HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2014, 12:56 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'd rather get Hodgson than Grigs, but Gagner doesn't land Hodgson
Hodgson is Gagner for the most part. I'm all for the Grigorenko thing but this organization is in heavy need of a player development staff. I do think, or at least suspect, that Grigorenko and Yakupov could help eachother adapt.

It's an interesting proposal for sure.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:14 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. Especially given we prefered him to Galchenyuk even
Am I the only one who has always preferred Galchenyuk over both Yak and Grigorenko? Knee injury aside, Galchenyuk always stood out with the Sting. Maybe because I've watched him play since he broke into the MWEHL, but he's one of the brightest players I've ever seen at 15. Without the injury I'd have to think he would've been selected as the first forward.

There's something to pedigree players and Alex Sr is great with young, skilled players. Especially Europeans. Hell, he'd be a good option as a roaming skills assistant with the Oilers. I know Yak looked up to him, he did wonders with Goldobin last year and obviously his own son.

Grigorenko and Yak seem to both struggle with being professionals and they don't deal with their struggles well. Whether it's a culture thing or not, if the Oilers were to get Grigorenko, it's a no brainer the team should bring in a mentor type roving coach to help those guys reach their potential.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:34 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Am I the only one who has always preferred Galchenyuk over both Yak and Grigorenko? Knee injury aside, Galchenyuk always stood out with the Sting. Maybe because I've watched him play since he broke into the MWEHL, but he's one of the brightest players I've ever seen at 15. Without the injury I'd have to think he would've been selected as the first forward.

There's something to pedigree players and Alex Sr is great with young, skilled players. Especially Europeans. Hell, he'd be a good option as a roaming skills assistant with the Oilers. I know Yak looked up to him, he did wonders with Goldobin last year and obviously his own son.

Grigorenko and Yak seem to both struggle with being professionals and they don't deal with their struggles well. Whether it's a culture thing or not, if the Oilers were to get Grigorenko, it's a no brainer the team should bring in a mentor type roving coach to help those guys reach their potential.
I think Jason Gregor was campaigning for Galchenyuk
I actually voted to take Galchenyuk in the poll leading up to the draft. You always take the big centerman over the flashy winger if they're skill is comparable.
The Oilers are learning that the hard way.

Old
02-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

From what I saw and heard I liked Galchenyuk more than Grigs and I wondered why they didn't invite him to Edmonton...but I don't watch these guys enough.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:11 AM
Paralyzer008

Craig Custance in his latest ESPN Insider post feels Oilers center Sam Gagner is all but assured to be moved. He also wondered if the Canucks could move Edler for a young C, although Edler has a no trade clause.

Moreso speculation on the Edler part, but Custance has sources and he feels that we will see Gagner go.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:36 AM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Rumblings out of Vancouver is that they are on the verge of a huge trade

Old
02-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Ghostbuster

I'd be all over a Gagner+ for Edler deal.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I'd be all over a Gagner+ for Edler deal.
You and me both, but sadly I think Edler is on his way to an Eastern team. I doubt they trade a guy like Edler to a team in their division, and risk him finding form again.

02-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
You and me both, but sadly I think Edler is on his way to an Eastern team. I doubt they trade a guy like Edler to a team in their division, and risk him finding form again.
Agreed. The only reason I could see anything transpiring between us and Vancouver is because of Sammy's dad.

Funny thing is Hodgson would have filled that spot perfectly.

Old
02-23-2014, 08:54 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I think Jason Gregor was campaigning for Galchenyuk
I actually voted to take Galchenyuk in the poll leading up to the draft. You always take the big centerman over the flashy winger if they're skill is comparable.
The Oilers are learning that the hard way.
You don't take a guy who played a total of 8 games in his draft year 1st overall. Especially when you consider he was coming off a major injury. Also give it two or three more seasons before we annoint Galchenyuk above Yak. Once Yakupov puts it together he's going to be a very dangerous winger in this league.

Old
02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

@RobRossi_Trib
Thankfully this week I am back to work so I won't have time to muse via Twitter... #HemskyWatch #pens

Old
02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
@RobRossi_Trib
Thankfully this week I am back to work so I won't have time to muse via Twitter... #HemskyWatch #pens
I believe Pittsburgh is going to attempt to get Vanek first.

Like my quotes said earlier, all of the teams are going to go after Vanek and Moulson. The bidding losers get Hemsky (unless MacT keeps him....which I'm hoping for)

Old
02-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
@RobRossi_Trib
I hope he goes there, the pens are my second team . Probably land Samuelsson and a draft pick for him. Nothing special, I wish we could land Despres from them but that unfortunately won't happen.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I believe Pittsburgh is going to attempt to get Vanek first.

Like my quotes said earlier, all of the teams are going to go after Vanek and Moulson. The bidding losers get Hemsky (unless MacT keeps him....which I'm hoping for)
They can go after him all they want, if your the Isle's why would you trade Vanek to one of your biggest rivals? My prediction is Vanek goes to Minnesota.

Moulson might go to Pitts but I've heard he wants LA since his wife has connections there and is going to try and sign their this summer.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You don't take a guy who played a total of 8 games in his draft year 1st overall. Especially when you consider he was coming off a major injury. Also give it two or three more seasons before we annoint Galchenyuk above Yak. Once Yakupov puts it together he's going to be a very dangerous winger in this league.
No kidding. Yak is 20, having an awful season and he will still likely score 20 goals regardless.

Now what numbers does he put up in a solid season, good season and great season? 30,40,50? 60?

Old
02-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
They can go after him all they want, if your the Isle's why would you trade Vanek to one of your biggest rivals? My prediction is Vanek goes to Minnesota.

Moulson might go to Pitts but I've heard he wants LA since his wife has connections there and is going to try and sign their this summer.
Severely doubt that Minnesota trades for Vanek. Why spend assets on a guy you'll get in July?

NHL executives around the league heavily believe that Vanek's case is the following: If you trade for him now, you're renting. Minnesota then locks him up July 1.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Rumblings out of Vancouver is that they are on the verge of a huge trade
Some Nuck fans are saying that it might be Kesler coming to Detroit, I sure hope so.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Some Nuck fans are saying that it might be Kesler coming to Detroit, I sure hope so.
I don't like that for Detroit, if it were to occur, unless it's cheaper than I expect.

Kesler is from Michigan, so that part of the add is nice. However, he's had injuries pile up, only around a 50 point pace the last few healthier years. The term left in his deal isn't so bad, but I do wonder if a Horcoff like decline is coming.

I wouldn't really want him for too much price after all of the abuse he's taken through blocked shots.

Everything I said above applies to Ryan Callahan as well.

Old
02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
That'd be a dumb move by Vancouver IMO because the only guys that would be worth their while to get in return for Kesler aren't on the table.

02-23-2014, 12:24 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Severely doubt that Minnesota trades for Vanek. Why spend assets on a guy you'll get in July?

NHL executives around the league heavily believe that Vanek's case is the following: If you trade for him now, you're renting. Minnesota then locks him up July 1.
Because they want to win in the playoffs. If your another team why do you give up big assets knowing Vanek's leaving in 4 months anyways?

Old
02-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Because they want to win in the playoffs. If your another team why do you give up big assets knowing Vanek's leaving in 4 months anyways?
Because THEY want to win in the playoffs, and they aren't where Minny is in the standings, meaning they've got a chance.

If you're Minnesota, and you're likely facing Chicago, and you believe Vanek will come to you in the summer, why pay assets ahead of time? Minny already knows Chicago would be a tough opponent, it would be an unnecessary risk. Might as well wait and get him for free, and play the tough team with what you have already and look to the future.

LA and Pittsburgh, for example, believe that Vanek makes them a cup contender for 4 months, so they're willing to do that. They feel like they're competitive enough that Vanek is that last piece for them to win. LA may have to face a tough team, but they believe they are ready anyways to do so. Minny does not.

Minny is in special position though, no need to do such a move. Would Minny rather face Chicago and add Vanek for a first rounder + two prospects? Or just sign him in the summer without moving anything?

Old
02-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
and at the same time why would Minny offer fair value if no one else will? This is like the Pronger situation. Vanek will be cheap.

GMs with no problems signing guys would prefer Vanek. GMs that have to worry about the next season and the ones after may prefer Hemsky.

Old
02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Because THEY want to win in the playoffs, and they aren't where Minny is in the standings, meaning they've got a chance.

If you're Minnesota, and you're likely facing Chicago, and you believe Vanek will come to you in the summer, why pay assets ahead of time? Minny already knows Chicago would be a tough opponent, it would be an unnecessary risk. Might as well wait and get him for free, and play the tough team with what you have already and look to the future.

LA and Pittsburgh, for example, believe that Vanek makes them a cup contender for 4 months, so they're willing to do that. They feel like they're competitive enough that Vanek is that last piece for them to win. LA may have to face a tough team, but they believe they are ready anyways to do so. Minny does not.

Minny is in special position though, no need to do such a move. Would Minny rather face Chicago and add Vanek for a first rounder + two prospects? Or just sign him in the summer without moving anything?
It's the playoffs and anything can happen. If you have a chance to add a player of Vaneks caliber and know its long term, you make the deal of a 1st and two mid level prospects every day. To me it's not worth taking the chance that he goes to LA or to Pittsburgh and ends up liking it and resigns with that team. On top of that I highly doubt that New York is going to be trading Vanek to a division rival in Pittsburgh.

Old
02-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That'd be a dumb move by Vancouver IMO because the only guys that would be worth their while to get in return for Kesler aren't on the table.
Agreed Mantha would have to be at least Included In a big part of a package going to Vancouver, And I just cant see Ken Holland giving up a 19 year old Mantha for a soon to be 30 year old Kessler. Unless Detroits going after both Kesler and Edler In a bigger deal In which here has been some speculation of.

Old
02-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
It's the playoffs and anything can happen. If you have a chance to add a player of Vaneks caliber and know its long term, you make the deal of a 1st and two mid level prospects every day. To me it's not worth taking the chance that he goes to LA or to Pittsburgh and ends up liking it and resigns with that team. On top of that I highly doubt that New York is going to be trading Vanek to a division rival in Pittsburgh.
Quit while you're ahead. Pittsburg is a viable landing spot with a real need for Vanek, a team that's a Cup contender and the prospect depth to get it done.

Snow is a GM who absolutely bungled the acquisition of Vanek and now must scramble to get assets back and potentially save his job. Will also be welcoming their franchise guy back from Sochi who is returning on crutches with a major knee injury. Snow does not have luxury of picking his spots on the deal front. This is survival mode.

Closed Thread