HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hart Trophy worthy season without winning one.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Sprague Cleghorn
User Registered

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copmuters View Post
Doug Gilmour '93

Lead the Leafs with 132 points, +32

Borchevsky was 2nd on the team with 78 points
Glenn Anderson 3rd with 65 points

And a case could be made that Hasek deserved a few more Hart trophies during his time with the Sabres
It was actually 127 points but I agree with your point. Gilmour was THE Leafs in '93.

Sprague Cleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Copmuter*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
It was actually 127 points but I agree with your point. Gilmour was THE Leafs in '93.
Right. 127.

It wouldn't surprise me if he lead all forwards in ice time that season

Powerplay, shorthanded, even strength, it didn't matter... he was out there

Copmuter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 01:37 AM
shazariahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
Parent in 74 and 75, Robinson in 77, Potvin in 78 and 79, Bossy in 82, Yzerman in 89.
Yzerman in 89? Wasn't it bad enough he won the Pearson over Lemieux, you'd give him the Hart as well? And seriously, Bossy in 82 over Gretzky? Wayne broke records for most goals, most assists, most points, and 50 goals in 50 games, shattering all 4 of them by unbelievable amounts. Many people consider this Wayne's best season of all time. I'm not sure what argument would be made for Bossy over that. It wasn't like Bossy played for a bad team or anything...

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazariahl View Post
Yzerman in 89? Wasn't it bad enough he won the Pearson over Lemieux, you'd give him the Hart as well? And seriously, Bossy in 82 over Gretzky? Wayne broke records for most goals, most assists, most points, and 50 goals in 50 games, shattering all 4 of them by unbelievable amounts. Many people consider this Wayne's best season of all time. I'm not sure what argument would be made for Bossy over that. It wasn't like Bossy played for a bad team or anything...
From what I gather, the original question was Hart Trophy "worthy" season without winning one. Not that they necessarily deserved it over the actual winner. Case in point, Yzerman in 1989 was definitely one of those seasons where you could name several Hart trophy winning seasons that he was better than.

But I do agree, if there was anyone who got the shaft that year it was Mario. There are times I can see the argument that Gretzky gets the Hart. Sometimes it makes sense to me. But the Pearson NOT going to Mario in 1989 was a travesty based on the definition of the award. No way should a guy with 44 less points and 20 less goals be considered "more outstanding". I know there was a bit of a bias against Mario at that time, but come on.

Last edited by Big Phil: 02-14-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Sprague Cleghorn
User Registered

Quote:
I was going to make a post like this but then I was reminded what the title was.

Old
02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Sprague Cleghorn
User Registered

Very surprising Maurice Richard's 50 in 50 season in 1944-45 hasn't been mentioned yet at all.

I'd have to say this ranks Top-3 all-time in Hart worthy seasons without winning one and one of the biggest robberies ever.

Lach did set the assists record and win the Art Ross but what is that compared to 50 in 50.

Old
02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Moose Head

Quote:
Never said they were the best candidate those particular seasons. Only extremely valuable players that didnt win, but normally might have.

I just chose guys I didn't really see mentioned yet.

Last edited by Moose Head: 02-14-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 12:13 AM
bigbuffalo313

Lundqvist in 2012 could have won. He was unlucky that his career season happened to be the same year as Malkin's

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 03:54 AM
Plural

vCash: 50
Quote:
In the spirit of this thread the example is valid.

Yzerman should definitely NOT have taken the Hart that year and the Pearson was robbed from Mario. But in all-time sense Yzerman had a season that would most likely have netted him Hart without Mario & Gretzky.

Plural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 04:04 AM
Evincar
I have found the way

Eric Lindros in 1995-96
Joe Thornton in 2006-07 (More impressive than his 2005-06 season imo)

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:14 AM
shazariahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
Never said they were the best candidate those particular seasons. Only extremely valuable players that didnt win, but normally might have.

I just chose guys I didn't really see mentioned yet.
Ok, sorry. I was taking it more along the lines of people who should have won the Hart that year but didn't. Please accept my apology.

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:46 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envincar View Post
Eric Lindros in 1995-96
Joe Thornton in 2006-07 (More impressive than his 2005-06 season imo)
Jagr and Lemieux were far and away the best players in the NHL that season.

Lindros being a Hart finalist over Jagr is sham on its own. I guess having Lemieux on his team hurt Jagr's chances of being a Hart finalist.

I think Jagr's 1995-96 season might be one of the most unappreciated seasons in NHL history.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote