HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 12:47 AM
HeavyHitter99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Hell no to Quincey. I would rather we play Nurse, Marincin, and Klefa (and that's not something I want)
Yah Quincey is pretty bad. Don't need anymore #6-7 Dmen on our team.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:50 AM
stoff

Quote:
Hell no to Quincey. I would rather we play Nurse, Marincin, and Klefa (and that's not something I want)
Ya I agree. Quincey is not a good defenseman.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:52 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Agreed.

Do your best to get two of Nikitin, Klesla, Morris, Greene, Girardi, Orpik, Meszaros, and Niskanen. Try REAL hard to get Nikitin, Girardi, or Niskanen. I'd even take a flyer on a guy like Pitkanen if he isn't totally broken.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Agreed.

Do your best to get two of Nikitin, Klesla, Morris, Greene, Girardi, Orpik, Meszaros, and Niskanen. Try REAL hard to get Nikitin, Girardi, or Niskanen. I'd even take a flyer on a guy like Pitkanen if he isn't totally broken.
Pitkanen is totally broken. Hasn't played this year, and there is a good chance he won't play ever again.

Even looking past the injury, you'd have to get into the stuff where Mact couldn't stand Pitkanen during his time in Edmonton.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:01 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Pitkanen is totally broken. Hasn't played this year, and there is a good chance he won't play ever again.

Even looking past the injury, you'd have to get into the stuff where Mact couldn't stand Pitkanen during his time in Edmonton.
Be that as it may the Oilers have taken this kind of gamble before (Barker, Grebeshkov).

If he will sign cheap he could be next year's Gilbert. If he's not, stick him in the minors. If he won't sign cheap... well you know the rest haha

Old
02-24-2014, 01:07 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Agreed.

Nikitin and Girardi are my top picks. I worry that Niskanen's play this year is just a product of playing on the penguins and that when he becomes a free agent that a team like the Oilers will pay him way too much and he will disappoint us. He's also never had a season anything like the one he's having this year so I hope it's not just a fluke. He's definitely top 5 for me for Dmen free agents I just worry about getting burned.

I wonder how much it would take to sign those 3 individually?

Old
02-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
If that is true, I will be driving up to Edm, taking off my Oiler jersey throwing it on the ice, and will sport a flames jersey until all Managment is fired.
why, because Yak is so special? the next Bure? not a chance. His ceiling is Patrick Elias and is more likely going to be slightly better than Sergi Samsonov. Never should have picked him in the first place.

didn't you watch the Olympics. 200', two-way players are the best players in the game today. Yak is a one dimensional winger; arguable the least useful player-type in today's game. Unless you can score 50 goals (which I now doubt he ever will), the goalie, 1, 2 and 3D, 1, 2 and 3C, power forwards, and two-way, top 9 forwards are all more important than a Yak type. Look at Vanek; he's useless. People have to come to grips with the new NHL. What used to very valuable is now about number 7 on the list of important pieces.

not saying that a trade of Yak for Calahan is the best idea. I would use Yak to get a D or a C.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:11 AM
HeavyHitter99

Could Pitkanen really be worse than Potter or Fraser? I have a hard time believing it.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:16 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Could Pitkanen really be worse than Potter or Fraser? I have a hard time believing it.
Pitkanen isn't. He's just a broken down shell of his former self.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:24 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
why, because Yak is so special? the next Bure? not a chance. His ceiling is Patrick Elias and is more likely going to be slightly better than Sergi Samsonov. Never should have picked him in the first place.

didn't you watch the Olympics. 200', two-way players are the best players in the game today. Yak is a one dimensional winger; arguable the least useful player-type in today's game. Unless you can score 50 goals (which I now doubt he ever will), the goalie, 1, 2 and 3D, 1, 2 and 3C, power forwards, and two-way, top 9 forwards are all more important than a Yak type. Look at Vanek; he's useless. People have to come to grips with the new NHL. What used to very valuable is now about number 7 on the list of important pieces.

not saying that a trade of Yak for Calahan is the best idea. I would use Yak to get a D or a C.
This just makes me shake my head. The kid is 20 years old for **** sakes. Patrick Elias was a damn good ****ing player, almost scored 100 points in a season if I recall correctly too. Like honestly, he had a fantastic rookie year but suddenly he gets the sophomore slump and people post stuff like this. But apparently at 20 you can't improve your 2 way game, in fact he's probably peaked offensively too right?

The fact that you said Vanek is also a useless player... You just lose all Credibility.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:25 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Pitkanen isn't. He's just a broken down shell of his former self.
If he's cheap I'd rather him be on the team than those 2 or have to rush our prospects if they aren't ready

Old
02-24-2014, 01:29 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Be that as it may the Oilers have taken this kind of gamble before (Barker, Grebeshkov).

If he will sign cheap he could be next year's Gilbert. If he's not, stick him in the minors. If he won't sign cheap... well you know the rest haha
Well, by broken, I mean "will never play hockey again", not "play at a level lower than what he was once capable of" broken. Barker, Greb, Gilbert were never reclaimation projects from a career threatening injury.

As I said as well, there is also the factor that Mactavish isn't going to sign a guy he once publicly mocked over his on-ice fortitude, and even insinuated that he was fabricating injuries. Considering Pitkanen refused to resign with the Oilers as an RFA back in 08, he's not going to come back in 2015 with the same guy he had problems with the first time around now running the team.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:29 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
If he's cheap I'd rather him be on the team than those 2 or have to rush our prospects if they aren't ready
I think the fear surrounds not knowing whether he's Pitkanen of his Oilers/Flyers days (bad #2/good #3 defenceman, even reaching to be a solid #2 option) or ... well... broken down highly touted player that can't play the game at the NHL level, if he ever plays at all.

Potter and Fistric were better than Whitney.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:32 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 132
Joni Pitkanen has missed the season due to injury and quite happy where he is. He does not like playing in Hockey markets

Old
02-24-2014, 01:34 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I think the fear surrounds not knowing whether he's Pitkanen of his Oilers/Flyers days (bad #2/good #3 defenceman, even reaching to be a solid #2 option) or ... well... broken down highly touted player that can't play the game at the NHL level, if he ever plays at all.

Potter and Fistric were better than Whitney.
I agree but if Pitkanen agrees to a 1 year, 2 way deal for $1 million I think it's worth trying. Worst case we send him to OKC, best case is he can play as a #3-4 Dman

Old
02-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Kovacs

I'd be surprised if Nikitin isn't in Oiler colors next season.

Old
02-24-2014, 02:07 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Gagner for all three of Clifford, Eaves, and Miller together. We could have had Eaves for free if we wanted him. Two of the three have serious concussion history and Miller is a 30 year old 4th liner. You don't have to give up assets to get a guy like him, there are dozens available every offseason. Plug Pitlick or Moroz into that 4th line wing spot next year, or sign any of about two dozen different guys. Re-sign Smytty even, no issues at all with him playing 4LW
I just think sometimes on these boards we all watch a guy in the playoffs and he has a good run and that's what people remember. A year and a half ago, everyone was praising Clifford as this young up and coming PF due to a few games he had in the playoffs. Shortly thereafter those same folks were shocked he didn't get more money. Look, I like the guy. He brings an element teams need but just because Gagner isn't putting up a point/GM doesn't mean his value went negative. It's a fit thing with the Oilers right now, he's an asset they can move and hopefully it's a good deal for the Oilers and Sam. I think we can all agree they need a little size in that two hole and another player with good upside in return. The Nashville deal intrigues me but like I've said, Beck or Ekholm need to be included. Wilson just isn't enough as it currently stands.

Old
02-24-2014, 02:19 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Yah Quincey is pretty bad. Don't need anymore #6-7 Dmen on our team.
They can go after all these other guys named but he's the type of guy who they could land. He's not as bad as Detroit fans make him out to be. He's obviously not my choice but he's a hell of a lot better than Nick Schultz, Potter, etc. he's also better than Nikitin. I know that's not saying much but it is what it is. Edmonton just isn't a preferred landing spot on the open market. Nurse isn't ready and I'd rather plug a Quincey or Niskannen in there for two years than ruin a good young player. Marincin emerging helps not having to plug these holes and as of now, Ekblad is a wish. If they can land another NHL ready young guy, we won't have to go to this plan D. Right now though, Quincey is pretty much as good as all the guys named. Flip a coin on which one.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
This just makes me shake my head. The kid is 20 years old for **** sakes. Patrick Elias was a damn good ****ing player, almost scored 100 points in a season if I recall correctly too. Like honestly, he had a fantastic rookie year but suddenly he gets the sophomore slump and people post stuff like this. But apparently at 20 you can't improve your 2 way game, in fact he's probably peaked offensively too right?

The fact that you said Vanek is also a useless player... You just lose all Credibility.
Yes, Elias was good, but I think many of us had higher hopes for Yak. people were talking 50 goal scorer. I seriously doubt that. Hey, he might be good. but, it is anything but a sure thing. he has ALOT of learning to do. he is WAY behind all the 1st overalls of recent years.

And you think Vanek is good? you just lost all credibility. f---ing useless.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Yes, Elias was good, but I think many of us had higher hopes for Yak. people were talking 50 goal scorer. I seriously doubt that. Hey, he might be good. but, it is anything but a sure thing. he has ALOT of learning to do. he is WAY behind all the 1st overalls of recent years.

Ya who needs a 35-40 goal scorer? Those guys are worthless!

Old
02-24-2014, 09:03 AM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

Quote:

hes 20 and youre writing him off already. maybe YOU have alot of learning to do. and youre kidding yourself if you dont think vanek is a goid player.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:05 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I think this belongs here if not, my bad but...

@RealKyper: It's believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

Wonder if the Callahan for MSL speculation is true or if there is something to it.
Lots of respect lost for the guy. That's something I see a 20 year old do not a guy of St.Louis age.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Take this fwiw, but a friend of mine who has become friends with Gagner over the last couple years tells me he's moving. Says MacT called him last night to inform him there is a trade in place to be put through as soon as the freeze lifts.
Well, it looks like it not AS SOON AS the freeze lifts....

Old
02-24-2014, 09:52 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Well, it looks like it not AS SOON AS the freeze lifts....
Our hopes are crushed again

Old
02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
ponokanocker

Based on the rumors that the NYR's are considering moving Girardi and Callahan due to contract negotiations, and Eklund saying there is talk of Yakupov for Callahan, what about this:

To NYR: Yakupov, Belov

To Edm: 2014 1st, Callahan, Girardi

This happens today so McT can try to work out contracts and see what he could get on TDD if they don't sign. NYR's get salary cap to add more pieces at the TDD too.

Closed Thread