HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilvision View Post
Clifford and Bogo seem's to be in everybody's wishlist when it comes to trade proposals.
Bogo I can see - young stud defenceman.

Clifford though? Who cares? He's a dime a dozen 4th liner. You don't trade away a 45 point 2C to get that.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
I can see St. Louis doing that, he acts like a tool when things don't go his way. I've disliked him ever since he whined about Omark's shootout move and then was doing the exact same stuff on his own attempts not even a month later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He'd been left off two consecutive Olympic rosters by his own GM despite being one of the best offensive players in the NHL.

He probably should have been more professional about it, but I suspect he was feeling significantly disrespected at that point; not to mention extremely disappointed that he lost out on his last chance for a gold medal(at the time).
Yzerman didn't go to Tampa until three months after the 2010 Olympics.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:04 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
I think there is legs to this rumor, Stevie Y stepped down today from Hockey Canada Executive President.
I think that's more likely to be a precursor to the NHL not going to the next WO.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Montreal just recalled Jared Tinordi.

Something to keep our eyes on with Stauffer naming the Habs as a potential suitor for Hemsky.
Montreal is not going to send a recent 1st round dman who has huge upside for a rental, not happening. If Montreal is a suitor for Hemsky it would be a bottom pairing dman on their roster coming back . Tinordi would be brought up as depth not trade bait.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Clifford though? Who cares? He's a dime a dozen 4th liner. You don't trade away a 45 point 2C to get that.
Bogosian hasn't really been a stud defenseman though. Hasn't lived up to the hype like Doughty and Pietrangelo have (all top 5 picks in 08). But I agree LA would need to add a fair amount to Clifford to get Gagner

Old
02-23-2014, 10:20 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I would take anything for Hemsky. In reality if he wants to leave, I would trade him for futures just as a favor to him. send him to a cup contender.
Asset management like that is a large part of the reason this team is in the mess it's in now.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Mr Sakich

On the main board is a poster who,follows eklund. Apparently ek is saying that it is yak for Callahan

Thank God ek's success rate is statistically less than random chance(3%)

Old
02-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Yzerman didn't go to Tampa until three months after the 2010 Olympics.
I'm aware.

Wasn't making the distinction that he was GM for both years, just that his current GM left him off for two Olympics.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:31 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
On the main board is a poster who,follows eklund. Apparently ek is saying that it is yak for Callahan

Thank God ek's success rate is statistically less than random chance(3%)
If that is true, I will be driving up to Edm, taking off my Oiler jersey throwing it on the ice, and will sport a flames jersey until all Managment is fired.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:37 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
If that is true, I will be driving up to Edm, taking off my Oiler jersey throwing it on the ice, and will sport a flames jersey until all Managment is fired.
It's an Eklund rumor. Yak has a better chance of being traded to Denver to play for the Broncos.

That said, if by some magic this DOES happen, I'll see you all outside the Oiler offices for a nice little jersey bonfire.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:40 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
It's an Eklund rumor. Yak has a better chance of being traded to Denver to play for the Broncos.

That said, if by some magic this DOES happen, I'll see you all outside the Oiler offices for a nice little jersey bonfire.
Don't think it's true.... But if so ill bring the matches and brewskies.

Like your solution better doesnt result in me wearing a flames jersey.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Montreal is not going to send a recent 1st round dman who has huge upside for a rental, not happening. If Montreal is a suitor for Hemsky it would be a bottom pairing dman on their roster coming back . Tinordi would be brought up as depth not trade bait.
I don't think anyone is realistically expecting Tinordi as a return for Hemsky.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

They wouldn't trade Yak for a UFA...they're not thaaat stupid.

Gagner for St. Louis?

Old
02-23-2014, 10:47 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Don't think it's true.... But if so ill bring the matches and brewskies.

Like your solution better doesnt result in me wearing a flames jersey.
I went and read the tweet out of morbid curiosity.

Something like "Callahan and Yakupov are two of the names being discussed"

Typical, no exacts mentioned.

God that trade would be horrible and serve no purpose whatsoever.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:55 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
I went and read the tweet out of morbid curiosity.

Something like "Callahan and Yakupov are two of the names being discussed"

Typical, no exacts mentioned.

God that trade would be horrible and serve no purpose whatsoever.
Meh, not a chance Eklund is right, although it wouldn't shock me if Slats hosed us.

What about Callahan signed with a 1st? We do need a player like him (a few actually) not sure I'd part with Yak though.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
They wouldn't trade Yak for a UFA...they're not thaaat stupid.

Gagner for St. Louis?
Tampa needs to add Stamkos to get MacT listening

Old
02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Meh, not a chance Eklund is right, although it wouldn't shock me if Slats hosed us.

What about Callahan signed with a 1st? We do need a player like him (a few actually) not sure I'd part with Yak though.
Here's the thing, Callahan hasn't really been all that impressive the last couple seasons, has ridiculous contract expectations, and we would actually get smaller adding him. He's about Ference's size at 5'10 190.

If we DO end up trading Yak, I would be unhappy with anything that wasn't a top 2 defenceman, or a bigger but less talented top 6 forward plus, like a Simmonds.

I would trade any forward we have, except Hall and Nuge, before I moved Yak. Even Eakins is starting to come around to him, praising his attitude and work ethic.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/y...ty-post-break/

Old
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Here's the thing, Callahan hasn't really been all that impressive the last couple seasons, has ridiculous contract expectations, and we would actually get smaller adding him. He's about Ference's size at 5'10 190.

If we DO end up trading Yak, I would be unhappy with anything that wasn't a top 2 defenceman, or a bigger but less talented top 6 forward plus.

I would trade any forward we have, except Hall and Nuge, before I moved Yak. Even Eakins is starting to come around to him, praising his attitude and work ethic.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Eakins says at this point. He's pretty clearly a dishonest boaster who will say whatever he thinks people want to hear him say.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:12 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:

If we DO end up trading Yak, I would be unhappy with anything that wasn't a top 2 defenceman, or a bigger but less talented top 6 forward plus, like a Simmonds.

Good post, trading Yakupov for anything less than what you stated would be silly. I still hope for Gagner for Brown. Brown's value is at a low right now but if he could turn it around then it would be a great pick up. If he can't then he's still an excellent 3rd liner

Old
02-23-2014, 11:25 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Good post, trading Yakupov for anything less than what you stated would be silly. I still hope for Gagner for Brown. Brown's value is at a low right now but if he could turn it around then it would be a great pick up. If he can't then he's still an excellent 3rd liner
That would be a great pickup for us, (even though his face is punchable and I can't handle his diving) but a team heading to the playoffs doesn't trade it's Captain at the deadline.

If anything that would be an offseason move, and Gagner would have to have a beastly last 20 games for them to even consider it.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Personally I'd move him straight up for Clifford to free up cap space to make some big FA pitches. That said I definitely wouldn't turn down something else of value coming back with Clifford.
We can't hope for making a UFA splash. Guys like Stastny or Callahan aren't coming. I'd rather have Gagner and Kyle Quincey than Clifford and Kyle Quincey. Those are the types of UFA players we can expect.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:37 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
That would be a great pickup for us, (even though his face is punchable and I can't handle his diving) but a team heading to the playoffs doesn't trade it's Captain at the deadline.

If anything that would be an offseason move, and Gagner would have to have a beastly last 20 games for them to even consider it.
I don't know if Gagner would really have to be that beastly. Brown seems to be on the decline based on this season and last years playoffs so they might trade him for a younger player with higher offensive potential. There was a rumor that Brown was on the block (don't know how true it is) so maybe they would trade him before the playoffs despite him being their captain for a more offensive player.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Exactly. Seriously, would anyone here trade Gagner for Drew Miller or Patrick Eaves? Both great fourth line players who play up in a pinch, score a few goals, etc. in fact, Miller is probably twice the player than Clifford.

Just cause he had a nice cup run doesn't make him a great player. He's frankly blown since then and scrambled his brain a bit in the process.

Old
02-23-2014, 11:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
We can't hope for making a UFA splash. Guys like Stastny or Callahan aren't coming. I'd rather have Gagner and Kyle Quincey than Clifford and Kyle Quincey. Those are the types of UFA players we can expect.
Hell no to Quincey. I would rather we play Nurse, Marincin, and Klefa (and that's not something I want)

02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Exactly. Seriously, would anyone here trade Gagner for Drew Miller or Patrick Eaves? Both great fourth line players who play up in a pinch, score a few goals, etc. in fact, Miller is probably twice the player than Clifford.

Just cause he had a nice cup run doesn't make him a great player. He's frankly blown since then and scrambled his brain a bit in the process.
I wouldn't trade Gagner for all three of Clifford, Eaves, and Miller together. We could have had Eaves for free if we wanted him. Two of the three have serious concussion history and Miller is a 30 year old 4th liner. You don't have to give up assets to get a guy like him, there are dozens available every offseason. Plug Pitlick or Moroz into that 4th line wing spot next year, or sign any of about two dozen different guys. Re-sign Smytty even, no issues at all with him playing 4LW

Closed Thread