HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I don't like that for Detroit, if it were to occur, unless it's cheaper than I expect.

Kesler is from Michigan, so that part of the add is nice. However, he's had injuries pile up, only around a 50 point pace the last few healthier years. The term left in his deal isn't so bad, but I do wonder if a Horcoff like decline is coming.

I wouldn't really want him for too much price after all of the abuse he's taken through blocked shots.

Everything I said above applies to Ryan Callahan as well.
I agree with you, I just cant see Ken Holland trading away the kind of assets that Gillis would want In return. Unless the Illitch family has told Ken Holland to try and make a deal for Kesler Mr I would love another Stanley Cup Championship before he dies would be my only thinking just cant really see Holland making this deal. He's not one to trade young future core player for aging players like Kesler would be.

Old
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Quit while you're ahead. Pittsburg is a viable landing spot with a real need for Vanek, a team that's a Cup contender and the prospect depth to get it done.

Snow is a GM who absolutely bungled the acquisition of Vanek and now must scramble to get assets back and potentially save his job. Will also be welcoming their franchise guy back from Sochi who is returning on crutches with a major knee injury. Snow does not have luxury of picking his spots on the deal front. This is survival mode.
Yea, because the Islanders really need more D prospects. Vanek will get dealt and the return will be half decent, I'll be absolutely shocked if it's to Pittsburgh though.

Old
02-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Oi'll say!

I was really impressed by Markus Kruger in this game. Never even heard of the kid before so I thought he'd be easy pickings for Canada. He was a beast.

I'll be making a lot of Markus Kruger trade proposals in the future lol but I still don't want him for Gagner.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Olympic trade freeze ends at midnight tonight, I believe.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Take this fwiw, but a friend of mine who has become friends with Gagner over the last couple years tells me he's moving. Says MacT called him last night to inform him there is a trade in place to be put through as soon as the freeze lifts.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:20 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Take this fwiw, but a friend of mine who has become friends with Gagner over the last couple years tells me he's moving. Says MacT called him last night to inform him there is a trade in place to be put through as soon as the freeze lifts.
LoL - one of these posts again.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
LoL - one of these posts again.
I don't recall ever having done this before? I was skeptical to post it because of people like you.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Quote:

Thanks for sharing.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I don't recall ever having done this before? I was skeptical to post it because of people like you.
It's not you personally, its the "friend of a friend" type rumour and the mods will often want you to verify with them the validity.

That said, I'll believe it when I see it (and give credit where its due) & hope that its not a stupid trade.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Thanks for posting! I know people will give the usual eye roll to this stuff but it could be interesting as the freeze lifts 10pm MT. I don't think it's that far-fetched to think MacT has a Gagner deal done so I'll be curious to see what might come out of this.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Bergeron47

I'd be very surprised if the Oilers weren't waiting for the trade freeze to lift to announce a trade(s). Stauffer basically said as much last week.

Old
02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
You can PM me if you wish, but "friend of a friend" hearsay is near impossible to validate and worth what you've stated it to be.

You can open up a grain-of-salt stand and sell it for bit coin if you'd like. I'd like a share of the profit though.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:18 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't worry about it, there's lots of us on here that appreciate these kind of rumours.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Well, I'm taking this to mean "exciting". If it's Gagner for Clifford, I'm going to be pissed.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:24 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Well, I'm taking this to mean "exciting". If it's Gagner for Clifford, I'm going to be pissed.
Yeah, nothing against Clifford but I'm not going to be happy with the return on Gagner, I just know its going to be ugly.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

yeah i agree, i think the return on gagner will be brutal

Old
02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
rockinghockey

If we move Gagner we better be getting something back NAS I would think would be a team that could use him

Old
02-23-2014, 04:50 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Knowing our luck, we're getting Colin Wilson.

Colin Wilson is not an upgrade on Gagner in any means, shape, or form, imo. We'll end up having Arco as our 2nd line centre simply because he's better.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I agree with you, I just cant see Ken Holland trading away the kind of assets that Gillis would want In return. Unless the Illitch family has told Ken Holland to try and make a deal for Kesler Mr I would love another Stanley Cup Championship before he dies would be my only thinking just cant really see Holland making this deal. He's not one to trade young future core player for aging players like Kesler would be.
Kesler would add another element to Detroit but somehow, someway, Weiss would have to go back the other direction. I do think Detroit will be all over Edler if he's moved, but Kesler, although I wouldn't be floored, doesn't make a bunch of sense even with the Zerterberg issue.

Detroit is primed to make a big deal though. Way to many first class prospects who are ahead of schedule. Adding a top 4 D has to be their number one priority and Edler fits that. The only depth type move I see them making would be a guy like Hemsky but only due to the Zetterberg injury. The Wings have long been linked to have interest and with their large cap funds next year it would be a good opportunity to see how he actually fits in. Ferraro would be a decent target in return. Maybe a little more. A prospect like Jensen. It's really the only type moves I can see Detroit making unless they're willing to go all out on a Vanek but really don't see them moving these nice assets for a guy who might walk on them, who's coming off a tainted Olympic tournament. If Detroit's going to make a big move up front, I think it'll be in the off season and it could very well be an Eberle type trade.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Knowing our luck, we're getting Colin Wilson.

Colin Wilson is not an upgrade on Gagner in any means, shape, or form, imo. We'll end up having Arco as our 2nd line centre simply because he's better.
Very true. Wilson would have to be only part of a deal if we're talking Nashville and if it's Ellis, I want no part of it. That's all the Oilers need. Another lost D in his own end.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Could it be something bigger? Maybe with Josi coming back? We would probably need to add one of J.Schultz, Petry or our 1st along with Gagner to make it happen

Old
02-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Could it be something bigger? Maybe with Josi coming back? We would probably need to add one of J.Schultz, Petry or our 1st along with Gagner to make it happen
LOl

Old
02-23-2014, 05:14 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Very true. Wilson would have to be only part of a deal if we're talking Nashville and if it's Ellis, I want no part of it. That's all the Oilers need. Another lost D in his own end.
I saw that Ellis "rumbling" in another thread. Ugh. Schultz >> Ellis at defence, and that disaster would simply be hilarious to watch. Well, for turned-masochistic Oilers fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
The numbers and stats show otherwise - i.e. he's elite, and you should pick him up if you have the opportunity, but I'd be seriously cautious in picking up Roman Josi. I'm nervous about players playing with excellent D partners (MAB, anyone?) and I've always been underwhelmed by his game. I didn't think much of it at the Olympics either. Jmho.

Would he be an improvement on our d-corps? Definitely. Is that worth J. Schultz (his potential his higher than Josi's play, imo)/Petry (much maligned player is the only competent D man we have)/the 1st? Absofreakingnot. Especially if you're giving Gagner away (gifting, really, no matter how much you hate him) and not getting a centre back, you're going to need someone to step into that role for the next season, the 1st can get you someone who can.

-----

That's the bigger problem with the Gagner rumour - who's his replacement? Nothing in the pipeline suggests that will be filled (Lander notwithstanding - the organization seems to have loved him and now hates him) and the crop of FAs are very slim to none in the #2C department. Unless you want to severely overpay Stastny or Grabo, bring in an aging borderline #2C like Jokenin/Roy, promote Arco/Lander to a role their NHL data suggests will probably tax them and thus the team, or do something radical (Hall to centre, verison 2), you better be getting a centre back with the Gagner trade.

I've trusted MacT so far. I doubt he'd make a stupid decision. I'll refrain from making a proposal, this isn't really the thread, but I'd rather target Anaheim.

EDIT: realizing Petry hasn't been signed, if they offer you Josi for Gagner and Petry, I guess I'd take it.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
LOl
No kidding, not a chance do we add any of those pieces. Josi is good but he isn't THAT good yet.

Also a little hilarious that a top 3 1st = Petry = JSchultz.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
LOl
Laugh all you want but Gagner has negative trade value and Josi is going to be a good top pairing defenseman

Closed Thread