HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rads

Old
02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Rads

Now that the Russian dream is over, I want to vent about Rads.
He was/is our best homegrown forward. He scored 26 goals in his last full year with us. I decided to run out on his contract and go home. We retained his rights. He excelled in the KHL, winning MVP. He was still obligated to play the last year of his rookie contract with us for $900K.

We dramatically bring him back in 2012 for the stretch run. We’re stacked with him, Suts, and AK46. He plays 9 regular season games, and nets 7 points. He plays 8 playoff games, and nets 6 points. He has a bad Game 2 and gets roasted by Mike Milbury. He misses curfew (some say by 15 minutes, other longer) and sits for two pivotal playoff games. We lose a series we should have won in 5 games, and he becomes the scapegoat.

Now, by playing the 9 regular season games, he satisfies the last year of his rookie contract. He’s an RFA. We can sign him or trade his rights. He don’t sign him, he returns to the KHL, and we’re left empty-handed.

The mistakes here are numerous.

Why let him come back for 9 games and blow the leverage you have on him returning the NHL. You could have held out for a full season and really see what he’s got. Nope, we decide to bring him back to help us win a Cup.

OK, if you’re gonna do that, then you must plan on signing him as an RFA after the season so you can still get max value. After all, he’s your best offensive player.

But we let him go. Why? Cause he’s a bad apple. After all, he missed curfew. How dare he not follow the rules. We only let boy scouts play for the Preds. Our rules are more important than winning. We don’t make exceptions. After all, Rads is Russian and the decision-makers are Canadian. Canadian’s view Russians are soft, wild, undisciplined, and disrespectful. They’re too emotional (Sully telling Rads to tone down the goal celebration; Arnott getting concussed during a celebration near the boards when Rads rushed him with joy). Also, because Rads is talented, he’s got a little prima donna in him. That’s doesn’t fly in Smashville. After all, we reward guys who try hard but suck. We have no tolerance for guys who don’t always try hard, take some dumb penalties, but on their worst day are better than most on the team.

So, not only don’t we sign him, but we publicly trash him so his trade value plummets. Why? Why would you de-value a valuable asset?

Cuz we’re righteous.

So we end up with nothing, Rads goes back to the KHL, and they make him Captain! Rads is many things, but Captain is not one of them. He’s eventually stripped of the “C”, and the Pred Front Office smiles and says, “I told you so”. Bad apple. Meanwhile, Rads is still playing well.

Olympics comes, Rads takes two penalties, Milbury piles on again, they give up two goals, and lose in the Shootout. Rads is blamed. Poile smiles again. “See, I told you so”. Coach threatens to scratch him. But wait, he plays the next two games and is the best forward on the team. Works his butt off. Scores, assists, hits, everything.
He’s colorful, talented, and our property. We need scoring in the worst way, but not enough to have a big enough tent to fit and non-Goody-Two-Shoe’s Sniper who doesn’t fit the Canadian moral code.

Think about what we did. We gave him the Death Penalty for shoplifting. HE MISSED CURFEW!! How many NHL players do you think miss curfew that you never hear about? We had a guy who beat up his wife and we didn’t get rid of him. Why do we idolize the Spalings of the world and not find a way to fit in a free spirit with huge talent?

Using the Trotz/Poile Moral code, Babe Ruth would have never lasted long enough to hit 71 homers. Ty Cobb would not be in the hall of fame. Joe Namath would have been shown the door. Ali would not be allowed to fight. Let’s not even list the NFL players and their crimes. Crimes!!!!

What was Rad’s crime? Why couldn’t they have just told him not to do it again, maybe quietly fine him, then tell him to make up for it on the ice. Why create a huge distraction during the most important series in franchise history?

If the Russian coach had scratched Rads after the USA game, they would have not had all the benefit of Rads play in these last two games. Why did they play him? Because they’re supposed to give themselves the best chance of winning by playing their best players.
We’re not playing in a Church League. We’re not building young men. We’re playing professional sports, asking people to spend huge bucks to see the best play.

Poile was naïve about Rads. When he brought him back, he should have been prepared to accept some of this behavior as long as it didn’t get stupid. Instead, it was as if he was on Double Secret Probation. One screw up, one more….. If having more guys who are “good in the room” won Cups, we’d have 5 banners hanging by now.
Gee, I wonder why high-flying dynamic players don’t come here. Could part of it be the sheep-like culture that worships Paul Gaustad but casts exuberant Russian’s as evil. The Kings won a Cup last year with two of the biggest partiers in the league. They’re adults. It’s about winning. Rads on 2 hours sleep can skate circles around Spaling with 8 hours sleep.

Rads played his heart out this week. He played harder than anyone on that team. I’d be proud to have him in a Preds sweater on Feb. 27th. He’s a Pred. He should be here, playing on the #1 line scoring 30 goals, and being fun to watch. Remember what it was like to have players who were fun to watch. PK, Sully, Rads, Arnott, etc.
But alas, it’s not meant to be. We stick to our system/culture/work-ethic and trot out 20 guys you’d like to have your daughter date. Meanwhile, Bad-Boy Rads, the serial curfew-misser roams the streets of Russia. Thank God Trotz/Poile made it safe for us Pred fans to not be threatened by unruly Rads.

Lets see, 30 goals but an occasional missed curfew? No brainer, right? Right. Radulov out. Clune in.

Ugh.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 06:15 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
well, a difference would be in the olympics, it was bad play (bad penalties), nothing to do with motivation or effort or decision-making or rule-breaking. Rads isn't here because you can't invest in a guy who doesn't honor his word/commitments, whether that's to his team through his contract, or to his teammates by honoring the rules they all agree to honor.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
PFL615

You flew over the big negative about Radulov but went into great detail over your spotlight on him not committing a "felony"

Radulov up and left the Predators organization to go back to Russia. That is HUGE! Trust and fulfilling a contract in a professional setting is a big big deal. He has done so many stupid and immature things you could write a book about them. You left those incidents out as well.

The Predators were desperate to be successful in the playoffs and IMO did Radulov a favor and in a way gave him a second chance to make things right with Nashville. Well, Radulov could not even do something as simple as follow a simple team rule.

Why the hell would any million dollar organization want to give him more chances when he had a chance to make things right and still blew it on something stupid??

That's great Radulov is a star in the KHL and that is where he belongs. Not in gold or any other NHL color. He had his shot at the NHL twice. He ran away once and blew it with the same team giving him a 2nd chance.

Good riddance Radulov. No medal for you!

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
predfan98

hehehe........Rads is that you?

Rads: Nope, I'm loving Russia too much and all my $$......I don't think about Nashville at all.......

"church league, canadian moral code, Double Secret Probation".....wowzer...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Nitrous Mafia

wait, who is the wife beater?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Poile, the oft referred to as timid in his draft picks, took a risk on guy with talent that fell down the draft board because of personality issues. Those issues bit the team in the butt.

The benefit of Radulov's play in the Olympics = elimination before the semis and the threat of benching from the coach. For all of his talent, the ten cent head keeps revealing itself.

I seem to have missed the Church of Gaustad and Radulov's death penalty. He was suspended for ONE GAME ... then kept out of the next because the team won and the coach went with a roster that won. The mistake was bringing him back at all, not in suspending him for breaking team rules. Yes ... rules. Those things that he feels don't apply to him in the locker room or regarding contracts.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
cleangene

And when he did return to the lineup in the 2012 playoffs, he did get a hat trick that carried the Preds to games 6 and 7, where he again put the team on his back leading them into the Western Finals and eventually the Stanley Cup Finals, correct?

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:11 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Radulov up and left the Predators organization to go back to Russia. That is HUGE! Trust and fulfilling a contract in a professional setting is a big big deal. He has done so many stupid and immature things you could write a book about them. You left those incidents out as well.

The Predators were desperate to be successful in the playoffs and IMO did Radulov a favor and in a way gave him a second chance to make things right with Nashville. Well, Radulov could not even do something as simple as follow a simple team rule.

Why the hell would any million dollar organization want to give him more chances when he had a chance to make things right and still blew it on something stupid??

That's great Radulov is a star in the KHL and that is where he belongs. Not in gold or any other NHL color. He had his shot at the NHL twice. He ran away once and blew it with the same team giving him a 2nd chance.

Good riddance Radulov. No medal for you!
This begs the question, would he have left if Trotz didn't run such a rigid, demanding system? We'll never know the answer in Rads case. But it is a relevant question when UFAs decide to play for other coaches in different systems and more often than not spurn the Predators organization.

I'm glad Radulov isn't a Predator. He's a man-child who rarely makes mature decisions. I do, however, wonder if the organization is missing out on talented players in part because of the boyscout mindset. I respect Poile and Trotz for their insistence to "do the right thing". At the same time, it would be nice to give talented players a longer leash.

When the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls, Jimmie Johnson openly admitted that his superstars where treated differently than his role players.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:14 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
I think Sergei Krivokrasov was arrested for this??? But he didn't last long with the Predators after the incident.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:16 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
And when he did return to the lineup in the 2012 playoffs, he did get a hat trick that carried the Preds to games 6 and 7, where he again put the team on his back leading them into the Western Finals and eventually the Stanley Cup Finals, correct?
Twice, blindfolded, uphill both ways, while saving kittens.

Old
02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
adsfan

I wish the Preds could have traded Rads and gotten something for him. Poile did get what he could out of Rads. In the long run, Nashville is better off without him!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:28 PM
RCola88

I agree with OP. I'd take Radulov back in a second.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:19 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
I agree with OP. I'd take Radulov back in a second.
Nyet! He would disrupt the team sooner or later.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Why are we even discussing this turd?

I wouldn't take him back if he played for free and brought both kostitsyns with him.

Some people just aren't worth the trouble

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:39 PM
originalpredfan

I just have to comment on this as it has bugged me since day one. Trotz never was and never will be the type of NHL coach who can handle a talented individual who doesn't fit his mold. If Trotz could put 4 lines of Spalings on the ice he would be happy. For those of you who hate Rads because he left us for the KHL you need to look yourself in the mirror because you are Hypocrites. If you were originally from Florida and after college took a job in Nashville for $40,000 a year, and than someone offered you a chance to move back home to Florida for $400,000 a year don't for a minute try to tell me you wouldn't, and you certainly wouldn't give two weeks notice either.

originalpredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:41 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Varlomov?

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalpredfan View Post
I just have to comment on this as it has bugged me since day one. Trotz never was and never will be the type of NHL coach who can handle a talented individual who doesn't fit his mold. If Trotz could put 4 lines of Spalings on the ice he would be happy. For those of you who hate Rads because he left us for the KHL you need to look yourself in the mirror because you are Hypocrites. If you were originally from Florida and after college took a job in Nashville for $40,000 a year, and than someone offered you a chance to move back home to Florida for $400,000 a year don't for a minute try to tell me you wouldn't, and you certainly wouldn't give two weeks notice either.
You're full of crap.

Trotz had no problem handling kariya, sullivan, arnott, dumont and erat. They were hardly "his mold" the way you put it out there.

You are making excuses for a guy who has no idea what it takes to be a professional athlete in a team sport. That includes the fact that he showed no respect or understanding of the meaning of a valid legal contract. Radulov is a piece of dung. And your job analogy is totally irrelevant to an nhl player. He's not an accountant for cripes sake

Old
02-19-2014, 10:28 PM
originalpredfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
You're full of crap.

Trotz had no problem handling kariya, sullivan, arnott, dumont and erat. They were hardly "his mold" the way you put it out there.

You are making excuses for a guy who has no idea what it takes to be a professional athlete in a team sport. That includes the fact that he showed no respect or understanding of the meaning of a valid legal contract. Radulov is a piece of dung. And your job analogy is totally irrelevant to an nhl player. He's not an accountant for cripes sake
I take it you have no mirrors in your house?

originalpredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 10:50 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Since when does having standards make one a hypocrite?

Old
02-19-2014, 10:53 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Are you serious? Huge difference in professional sports and a "job back home"

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I take it you have no mirrors in your house?
I have plenty of mirrors, but I was raised by an attorney so I understand that if I sign a contract I am legally bound to honor that contract even if a much better offer comes along. What I wonder is how you were raised if you think nothing of breaking a binding legal agreement made between yourself and another party.

Old
02-19-2014, 11:23 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Rads had a contract and you would be sued for breach of contract if you left a year early. He left the country he didn't just go to Florida.
Would I honor my contract? YES. If you are so valuable to get offered that much money then somebody else would give it to you a year later. Character matters. If you want to be someone who skips out on your commitments then fine. I would be able to look at myself in the mirror just fine.

INDhockeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

the curfew thing was the straw that broke the camels back. We can focus on that, but let us forget about him holding up flights because he was late. and not minutes, sometimes (yes, more than once) over an hour. Or his fancy for some ice girls, something that is a no-no for both players as well as employees of the team. There were other things too, but that is some of the immature, above the law crap he pulled here.

I say that and those who know me know I am a rads fan. But the kid doesn't need to be here.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I have plenty of mirrors, but I was raised by an attorney so I understand that if I sign a contract I am legally bound to honor that contract even if a much better offer comes along. What I wonder is how you were raised if you think nothing of breaking a binding legal agreement made between yourself and another party.
Hello James Franklin. Volde, you're right, a contract is a contract but in the sports world, it is a different animal. How many college coaches move on while being signed by a school? You don't see it in pro sports except in this one instance with Rads. He's a schmo. He needed to be gone. While it would be nice to have his talents on the ice, everything else outweighs what he can bring to the ice and more importantly, the team concept.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Armourboy

People tend to forget he was trouble before he got here, and he's had his issues after he's been here as well. Regardless of how well he played ( and much like Randy Moss he only did it when he wanted to) there is a certain level of professionalism all sports teams ask its players to have. Now some owner and organizations are willing to let things go a bit more, but even crazy ass Al Davis had his limits.

The Preds didn't hurt his trade value, quite honestly the minute he went back to Russia he had zero value. No professional sports team is gonna give you squat for someone they can't even trust to stick around. Thats why he had nor will ever have any value much, not a single person in the NHL trusts him.

As far as his great play in those two games in the Olympics, well he is Russian and was in Russia, I'm pretty sure he got more than just a talking to by the coach. Something tells me he probably got a phone call that made him decide it was time to play.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote