But another D prospect (albiet good) who is still not a consistent NHL middle pairing D.

Theres a complete log jam of D prospects and need to give them opportunity too.
They need to fight and earn their opportunity, not be given one

Old
02-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post

Oilers would target Grigorenko imo. and before how people go off how he is struggling remember Johansen did as well his 1st couple of years.

Old
02-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Oilers would target Grigorenko imo. and before how people go off how he is struggling remember Johansen did as well his 1st couple of years.
Even when Johansen struggled he could actually skate unlike Grigs. A big no thanks for me.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'd rather get Hodgson than Grigs, but Gagner doesn't land Hodgson

Old
02-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
I don't understand why people are so intrigued by all these young players that have yet to make a name for themselves. I know our fans have been spoiled with young talent recently but we are in no position to be trading (somewhat) established players like Gagner for someone like Grigorenko. The fans are sick and tired of no playoffs and minor/no improvements each season. I don't see how we can make a deal like that which only sets us back. Time to pull the trigger on a bold deal involving someone like Gagner + Nurse/Klefbom/1st that nets us a proven veteran to change the makeup of the roster. Spezza, for example is someone I've been pulling for. Adds size, faceoffs and lifts a 50 pound weight off of Nuge's shoulders knowing he isn't the only center out there each night.

EDIT - For the record I would never trade the 1st for Spezza but if it was someone more significant/better contract situation, maybe.

Last edited by Joey Moss: 02-22-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old
02-22-2014, 10:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Agreed. Especially given we prefered him to Galchenyuk even

02-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Some tidbits from the new hockey news, trade deadline edition:

"They may trade Eberle, but they have to trade Gagner, he needs a new look" - Eastern Conference pro scout

They suggest LA, Washington, and Phoenix as good fits, with a 80% chance of trade

"He's in that second tier of wingers available after Vanek and Moulson, you're not dealing for him to be a long term top six forward, so the offer you make for him probably won't be a big one" - Western Conference GM

They suggest LA, Phoenix, Detroit and Pittsburgh as good fits, with a 70% chance of trade

They suggested the Oilers as a fit for Dany Heatley, because of the assets that could come with taking his cap hit on, but that's a joke
Don't understand the Heatley thing. Isn't his contract up? If they want to move him for the rest of the year, I guess if they send a prospect along. It'd have to be a nice prospect if the Oilers are paying a few million for it.

Closed Thread