HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Based on the rumors that the NYR's are considering moving Girardi and Callahan due to contract negotiations, and Eklund saying there is talk of Yakupov for Callahan, what about this:

To NYR: Yakupov, Belov

To Edm: 2014 1st, Callahan, Girardi

This happens today so McT can try to work out contracts and see what he could get on TDD if they don't sign. NYR's get salary cap to add more pieces at the TDD too.
Too much risk on our part. We can't be trading for UFA's unless they are agreeing to sign a deal once dealt here or unless they are lower end players that cost you very little.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:08 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agron View Post
hes 20 and youre writing him off already. maybe YOU have alot of learning to do. and youre kidding yourself if you dont think vanek is a goid player.
Funny part is Elias was/is an excellent two way forward!

Old
02-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
why, because Yak is so special? the next Bure? not a chance. His ceiling is Patrick Elias and is more likely going to be slightly better than Sergi Samsonov. Never should have picked him in the first place.
Who would you have picked instead that fits the bill for a magical two way stud?

Old
02-24-2014, 09:12 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Who would you have picked instead that fits the bill for a magical two way stud?
Exactly, it's not like any of the other 2012 draft picks have been amazing. Even Galchenyuk who everyone says we should have picked had 23 points and is playing wing.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Lots of respect lost for the guy. That's something I see a 20 year old do not a guy of St.Louis age.
A friend told me to put it this way:

In Tampa Bay, how many years has Martin St. Louis played for them? 14 years. And during those 14 years, who was the face of the franchise? In order from 2000-2014, Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards, and Steven Stamkos. During his time there, not once has been been recognized as the top dog in his stay there. He's won scoring awards, a stanley cup, and has done everything he can to be noticed and be recognized for what he has done. But he was always overshadowed by another top star, which is understandable when you look at the 2014 Team Canada selections and his name wasn't even considered until his teammate Stamkos got injured. He felt tired of being second fiddle. I think everyone now and then hates to be second to someone for a very long time.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that he should have just been quiet about being moved and never make it public to anyone. But I do feel for his situation.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Well, it looks like it not AS SOON AS the freeze lifts....
I would give it time. Remember, people sleep in the NHL Headquarters too. But, yeah, if we don't hear anything today then the rumor is bogus IMO.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Too much risk on our part. We can't be trading for UFA's unless they are agreeing to sign a deal once dealt here or unless they are lower end players that cost you very little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Expect bomb threats at Oiler headquarters if that deal goes through and they aren't signed ASAP. If MacT is trading Yakupov for that package he should already have Girardi's and Callahan's deal in place.
I don't think the move is made unless there is some ability to talk to Girardi and Callahan. You could add clauses that if they aren't resigned, you get additional picks as well. 2015 1st if they both don't resign, 2015 2nd if only one resigns. I think Girardi and Callahan get you at least a 1st each on TDD, plus a prospect of some kind. Huge risk on our part of course, but worst case scenario if they both walk is 4 1st's then and 2 prospects. Not the worst thing in the world. Best case scenario is we get a 1st that could be top 14 if the NYR`s don`t make the playoffs, a legit top 4D and a top 6F that complements our current top 6 really nicely.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Even if you get conditional picks if neither of those guys re signs its still a completely brutal trade for the Oilers.

You dont trade Yaks to get to talk to Girardi. Isn't Callahan expiring too? Yeah, think more along the lines of Hemsky.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:48 AM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Nikitin and Girardi are my top picks. I worry that Niskanen's play this year is just a product of playing on the penguins and that when he becomes a free agent that a team like the Oilers will pay him way too much and he will disappoint us. He's also never had a season anything like the one he's having this year so I hope it's not just a fluke. He's definitely top 5 for me for Dmen free agents I just worry about getting burned.

I wonder how much it would take to sign those 3 individually?
ive seen a few PIT games this year... Niskanen was the best Dman for them in most of those. I dont think PIT can afford to lose him as a UFA.. They'll find a way to get him locked up.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:51 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
ive seen a few PIT games this year... Niskanen was the best Dman for them in most of those. I dont think PIT can afford to lose him as a UFA.. They'll find a way to get him locked up.
unless they thing Maata and Despres are ready for full time, Maata already is and they can flip him for an asset. but i agree Niskanen has been great in the games i watched

Old
02-24-2014, 09:54 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Even if you get conditional picks if neither of those guys re signs its still a completely brutal trade for the Oilers.

You dont trade Yaks to get to talk to Girardi. Isn't Callahan expiring too? Yeah, think more along the lines of Hemsky.
Yea exactly, noth guys UFA's. Even with conditional picks it's a brutal deal. No way would I trade Yak for four 1st's. We need players now not 5-6 years from now.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I would give it time. Remember, people sleep in the NHL Headquarters too. But, yeah, if we don't hear anything today then the rumor is bogus IMO.
I'm thinking not much, if anything, will go down until trade deadline day with the Oilers. Since they have three more games until March 5th, they might as well wait to try and increase the value of the suspected trade candidates.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
I'm thinking not much, if anything, will go down until trade deadline day with the Oilers. Since they have three more games until March 5th, they might as well wait to try and increase the value of the suspected trade candidates.
oh I agree. I trust MacT so far when it comes to trades. He's been doing really well. So I am giving him the benefit of the doubt on TDD. Like I said in a rumor thread on the main board, MacT isn't being pressured to dump all his UFAs for prospects and picks because he knows we want to win now. So I feel he will try to maximize the trade value before pulling the trigger. Even the one trade people thought was horrible turned out to be a good one IMO of Smid, Roy to Calgary for Brossoit, Horak.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:13 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

We can't risk taking on to-be UFAs, unless they're in a situation like Scrivens, who (a) wants to be a #1, and (b) is from the Edmonton area.

I'd probably trade or at least consider trading Yak for signed Girardi and Callahan though.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Lots of respect lost for the guy. That's something I see a 20 year old do not a guy of St.Louis age.
He was left off by HIS GM, that's writing on the wall if I've ever seen it.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He was left off by HIS GM, that's writing on the wall if I've ever seen it.
The fact is team canada didn't need MSL so maybe HIS GM wasn't exactly wrong for leaving him off.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
The fact is team canada didn't need MSL so maybe HIS GM wasn't exactly wrong for leaving him off.
But controversy and excitement!

Old
02-24-2014, 10:58 AM
jp7

So should we be expecting a Gagner move sometime today or are they going to wait it out until the deadline? I remember someone saying Stauffer was hinting it was pretty much a done deal

Old
02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Based on the rumors that the NYR's are considering moving Girardi and Callahan due to contract negotiations, and Eklund saying there is talk of Yakupov for Callahan, what about this:

To NYR: Yakupov, Belov

To Edm: 2014 1st, Callahan, Girardi

This happens today so McT can try to work out contracts and see what he could get on TDD if they don't sign. NYR's get salary cap to add more pieces at the TDD too.
2 free agents and a mid-late first for Yakupov and Belov? Far to risky a return for Yak. We could potentially end up with nothing.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:06 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7 View Post
So should we be expecting a Gagner move sometime today or are they going to wait it out until the deadline? I remember someone saying Stauffer was hinting it was pretty much a done deal
If anything was to go down, I expect it to happen around noon. For some reason this year, Edmonton seems to release stuff around lunch time.

I'd expect they wait until the trade deadline to get full value for him though, unless they are worried about having to deal too many people in one day...

Right now I would assume the following is on the outs by the TDD:

Gagner
Hemsky
N Schultz
possibly Smyth
R Jones
and Belov if anyone will take him.

Old
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7 View Post
Gagner won't be traded today. Let's call it a hunch

Old
02-24-2014, 11:13 AM
jp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
If anything was to go down, I expect it to happen around noon. For some reason this year, Edmonton seems to release stuff around lunch time.

I'd expect they wait until the trade deadline to get full value for him though, unless they are worried about having to deal too many people in one day...

Right now I would assume the following is on the outs by the TDD:

Gagner
Hemsky
N Schultz
possibly Smyth
R Jones
and Belov if anyone will take him.
Lots of guys on the block, I'm excited to see what happens on March 5th... it's about all we have to look forward to until the draft. Not expecting big returns or anything though.

I think they'll wait out any trades unless the rumor about them having a deal pretty much in place is true

Old
02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Team Canada won with a team that had roster problems. The reality we should draw from it isn't that they "picked the right team", it's that Canadian Hockey is SO MUCH better then the rest of the world RIGHT NOW, they can pick a team with question marks and still utterly dominate.

And yes, He ABSOLUTELY was wrong in not picking the former Hart winner, Stanley Cup Champion, Captain of his team and last year's Art Ross winner at age "almost Selanne Old"

He has a problem with it, and that's Completely reasonable, leaving him off the team for some slug piece **** like Kunitz isn't..

Old
02-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
You can PM me if you wish, but "friend of a friend" hearsay is near impossible to validate and worth what you've stated it to be.

You can open up a grain-of-salt stand and sell it for bit coin if you'd like. I'd like a share of the profit though.
This is the issue I have with this stuff... A 'rumor' is a 'rumor'...

ru·mor [roo-mer] Show IPA
noun
a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts:

good enough for me.. who cares if its valid or not..

Old
02-24-2014, 11:37 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
With Letang and Maata, do they need another puck mover like Niskanen? Keep in mind that Shero is in love with Orpik and will likely re-sign him and I don't think Martin's deal is up yet...that's 4 top 4 d-men already, so Niskanen simply may not want to re-sign there if he wants to expand his role and cash in on a big contract sometime in the future.

Closed Thread