HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

XXII Olympic Winter Games All Sports, Continued PARALYMPIC GAMES

Old
02-16-2014, 08:40 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
I've been watching a lot as well and haven't seen one ceremony yet. NBC yucks this up every olympic year.
I watch most of the Olympics and I have seen only the three American Snowboard win all three Bronze Silver Gold. To me that was always one of the best parts to see the pride athletes have after their accomplishment of winning for their country. With five channels you would think there would be more of it.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:05 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

NBC is a horrendous network in general, and their "coverage" of 50% Olympic sports, 50% human interest/emotion stories rather than 100% Olympic sports is maddening.

But that, "intentionally pepper Bode Miller with questions about his dead brother until he has an emotional breakdown on television" thing tonight is perhaps the lowest thing I've seen on TV in a while.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
MadDevil

Honestly, outside of the hockey I really haven't watched much of the Olympics. I'll have it on in the background if I'm doing something else, but I don't really pay much attention to it. I saw Trautwig's ugly mug doing some event and immediately turned the channel.

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:34 PM
JK3
THE GRINCH

It just pisses me off to no end that I can put so much time watching that network and not yet see one medal ceremony. I don't care who or what country, just the pride in that moment of a person and country when those flags go up and the anthem plays, that's what it's all about.

Instead I get Merideth Veira's wrinkled head and awful turkey neck in horrifying HD on a big screen immediately coming out of a commercial. They go from black to a zoomed in shot of her, yikes, me and my niece both jumped and yelled at the same time, it scared the crap out of us.

JK3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3 View Post
Instead I get Merideth Veira's wrinkled head and awful turkey neck in horrifying HD on a big screen immediately coming out of a commercial. They go from black to a zoomed in shot of her, yikes, me and my niece both jumped and yelled at the same time, it scared the crap out of us.
I spit out some Dr Pepper a little bit!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:37 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
NBC is a horrendous network in general, and their "coverage" of 50% Olympic sports, 50% human interest/emotion stories rather than 100% Olympic sports is maddening.

But that, "intentionally pepper Bode Miller with questions about his dead brother until he has an emotional breakdown on television" thing tonight is perhaps the lowest thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Well, NBC isn’t winning anyone over after what reporter Christin Cooper did. Cooper was interviewing United States Olympic skier Bode Miller and asked him repeatedly about his dead brother till he...
View on http://fansided.co

I think we both shot off at NBC right after the interview. Twitter on NBC Blew up big time on them. Absolute Garbage

Old
02-16-2014, 11:43 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
It just pisses me off to no end that I can put so much time watching that network and not yet see one medal ceremony. I don't care who or what country, just the pride in that moment of a person and country when those flags go up and the anthem plays, that's what it's all about.

How True and Matt Lauer is just pathetic along with Mr political red eye Bob with his worthless points.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:53 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Transcript of one of the worst interviews I have ever heard.

Cooper: Bode, such an extraordinary accomplishment, at your age, after a turbulent year, coming back from knee surgery, to get this medal today, put it in perspective. How much does this mean to you?
Miller: I mean it's incredible. I always feel like I'm capable of winning medals but as we've seen this Olympics it's not that easy. To be on the podium, this was a really big day for me. Emotionally, I had a lot riding on it. Even though I really didn't ski my best, I'm just super super happy.
Cooper: For a guy who says that medals don't really matter, that they aren't the thing, you've amassed quite a collection. What does this one mean to you in terms of all the others.
Miller: This was a little different. You know with my brother passing away, I really wanted to come back here and race the way he sensed it. This one is different.
Cooper: Bode, you're showing so much emotion down here, what's going through your mind?
Miller: Um, I mean, a lot. Obviously just a long struggle coming in here. It's just a tough year.
Cooper: I know you wanted to be here with Chelly, really experiencing these games. How much does this mean to you to come up with this great performance for him? And was it for him?
Miller: I don't know if it's really for him but I wanted to come here and, I dunno, make myself proud, but ... (trails off)
Cooper: When you're looking up in the sky at the start, we see you there and it looks like you're talking to somebody. What's going on there?
Miller: (breaks down and cries, Cooper puts an arm on him)

This is not part of the Olympic Spirit Christian Cooper.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:57 PM
JK3
THE GRINCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I spit out some Dr Pepper a little bit!
HD isn't very flattering, it's awesome for watching sports though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
How True and Matt Lauer is just pathetic along with Mr political red eye Bob with his worthless points.
I'm glad I didn't see that Bode Miller interview, that just sounds awful on their part.

Cris Collinsworth talking about hockey lol. I know it's about the athletes and such but those hosts are just cringe worthy.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:06 AM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
HD isn't very flattering, it's awesome for watching sports though.

I'm glad I didn't see that Bode Miller interview, that just sounds awful on their part.

Cris Collinsworth talking about hockey lol. I know it's about the athletes and such but those hosts are just cringe worthy.
Yeah Al Michael gets a pass but Chris NO just flat out boring. I think I would have rather watched Millsbury in his spot and that's saying a lot.

If you see that interview its the reason Twitter blew up on NBC and rightfully so.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:35 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:

I can agree with this and do you know who is actually one of their best commentators, staying away from emotional BS? Johnny Weir. He is having absolutely weird clothes but he is doing a heck of a job, staying focused on the athletes performances and nothing else.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 12:35 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
If you see that interview its the reason Twitter blew up on NBC and rightfully so.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way and that Twitter destroyed NBC.

There was also something very odd about how that interview ended (and I dont mean Miller's breakdown). After Miller drops to the ground the camera pans wide and she's nowhere to be found. I almost wonder if someone from USA Ski or Miller's group dragged her the hell out of there.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:45 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

I should add too, that I'm pretty obsessed with the winter Olympics and if I havent been at work or skiing myself, I'm watching. Point being, I can tell you that NBC has continued this "emotional" crap all week long, the Miller bit was just the worst example so far.

But if you were watching men's skeleton yesterday a VERY similar interview happened.

There were 2 US men fighting for the Bronze medal (they were too far behind for Gold or Silver, and 5th place wasnt close enough to challenge them). The first guy, his name is Daly, who has trained for years mind you, fails to get on his sled properly in the final run, a 1 in 1000 mistake, and the other American wins Bronze.

Long story short, NBC has time for 1 interview, they pick the guy who just threw away the bronze! They just KEPT asking him, "how does it feel to work for something your entire life, have it that close, and then just screw up when it matters most" - type questions until he predictably broke down and cried on live television. It was awful.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

at least we get decent coverage watching on nbcsn, but yeah, the primetime tape delayed crap on the big network is near unwatchable. i also hate that the cable at my school doesn't get msnbc when more often than not whatever is on there is more interesting to me than other channels.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Lous Special Sauce

Quote:
I should add too, that I'm pretty obsessed with the winter Olympics and if I havent been at work or skiing myself, I'm watching. Point being, I can tell you that NBC has continued this "emotional" crap all week long, the Miller bit was just the worst example so far.

But if you were watching men's skeleton yesterday a VERY similar interview happened.

There were 2 US men fighting for the Bronze medal (they were too far behind for Gold or Silver, and 5th place wasnt close enough to challenge them). The first guy, his name is Daly, who has trained for years mind you, fails to get on his sled properly in the final run, a 1 in 1000 mistake, and the other American wins Bronze.

Long story short, NBC has time for 1 interview, they pick the guy who just threw away the bronze! They just KEPT asking him, "how does it feel to work for something your entire life, have it that close, and then just screw up when it matters most" - type questions until he predictably broke down and cried on live television. It was awful.

Same thing happened two nights ago with women's skeleton with the American who came in 4th (with the red hair)

Lous Special Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 01:34 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Lindsey Jacobellis has to be the biggest choker in Winter Olympic history.

Benedict Parisechuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:13 AM
NC107*

Quote:

It was a terrible interview, 3 questions same subject, try try and try again.

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:

5 channels used simultaneously during the summer olympics to cover multiple events in their entirety. 1 hour, 2 hour blocks here and there to feed the events to us.

Now we get 3 hours on NBCSports, and hour of curling on MSNBC maybe and at the peak a 2nd hockey game on USA while NBC is empty all day long only to continue their ice dancing and snowboarding coverage in between host commentary in prime time.

Want to see speedskating? Bobsled? Skeleton? Downhill? Sorry - you get a highlight package of the top 3 in the standings and the USA runs only.

Then to make it even worse, they'll show the exact same program 6 hours later in primetime rather than a different set of events. You'd think they have 4 cameras and one dish to uplink the footage or something over there.

Screw NBC. It's like they paid for exclusive rights just to NOT have to air the winter games.

But hey - we'll show you the Sweden vs Russia women's curling match in it's entirety! JOY.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Japam
Gobbling Pucks

That Bode Miller interview was just so painful to watch. I mean it wasn't even like she was prying into something controversial. 3 of the same questions reworded in a row. The media is so pathetic.

Lindsey Jacobellis - Ugh what the hell. She is too fast (and a little stupid) for her own good.

The USA shootout win. I think I've seen it replayed more times in the past 2 days than I can count, and I can count to potato. I'm glad the US is proud of that win, but enough milking it. They already do enough of that with the 1980 win.

Japam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:37 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Olympic TV Schedule: Monday, Feb. 17

Time (ET) Network Sports televised
12:30am NBC Primetime Replay
3am NBCSN Women’s Curling: Russia vs. Great Britain
Women’s Curling: USA vs. South Korea
5am USA Network Men’s Curling: USA vs. Switzerland
7am NBCSN Women’s Hockey: Semifinal (LIVE)
10am NBCSN Figure Skating: Free Dance (LIVE)
12pm MSNBC Women’s Hockey: Semifinal (LIVE)
1:30pm NBCSN Biathlon: Women’s 12.5km Mass Start
Ski Jumping: Men’s Team Large Hill
3pm NBC Biathlon: Women’s 12.5km Mass Start
Bobsled: Two-Man, Runs 3 & 4
3pm NBCSN Hockey
5pm NBCSN Hockey: Game of the Day
5pm CNBC Women’s Curling: Denmark vs. Great Britain
8pm NBC Figure Skating: Free Dance
Freestyle Skiing: Men’s Aerials
Ski Jumping: Men’s Team Large Hill
Snowboarding: Men’s Snowboard Cross

Old
02-17-2014, 06:15 PM
CHIP72

Quote:

I saw the John Daly interview (and his skeleton run when his sled jumped out of the runner grooves at the start ruining his entire final run), and I give him a lot of credit for being willing to be interviewed considering what had just happened. If I were him, I would have declined to be interviewed.

The Miller interview (which I also saw when it was first televised) was cringe-worthy. The interviewer should have been sensitive enough to see Miller was emotionally distraught and was breaking down after her second-to-last question. The interview reminded me in some ways of the infamous Jim Gray interview with Pete Rose during the 1999 World Series.

CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lous Special Sauce View Post
Same thing happened two nights ago with women's skeleton with the American who came in 4th (with the red hair)
Good point, I forgot about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Parisechuk View Post
Lindsey Jacobellis has to be the biggest choker in Winter Olympic history.
She didn't "choke" in 2006, she "I'm a moron'd".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

Screw NBC. It's like they paid for exclusive rights just to NOT have to air the winter games.
I made a solemn vow this week. This is the LAST winter Olympics I'm beholden to NBC's target demographic research and female viewership ploys.

In 2018, I'm going to hook my computer up to via HDMI to my television set and go that route. I've never done that before to watch TV, but it cant be that hard. Never again will I miss downhill, GS, Slalom, and Super-G, and have to settle for the 6 skiers NBC decides to let me watch. And even then the results are RUINDED, becuase you know whichever foreign skier they do the little 2 minute bio on surely won a medal, probably gold. UGH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post

The Miller interview (which I also saw when it was first televised) was cringe-worthy. The interviewer should have been sensitive enough to see Miller was emotionally distraught and was breaking down after her second-to-last question.
It wasnt an accident, the questions were designed to do so.

Old
02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
CHIP72

BenedictGomez - I agree with what you're saying (about the NBC interviewer's questions to Bode Miller), but IMO at some point TV interviewers should try to remember that they are human beings first and TV interviewers second.

CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:31 PM
JK3
THE GRINCH

Wow just saw some of the cross country skiing, what a slush fest. Looks like Mountain Creek in the spring lol.

Old
02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Olympic TV Schedule: Tuesday, Feb. 18

Time (ET) Network Sports televised
1am NBC Figure Skating: Recap
2am NBC Primetime Replay
3am NBCSN Men’s Hockey: Playoff Round (LIVE)
5:30am NBCSN Nordic Combined: Individual Large Hill, Jumping Phase
7am NBCSN Men’s Hockey: Playoff Round (LIVE)
10am NBCSN Nordic Combined: Individual Large Hill, Cross-Country Phase
12pm NBCSN Men’s Hockey: Playoff Round (LIVE)
12pm MSNBC Men’s Hockey: Playoff Round (LIVE)
3pm NBCSN Hockey
3pm NBC Nordic Combined: Individual Large Hill
Speed Skating: Men’s 10000m
5pm CNBC Curling: Tiebreaker Match
5pm NBCSN Hockey: Game of the Day
8pm NBC Alpine Skiing: Women’s Giant Slalom
Freestyle Skiing: Men’s Halfpipe
Short Track: Women’s Relay
Women’s Bobsled