HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Thread (ALL NON-HOCKEY TALK)

Old
02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
CDN Olympic Team ‏@CDNOlympicTeam 2 min
Typical Moir: walks in, pumps fist, "first to the press conference." #WeAreWinter

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 01:34 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
This article was posted today from Beverley Smith.

Something rotten in the state of Sochi

http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/...tate-of-sochi/

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 01:48 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
This article was posted today from Beverley Smith.

Something rotten in the state of Sochi

http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/...tate-of-sochi/
When the creator of the Finnstep says Moir and Virtue did it better and can't understand why the Americans got better marks...

Even experts are backing up Tessa and Scott.

Old
02-17-2014, 01:54 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
When the creator of the Finnstep says Moir and Virtue did it better and can't understand why the Americans got better marks...

Even experts are backing up Tessa and Scott.
And yet all I read in response to this is US "fans" saying this is only coming up because Canadians are ******** that their team lost when it isn't even Canadians complaining about the judging.

Old
02-17-2014, 01:57 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
And yet all I read in response to this is US "fans" saying this is only coming up because Canadians are ******** that their team lost when it isn't even Canadians complaining about the judging.
Ice skate judging has been a joke for as long as the sport has been around. There is so much favoritism that the favorites have to basically fall about three times to lose their chance at medals.

The Canadians got treated like they were Subban

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Not even a theory, it happened before and could have happened again.
IE Jamie Salé and David Pelletier at Salt Lake.
True dat!

Google Marie-Reine Le Gougne and Didier Gailhaguet.

(MiG is going right now)

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Ice skate judging has been a joke for as long as the sport has been around. There is so much favoritism that the favorites have to basically fall about three times to lose their chance at medals.

The Canadians got treated like they were Subban
Dick Pound considered removing the ice dance competition from the Olympics if they couldn't get they're act together after the 2002 scandal I believe. It wouldn't surprise me to eventually see it removed from the Olympics someday if this type of bad press about the judging keeps coming up all the time.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:50 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Dick Pound considered removing the ice dance competition from the Olympics if they couldn't get they're act together after the 2002 scandal I believe. It wouldn't surprise me to eventually see it removed from the Olympics someday if this type of bad press about the judging keeps coming up all the time.
Events that are judged must have complete transparency. On top of that, there must be a mechanism for corrections when a judge makes an inadvertent error. See Sylvie Frechette and Kristin Babbs Sprague. Sprague could have been remembered for the greatest single act of sportsmanship in Olympic history had she insisted on Frechette receiving her well earned gold. Instead, she's an anonymous statistic in an unpopular sport.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
True dat!

Google Marie-Reine Le Gougne and Didier Gailhaguet.

(MiG is going right now)
More than

This kind of people are parasites. Not to mention our national ice-hockey federation went independent from the other ice sports clowns only recently. So many years of mismanagement really hurt the development of the sport here. I'm glad these days are over

Last edited by Moen is Gone: 02-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:21 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
More than
Ah les Français...

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Figure skating is a beautiful sport but I stopped watching in the days of the Duchesnay's when they were continually being cheated by the corrupt judging. I now switch channels every time I see it on TV. They should take figure skating out of the Olympics until they clean up their act once and for all.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
Ah les Français...

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Blade8019

will there be an investigation or is this ******** permanent?

Blade8019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:51 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Where's the baguette?

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Dunno, based on my amateur observation of both performances the US team was pretty solid.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:57 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade8019 View Post
will there be an investigation or is this ******** permanent?
I highly doubt anything will come out of it other than placing doubt in peoples minds yet again. It's kinda sad for the competitors that the sport will likely never be taken seriously because of constant questionable judging concerns. They're killing the sport themselves and when they finally do they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

Old
02-17-2014, 04:32 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
I highly doubt anything will come out of it other than placing doubt in peoples minds yet again. It's kinda sad for the competitors that the sport will likely never be taken seriously because of constant questionable judging concerns. They're killing the sport themselves and when they finally do they'll have no one to blame but themselves.
Perhaps after Ice Dance is gone we can look forward to more daring sports like darts or better yet , mixed whack-a-mole!

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 04:32 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Dunno, based on my amateur observation of both performances the US team was pretty solid.
The question isn't that they weren't.

It's just that most experts say Virtue and Moir weren't 3 points behind them.

The finnstep is just an example. Davis and White had 4 points, Virtue and Moir, 3 points. But yet, the creator of the element said Virtue and Moir were better.

Petri Kokko ‏@coccco 16 févr.
Hope @Virtue_Moir wins. Americans timing off in the #finnstep and restrained even otherwise.

Petri Kokko ‏@coccco 16 févr.
I don't understand the judging in #icedancing. @Virtue_Moir should be leading in my honest opinion. #finnstep #Sochi2014

He did give praises to Davis and White though.

Petri Kokko ‏@coccco 4 h
Congratulations Davis & White for a gorgeous free and well deserved Olympic gold medal. Simply breathtaking! #Sochi2014

I agree Davis and White deserves their medal but there was something fishy with judging. Basically, everything what the article sais about Russians and Americans having a deal happened.

Canada still got 3 silver medals so congrats to all!

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 02-17-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old
02-17-2014, 04:35 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Canadians should have had the gold, the Russians were even better today than the Americans.

I don't know twizzles from twizzlers but I know talent when I see it.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Blade8019

after MURICA the new usa nick name will be MURIFIX

Blade8019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Player? Sure. But he's no less of an athlete than Crosby. Same for Rochette vs Chan. These are people that (most likely) dedicated most of their lives to a sport they love.
Fair enough - I may have worded it wrong then. Still - wasn't cool to say when she became such an idol in Canada after the last Olympics.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
She probably is... but it doesn't mean she can guarantee a medal for Hudec with so many skiers left. It's not about jinxing Hudec or anything, it's just unprofessional as an analyst.

I hated it when Brunet did it back then, calling a Habs win after the Habs gets a 2 goals lead with 10 minutes left in the game. So annoying.
It's because the best skiiers go from like 16-25 or something. And then the other top skiiers are in the Top-30. Anyone after 30 is pretty much an afterthought. Sure, it's possible they could win, but when their average finishes on the World Cup circuit is like 40 and they've never finished above 30th... it's pretty much a lock. Skiing is like that, if you watch it often. I've never seen the announcers be wrong after the first 25-30 skiiers Super G.

It would kind of be like the Team Canada women beating the Team Canada men. I mean it could happen, technically, but whats the chance?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984

Quote:
Gotlib FTW

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Not sure If I understand well but if true....it's not really hard to know why people might feel that the fix is on OR that figure skating is still badly judged.

First, it seems that the judges are allowed to watch the teams' practices. Why the heck are they allowing that? Which other sports allows that? And in what kind of environment are they permitting this? Can they talk with each other? Is there a strategy in place where you try to show off a lot during practices that could influence judges?

Then, and most importantly, seems that the judges, after the short performances, are freakin allowed to meet and talk amongst themselves and see who voted what, who was right, who was wrong....don't you think that a small group could form and try to convince others to vote thier way?

Then, the famous coach they both have in common....Why the heck would Tessa and Scott go for that? That coach was with the Americans for 14 years. With the Canadiens for 10 years. Any chance she has more chemistry with the US? And as another Russian coach said something along the likes of...."Well, she's Russian, and if she has that Russian mentality, she might have chosen the winners already"...as if it's the US couple to win. I mean, she knows both choregraphies. She knows what one does that the other doesn't. She has to know EXACTLY what makes a choregraphpy better than another one. I really have no idea why they didn't pick another coach....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
On the Curling side of the games....I mean.....don't get your hopes too high. I mean, Canadiens have a new record...unbeaten during the Olympics. Never happened. And yet....they'l meet freakin Muirhead in the semi-finals. She has been inconsistent this week but if there's one girl you always have to be afraid of, it's her. Incredible that a 1-4 match involves her.....Won't be easy for Jones.

And Jacobs gets the freakin chinese machine. Wow, honestly, won't be easy for both teams. And I HATE this format. It makes no sense to use a simple 1-4, 2-3 format. This is not the Adams Division playing here....where the 1st team will surely advance when the 4th team is 30 points behind. This is a sport where clearly the first 4 teams is almost identical EVEN despite the scorers and record. Page is CLEARLY the best format. Gives the #1-#2 a chance to rest, while the loser has another shot....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote