HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Thread (ALL NON-HOCKEY TALK)

Old
02-11-2014, 11:27 AM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
god i love curling, especially female curling.

eagerly awaiting the swiss team :drool:

lol karlsson and alfredsson watching the game. erik probably doesn't believe in blocking stones in curling
One of my favorite sports to watch

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 11:28 AM
roy munson

So basically, they're making fun of CBC for going the extra mile to pronounce french names… in french. I'd like to know how he'd feel if I pronounced his name in french? I always thought announcers could make a little effort not to say "Mario Lemiou" and "Patrick Rouâ"...

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
So basically, they're making fun of CBC for going the extra mile to pronounce french names… in french. I'd like to know how he'd feel if I pronounced his name in french?
The whole thing is just so far fetched and absurd, i've a hard time understanding why they let him do that segment in the first place.

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
So basically, they're making fun of CBC for going the extra mile to pronounce french names… in french. I'd like to know how he'd feel if I pronounced his name in french? I always thought announcers could make a little effort not to say "Mario Lemiou" and "Patrick Rouâ"...
"Roua" is not that bad. Most pronounce it "Wah".

But anyway, "foreign language", really? I can only imagine the outrage on here if the same was said about English by a Francophone on TV...

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I'll just be straight up thread banning people who can't keep political comments out of their 'olympics' talk.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
So... *looking nervously around*

How bout those Canadians at the Olympics huh..?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Im still waiting for that nsfw Justin-dewfore-lapointy gif.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

well!

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
I want to see Carmen.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
I want to see Carmen.

russian team...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Maverik

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 02:09 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDs not undersized View Post
There's a pretty big buzz on Twitter about this piece of art from Sun News network. They mock CBC for pronouncing the French speaking athletes names correctly, using what they call a "foreign language", as if it was something really odd. For us French speaker, this is just normal to pronounce English speaking names with an English accent, and most sports broadcasters try to say foreign names in foreign accents too. This is just respectul for the people you talk about to try to say their name correctly, right?

I'm sorry, but this is Alexandre Bilodeau. Not Alexander!

Since this board is mostly English speaking, I'd love to hear your opinion about that.
The "smelly bumpkin" remark was ludicrous.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDs not undersized View Post
There's a pretty big buzz on Twitter about this piece of art from Sun News network. They mock CBC for pronouncing the French speaking athletes names correctly, using what they call a "foreign language", as if it was something really odd. For us French speaker, this is just normal to pronounce English speaking names with an English accent, and most sports broadcasters try to say foreign names in foreign accents too. This is just respectul for the people you talk about to try to say their name correctly, right?

I'm sorry, but this is Alexandre Bilodeau. Not Alexander!

Since this board is mostly English speaking, I'd love to hear your opinion about that.
Trying to keep this non-political, but it's definitely a dick move. They're trying to stir up controversy to get views/hits/reads whatever. Paying them any attention is giving them exactly what they want. let them be idiots on their own.

As for all francophones trying to pronounce all anglophone names with the anglo accent, while the effort may be there in some cases, it's just not true much of the time. I don't think it's a disrespect thing, but some words/names are really hard to say if you only have experience in the one language. The franco side of my family always pronounced my name kevin, an incredibly anglo name with the french accent, always coming out like 'kevune'. Kinda like...:

Was just normal for me, I guess.

Just yesterday I joked around with the guy at Subway because the word Cheddar is just so ugly in french.

Not sure where I really stand on announcers having to learn the correct pronunciation in the athlete's own tongue. Much easier said than done.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm sorry, curling is just too boring to watch, no matter how attractive you think they are.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm sorry, curling is just too boring to watch, no matter how attractive you think they are.
It's one of those sports that isn't fun to watch if you never played it.

Played curling for a year when I was in HS. It's surprisingly difficult. In a way, it feels a bit like playing pool.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:07 PM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Not sure where I really stand on announcers having to learn the correct pronunciation in the athlete's own tongue. Much easier said than done.
I think when they at least try it's okay. Of course someone who is not speaking french regularly wont be able to say some names properly. I can write okay in english but i'm terrible at speaking it. I know how to say most of the words. In my head it's clear. My tongue simply can't do it lol

As long as someone is trying it shows respect and i don't mind.

I don't mind Brodure. I did not mind Roah that much. But i think it's a little stupid to say Celine Dionne. Cause Dionne is a real name in french too. Like Marcel Dionne the retired NHL player. It's not the same name as Dion and the prononciation is not really that close. Prople could at least try to say Dion. I know it's hard but trying never killed anyone

I'm still trying to say three the right way after like 10 years playing games online rofl. It reminds me a joke someone i was playing WoW with told me. French can't count to 4 in english because there's a tree in the way XD

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its boring because they changed the game. It used to be played with a curling iron but the exension cords were a b*tch so thay changed it for a shot rock instead...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:09 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Trying to keep this non-political, but it's definitely a dick move. They're trying to stir up controversy to get views/hits/reads whatever. Paying them any attention is giving them exactly what they want. let them be idiots on their own.

As for all francophones trying to pronounce all anglophone names with the anglo accent, while the effort may be there in some cases, it's just not true much of the time. I don't think it's a disrespect thing, but some words/names are really hard to say if you only have experience in the one language. The franco side of my family always pronounced my name kevin, an incredibly anglo name with the french accent, always coming out like 'kevune'. Kinda like...:

Was just normal for me, I guess.

Just yesterday I joked around with the guy at Subway because the word Cheddar is just so ugly in french.

What is funny is that Sun Media is own by a French Quebecer, Pierre Karl Péladeau.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
I think when they at least try it's okay. Of course someone who is not speaking french regularly wont be able to say some names properly. I can write okay in english but i'm terrible at speaking it. I know how to say most of the words. In my head it's clear. My tongue simply can't do it lol

As long as someone is trying it shows respect and i don't mind.

I don't mind Brodure. I did not mind Roah that much. But i think it's a little stupid to say Celine Dionne. Cause Dionne is a real name in french too. Like Marcel Dionne the retired NHL player. It's not the same name as Dion and the prononciation is not really that close. Prople could at least try to say Dion. I know it's hard but trying never killed anyone

I'm still trying to say three the right way after like 10 years playing games online rofl. It reminds me a joke someone i was playing WoW with told me. French can't count to 4 in english because there's a tree in the way XD
If you can pronounce the words brother or butter or border you can pronouce the name Brodeur

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:25 PM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
If you can pronounce the words brother or butter or border you can pronouce the name Brodeur
Yeah you're right did not think about it.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
It's one of those sports that isn't fun to watch if you never played it.

Played curling for a year when I was in HS. It's surprisingly difficult. In a way, it feels a bit like playing pool.
Well, ill give you that, its easier to have an appreciation of a sport if you have actually played it. I have not.

I'm sure its not easy, but its unwatchable for me.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:38 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I enjoy curling once every four year. You have to respect the strategy behind every shot.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Adriatic

Watching the Olympics on NBC from time to time makes me appreciate CBC so much these days. I could not think what it would be having to rely on NBC as my sole source for watching Olympics.

Adriatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 04:08 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Thing about Sun Media is that 49% of its shares are owned by Quebecor. I have family relative who works for another subsidiary of Quebecor, TVA, and his general opinion is that this is a dick move to rile up french speakers, with the obvious side benefit of free promotion.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

http://www.affairesdegars.com/page/a...de-sotchi.html

For you les boys.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote