HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How much of a chance does Noronen have to start?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
JayRice66

vCash: 500
How much of a chance does Noronen have to start?

Hello guys, i'm a huge pens fan. But ive always like the Sabres and I was curious what the chances of Noronen starting were?

Hes always been on of my favorite players since he was drafted. I also know that you guys have some damn good depth at goaltender. So who do you feel will eventually be the future netminder?

Old
08-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRice66
Hello guys, i'm a huge pens fan. But ive always like the Sabres and I was curious what the chances of Noronen starting were?

Hes always been on of my favorite players since he was drafted. I also know that you guys have some damn good depth at goaltender. So who do you feel will eventually be the future netminder?
Save us all the torture of continuing with this topic....

ok, ok, I'll go first BIRON IS OUR MAN!! (just kidding)

Old
08-07-2005, 10:05 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Save us all the torture of continuing with this topic....

ok, ok, I'll go first BIRON IS OUR MAN!! (just kidding)
Noronen, Miller, and Biron are all about equal in terms of chances of starting. I'd like to see Biron+foward traded to get a d-man and Miller/Noronen split time until one emerges as a NHL star.

Old
08-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Noronen, Miller, and Biron are all about equal in terms of chances of starting. I'd like to see Biron+foward traded to get a d-man and Miller/Noronen split time until one emerges as a NHL star.
I could deal with that....

Old
08-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't think Ruff or Regier is particularly enamored with Noronen, but he's the cheapest of the three so that has to be taken into account....

08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Noronen's chances are slim. He'll have to play really well and both Biron and Miller will have to stink.

Old
08-08-2005, 04:39 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Noronen is unfortunately the odd man out so long as all three goalies remain. The organization has always shown that they believe in Biron for now and Miller for the future.

Many (probably most) of us would like to see Biron traded and Noronen split duties with Miller for this season.

Biron is the posterboy for post-Hasek failure in this organization and really should get a fresh start somewhere else.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
Noronen is unfortunately the odd man out so long as all three goalies remain. The organization has always shown that they believe in Biron for now and Miller for the future.

Many (probably most) of us would like to see Biron traded and Noronen split duties with Miller for this season.

Biron is the posterboy for post-Hasek failure in this organization and really should get a fresh start somewhere else.
Jim Kelley believes Noronen will be the goaltender that will be moved off the sabres roster. he says hes got the most trade value since he's cheap and the Finland program has been producing very good goaltenders as of late.

Personally, i dont want him to move but if he is moved, it better not be for Bob Corkum and move him to the West

Old
08-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
Jim Kelley believes Noronen will be the goaltender that will be moved off the sabres roster. he says hes got the most trade value since he's cheap and the Finland program has been producing very good goaltenders as of late.

Personally, i dont want him to move but if he is moved, it better not be for Bob Corkum and move him to the West
Biron will turn 28 this month. Twenty-eight.... 11100. He's fully developed, is a second-half goalie: nothing more. He should go.

I worry about Miller taking over the starting position, he flashes greatness, but also has not been able to adjust to the NHL yet. He had that great year in Rochester, so we shall see.

Noronen is the biggest question mark in that position. I've really loved what I've seen out of him in the past (excluding 03/04).

Split time is a great idea between Miller and Noronen. If we trade Biron and things don't work out, we will have to bring in someone else. But what is obvious right now is that 3 is not a good number in that position.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Briere03

Miller should be our man, in my opinion.

Old
08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

we've gotta part with Noronen. Play Biron with Miller behind him, let Miller earn the spot much like the Willis McGahee/Travis Henry situation. Noronen has a decent worth to him, and is the cheapest of the three goalies, I believe, in terms of salary.

Old
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27
we've gotta part with Noronen. Play Biron with Miller behind him, let Miller earn the spot much like the Willis McGahee/Travis Henry situation. Noronen has a decent worth to him, and is the cheapest of the three goalies, I believe, in terms of salary.
dont compare football to hockey

Old
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
sabresfan3383

Send a message via AIM to sabresfan3383
Mika has got to be the #1 going into this year. While Marty has shown flashes of brilliance, he lets in way too many goals in the opening and closing minute of periods. Mika definately outplayed Marty at the end of 03/4 and I think should rewarded for actually going out and playing during the lockout, unlike Marty, who I am pretty sure anyone in this board in the Buffalo area ran into at somepoint during the lockout (Myself on at least 10 occasions) Mika should get 55-70 games, with RyMo filling the rest.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Fan-of-#9

Why Noronen won't start this year:

1) If 1 goalie is to be traded, the most likely one to go is Mika, his low salary makes him much more attractive for teams needing some help with depth or looking for a potential Kipprusoff this season, especially with so many teams closing in on the cap ceiling...I don't think there is one team that has a #1 slot for him this coming year, unless of course he makes some sort of unbelievable splash in training camp.

2) Marty made a case for the starting job last time out, posting solid numbers : 28-18-5 with a .913 SV%. We all know how management feels about Marty so it's pretty clear that he is slated for the #1 job, whether Mika is here or not.

In terms of the goalie situation though, i still feel it is totally up in the air. I'm sure Regier will make a move involving a goaltender, with all 3 having the potential to be traded. I must say though that it's very unencouraging (if that's a word) to know that Marty didn't take the initiative to stay sharp and improve his game during the lockout, we'll have to wait and see what happens here.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
2) Marty made a case for the starting job last time out, posting solid numbers : 28-18-5 with a .913 SV%.
Expanding on that:

Last 5 games 2003-04
Biron: 4-1-1, 1.32GAA, .956SA
Noronen: 0-4-1, 4.30GAA, .860SA

Pre All-Star Game
Biron: 14-11-4, 2.50GAA, .914 SA
Noronen: 9-13-1, 2.23GAA, .915SA

Post All-Star Game:
Biron: 12-7-1, 2.56GAA. .913SA
Noronen: 2-4-1, 3.83GAA, .875SA

Biron's play didn't deviate much from the first half of 2003-04 to the second, and he stepped up his play when it counted. Biron has been a starter for 3 seasons. In 2 of those he had a better than .500 record. He's good enough to take the Sabres to the playoffs with any kind of support from a backup. I hope he improves, and there's no reason he can't, but by any measure, he's the best shot the Sabres have.

It's worth noting that the starting goaltender's job was Noronen's to lose following the 2002-03 season when Biron played poorly and Noronen finished strong. Noronen did nothing in camp or preseason to keep the job.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:36 PM
bure94

Would Cloutier (or say a 2nd or 3rd) and Koltsov be enough to trade for Noronen from Buffalo ?

Cloutier is set to earn 2.3m, and that's too much for us ...

Old
08-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Endless Ike

it's too much for us too...

Old
08-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
Would Cloutier (or say a 2nd or 3rd) and Koltsov be enough to trade for Noronen from Buffalo ?

Cloutier is set to earn 2.3m, and that's too much for us ...
The Sabres wouldn't want Cloutier for the same reason, not to mention it would just create another log jam. Miller has to play in the NHL at some point this season. He need to get in 10 games or he becomes an UFA. Tampa Bay could be interested in Cloutier.

Koltsov alone would be great. The only problem is I don't know whether he's signed by the Canucks or he only signed an AHL deal last season with Manitoba. If he doesn't have an NHL contract, he'll become an UFA if not signed by next June 1st since he was a 2002 pick. So how about Koltsov plus a conditional 2nd round pick (if he doesn't sign) for Nornonen?

Old
08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
bure94

Koltsov I believe is signed to a rookie contract (2-way) which expires next season.

Noronen for Koltsov, conditional 2nd sounds good.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Then you don't even need to include the conditional 2nd. Koltsov for Noronen is fine. Quit trying to overpay.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Rowley Birkin

Koltsov for Mika would be horrible for us. Just horrible

Old
08-09-2005, 10:14 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Koltsov for Mika would be horrible for us. Just horrible
Yeah i gotta agree with you, not thata Noronen is some hot shot prospect. We have to get a Defensive Defenseman. I would start off talks by asking for Allen. Maybe Mika and Stafford to Van. Allen...Koltsov reminds me to much of Jillson/Tallinder/Soup...

Old
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Rowley Birkin

I wouldn't mind Allen. But honestly, i'd rather trade Miller than trade Mika.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Lapps

Send a message via AIM to Lapps
With Thibault getting only, what - a 4th? and keeping in line with the returns others have gotten recently- would we even be able to get a roster player or ready-to-graduate prospect for any of our goalies? I know there are injury concerns with t-bo which may have impacted his worth, but still, this seems to be the trend and there are a lot of goalies to be had. By the time most are moved teams won't need one of our guys.

Is it worth trading one of our 3 guys for a mid-round draft pick?

Old
08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Yeah i gotta agree with you, not thata Noronen is some hot shot prospect. We have to get a Defensive Defenseman. I would start off talks by asking for Allen. Maybe Mika and Stafford to Van. Allen...Koltsov reminds me to much of Jillson/Tallinder/Soup...
I want Noronen to be the starter. BUT If we could land Bryan Allen id do backflips of joy.

Closed Thread